Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dewgy posted:

It's in alpha, but it's also at 3.0. Totally normal.

Please note that version numbers, no matter what, are 100% arbitrary. Convention does state that pre release builds start with 0 but the is no standard at all for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

iospace posted:

Please note that version numbers, no matter what, are 100% arbitrary. Convention does state that pre release builds start with 0 but the is no standard at all for them.

Right, which is why I am looking forward to 3.01176axt360noscope release.

That will be the real Jesus patch.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Exposure posted:

This is from their backer update after their year of inactivity:

It's really fascinating, it's almost like, a nega-CIG in terms of what happened to the game.

I appreciate the real honesty about the failure there. Gamedev has ups and downs, and I have no doubt that a dedicated crew that can be honest about the cause of failure- in this case, they backed the wrong engine- will eventually be successful. Looks like a cool game and I wish them the best of luck. It does further reinforce why kickstarter is such a completely poo poo way to launch game dev studios, though. You can have a great concept and solid tech and be halfway to release and your product will still fail due to outside circumstance, and no publisher will be interested in taking a risk on you because the investment/reward ratio is so bad for pc gaming.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

James Y. Pak Counsel, Intellectual Property Litigation

James Y. Pak focuses his practice on litigating intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation.

Kevin J. Minnick Counsel, Litigation

Kevin Minnick's practice focuses on large-scale class action defense, primarily involving consumer protection and securities laws. He also has represented clients in qui tam, patent and appellate matters.

P. Anthony Sammi Partner, Intellectual Property Litigation

P. Anthony Sammi is head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He litigates complex, high-profile IP cases at the trial and appellate levels.

APPLICATION of Non-Resident Attorney Kurt Wm. Hemr to Appear Pro Hac Vice on behalf of Plaintiff Crytek GmbH (Pro Hac Vice Fee - Fee Paid, Receipt No. 0973-20978921) filed by plaintiff Crytek GmbH. (Minni ck, Kevin)

Kurt Wm. Hemr Partner, Litigation

Kurt Hemr’s practice focuses on securities and insurance product litigation, intellectual property litigation, corporate governance disputes, and other forms of complex civil litigation.

Bio posted:

Mr. Hemr, a member of the Skadden team selected as a finalist for The American Lawyer’s 2017 Litigation Department of the Year, also has represented individual and corporate clients in internal investigations and in proceedings before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulators.

Mr. Hemr’s experience includes representing:
  • ZeniMax Media Inc. in litigation, co-leading a team that won a $500 million verdict on copyright infringement, breach of nondisclosure agreement and other claims relating to misappropriated virtual reality technology;
  • the directors of EMC Corporation in post-merger litigation that resulted in a landmark Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court decision establishing the standard for such litigation in Massachusetts;
  • Aspen Technology, Inc. in litigation in Texas, co-leading a team that won an $11 million verdict on trade secret misappropriation and other intellectual property claims, and successfully defending that verdict on appeal before the Fifth Circuit;
  • MassMutual in a putative class action challenging that company’s payment of dividends and retention of policyholder surplus under Massachusetts statutes;
  • MassMutual in a putative class action involving deferred compensation plans for its senior sales personnel, which resulted in a complete victory for the client that was subsequently affirmed on appeal by the First Circuit;
  • AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company, Pacific Life Insurance Company, and other life insurance companies in product litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States, both in individual actions and in purported class actions;
  • a global financial services firm in obtaining summary judgment on antitrust claims in an action in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts;
  • a mutual fund complex in SEC and state regulatory proceedings involving allegations of improper “market timing” trading, and in related civil litigation;
  • a major shareholder of a significant New England private company in disputes with the company’s other shareholders; and
  • Massachusetts businesses in suits enforcing non-competition and non-solicitation agreements with key employees, including by obtaining preliminary injunctions enforcing those agreements.
From 2000 to 2017, Mr. Hemr headed the Boston office’s pro bono program. In 2007, he represented the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in a widely publicized dispute with an artist who had stopped work on an artistic installation in the museum’s largest gallery. He also has successfully represented refugees seeking asylum, prisoners seeking protection of their civil rights, and nonprofit groups trying to avoid regulatory pitfalls.

In addition to courts in Massachusetts, Mr. Hemr is admitted to practice in federal and state courts in New York, and in federal district and appellate courts across the country. He is a director of the Boston Public Market Association, a nonprofit civic organization that brought a permanent, year-round farmers’ market to downtown Boston.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

iospace posted:

While this is true, it does kind of back up the idea that CIG has no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

this is one hell of a video.

He's a moron, and a coward. This is the Shillizen who backed out of debating (he would have been crushed, of course) me live on GameTalkLive a few weeks ago.

They're all doing disaster control, following the 3.0 disaster release.

I left him a message. I'm probably getting banned.

quote:

Derek Smart
2 seconds ago
I have a question. Were you drunk when @ 11:05 you claimed that they had met every stretch goal?

You see, this is why we keep track, and why only devout backers need pay ANY attention to what you guys ( have a vested interest in lying) have to say. This is a COMPLETE list of everything Chris promised. Even discounting 3.0, they haven't even made it to 18% completed yet. After 6 yrs and $175M.

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 27, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mirificus posted:

CIG's death sentence.

LOL. I need to get my backlog of photoshop ideas cleared before CIG is turned into a financially desiccated husk.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Exposure posted:

This is from their backer update after their year of inactivity:

It's really fascinating, it's almost like, a nega-CIG in terms of what happened to the game.

Sounds familiar. We were in the same boat with LOD over the Havok Vision Engine. Hence the reason we're porting to UE4.

NOV 2016 excerpt from that lengthy dev update above:

quote:

THE BEST LAID PLANS

Another year is now ending and we’ve faced and are still facing challenges in various areas. Though this game isn’t even my biggest or most complex to date, most of the challenges have come from the usual nightmares derived from building (1, 2, 3, 4) a custom engine and game from scratch. Time passes, technology improves, the gaming landscape changes etc. A game designed in 2010 (following the release of our previous two games in 2009) and which goes into full blown custom engine development in 2011, outside of being a heavily marketed triple-A title (even those tend to face major challenges e.g. the excellent Titanfall 2, Mafia III, No Man’s Sky etc) will find it hard to compete if it cannot stay abreast of changes, or find its core target audience.

One of the challenges we’ve had these past months is due to the end-of-life support for the Havok Vision Engine (was Trinigy Vision Engine prior to the Havok purchase in 2011) which we used as our baseline engine. Not only is Havok no longer licensing (it doesn’t even appear on the website anymore) it, but the development of next-gen console (PS4, XBox One) versions of that engine was in a state of flux – right up until it was “no longer planned”. Thinking that Microsoft’s acquisition (in Q4 2015) of Havok from Intel would rekindle those efforts, sadly, that hasn’t happened – yet. So, for all intent and purposes, HVE is deprecated and dead. And we simply couldn’t wait.

Which means that going forward, we have had to make the decision to port the underlying base engine (Vision Engine) to another comparable middleware engine. We looked at a few, almost settling for Unity 5 but decided to go with Unreal Engine 4 instead; mostly due to it’s C++ core and component system which closely matche ours; thus making it an easier task.

Unlike our multi-platform title (which we developed as a marketing promo for the larger LOD game), Line Of Defense Tactics which was developed (I setup another third-party team for that) from scratch with Unity 4, and which then also ended up on XBox One (we developed that in-house, and not with the third-party team) almost a year following release on other platforms, we don’t have the luxury of starting from scratch with this much larger and more complex game which is purely C++ based.

The problem with using different engines for the same game release, aside from update parity, is that it gets to be resource intensive, requires completely separate teams etc. So the end result is that we would have a PC game developed with a Havok based custom engine, and a console version developed with the more powerful and robust UE4. Even with using separate teams as I did with LOD Tactics, like that game, there will still be resource overlap due to asset conversions, game design and features etc. And I’d have to hire more people due to the increased workload.

So, going into 2017, I have to decide whether to i) release the PC version as planned with the current Havok based engine, then release the UE4 powered console version later in the year or ii) just port to UE4, then do a multi-platform release as we did before with LOD Tactics.

While going to the far superior UE4 not only gives us a far more versatile and powerful base engine than HVE, with vastly superior and dramatically improved visuals, we also get out-of-the-box support for PBR, HDR and 4K. It is also the less risky approach in terms of marketing as well as competing technologies. The downside is that it is also a more expensive approach because putting the PC release on hold while transitioning to UE4 means no game to sell for a game that’s nearing completion. Not to mention the added costs of the port (which also entails a LOT of art and model asset improvements to take advantage of UE4).

Until I make a final decision by year end, everything is progressing as normal. But once that decision is made, I will of course be posting an update.

HOW TO ACCESS THE GAME

We disabled the Steam store page back in April and moved it into Closed Beta Test (CBT) for more focused testing, less drama, distraction etc. Since that time, you could no longer purchase it on Steam. However, Digital River still has some Starter Kit and TAK commercial keys (Steam) left. You can get them from here. When we need additional testers, we will again be giving out free keys (which do expire!!) via our CBT program. As we have enough testers already, we don’t expect to re-enable the Steam store until we complete some of the final goal milestones.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

so what if the litigator has an amazing record and is a graduate from harvard? Did he (co)write an IP law book? Thought so goonies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dewgy posted:

While this is true, it does kind of back up the idea that CIG has no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

I believe Elite did the same thing. I'm reading it as "pre-alpha version 3".

My big thing is there's a lot to go after CIG for, version numbers is the lowest of low hanging fruit.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Cao Ni Ma posted:

so what if the litigator has an amazing record and is a graduate from harvard? Did he (co)write an IP law book? Thought so goonies

They better get ready for the fire and the fury!

:lol:

I wonder if that guy and the "Let's rub" guy and the Stimpire guy know what they started. They've become legends without even trying

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The jury would be instructed not to blink while the Stimperor is on the stand.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

big nipples big life posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Years from now, when Star Citizen comes out is but a forgotten memory, this line will still make me smile.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Xaerael posted:

See, it's a joke about how everyone's going to die of old age before Chris finishes his lovely game.

Alternately, a perfectly straight-faced commentary on how space games are disproportionately patronized by older guys potentially out of touch with modern gaming, and perhaps even, dare we suggest it, modern game development.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I Have No Boner, But I Believe It Is A Scam.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:siren: Attention! :siren: Public Service Announcement!

Charlie Hall, Swofford crony and perpertrator of the doxxing of streetroller for Polygon, is emailing all contributors to https://starcitizentracker.github.io trying to get them to give up a contact to the main guys. Do not reply and do not give him a platform for his "balance"!

:siren: Attention! :siren:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/946049395308531712

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Montoya seemed ok when I was in TEST (before I fell from Christ Roberts's grace) but yeah I'm pretty sure he's an old EVE dude, despite statements to the contrary.

Also :laffo: at Charlie digging for dirt.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mirificus posted:

APPLICATION of Non-Resident Attorney Kurt Wm. Hemr to Appear Pro Hac Vice on behalf of Plaintiff Crytek GmbH (Pro Hac Vice Fee - Fee Paid, Receipt No. 0973-20978921) filed by plaintiff Crytek GmbH. (Minni ck, Kevin)

Kurt Wm. Hemr Partner, Litigation

Kurt Hemr’s practice focuses on securities and insurance product litigation, intellectual property litigation, corporate governance disputes, and other forms of complex civil litigation.

Sorry for the anime again, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIkcSu0EH-s&t=5s

Except Skadden won't show that sort of restraint.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

:siren: Attention! :siren: Public Service Announcement!

Charlie Hall, Swofford crony and perpertrator of the doxxing of streetroller for Polygon, is emailing all contributors to https://starcitizentracker.github.io trying to get them to give up a contact to the main guys. Do not reply and do not give him a platform for his "balance"!

:siren: Attention! :siren:

:laffo:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Montoya seemed ok when I was in TEST (before I fell from Christ Roberts's grace) but yeah I'm pretty sure he's an old EVE dude, despite statements to the contrary.

Also :laffo: at Charlie digging for dirt.

I can't watch Montoya, it's painful. Darwin would be fascinated by the declining numbers of Citizens, survival of the dumbest.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

star citizen is great because its by and for people who make weird assertions about realism but dont actually know anything.

realistic:

- gravity goo
- space dogfights
- reactionless drives

unrealistic

- unobstructed cockpit views
- space internet
- 30 fps

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FailureToReport posted:

Star Citizen is literally 2-3 years minimum behind getting the basic mechanics Elite Dangerous has into their build, but because you can get up from your seat, it's MUCH MUCH deeper than that lovely game Elite!

I’d love to agree with estimates like this but I’m not sure if it’s feasible. Elite was built from the ground up with their particular brand of multiplayer functionality. I believe it even caused an issue because they had to disable “single player” mode, which was a promised feature.

Star Citizen wants to be an mmo, or which they have no groundwork set. They are significantly longer away from anything close to Elite for this feature alone. They can, of course, dump the mmo aspect and make it a small-scale arena game with friends, but I have a feeling that would be hugely negative for them at this point.

People are buying Star Citizen the mmo, with very expensive ship pre orders. There are delusions of it unseating Eve as the defacto space mmo. People put lots of dollars down to be space aces with Firefly and be like Han Solo while getting a big jump on the space poles who will join with Aurora packages.

Star Citizen, to be realized even at half of what was promised, needs to be a literal technological evolution. Just getting my NPCs aboard a star liner on a ship flying through the middle of a space war outside where marines are shooting other marines inside those ships and you can watch all this happening through the windows of your ship into the windows of another ship... is a monumental networking achievement. It can probably be done in a single player game, but add in the mmo factor and everything goes to hell pretty fast.

CIG needs too guys working on these problems, who can do more than hold up their hands and shout “meshing technology!” Somebody actually needs to build this stuff.

And this isn’t even taking into account AI or physics simulations everywhere, even at a very arbitrary and basic level. Hell, just getting a physics ball to roll the same way for everybody over a network can be a challenging thing.

I think you’re easily over a decade away from seeing even a rudimentary version of what’s been promised to gamers. The demos would need to stop happening, because it’s not actually making a game. The motion capture would need to stop because it’s useless right now, and will be outdated years later when this is able to actually release. All the “fun stuff” that doesn’t involve being neck deep in really complex code and creative solutions needs to stop. Chris Roberts would need to show real progress instead of pretending to make progress.

But that won’t ever happen, because funding would dry up. That SC is always (current + .1) versions away to meeting everybody’s wildest dreams is what keeps it all alive.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Something tells me he overcooks his steak.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

RescueFreak posted:

With ketchup. You just don't understand steak development.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

It's amazing that the star citizen demographic is entirely composed of top notch game devs.

And lawyers and bankers. Sometimes all simultaneously. It’s pretty much the best. :allears:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

RescueFreak posted:

He asks for it rare but the chef just keeps asking for more money and cooking it for longer and longer.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Note that you also want to make sure your pagefile is on your SSD as well, as 16GB still isn't enough RAM(but way better than 8GB)

16 GB of RAM and they are swapping

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

And lawyers and bankers. Sometimes all simultaneously. It’s pretty much the best. :allears:

don't forget the auditors

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

uuuh what tech have they actually built though? they're just using cryengine, badly.

the crysis mechwarrior mod added more tech to the engine than star citizen has

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trump

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Xaerael posted:

Isn't Montoya one of the old Eve Redditor leaders that didn't figure out the reason we kept drubbing them during Fountain was because we had multiple alt corps still allied to TEST from back when we tolerated them?

Those guys were pretty dumb.

You're thinking of Montolio

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Mr_Hasgaha/status/946141718835073029

:gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/946156909723348993

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How much loving money and time is burned on videos and “coverage” like that e-zine instead of making the actual spaceships fly around in space without glitching into oblivion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

How much loving money and time is burned on videos and “coverage” like that e-zine instead of making the actual spaceships fly around in space without glitching into oblivion

None! One of the benefits of crowdfunding is that 100% of the funds can go toward development, instead of spending half on marketing