Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/945856463410466817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ewe2 posted:

:siren: Attention! :siren: Public Service Announcement!

Charlie Hall, Swofford crony and perpertrator of the doxxing of streetroller for Polygon, is emailing all contributors to https://starcitizentracker.github.io trying to get them to give up a contact to the main guys. Do not reply and do not give him a platform for his "balance"!

:siren: Attention! :siren:

This should be on the new page as well

Seriously, gently caress that guy

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ewe2 posted:

:siren: Attention! :siren: Public Service Announcement!

Charlie Hall, Swofford crony and perpertrator of the doxxing of streetroller for Polygon, is emailing all contributors to https://starcitizentracker.github.io trying to get them to give up a contact to the main guys. Do not reply and do not give him a platform for his "balance"!

:siren: Attention! :siren:

The gently caress does this idiot need to talk to anyone about in regards to the tracker? It speaks for itself. I know the actual answer of course, considering this is the guy who thought the art on the refund subreddit was despicable, and who tried to reveal streetroller's personal details to an angry mob.

I have never seen a single person here or anywhere else say this. Not even Derek has said that people livestreaming are faking it. No one needs to say this, it's loving broken garbage that runs, but on a wing (commander) and a prayer. I get that there's trying to be mature on the middle ground but holy poo poo guy we are 170 million into a game that only on rare occasions lets you put down a box.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts turned opportunity costs into opportunities lost.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/12/27/watch-an-hour-of-star-citizens-campaign-squadron-42

quote:

Watch an hour of Star Citizen’s campaign, Squadron 42

I must admit, it’s getting closer and closer to what a mega-budget Wing Commander sequel looks like in my imagination. One of the only things holding this chunk of footage back from being truly impressive is the performance, with some quite significant stutters as it caches and loads data. Presumably this is all captured on a top-spec development machine as well, which implies there’s a lot more optimization work to be done.

Still, it’s probably a good sign if that’s the worst of my complaints at this point. The game looks shockingly pretty, if a little grim and militaristic in its colour palette. While I don’t doubt that lesser PCs are going to have to sacrifice a few of the nicer bells and whistles in order to get a smooth performance, the consistent art direction of the game is finally shining through.

One little design quirk I find especially interesting is the choice to have your protagonist’s internal monologue echo your dialogue choices before speaking. I’m reminded a little of the orbiting thought-bubbles from Heavy Rain, although perhaps not quite as ham-fisted. The end result here is an interesting juxtaposition between what your character wants to say and what they end up actually vocalizing, and I wonder whether they’ll be used to any clever effect later on in the game.

So, are any of you feeling a little less skeptical about Star Citizen? It’s been a long road with no shortage of controversies, but I feel like the game is finally starting to look like something developed with a $150m budget, and the first high budget space combat game that we’ve seen in a very long time.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Othin posted:

Bomber Crew is really fun and is also an actual game you can play and show to friends and not be embarrassed unlike SC.

I too have been enjoying Bomber Crew, thank you all for the recommendation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I hate these people. I hate these people so goddamn much.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

chris & erin roberts = the wrong brothers

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I hadn’t had the cycles to really give the Squadron livestream a close watch until recently. This little moment struck me a little odd.

Brian Chambers makes an unequivocal declaration that Hannes and his team are fully focused on Squadron 42, “not a shared resource at all.”

And yet here is Hannes and his team on the speakerphone taking direction from Chris on the Sandworm demo being created for Gamescom 2016.

A sandworm that Foundry 42 employees later said in Jump Point was “a joke.” A demo that had no palpable informational beyond hype generation during a fundraising event. A demo which took Foundry / CIG artists and devs weeks to create, weeks they couldve spent fully focused on the promised demo for the single player game they actually are on the hook to deliver. A demo they supposedly pulled 48 hours before Gamescom. But they got so close!

Who, I wonder, was the audience for the erroneous claim? Coutts? Crytek’s lawyers?

EDIT: Actually, maybe this is aimed at the British Tax authority, to convince them Squadron is still legitimately an Anglo-centered project that should qualify anew for its big rear end tax credit. The whole video is so strangely introductory that the intended audience is most definitely not the backers.

EDIT #2: Now we know who the audience was — the investors to be named later!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 22, 2018

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Krycek posted:

I made it to 3:30 before my brain screamed "MAKE THE STUPID STOP"

I had to stop when he turned his cap backwards.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That's totally uncalled for.

Probate him from rubbing.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

juggalo baby coffin posted:

uuuh what tech have they actually built though? they're just using cryengine, badly.

the crysis mechwarrior mod added more tech to the engine than star citizen has

This is what stands out to me as well. There's all this talk about incredible advances, huge leaps forward, but to someone who knows nothing of game development they don't seem to doing anything you couldn't do in CryEngine hacked to support 64 bit positioning. People that do know, is there anything else there?

The stuff that will be genuinely groundbreaking, like dynamically partitioning players and physics simulations based on moment-to-moment load calculations, they appear to have done literally nothing on.

A $175 million prototype-in-production.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hey did Sandi lose weight or something? She's lookin' p good

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shame on you. Comparing CIG to the cartoonishly unscrupulous and ruthless House Harkonnenn is an extremely unfair comparison.

The Harkonnenns were competent.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

He has the dead eyes of a evangelist or MLM telemarketer, if they keep saying it then it might come true.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Please Mr Bootcha, may we have another video?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

Who, I wonder, was the audience for the erroneous claim? Coutts? Crytek’s lawyers? Both?

"I'll give you $1 million if you put a worm in it" JOB DONE!!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ewe2 posted:

"I'll give you $1 million if you put a worm in it" JOB DONE!!

The Portlandia "put a bird on it" sketch but with sandworms

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
So my wife has caught up with the thread. She was only peripherally aware of this whole debacle through me, but for some reason she had time on her hands while I was at work, and she dove into the terrible secret of space.

She made two points.

Point 1: This has nothing to do with a space game. In her words: "I watched Chris Roberts, and he's a dork. He's a dork's dork. He looks weird, he sounds weird, he's overweight, clumsy, and socially awkward. But he made a game, made millions, got the "girl" (such as it is), has tons of adoring fans, and now he's taking on the establishment. Everything he's doing is the wet dream of every geek in the world who's considered themselves a hopeless underdog - if he can do it, so can they! And for that reason, they have to believe he can do this. Because if it turns out Chris Roberts lied - if he is a fraud - then that means he's not one of them. And that means there's no hope for them: to make the money, get the girl, and get acceptance. They'll stay in the bottom of the social bucket for the rest of their lives. So they believe."

Point 2: Derek Smart is the hardest thing about this whole thing to believe. She was ready to believe that an autistic guy who got lucky decades ago and bought his own press came back to delude himself and others to the tune of $175 million. Easy to swallow. That thousands of fans are ready to doxx and kill anyone who disagrees with the commitment of that fraud - no problem - easy to believe. What she can't believe is that one man, who has nothing to do with this, decides "I'M GOING TO BURN THIS ALL DOWN" because of a very minor slight from the con artist, and has tirelessly committed literal years of his life with no rest to doing exactly that, like a down-syndrome terminator.

Other than that, like most women, she sees through the scam rather easily. Now when I'm at work I get my updates from her.

Poor Chris. :females: are immune to his scam. The irony is annihilating.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Honestly, for people saying Chris Roberts has any kind of charisma whatsoever, I think he has literally the same amount of it as this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhHNVguMWo

To be moreso accurate, what the shitizens are taken in (and what took me in initially a bit too, I'll admit) is the special FX and lights show of the demonstration videos during the earlier years. But the more and more that transformed into tech demos, and the less and less playable they got, the less and less 'charismatic' Chris Roberts looks. Until 2015, when somehow, surprise surprise, I perceived all his 'charisma' to evaporate together with the light and dance show becoming shittier. And also the points made above me of course, of how every angry bitter nerd wants to be him.

But the only reason why that was the case was because I could admit to myself, that I hosed up and got 'took' by him to ever give any money to him, which led to my refund. Whereas, of course, the whales that insist on double-downing on this poo poo engage in sunk cost fallacy, while any new pledgers at this time (few as there likely are now that the tech demos are demonstrably horrible to play) do so because, once again, they believe the flashy lights and poo poo...which are incredibly inferior to something like E:D. In fact, it's likely that the only reason they don't just buy E:D instead of pledging for this at this point is that a) They haven't heard of it or b) They're the same as :lesnick: and have gone full tribal on 90s nostalgia into the Wing Commander/Freelancer camp, despising all competition no matter how demonstrably superior it may be.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 28, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

So my wife has caught up with the thread. She was only peripherally aware of this whole debacle through me, but for some reason she had time on her hands while I was at work, and she dove into the terrible secret of space.

She made two points.

Point 1: This has nothing to do with a space game. In her words: "I watched Chris Roberts, and he's a dork. He's a dork's dork. He looks weird, he sounds weird, he's overweight, clumsy, and socially awkward. But he made a game, made millions, got the "girl" (such as it is), has tons of adoring fans, and now he's taking on the establishment. Everything he's doing is the wet dream of every geek in the world who's considered themselves a hopeless underdog - if he can do it, so can they! And for that reason, they have to believe he can do this. Because if it turns out Chris Roberts lied - if he is a fraud - then that means he's not one of them. And that means there's no hope for them: to make the money, get the girl, and get acceptance. They'll stay in the bottom of the social bucket for the rest of their lives. So they believe."

Point 2: Derek Smart is the hardest thing about this whole thing to believe. She was ready to believe that an autistic guy who got lucky decades ago and bought his own press came back to delude himself and others to the tune of $175 million. Easy to swallow. That thousands of fans are ready to doxx and kill anyone who disagrees with the commitment of that fraud - no problem - easy to believe. What she can't believe is that one man, who has nothing to do with this, decides "I'M GOING TO BURN THIS ALL DOWN" because of a very minor slight from the con artist, and has tirelessly committed literal years of his life with no rest to doing exactly that, like a down-syndrome terminator.

Other than that, like most women, she sees through the scam rather easily. Now when I'm at work I get my updates from her.

Poor Chris. :females: are immune to his scam. The irony is annihilating.

Derek Smart does actually have a day job where he makes video games.

Still more playable than Star Citizen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjHGuxa1Ws

The video ends in the best way

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Why would detractors claim that livestreamers are faking the 4-6 FPS unplayable mess that is 3.0 Jesus patch? What is this even?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scruffpuff: what's so hard to believe about Derek? Derek loves to troll and he's trolled Roberts right into creating this dichotomy, that's partly why Roberts' scam is working. Derek knows this and enjoys the irony of it. The entire industry knows what Roberts is like, he was either going to fluke his vision or fall to his own hubris. Everyone knows what Derek is like, he doesn't back down and frankly this is the best semi-retirement present he could ever get.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CrazyLoon posted:

Why would detractors claim that livestreamers are faking the 4-6 FPS unplayable mess that is 3.0 Jesus patch? What is this even?

Detractors are claiming that all the awesome, mind-blowing, fidelitious, never-done-before gameplay that they're seeing is faked

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Scruffpuff: what's so hard to believe about Derek? Derek loves to troll and he's trolled Roberts right into creating this dichotomy, that's partly why Roberts' scam is working. Derek knows this and enjoys the irony of it. The entire industry knows what Roberts is like, he was either going to fluke his vision or fall to his own hubris. Everyone knows what Derek is like, he doesn't back down and frankly this is the best semi-retirement present he could ever get.

It's hard to believe if you've never heard of either of them. This looks insane from a gamer's perspective - it's easy to forget how it looks from even farther outside.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Republicanus posted:

Good afternoon to all the SC fans who impotently read this thread and furiously post about Derek Smart and Goons "ruining everything'.

I want you all to know who you are railing against, at least in part. You should know that Goons are not monolithic in any real sense of the word. We've numbered over 190,000, of which there might be a couple score of thousands that post regularly.

Most of us are here because we like to laugh or have friends who are funnier than us with whom we like to hang around.

Let me tell you about who I am. I am a guy whose businesses in Star Wars Galaxies brought in tens of millions of credits a week. I supplied bounty hunters with exploding droids optimized to knock out jedi because it was hilarious.

(We had to unfortunately have a rule put in that restricted using landmines in our city because it was affecting the bottom line. It nearly did not get put in because of how funny it was to watch people randomly get exploded by residential landmines. )

We were very successful at humor. We made bank because we found things funny as gently caress to do with people.

With that as a preface, let me tell you God's honest truth. You guys are not only hilariously fanatical about Star Citizen, you are also loathsome. On top of that, you are as a population, about the least self-aware I've encountered outside of people still attending Eckankar seminars. Plus - you'll probably get a bunch of OLD Goons to start planning poo poo to do to you.

You are a wonderful bunch of targets. This is not going to change. This is something you should realize and see how it undergirds nearly all of the posting in this and the preceding threads - you guys are worthy of our attention because you are remarkably and stunningly stupid. You guys deserve to be griefed.

We want to laugh so hard at the crushing of your dreams - either through the failure of CIG/RSI's ability to stay open, or the failure of CIG/RSI's "product" if somehow a crippled version lands in your snot-encrusted fingers.

I want them to optimize the gently caress out of the models and reduce the poly count by two orders of magnitude so that CIG/RSI will shove a shitpile out the door that can handle thirty or more players - because I want to buy in and make a business to grief every one of you until you quit in a snot-bubble-blowing rage.
I want the game to come out with enough mechanics to allow me to make a business empire to create the machine to kick your rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZWXPaiM0s&t=53s

I need a good laugh.

PS> We do ruin everything - for laughs.

I hope this helps. I also hope this gives you an aneurysm.

suddenly I want to go read the Star Trek Online thread. I never played the game and have no plans to but the stories of rage involving fire extinguishers and disco balls are gold

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

:five:

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Shame on you. Comparing CIG to the cartoonishly unscrupulous and ruthless House Harkonnenn is an extremely unfair comparison.

The Harkonnenns were competent.

Shame? I have none.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hate these people. I hate these people so goddamn much.

Don’t have such hate, friend. :)

Take my hand and just laugh without feeling somehow obligated to hating anybody. Probably most of them are right nice guys outside of Star Citizen! :3:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

It's hard to believe if you've never heard of either of them. This looks insane from a gamer's perspective - it's easy to forget how it looks from even farther outside.

True, it's really an internet story. It probably also needs a certain gate-related internet story to explain some of the animus of the more wretched of the citizens. As Garriott said in that Spector master class, the industry basically ran out these guys because their big egos can't sustain big titles and a bunch of throwbacks can't compute this, they think Roberts will save gaming but the past is past. No amount of talent is worth any amount of ego any more. I think Derek knows himself and Roberts better than Roberts would ever admit about himself.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Swapping over to a SSD successfully got Star Citizen to run. I managed to get around 20 FPS on my GTX770 on minimal settings... so long as I did nothing and avoided other people. I didn't bother trying a mission or anything, but at least I've played 3.0 more than Tarkaroshe.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: this is all so great.

Your wife is dead-on about Chris’s appeal to the fanboys. For the older ones, the ones who upon whom Wing Commander made so powerful an emotional impact due to the timing quirks of their own young, “I want to fly spaceships and have adventures!” impressionability and Chris’s serendipitously timed arrival at exactly the right studio and exactly the right moment, there’s an additional element of deep emotional gratitude. The longing to see this fun wizard of their childhood thrive because they’re thankful for the feelings / memories / escape his games gave them is reinforced and fortified by Chris Roberts’s accessibility and personal affability. His availability to fans at these events rewards and reinforces that gratitude. His generosity of spirit in such instances is pretty real; you can see it in fan photos where Chris has HIS arm around the fans’ shoulders and the big goofy “meet my best bud” smile in the photos he’s taking with random customers. There’s an intimacy there that you’d never see with a lot of other big names in gaming and it’s meaningful. An ego-gratifying symbiosis with real power.

For Roberts, who really has had a roller-coaster life with seasons of famine and of feasting, having the reinforcements of rock star adulation is surely a balm for the soul. Given his wife’s own unmistakeable disinterest in the industry and her discounting of the significance of Wing Commander in its historical context, the deep admiring validation that erupts from the fanboys probably carries extra power. If there was a /fanboysmirin subreddit, Chris and the citizenry would dominate it from all the moments of earnest affection exchanged.

I don’t say that disparagingly, I think it’s actually something Chris does right and with largely authentic warmth. Shame about the lying and mercenary fleecing but hey, nobody’s perfect! :/

:gary:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ewe2 posted:

It’s like going to McDonald’s once and having a bad experience and dedicating your life day and night to destroying the Ronald McDonald empire.

I personally don’t get why he does it, but it’s funny enough. I agree with Scruffpuffs wife on her points.

But I’m not the target audience either so it’s probably easier for women to not get “involved”. This is very much a boys party.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

bbchops posted:

This is what stands out to me as well. There's all this talk about incredible advances, huge leaps forward, but to someone who knows nothing of game development they don't seem to doing anything you couldn't do in CryEngine hacked to support 64 bit positioning. People that do know, is there anything else there?

The stuff that will be genuinely groundbreaking, like dynamically partitioning players and physics simulations based on moment-to-moment load calculations, they appear to have done literally nothing on.

A $175 million prototype-in-production.

They have revolutionized a crowd funding engine. Not a video game though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

It’s like going to McDonald’s once and having a bad experience and dedicating your life day and night to destroying the Ronald McDonald empire.

I personally don’t get why he does it, but it’s funny enough. I agree with Scruffpuffs wife on her points.

But I’m not the target audience either so it’s probably easier for women to not get “involved”. This is very much a boys party.

For what it's worth, Derek has become something of a folk hero for my wife now - she's a redhead and 100% agrees with his scorched earth policy.

I have seen it in effect first-hand, many times. If this had been her getting a refund and attacked in an 8-hour diatribe, we'd be living the same story right now with a slightly different cast of characters.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Derek Smart does actually have a day job where he makes video games.
Let's not try and out-ridiculous /r/starcitizen ok?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyLoon posted:

I’ve heard people call the amazing non playable segments that look great but never get into anybody’s hands fake.

I’ve never heard anybody say something a live streamer is playing was fake though.

Maybe the guy is confusing these “totally real press segments” as live-streaming, despite the fact the game they show never makes it outside of that CIG video. :shrug:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Goosfraba posted:

Shame? I have none.

Please, you don't have to do this, you have people who care about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

For what it's worth, Derek has become something of a folk hero for my wife now - she's a redhead and 100% agrees with his scorched earth policy.

I have seen it in effect first-hand, many times. If this had been her getting a refund and attacked in an 8-hour diatribe, we'd be living the same story right now with a slightly different cast of characters.

If she wants to know more about the fabled hero, point her to... the blogs.

I don’t think she’d be as good as Derek though. He’s been doing this, almost non stop daily, for like 4 years.