Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

This put me in mind of the series of Are You Being Served they did where they were all old people in, I think, the 90s.
David Baddiel had a routine about why the show didn't work now because of how language has changed. When Molly Sugden referred to her pussy in the '70s show, the word generally meant "cat" with a faint undertone of "vagina." By the '90s, the word was seldom used as anything but a word for vagina, so an old woman announcing her pussy was dripping wet didn't seem like an innuendo, just an announcement that she was sexually aroused. The humour just didn't translate to the modern day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

Not anymore, at least. These days he looks older than he actually is.

Content: watched Gremlins 2 the other night. It's such a goofy over-the-top movie to begin with that it's tough to say it's aged poorly, but the camera-mad Japanese tourist sticks out like a sore thumb. Seeing outdated stereotypes in old movies is one thing but it's even more jarring when they're stereotypes that were current and fresh when you were growing up.

While this is absolutely an outdated stereotype, I think it's funny that the old stereotype of the camera-happy japanese tourist who just takes photos of everything and anything now pretty much applies to any first world tourist following phones with good cameras becoming the norm.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

While this is absolutely an outdated stereotype, I think it's funny that the old stereotype of the camera-happy japanese tourist who just takes photos of everything and anything now pretty much applies to any first world tourist following phones with good cameras becoming the norm.

So you think we're turning Japanese?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

So you think we're turning Japanese?

I really think so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

This put me in mind of the series of Are You Being Served they did where they were all old people in, I think, the 90s.

It also had a really weird premise where a bunch of people who worked together now live together as they all as a group inherited a house in the country.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's talk about bring Mad About You back

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

This isn't the 'People You're Ashamed to Find Hot' thread, but boy I liked Helen Hunt.

That would be the most pointless show to bring back. I know it was incredibly popular, but I can not recall a single plot line.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

This isn't the 'People You're Ashamed to Find Hot' thread, but boy I liked Helen Hunt.

Nothing to be ashamed about there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The British need to get on board with calling them seasons already. I know doing things the hard way to preserve the unique culture of Knifecrime Island is basically their national pastime at this point, but they've got netflix same as the rest of us.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Davros1 posted:

FFS Paul Reiser being on Stranger Things 2 is NOT an open season on giving him a career back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think it kind of always did, the stereotype tends to shift depending on which country's got enough wealthy people to afford vacations and cameras going to (to them) exotic places, and usually Hawaiian shirts to go with. And of course, now it's absolutely everybody.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nutsngum posted:

FFS Paul Reiser being on Stranger Things 2 is NOT an open season on giving him a career back.

I'd be happy if there was an anthology where Paul Reiser's character dies every week. Though honestly he wasn't that hateable on Mad About You, just kind of bland and inoffensive, or maybe that was because I was a pubescent boy with a crush on Helen Hunt.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think it kind of always did, the stereotype tends to shift depending on which country's got enough wealthy people to afford vacations and cameras going to (to them) exotic places, and usually Hawaiian shirts to go with. And of course, now it's absolutely everybody.

Yeah, but the Japanese are also known for their cameras.

The Swiss probably wear nicer watches than the average person, the French drink more wine, and Americans probably own more guns.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but the Japanese are also known for their cameras.

The Swiss probably wear nicer watches than the average person, the French drink more wine, and Americans probably own more guns.

Probably?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Nutsngum posted:

Why would he go back to a lovely sitcom that was bland and annoying to begin with? poo poo, if you're in a big Netflix production, why not say 'gee, my role in Aliens could be revisited, why not do that?' Why aim low with a sitcom that only existed because it was one of those Thursday night horrors that lasted for years because it was stuck between two hits?

Paul Reiser has gotten older. But apparently, he has gotten dumber as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He'll show up because NBC will pay him big bucks for the most milquetoast, low effort poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Why would he go back to a lovely sitcom that was bland and annoying to begin with? poo poo, if you're in a big Netflix production, why not say 'gee, my role in Aliens could be revisited, why not do that?' Why aim low with a sitcom that only existed because it was one of those Thursday night horrors that lasted for years because it was stuck between two hits?

Paul Reiser has gotten older. But apparently, he has gotten dumber as well.

He was getting paid a million per episode for that show. In his mind he thinks it was a cultural touchstone.

Only thing I remember from that show is Phoebe from Friends meeting Ursula from Mad About You.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember that every single character in that show barring Helen Hunt and the dog Murray were supremely annoying and unfunny
Also the finale was super bad and the only funny thing was that it starred Jeannine [sic] Garofalo [sic] making a movie titled “Stabbing Bob” or something like that
And again they lived in a gorgeous New York apartment with what I assume were two intensely mediocre salaries

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Last Chance posted:

I've been watching The Norm Show and there are some good jokes, and I don't think it's terrible, but there's a shitton of gay panic

it's kind of crazy just how dated gay-panic jokes have become. for a long time gay characters main comedic purpose was to just be "gay" and that was enough to be funny; they mainly existed just to be farcically be mistaken of hitting on one of the main characters

even the stuff that seemed non-homophobic, like that toy collector character on The Simpsons, in retrospect seem to be incredibly one-dimensional.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tumble posted:

it's kind of crazy just how dated gay-panic jokes have become. for a long time gay characters main comedic purpose was to just be "gay" and that was enough to be funny; they mainly existed just to be farcically be mistaken of hitting on one of the main characters

even the stuff that seemed non-homophobic, like that toy collector character on The Simpsons, in retrospect seem to be incredibly one-dimensional.

Your post is about LGBT people, but for me it the one-dimensionality you mention is most noticable about race. Characters exist just to be a different race to the White protagonists. Then they can have an episode where the X race people are harrassed/discriminated against by racists, and the great White protagonists can prove they are not racist, and really are good people. See, they have X race friends. The non whites are never seen or spoken of again after that episode.

For example. Years and years ago, (pre Toadfish so it was that long ago), Neighbours had an Asian family move in to Ramsay St. They had the token arc of some racists being mean to them, and the daughter getting bullied at school. This allowed all the regulars to show how cool and non racist they were. I had hope taht these people would become actual characters, and I remember a plotline of the daughter stealing one of the regular characters boyfriend or something. I thought that was cool, as it showed a non-white character doing something and having actual agency and relevance in a storyline. But it never went anywhere, then that family quietly moved away and was not heard from again.

I know this example isn't perfect. Because due to teh nature of soaps, characters come and go willy nilly, and one can never expect intelligent plot points from Neighbours. But I hope my point still stands.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

If we're on the topic, my favourite Neighbours tactic is to hire non-white actors who are just objectively terrible at acting (I mean even by comparison to the rest of the cast), make the characters super whiny and annoying, and then get rid of them not long after so they can say "look, we totally had non-whites, but the characters didn't test well", and repeat six months later when people start to point out how white it is again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

I remember that every single character in that show barring Helen Hunt and the dog Murray were supremely annoying and unfunny
Also the finale was super bad and the only funny thing was that it starred Jeannine [sic] Garofalo [sic] making a movie titled “Stabbing Bob” or something like that
And again they lived in a gorgeous New York apartment with what I assume were two intensely mediocre salaries

Paul Reiser was a documentary filmmaker, and Helen Hunt did something wiki isn't being helpful.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Tumble posted:

Slight tangent, but it got me thinking about William Dafoes character in Boondock Saints being gay but it never really being a plot point other then showing him hes also an rear end in a top hat in bed. Then again, havent seen that movie in a decade so I might be wrong.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Nutsngum posted:

Slight tangent, but it got me thinking about William Dafoes character in Boondock Saints being gay but it never really being a plot point other then showing him hes also an rear end in a top hat in bed. Then again, havent seen that movie in a decade so I might be wrong.

Doesn't the end of the movie have him dressing as a woman in order to seduce and blow a guard or something?

e: The scene in question

oh, it should be kinda obvious based on context but probably a bit :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZ5dV6JK5I

It doesn't actually get very far before he just kills the guy.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Dec 28, 2017

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Tumble posted:

I just started watching through Arrested Development again, and the amount of questionable lines and jokes along the lines of gay panic/wacky gay antics is actually quite surprising. It's amazing how much more acceptable that sorta stuff was even in the 2000's. The Tobias jokes are pretty much still ok, but there's still a bunch of other stuff that just seems...off.

Still a great show, but of course it now also has the stigma of Jeffery Tambor on it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
zzzap

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I just started watching through Arrested Development again, and the amount of questionable lines and jokes along the lines of gay panic/wacky gay antics is actually quite surprising. It's amazing how much more acceptable that sorta stuff was even in the 2000's. The Tobias jokes are pretty much still ok, but there's still a bunch of other stuff that just seems...off.

Still a great show, but of course it now also has the stigma of Jeffery Tambor on it.

The Arrested Development gay jokes are, I think, different because they aren't making fun of Tobias for being gay, they are making fun of him for being closeted.

The show itself posits that there is nothing wrong or shameful, or bad about being gay, but it's funny that this character thinks that being gay is a thing he needs to hide, and hide badly.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Yeah, like I said, the Tobias stuff seems fine so far.

I think Barry's assistant, Hot Cops, random drops of flamer/homo/etc. not so much.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Are You Being Served thing about the pussy talk just made me think of this: I was watching a Christmas episode of Welcome Back, Kotter for a few minutes a couple of days ago and there's an exchange where he and his wife/gf/whatever are exchanging gifts.

He gives her a Christmas Tree, she gives him a Hanukkah Bush.

Wife: "I love your tree."
Kotter: "I love your bush."

No laughtrack, no nothing, it just was said and was they moved right on. I don't even know if it was an intentional innuendo thing that slipped past the censors or if he literally was only referring to the plant, but I just started thinking that in a modern show that would be a showcase joke. We'd have reaction to the comment, audience laughter, etc.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

The Are You Being Served thing about the pussy talk just made me think of this: I was watching a Christmas episode of Welcome Back, Kotter for a few minutes a couple of days ago and there's an exchange where he and his wife/gf/whatever are exchanging gifts.

He gives her a Christmas Tree, she gives him a Hanukkah Bush.

Wife: "I love your tree."
Kotter: "I love your bush."

No laughtrack, no nothing, it just was said and was they moved right on. I don't even know if it was an intentional innuendo thing that slipped past the censors or if he literally was only referring to the plant, but I just started thinking that in a modern show that would be a showcase joke. We'd have reaction to the comment, audience laughter, etc.

One easy rule of thumb:

If its not live broadcast, its always intentional.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wow, I now pronounce you chuck and larry is really really bad. Even the "oh look at the opression gay people feel" is just hamfisted.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Davros1 posted:

All I remember about that show is that it was like watching an incredibly milquetoast Woody Allen movie but without any of the charm only a nattering paedophile can bring.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

Probably?

Yeah, no "probably" about it. I remember the storming of the Branch Davidian compound, and hysterical reports declaring that there were 2.5 guns for every man, woman and child in the group. This becomes much less of a thing when you learn that in Texas in 1993 there were three privately owned guns for every citizen in the state. When the average American owns more guns than an apocalyptic death cultist, you can't really say you don't have a problem.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

Wow, I now pronounce you chuck and larry is really really bad. Even the "oh look at the opression gay people feel" is just hamfisted.

lol are you in Australia? What a way for the network to celebrate legalizing gay marriage.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Documentary film maker is the biggest TV character professional cop-out since lifestyle reporter. That show really was terrible. Wasn't the guy from Spin City in that as an agoraphobic who later found love? The show is slowly coming back to me and I'm not liking what I'm remembering.

I watched a Brady Bunch Christmas and that was just a smorgasbord of poo poo no one does anymore. Like going to travel agents and then travel agents calling your bank to verify your check. Or needed to go out and rent beds for when all the kids come to visit (because inflatable mattresses didn't exist yet). In the end Mike Brady is left to die in a collapsed building until Christmas Carols revive him and he stumbles out to a cheering crowd of reporters, family, bystanders, and rescue workers who were not going to risk their lives going in after him. It was an incredible TV movie.

Len posted:

Probably?

I'm pretty sure Somalia has more guns per capita. But I could be wrong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

It's been a while since I watched through Arrested Development, but I think most of Tobias's gay entendre also doubled to insinuate he is an albino black man.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, no "probably" about it. I remember the storming of the Branch Davidian compound, and hysterical reports declaring that there were 2.5 guns for every man, woman and child in the group. This becomes much less of a thing when you learn that in Texas in 1993 there were three privately owned guns for every citizen in the state. When the average American owns more guns than an apocalyptic death cultist, you can't really say you don't have a problem.

That's not how gun ownership actually works though.

The vast majority of Americans own 0 guns, then there's another group of people who only own 1 gun, and then there's a tiny tiny amount of people who own 20+ guns each. This throws off the average.

The average American owns no guns.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Documentary film maker is the biggest TV character professional cop-out since lifestyle reporter. That show really was terrible. Wasn't the guy from Spin City in that as an agoraphobic who later found love? The show is slowly coming back to me and I'm not liking what I'm remembering.

I watched a Brady Bunch Christmas and that was just a smorgasbord of poo poo no one does anymore. Like going to travel agents and then travel agents calling your bank to verify your check. Or needed to go out and rent beds for when all the kids come to visit (because inflatable mattresses didn't exist yet). In the end Mike Brady is left to die in a collapsed building until Christmas Carols revive him and he stumbles out to a cheering crowd of reporters, family, bystanders, and rescue workers who were not going to risk their lives going in after him. It was an incredible TV movie.

I'm pretty sure Somalia has more guns per capita. But I could be wrong.

The one thing everybody should remember about Mad About You is that its popularity came right before people started ditching free TV for the Internet and basic cable. NBC put out a remarkable amount of lovely, long-running TV by sticking it in between more popular TV shows and the thought was 'I'd might as well let this play so I don't miss Seinfeld/Friends/Cheers/etc.' It's remarkable in a way because you don't see that anymore. The paradigm changed so having gap shows like that no longer work. So you have shows that ran for an obscenely long period of time but in all honesty shouldn't have.

Also...renting beds was a thing? Jesus. I wonder how good they were. I would be more scared of them not being cleaned well enough or being really cheap pieces of poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WampaLord posted:

That's not how gun ownership actually works though.

The vast majority of Americans own 0 guns, then there's another group of people who only own 1 gun, and then there's a tiny tiny amount of people who own 20+ guns each. This throws off the average.

The average American owns no guns.

Well that works both ways. Maybe it was just one dude in the Branch Davidian who had a bunch of guns. You ever think of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol are you in Australia? What a way for the network to celebrate legalizing gay marriage.

Yes. It was on in the background whilst playing my mother and sister in scrabble. I won despite the awful obnoxious gay jokes coming thick and fast.

The only thing worst then the ham fisted message was Rob Schneiders awful asian stereotype character. No Rob Schneider, being part Filipno does not give you an open ticket to impersonate Mickey Rooney.