Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I'm starting to get into bread baking and I'm seeing a lot of people touting a 4 qt dutch oven. I've looked online and checked a few stores but I can't seem to find a 4qt, is that a size that isn't commonly made anymore or something? Does anyone know where to get a <= $50 one at?

Papes fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You want the lodge 3.2 qt combo cooker to start

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You want the lodge 3.2 qt combo cooker to start

This? https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-C...qt+combo+cooker

Out of curiosity, could you expand on why that is ideal to start with?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When it's 500 degrees it's easier to place the bread in the shallow half than a traditional dutch oven. You also won't have to worry about enamel wear.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

When it's 500 degrees it's easier to place the bread in the shallow half than a traditional dutch oven. You also won't have to worry about enamel wear.

And you get a useful pans out of it on top of the dutch oven pot.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Feenix posted:

What are you guys’ thoughts on Woll Diamond Plus pans and such? My mom just told me she got one and it has diamond stuff in it or whatever and for the first time she’s ever witnessed a truth to the claim of an egg sliding off with no oil.

She’s not usually one for hype. (Quite the opposite, actually...) so now I’m curious. What’s your take, if anyone knows?
probably best to have her take it back; it's Teflon based despite all the bumf about diamond content

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Yo, is there anything I need to look for specifically in a cutting board? I see the cheap ones being bamboo and the expensive ones being acacia, is there a meaningful difference?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Yo, is there anything I need to look for specifically in a cutting board? I see the cheap ones being bamboo and the expensive ones being acacia, is there a meaningful difference?
NSF-rated poly boards from your local restaurant supply store are cheaper than bamboo and have the advantage of being dishwasher safe.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Not sure what the diff between those woods are, but I’d recommend a rubber board. They’re what we used in my old restaurant and they’re fantastic. They’re sanitary, easily washed, and can be sanded down easily if you gently caress them up. The color changes after a lot of use, but if you soak it in bleach overnight it’ll come out bone white and looking brand new. A decent sized one will run you around $35 from a restaurant supply store and will last forever.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wood boards are definitely superior to plastic, wood is naturally inhospitable to bacteria in a way that plastic isn’t, scratches are less of a pain, and you just need to wipe them down with a damp cloth to clean them as long as you dry them thoroughly.

I have a few wood chopping boards of various types, and the bamboo one is just as good as the others.

Here is a more definitive explanation:
https://news.ncsu.edu/2014/09/cutting-boards-food-safety/

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 28, 2017

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

My understanding is that bamboo is rougher on your knives, however, and will dull them at a significantly quicker rate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Teak and bamboo are pretty hard. End grain is best. You get what you pay for with wood. I'm a huge fan of Michigan Maple.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Wood boards are definitely superior to plastic, wood is naturally inhospitable to bacteria in a way that plastic isn’t[...].
...which doesn't matter at all, as you should literally never rely on the magical antimicrobial properties of wood to prevent contamination. Every time cutting board chat comes up this gets mentioned, but it's irrelevant. Avoid cross-contamination by avoiding cross-contamination, and that means properly cleaning cutting boards after use regardless of what the cutting board is made out of.

With synthetic boards you have the convenience of being able to throw them in the dishwasher, which will pasteurize them (and the ease of sanitising is, incidentally, why the article you link recommends using plastic cutting boards for meat). Tell the truth: how often have you cleaned your wooden cutting boards with quaternary ammonium, as that article recommends?

I mean use whatever cutting boards you want, no skin off my rear end. But jesus people need to stop trotting out that antimicrobial poo poo like it's relevant. Silver is mildly antimicrobial, too. But if you accidentally drop your fork into the garbage bin you wash it off instead of just figuring gently caress it it's antimicrobial or whatever.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I like the look of a nice end grain board so I hope they’re okay and not going to kill me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

End grain is good. Be sure to oil it to help prevent the glued pieces from splitting due to moisture. Your knife edges appreciate it as well.

SubG posted:

...which doesn't matter at all, as you should literally never rely on the magical antimicrobial properties of wood to prevent contamination. Every time cutting board chat comes up this gets mentioned, but it's irrelevant. Avoid cross-contamination by avoiding cross-contamination, and that means properly cleaning cutting boards after use regardless of what the cutting board is made out of.

With synthetic boards you have the convenience of being able to throw them in the dishwasher, which will pasteurize them (and the ease of sanitising is, incidentally, why the article you link recommends using plastic cutting boards for meat). Tell the truth: how often have you cleaned your wooden cutting boards with quaternary ammonium, as that article recommends?

I mean use whatever cutting boards you want, no skin off my rear end. But jesus people need to stop trotting out that antimicrobial poo poo like it's relevant. Silver is mildly antimicrobial, too. But if you accidentally drop your fork into the garbage bin you wash it off instead of just figuring gently caress it it's antimicrobial or whatever.

all true but the ease of synthetic boards is also limited by your dishwasher size which can be terribly small.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What do people think cutting boards were made of for a thousand years before plastic?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whatever was best before plastic came along

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

wormil posted:

What do people think cutting boards were made of for a thousand years before plastic?
I assume people are wise enough to know that cutting boards came some time after modern milling (their first recorded use is in the mid 17th Century), and their ancestor, the butcher's or chopping block, is only attested to from the late middle ages (e.g. England in the 1400s, although there's evidence to support the idea that China was using chopping blocks somewhat earlier), and so they weren't in use for a thousand years before plastic at all. But I make it a practice to think the best of people.

But anyway if that's directed at me, I'm not saying people shouldn't use wood cutting boards. I'm saying that the antimicrobial argument for wood cutting boards is bunk. Which is what I said.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SubG posted:

I assume people are wise enough to know that cutting boards came some time after modern milling ...

You are being disingenuous and that's boring.

SubG posted:

But anyway if that's directed at me, I'm not saying people shouldn't use wood cutting boards. I'm saying that the antimicrobial argument for wood cutting boards is bunk. Which is what I said.

The antimicrobial properties of wood are real and do matter, otherwise we would all be dead by now. And cross contamination can and does happen with plastic cutting boards. Wood has been in use for a very, very, long time and it's perfectly safe today.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

wormil posted:

You are being disingenuous and that's boring.
Nah. The cutting board just ain't a thousand years old. The kitchen (in the sense we now think of a kitchen), and the whole practice of food prep in which something like a cutting board would be useful, is less than a thousand years old.

wormil posted:

The antimicrobial properties of wood are real and do matter, otherwise we would all be dead by now.
Nah. It turns out that even a really lovely HACCP system you're not going to kill off literally everybody. And for most of human history people got sick and died of poo poo that we now know how to prevent.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My mom has one of those cutting boards that's bamboo on one side and plastic on the other.

In light of the current discussion I now find it hilarious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Shere posted:

My mom has one of those cutting boards that's bamboo on one side and plastic on the other.

In light of the current discussion I now find it hilarious.

Bamboo is grass, not wood, so I'm not sure if a bamboo cutting board will have the same antimicrobial properties as wood. I don't know much about how they are made. Bamboo rayon used to be advertised as antimicrobial but I think the government made them stop, of course that isn't proof of anything.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

wormil posted:

Bamboo is grass, not wood, so I'm not sure if a bamboo cutting board will have the same antimicrobial properties as wood.
It does. The antimicrobial action is purely mechanical; cuts in wood surfaces wick fluids away from the surface and into the interior of the board. If undisturbed, over time they dry out and any bacteria die. How long this takes to happen depends on the dimensions of the cut, the medium, and so on (for example, bacteria remain viable for much longer if the surface has been wiped with chicken fat, which will end up plugging the top of the cuts and slowing evaporation of trapped fluids, even after the surface has been washed). It also depends on the type of wood, its condition, and so on.

That all said, bamboo has the advantage of being comparatively less porous and more resistant to cuts than most woods. So it'll absorb less fluids and be easier to clean than most wood surfaces.

But once again avoid cross contamination anyway. And you do that the same way, regardless of what your cutting board is made of. Wood ain't magic and you can't rely on it to protect you from unsafe food handling.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Wood looks nicer and I can throw together end grain or long grain boards to any design I want in my shop so that's good enough for me. I should make some more tiny end grain boards, they are really nifty, mostly you only find end grain in big sizes in stores.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this cutting board set from Costco about six months ago. I prefer wood, but can't be arsed with taking care of them (other than my largest special-occasion one) so they inevitably split or warp or something. These boards are excellent, and the largest one is goddamn enormous and fantastic.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SubG posted:

Nah. The cutting board just ain't a thousand years old. The kitchen (in the sense we now think of a kitchen), and the whole practice of food prep in which something like a cutting board would be useful, is less than a thousand years old.

You’re being awfully pedantic about what you are willing to accept as a cutting board.

Big wood table. Put stuff on table. Chop and cut to needed size. Wipe off table.

Just because people didn’t have a second smaller portable board on top of the table doesn’t actually mean anything was substantially different.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SubG posted:

It does. The antimicrobial action is purely mechanical; cuts in wood surfaces wick fluids away...

Like I said, bamboo isn't wood. I don't know if it has the same antimicrobial properties. If you say it does, please include a source.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Murgos posted:

You’re being awfully pedantic about what you are willing to accept as a cutting board.

Big wood table. Put stuff on table. Chop and cut to needed size. Wipe off table.
This is not how cooking worked, for the overwhelming majority of people, a thousand years ago. A thousand years ago all cooking in a typical household was done in a single cookpot in a common room. Use of meat was infrequent. Use of utensils was infrequent, both in prep and consumption. The fork was still a couple centuries in the future (and would arrive as an exotic innovation from the mysterious East, used only by the wealthy and looked askance at by most for centuries after that). Food prep was almost entirely by hand, and would look nothing like `put stuff on table, chop and cut', and more like `break veg into pieces by hand and add to pot'. If you had any meat it would almost certainly be roasted whole or---and this is sorta the signature move of medieval cuisine---mashed into paste in a mortar. But that was really something that only the very upper echelons of society would enjoy---manorial cooking, rather than household cooking.

The kind of cooking you're imagining is something that comes many hundreds of years later.

wormil posted:

Like I said, bamboo isn't wood. I don't know if it has the same antimicrobial properties. If you say it does, please include a source.
I guess you're trying to sling a pedantic zinger at me here, but if you want to go that route then a lot of wood cutting boards aren't wood either, like a nice end-grain heartwood block, because they're not exclusively made from secondary xylem or whatever you're leaning on here as your definition of `wood'.

But whatever. The FDA says that bamboo is more resistant to bacteria than other woods. They've got a page on cutting boards and food safety.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know what's antibacterial? Throwing your plastic cutting board in the dishwasher.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Or you can just buy a rubber cutting board. Feels better than wood to cut on, you can sand off a tiny tiny layer when it gets too many cuts in it, just generally a great device. It's even antimicrobial. Not sure if it's dishwasher safe, but probably not.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SubG posted:

This is not how cooking worked, for the overwhelming majority of people, a thousand years ago. A thousand years ago all cooking in a typical household was done in a single cookpot in a common room. Use of meat was infrequent.

Ah, yes. The whole world consisted of portions of Weastern Europe 1000 years ago and there are obviously no records of meals eaten in any other culture or any other time.

You are arguing against the use of wood as a cooking prep surface. Get a grip.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 30, 2017

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

SubG posted:

This is not how cooking worked, for the overwhelming majority of people, a thousand years ago. A thousand years ago all cooking in a typical household was done in a single cookpot in a common room. Use of meat was infrequent. Use of utensils was infrequent, both in prep and consumption. The fork was still a couple centuries in the future (and would arrive as an exotic innovation from the mysterious East, used only by the wealthy and looked askance at by most for centuries after that). Food prep was almost entirely by hand, and would look nothing like `put stuff on table, chop and cut', and more like `break veg into pieces by hand and add to pot'. If you had any meat it would almost certainly be roasted whole or---and this is sorta the signature move of medieval cuisine---mashed into paste in a mortar. But that was really something that only the very upper echelons of society would enjoy---manorial cooking, rather than household cooking.

The kind of cooking you're imagining is something that comes many hundreds of years later.

I guess you're trying to sling a pedantic zinger at me here, but if you want to go that route then a lot of wood cutting boards aren't wood either, like a nice end-grain heartwood block, because they're not exclusively made from secondary xylem or whatever you're leaning on here as your definition of `wood'.

But whatever. The FDA says that bamboo is more resistant to bacteria than other woods. They've got a page on cutting boards and food safety.

As a s food history scholar and food systems designer you're wrong about almost all that historical information btw.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Or you can just buy a rubber cutting board. Feels better than wood to cut on, you can sand off a tiny tiny layer when it gets too many cuts in it, just generally a great device. It's even antimicrobial. Not sure if it's dishwasher safe, but probably not.

Sani Tuff doesn't recommend that you put it in the dishwasher because the drying phase might warp it. I think if your washer has an "economy drying" mode it would probably be ok.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Murgos posted:

Ah, yes. The whole world consisted of portions of Weastern Europe 1000 years ago and there are obviously no records of meals eaten in any other culture or any other time.

You are arguing against the use of wood as a cooking prep surface. Get a grip.
No. I'm saying food prep a thousand years ago was different, and imagining modern food prep done on a tabletop instead of a cutting board isn't just a simplification, it is misleading.

And we're talking about Europe because we were talking about cutting boards and their antecedents. As I already pointed out, the precursor to the modern cutting board was the chopping block, and the first recorded use of anything like it is in the late 1400s in Europe. There is similar documentary evidence of its use in China, but we have indirect evidence (e.g. in cooking manuals) that they were in use there a couple centuries earlier. In neither case were they what we would now think of as a food prep surface, like a cutting board---like nobody was going to come in after the butcher was done and make a nice wedge salad on the chopping block. So it's not really relevant for our discussion.

Catfishenfuego posted:

As a s food history scholar and food systems designer you're wrong about almost all that historical information btw.
I would love to hear the food history scholarship which paints a different picture prior to the economic changes of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries. Like, actually. Go ahead an paint me a picture of typical household cooking circa 1000 CE.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love how entrenched you've become about defining cutting boards, as if it makes any difference.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

I love how entrenched you've become about defining cutting boards, as if it makes any difference.

I'm enjoying this, and I hope they both continue. I like learning stuff.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Sani Tuff doesn't recommend that you put it in the dishwasher because the drying phase might warp it. I think if your washer has an "economy drying" mode it would probably be ok.

I got a Sani-Tuff and threw it in the dishwasher before reading the fine print. It warped to the point of becoming useless. A Google search taught me that an oven on warm will soften the rubber up enough to un-warp it, and since then, I've been carefully cleaning it by hand. (Though I hadn't read about using Mr Clean as a sanitizing agent.) Now I bring it out when I have a big job and want that superior feel badly enough to handwash. 99% of my cutting happens on plastic boards, which I clean in the dishwasher like a proper lazy person. I have Chobs (https://www.amazon.com/Dreamfarm-Chobs-Non-Slip-Silicone-Assorted/dp/B004I8V8C4) on a couple of them to help avoid cross-contamination. Of course the Chobs cost more than the boards do, so that's a false economy unless you put a lot of value on your dishwasher slots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the review, good to know

Personally I got half a dozen Oxo boards ($10 with Bed Bath and Beyond coupons), to avoid cross contamination I'll just throw a board into the washer after cutting meat and just pull a fresh board out if I need to cut veg afterwards. It's sooooo easy to deal with this way

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 30, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just cut all my veg, then cut the meat. But I have 2 wood boards and 4 plastic boards. All, plastic and wood, can go into the dishwasher except the large wood board. My smaller wood cutting board has been through the dishwasher hundreds of times over a ~20 year period. The large board gets washed with soap and water. Being wood it's antimicrobial so letting it dry is sterilizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Plastic, wood or whatever, as long as you clean it properly after use it's fine. I don't have a dishwasher so my boards get washed right after use, the only times I have gotten (mild)food poisoning has been when I used something that was dubious in the first place because I'm an idiot sometimes and I don't like wasting food. Just get what floats your boat and take care of it.

Oh, and avoid Teak, it tends to have high silica content and is hard as hell, dulls knives like a motherfucker.