Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah that’s a pretty good idea. What’s this modernist Mac and cheese then it seems there’s a few recipes?
We have some pork tenderloin in the fridge too I may try and use that. Probably best to not try something too nuts and cock it up.

The modernist part is generally referring to using sodium citrate to make a perfectly smooth cheese sauce that doesn’t break. Because it won’t break, you can use way more cheese than you typically would in a cheese sauce. Or whatever fancy aged geese you have. Smoked Gouda and cheddar is a good combination imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah that’s a pretty good idea. What’s this modernist Mac and cheese then it seems there’s a few recipes?
We have some pork tenderloin in the fridge too I may try and use that. Probably best to not try something too nuts and cock it up.

Cheddar and smoked gouda is great, so is aged cheddar with chipotle peppers, but yeah, sodium citrate is the key (and immersion blending it to make it 110% smooth). Pork tenderloin is perfect sous vide at 135, perhaps a simple balsamic glaze on that to cut the overall richness of the plate too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Got an Anova from my wife for xmas and my mother in law had a beefy vacuum sealer she wasn't using that is now mine as well. Time to seal and boil some poo poo.

Besides ribeyes, what are some go-to's I should cook immediately?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ShaneB posted:

Got an Anova from my wife for xmas and my mother in law had a beefy vacuum sealer she wasn't using that is now mine as well. Time to seal and boil some poo poo.

Besides ribeyes, what are some go-to's I should cook immediately?

Some sort of pork, a chop or a tenderloin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

qutius posted:

Some sort of pork, a chop or a tenderloin.

definitely this - to me pork loin is the cheapest thing that consistently comes out so much better with a sous vide than I can normally make it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Short ribs were what took me from "hmmm well this is neat I guess" to :aaa:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Discussion Quorum posted:

Short ribs were what took me from "hmmm well this is neat I guess" to :aaa:

How did you prep them? I love me some short ribs.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ShaneB posted:

I usually go with something close to this, then sear with a little peanut oil as hot as I can get it for a few seconds on 3 sides.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/

This page goes over pretty much every combination of time and temp that works well, so see what looks good.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way

They should be ready by like New Years Eve if you start now :v:

e: Oh and make sure that they are real bone-in short ribs, the boneless ones don't turn out anywhere nearly as well.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

ShaneB posted:

I don't know about DQ, but I have my butcher break the ribs down into about four-inch lengths and I usually put two per bag. I buy whole cryovacced shortrib cuts for economy, so I usually wind up with 6-8 bags at a time. I usually do a couple just standard S&P, but it's really hard to go wrong with any beef-appropriate flavorings you like. Lately I've been doing 48h @138F.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ShaneB posted:

Basically like Plinkey said - I used a time/temp combo from that Chefsteps page that sounded good (been doing 48hrs @144F), pre-seared, and into the bag. I've tried thyme and rosemary in the bag (good) as well as smashed garlic cloves (nope).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I do about 70hrs at 144 degrees, pre-seared and then rubbed with pepper and minced garlic. Someone here mentioned that starting with 30 minutes at 180 degrees would help keep the cook safe, so lately my go-to move has been to start with some of the Serious Eats sous vide carrots, which work pretty nicely at that temperature, and then drop the ribs in the puddle when I have them all seared, rubbed, and bagged.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm making 2 ribeyes tonight to break this thing in. If I only remove one from the bag and sear it off, am I good if I flash-chill the other one in an icewater bath for like 45 minutes and then chuck it into the fridge, and then bring back up to temperature tomorrow or the day after in another water bath?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I do about 70hrs at 144 degrees, pre-seared and then rubbed with pepper and minced garlic. Someone here mentioned that starting with 30 minutes at 180 degrees would help keep the cook safe, so lately my go-to move has been to start with some of the Serious Eats sous vide carrots, which work pretty nicely at that temperature, and then drop the ribs in the puddle when I have them all seared, rubbed, and bagged.

Is there any reason 144 wouldn't be safe?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ShaneB posted:

I'm making 2 ribeyes tonight to break this thing in. If I only remove one from the bag and sear it off, am I good if I flash-chill the other one in an icewater bath for like 45 minutes and then chuck it into the fridge, and then bring back up to temperature tomorrow or the day after in another water bath?

You’ve got the general idea. Depending on thickness you may not need 45 minutes to chill.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

First timer's trip report:

The Anova is stupid easy to use. Clamped it to my dutch oven, put it on a towel, filled to over the min line, wrapped the towel around the sides, turned on to 132F.

Did 2x .75lb (3/4") ribeyes with 2 cloves smashed garlic and a sprig of rosemary in each bag. Heavily salted and peppered the steaks and dropped everything in bags.

The vacuum sealer seemed to work great. The bags my MIL had lying around had the same kotex-y pad material near the opening to prevent liquid seepage during sealing. Clamped it down, lights did things, bags sealed.

Plopped bags into dutch oven and clipped to sides for some reason. Cooked for 60 minutes at temp. Removed bags, opened one, seared at med-high on my cast iron for 1.5-2 minutes a side. Served with a garlic-rosemary compound butter.

I was surprised how liquidy the steak still was, as I kind of imagined one of those perfect pieces of meat where no liquid seems to come out yet it's perfectly juicy inside. I was told you don't need to let the meat rest at all so maybe this is just how it is because no moisture escaped during cooking. I think the searing time as a bit much, and I think it might have overcooked. The steaks were less thick then they first appeared, and I probably could have just done it quicker without heating the interior of the steak.

I also learned you really need to season the gently caress out of the steak. I salted pretty heavily and should have re-seasoned before searing off, I think. I didn't get much garlic or rosemary flavor in the meat, so I'd probably up that or just use some jank steak rub with dried herbs and garlic salt or something for maximum flavor boostage.

I ice-bathed the second steak in the cooking bag for like 40 minutes and chucked it in the fridge for eating sometime in the next few days. This ends your "newbie cooks a steak" report.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did you pat it dry first and wait like a few minutes?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Plinkey posted:

Did you pat it dry first and wait like a few minutes?

Patted dry well first. Didn't wait. Instructions I read didn't mention doing that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pat them dry before you sear. Dry surfaces brown faster.

Now you know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Also, dry brine your steaks by coating them in kosher salt an hour or two before you throw it in the puddle. Rinse off the excess salt before vacuum sealing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
And if you add a bit of butter right before searing the steak it helps get a good crust. I learned that in this thread.

Also turn the steak every 10-15 seconds and sear for no longer than 1 minute total (says Kenji and it works every time).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Pat them dry before you sear. Dry surfaces brown faster.

Now you know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

I said I dried them though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ShaneB posted:

I said I dried them though.

Next time, you'll want to pat them dry with some paper towels before you sear them, since it'll lead to a better crust.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh and definitely make sure you pat them dry! It really helps! You’d be surprised!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What about trying them wet. Steam those hams.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

What about trying them wet. Steam those hams.

Gotta keep those juices in

re: garlic, yeah, raw cloves don't seem to do as well as dried granulated or whatever for that purpose.
I'm surprised about the rosemary though, usually herbs get pretty intense in the bag. I normally underseason relative to other cooking methods.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

Is there any reason 144 wouldn't be safe?

Not that I know of, but I don't want to take chances with 72-hour short ribs. I usually make them for company and I don't want to have to cancel plans, or toss bags and serve scanty portions.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

Also, dry brine your steaks by coating them in kosher salt an hour or two before you throw it in the puddle. Rinse off the excess salt before vacuum sealing.

I usually do this for my regular steaks, the classic "coat that poo poo in kosher salt for an hour per inch" routine and rinse it off. That should pull out some excess moisture perhaps and give the deep seasoning I crave.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone got a good guide to pork chops? I've tried the Seriouseats version of 140F at 1~4 hours multiple times but each time the meat has been pretty tough and stringy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just tried some soft boiled eggs. 3 minutes into a rolling boil, 1 minute ice shock, 45 minutes at 143. They came out with a ring of set outer whites, a mushy runny inner white, and a runny yolk. A friend did some the exact same way and they looked perfect. Fully set whites with a lava yolk.

WHAT GIVES? I checked my water temp with a digital thermopen thing and it was exactly what the Anova said, so it's not a calibration issue.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eggs are not all exactly the same

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spankmeister posted:

Eggs are not all exactly the same

CMON CHICKENS

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

older eggs tend to have looser whites and will break easier. this is likely the reason there's a divergence texture-wise.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Elizabethan Error posted:

older eggs tend to have looser whites and will break easier. this is likely the reason there's a divergence texture-wise.

I'm convinced that this is the reason I haven't been able to do Kenji's hollandaise more than once successfully and I'm sticking to it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Drain the loose whites in a strainer and poach them next time if they're old and loose and they'll kick rear end.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm convinced that this is the reason I haven't been able to do Kenji's hollandaise more than once successfully and I'm sticking to it.

It never seems to work for me but always works for my wife and it drives me a little crazy trying to figure out why.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Could also check your fridge temp vs. your friend's fridge temp. You would want to check it where the eggs are stored since there could be a significant difference if one of you keeps them on the door or something.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Just tried some soft boiled eggs. 3 minutes into a rolling boil, 1 minute ice shock, 45 minutes at 143. They came out with a ring of set outer whites, a mushy runny inner white, and a runny yolk. A friend did some the exact same way and they looked perfect. Fully set whites with a lava yolk.

WHAT GIVES? I checked my water temp with a digital thermopen thing and it was exactly what the Anova said, so it's not a calibration issue.

I tried this several times. I I found I had better success at 3 degrees higher than whatever it was the David Chang said in mind of a chef. Can't remember but I think I used 63 C. Anyway eggs are not worth it. Takes far too long and can be achieved by simpler means.

Edit: enjoying leftover porchetta on bread. Still great after 2 days in the fridge

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hopper posted:

I tried this several times. I I found I had better success at 3 degrees higher than whatever it was the David Chang said in mind of a chef. Can't remember but I think I used 63 C. Anyway eggs are not worth it. Takes far too long and can be achieved by simpler means.

Yeah honestly my wife's 6 minute eggs are nearly perfection so I don't see the point to trying it again.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Hopper posted:

Edit: enjoying leftover porchetta on bread. Still great after 2 days in the fridge

That stuff is stupid good as a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Hell yes, all belly porchetta on ciabatta with salsa verde, dijon mustard and sharp provolone = my favorite sandwich of all time.