Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How tall was Pertwee compared to Capaldi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Decius posted:

I'm looking very much forward to Whittaker, but drat, will I miss Capaldi.

Capaldi and Smith are both Doctors I absolutely adore that ended up with a 30/70 good-to-poo poo ratio and absolutely deserved better. Capaldi especially, I actually feel bad for him given how huge a fan he is and how excited he was to play the role. Maybe Big Finish can eventually give them the stories they deserved.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Burkion posted:

How tall was Pertwee compared to Capaldi?

Capaldi is two inches shorter, at 6'0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinylshadow posted:

Capaldi is two inches shorter, at 6'0

Is that with or without the hair?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe Big Finish can eventually give them the stories they deserved.

Peter Capaldi is The Doctor in Doctor Who: Night of the Chumblies, by P. Capaldi.
Additional Chumbley noises by Peter C. and cast

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

Is that with or without the hair?

Score draw there I think

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Peter Capaldi is The Doctor in Doctor Who: Night of the Chumblies, by P. Capaldi.
Additional Chumbley noises by Peter C. and cast

It's a goddamn crime against humanity that he never got an episode with the Chumblies.

We got The Zygon Invasion instead.

Well at least the speech in the second half was one of the best Doctor speeches ever, imho.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/946350284200017920

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I realised that for Clara to be part of the Testimony they’d have to pause time in the fraction of a micro-second after she finally gets reinserted back into her timeline after the Big Finish DinerARDIS Adventures with Me. That’s a hell of a sliver to play with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I realised that for Clara to be part of the Testimony they’d have to pause time in the fraction of a micro-second after she finally gets reinserted back into her timeline after the Big Finish DinerARDIS Adventures with Me. That’s a hell of a sliver to play with.

Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Colin's shirt:

https://twitter.com/Bafflegabble/status/911584939434487808

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That reminds me, how do I get in touch with Colin's agent/representation?

I want to invite him to my wedding.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

The one good thing that came out of the RTD era -- other than Oxxipation's infinite suffering -- is the show's overt acknowledgement that time travel is a bunch of dumb bullshit and we shouldn't think too hard about it
I love this too, but I also love that there's one rule they always follow: You can't interfere with your own timeline. Unless you already did, in which case you must.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, it's World War I, the dude is probably dying tomorrow anyway, so it's not really a huge problem. Two copies, sure, but they can probably just scan the (slightly) later version and integrate the (small amount of) memories into the first copy. I'm sure, once they get the second copy they would figure out he's the same guy, the computer seemed pretty smart.

He was in the crater because he was sent over the top. He's probably going over again.

edit: Uh...sorry to gently caress up the happy ending?

He was the Brigadiers grandfather. He survived WW1

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Unfetered One posted:

He was the Brigadiers grandfather. He survived WW1

Unless he already had a kid at home. He referenced a family, so I’d say there’s a good chance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Unless he already had a kid at home. He referenced a family, so I’d say there’s a good chance.

He mentioned his wife and his boys.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

It's a goddamn crime against humanity that he never got an episode with the Chumblies.

We got The Zygon Invasion instead.

Well at least the speech in the second half was one of the best Doctor speeches ever, imho.

We'll find out a few years from now that Moffat had planned a Chumblies episode, but was talked out of it by Nick Briggs, so they'd have something to dangle in front of Capaldi in case he was balking at doing Big Finish once they got the 12th Doctor rights...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm just sad we never got an Armando Iannucci penned episode with Capaldi

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm disappointed Craig Ferguson never showed up in the period after he left late night, but before Capaldi left.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm waiting for Jenny, Clara, Ashildr, Bill, and Heather to all meet up

Maybe toss in Handles, K9, and Rusty as well, to spice up Clara's TARDIS (and I'm curious as to what kind of personality it has, or did they phase those out in later models?)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like this would make for an amazing special for a nonexistent adults-aimed charity marathon. Not because it's necessarily going to be all that dirty, but it's going to be a squarely adult-aimed story.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm waiting for Jenny, Clara, Ashildr, Bill, and Heather to all meet up

Maybe toss in Handles, K9, and Rusty as well, to spice up Clara's TARDIS (and I'm curious as to what kind of personality it has, or did they phase those out in later models?)

I think if you go by the expanded universe material, TARDISes are so complex that they HAVE to be living things or they don't work properly, so I don't think they ever phased out personalities.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I think if you go by the expanded universe material, TARDISes are so complex that they HAVE to be living things or they don't work properly, so I don't think they ever phased out personalities.

I think there's a point in one of the Eighth Doctor book lines where one of his companions is an advanced-model TARDIS disguised as a human woman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fil5000 posted:

I always just assumed the Doctor's TARDIS was unique in that the capsules rarely got multiple concurrent uses without being returned/wiped/reset but his has been zipping around time and space for Millenia now gaining experiences and developing a relationship with the Doctor that most Time Lords would never know - hence it surviving House's trap in The Doctor's Wife when the others burnt out their human vessels in a matter of seconds.

I love that way back in the first Hartnell season in Edge of Destruction he casually dismisses the idea of the ship having a mind of its own but later admits it was trying in its own rough way to communicate their peril to them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

I think there's a point in one of the Eighth Doctor book lines where one of his companions is an advanced-model TARDIS disguised as a human woman.

Yes, Compassion! She became a type 102 TARDIS after receiving signals from the Doctor’s TARDIS (her society tapped into the media via an earpiece receiver, and since coming aboard...)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I always just assumed the Doctor's TARDIS was unique in that the capsules rarely got multiple concurrent uses without being returned/wiped/reset but his has been zipping around time and space for Millenia now gaining experiences and developing a relationship with the Doctor that most Time Lords would never know - hence it surviving House's trap in The Doctor's Wife when the others burnt out their human vessels in a matter of seconds.

I love that way back in the first Hartnell season in Edge of Destruction he casually dismisses the idea of the ship having a mind of its own but later admits it was trying in its own rough way to communicate their peril to them.

I don't doubt that the Doctor's TARDIS is unique in how long it's been around a single pilot/owner, but the just the fact that Iris refers to her "sisters" in The Doctor's Wife suggests there's at least SOMETHING going on there even if we just stick to what's been on TV and ignore all the books and audios.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I have a feeling it would have been an even more twisted take on The Happiness Patrol...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

If we're talking fantasy Who writers, I'd love an episode by Charles Stross. He'd have to tone it down a bit, but I think the way he can mix sci fi-horror stuff with utterly mundane British bureaucracy would be sweet.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/brianmcgilloway/status/945951773046595584

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hah. I couldn't help but notice that when Eleven was recording his message for Clara about dealing with Twelve, he said "The man you're with" when talking about Twelve. As if it was completely obvious that he'd regenerate into a man.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Holy poo poo. Capaldi is officially the Sweetest Doctor Ever.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

It has always always turned out good for Dr. Who

quote:

Never reveal your name to anyone, except children

Confirmation the Doctor's real name is "Dr. Who" in Capaldi's personal headcannon, confirmed.

:boom:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

If we're talking fantasy Who writers, I'd love an episode by Charles Stross. He'd have to tone it down a bit, but I think the way he can mix sci fi-horror stuff with utterly mundane British bureaucracy would be sweet.

Kim Newman.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kim Newman.

One of my favourite panellists on Space Cadets.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kim Newman.

Didn't care much for his Doctor Who novella though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Didn't care much for his Doctor Who novella though

I haven't read it, though I've read most (not all) of his other fictional stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fil5000 posted:

I kind of really want to see Charlie Brooker do an episode. I think he's probably too busy to do it, though.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it wasnt as good as I was expecting, but it was ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of really want to see Charlie Brooker do an episode. I think he's probably too busy to do it, though.

He'd have fit in the Capaldi early era, probably. Darkness, cynicism, glimmer of hope by showrunner's orders.

The TV run on Retro just went through Castrovalva the past two nights. As regeneration episodes go, it might be one of the very best. Introduce a raft of new characters, neat supporting characters, oddly decent music for the Peter-Howell-on-a-Casio era, a fun series of events, the establishment of the Master's needlessly complex plots and disguises...just the look of minor disappointment when he'd thought his first trap worked, because he had a second, completely absurd trap to spring afterward is a joy.

MY WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB

I'm gonna miss Capaldi, but I get the feeling his run is going to age really, really well. With the exception of the Zygon two-parter, because Jesus, way to gently caress up the tone of the whole show. It almost felt like Oxygen was a pendulum course correction.

• Locked thread