Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

they made it less usable with the latest watchOS redesign imo. Been using one since the first release.

shortcuts to quickly change volume or pause whatever you’re playing on phone are gone and they changed the navigation method AGAIN.

another annoyance: it’s a freakin Watch first, but I can’t remember how many screens hide the time display which forces me to press the stupid Crown button to go back. the time should always be displayed at least in a corner, but there’s a lot of stuff that hides it
i have no idea what you're talking about. the now playing app is there and does exactly what you're saying, and that's assuming you're not using an app that has a watch app (like spotify or whatever). you can even have it set so it automatically launches and is always showing when playing something.

similarly, i just went through every app i've used recently and they all show the time in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Stymie posted:

i wonder if the apple board is going to claw back tim's huge bonus now that he's starting to miss sales targets

they wouldn't be clawed back, just expire worthless if he misses target. what they'd do is change the objective on any new ones they award

it's like european-style options. you get an option with a $100 strike. if at expiration the underlying is $99, your option expires worthless. in his case, i think the strike is "outperform half of the companies in the S&P 500"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Endless Mike posted:

i have no idea what you're talking about. the now playing app is there and does exactly what you're saying, and that's assuming you're not using an app that has a watch app (like spotify or whatever). you can even have it set so it automatically launches and is always showing when playing something.

How do you get to this app? Before it was just a swipe and you'd have play controls. Now you can double click the crown, or the big button and switch apps, but there's no quick way to access Now Playing.

I can click the crown and go into the stupid app screen, search through all the icons for the app I want (Overcast, usually) and then go in and pause, but it's so annoying now it's just easier to pull put the phone and pause. Is there an easier way?

Endless Mike posted:

similarly, i just went through every app i've used recently and they all show the time in the corner.

Get a notification: No time display
Accidentally press Crown button and go to app screen: No time display (happens all the time to me with my big muscular manly wrists I guess this is not your problem with your frail feminine bone structure)
Swipe up for the tiny control center: No time display
Engage Siri: No time display
Siri Answers anything after a long uncomfortable pause where you're wondering if she even picked up what you said: No time display

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tim just got a fat pile of stock, btw, it's entirely possible that some of the people who post in this thread don't know what they're talking about

quote:

Apple today published its most recent shareholder proxy statement, outlining some interesting details about its performance in 2017. As noted by Bloomberg, Tim Cook ended the year as a big winner, netting a 74 percent bonus thanks to the company’s strong performance in fiscal 2017…

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
[

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Jimmy Carter posted:

any good trade rags you’d recommend on this stuff? or is it just ‘find out where supply managers like to drink’?

"the information" usually carries interesting stuff but you have to pay (i dont)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

How do you get to this app? Before it was just a swipe and you'd have play controls. Now you can double click the crown, or the big button and switch apps, but there's no quick way to access Now Playing.

I can click the crown and go into the stupid app screen, search through all the icons for the app I want (Overcast, usually) and then go in and pause, but it's so annoying now it's just easier to pull put the phone and pause. Is there an easier way?

Get a notification: No time display
Accidentally press Crown button and go to app screen: No time display (happens all the time to me with my big muscular manly wrists I guess this is not your problem with your frail feminine bone structure)
Swipe up for the tiny control center: No time display
Engage Siri: No time display
Siri Answers anything after a long uncomfortable pause where you're wondering if she even picked up what you said: No time display

endless mike always has a flawless apple experience and when someone else doesn;t its clearly their fault and imagines every person who uses apple on the planet never has issues just like him, unless they, the user, is making mistakes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

tim just got a fat pile of stock, btw, it's entirely possible that some of the people who post in this thread don't know what they're talking about

golden parachute from sinking the crapple titanic

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

golden poopchute from sinking the crapple titanic

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can put Now Playing in the dock and get to it by pressing the side button.

Or put the Now Playing complication on a face with a bottom complication area and tap that.

Or go to Settings - General - Wake Screen in the Watch app and turn on Auto-launch Audio Apps to have controls always pop up automatically when you play music on your phone (which is kind of annoying).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

golden parachute from sinking the crapple titanic

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/946473298048770048

Poor Tim, hanging on by a thread

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the board is concerned that timb will get assaulted on a commercial flight over PLANNED OBSOLECENCE-GATE

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/#ntf

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

endless mike always has a flawless apple experience and when someone else doesn;t its clearly their fault and imagines every person who uses apple on the planet never has issues just like him, unless they, the user, is making mistakes
it *is* user error here. he is complaining about something not existing that does (as pointed out above), and then about how it doesn't show the time in the moments after he's actively gone and left the main screen, like the whole one minute it could change is going to send him into an autistic meltdown

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

29$ is not bad at all for an official battery replacement.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Matt Zerella posted:

29$ is not bad at all for an official battery replacement.

unless the phones are defective and nearly all of them will require premature replacement

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January

Hey, cool!

quote:

and available worldwide through December 2018.

Wait, what?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Wells posted:

Hey, cool!

Wait, what?

what part of the simple sentence is confusing you?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
How much does it cost to go to the android store for a battery replacement

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I read it as it would end after december '18, but I guess they mean it'll go live worldwide over the course of the year. nontechnical child here!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Wells posted:

Oh, I read it as it would end after december '18, but I guess they mean it'll go live worldwide over the course of the year. nontechnical child here!

let me help you parse this by rearranging some words

it will be available world wide from the end of january (2018) to the end of december 2018, at which point the offer will end and the replacement battery will go back to being $79

so you read it correctly, i just don't know where your surprise falls into things here.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
I bought an SE 3-4 months ago (good) but won't qualify for the cheapo battery replacement when I probably end up needing it (bad). I'm a stingy spendthrift and that is displeasurable to me

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cool startup feel posted:

How much does it cost to go to the android store for a battery replacement

idk how much does a new android phone cost? like $50?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Won’t someone think of the strip mall battery replacement shops?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
oh nice, gonna schedule a trip to the apple store to get my aftermarket but otherwise identical looking battery replaced for cheap

it looks exactly the same as the apple ones but the supplier smeared away the apple logos lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
when apple built their fancy new flagship waterfront apple store in chicago (the one whose roof is a giant flat macbook air) they apparently didnt consider that in chicago it sometimes snows and icicles form

so the entire area around the store is roped off because its a deathtrap right now

https://www.spudart.org/blog/design-flaw-apple-flagship-store/

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FMguru posted:

when apple built their fancy new flagship waterfront apple store in chicago (the one whose roof is a giant flat macbook air) they apparently didnt consider that in chicago it sometimes snows and icicles form

so the entire area around the store is roped off because its a deathtrap right now

lol
this is a dumbass question, i know, but how do you design around that? i've spent most of my life in places that don't get a ton of snow.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Slopes and gutters.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

lol

lol. the hack jonny ives strikes again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wouldn't gutters just fill with snow then you'd have the same problem?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Slopes and gutters.

yeah they could throw up some gutters on there in an afternoon and it would be all set.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

if they're installed properly it wont be a problem most of the time because icicles are caused by dripping water which should stay in the gutter even with snow. you can also get heated ones if you have serious snow and ice problems

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

if they're installed properly it wont be a problem most of the time because icicles are caused by dripping water which should stay in the gutter even with snow. you can also get heated ones if you have serious snow and ice problems
whatever solution they come up with it will probably cost a whole 11 minutes of that store's average turnover

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

qirex posted:

most builders have solved this problem decades ago

snow and ice are not a new problem at all ffs

zen death robot
May 27, 2001
the number of people in yospos who are mystified by snow and ice is worrisome

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're gonna wait until next year to roll out the fix which will be fancier barriers

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
heat the roof, timb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

zen death robot posted:

most builders have solved this problem decades ago

snow and ice are not a new problem at all ffs

my understanding is that part of the solution is "don't build a roof that slopes gently towards the edges on all sides"

looking forward to a jony gutter patent application showing up on macrumors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no, its a combination of a sloping roof, even insulation (to prevent ice dams), and gutters. they didn't want gutters and thought they didn't need them because they're idiots.