Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Oh poo poo how could I forget about that bit from Demolition Man? I loving love that movie, but I haven’t seen it in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I remain surprised to this day that people didn't think this movie kicked rear end.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am sure Predator will be decent if only because the simpler it is, with fun characters and snappy dialog, the better it may work. Terminator ends up being more ambitious giving it more risk and I’m confident in Cameron but if he doesn’t over see it directly it won’t be optimal awesome. Does depend how much a poo poo he gives.

It may be wrong but if enjoy if Lethal Weapon had crossed over with Predator. Murtaugh and Riggs vs Alien hunter sounds fun. Danny Glover showed us it could work

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I rewatched all four Lethal Weapons yesterday (because I want to make the most of my Christmas break before work starts back next week). While 3 and 4 aren't as good as 1 and 2, I think they maintain a really consistently high level of quality across all four. Is the TV series good? I've got to get into the TV series.

One thing that occurred to me this time which never really had when I'd seen any of them previously is that, for some reason, they remind me a lot of Indiana Jones. I'm not sure why; it's not just Jeffrey Boam writing the second and third ones after he'd done Last Crusade, there's just a kind of je ne sais quoi to them that evokes Indiana Jones for me.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe it’s because like Indy Jones the characters of Lethal Weapon are very human and soulful. Murtaugh is devastated he shot a kid with a gun and it doesn’t shy away. Sean Connery going for glory but facing his age are also human elements. They have good characterization and feel very human and spiritual imo. The characters question or observe their existence.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s that very specific balance where the good Indys and Lethal Weapon 1 (haven’t seen the rest so I can’t comment) are chock full of jokes, but they’re written and edited in such a way that it never feels like the jokes are slowing down the action scenes, and instead add to the rhythm and conflict of the scenes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s that very specific balance where the good Indys and Lethal Weapon 1 (haven’t seen the rest so I can’t comment) are chock full of jokes, but they’re written and edited in such a way that it never feels like the jokes are slowing down the action scenes, and instead add to the rhythm and conflict of the scenes.
That's a problem I have with way too many recent-ish action movies (Indy 4 included), where scenes all but stop for a "joke" as if everyone involved was expecting applause from a live audience. If you've got a hopefully exciting action sequence on the go, don't loving pause it for a lovely wisecrack!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remain surprised to this day that people didn't think this movie kicked rear end.

My only complaint about it is how ugly it's shot at times. Everything else owns.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I waited in the theater looking at a black screen for like 30 minutes and it was worth it just to watch Hardcore Henry.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I waited in the theater looking at a black screen for like 30 minutes and it was worth it just to watch Hardcore Henry.

I don't hate that movie as much as I did when I saw it, but man, I'd still almost prefer the black screen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The ridiculous plot and gimmick are, honestly speaking, the kind of thing more movies need.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

The ridiculous plot and gimmick are, honestly speaking, the kind of thing more movies need.

It's also got a much more interesting take on its premise than I suspected it would.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I rewatched all four Lethal Weapons yesterday (because I want to make the most of my Christmas break before work starts back next week). While 3 and 4 aren't as good as 1 and 2, I think they maintain a really consistently high level of quality across all four. Is the TV series good? I've got to get into the TV series.

The Lethal Weapon TV series is ridiculously fun. My wife and I love it. It's predictable as hell, but the show is gorgeously shot and looks very expensive, and it's hilarious and has a surprising amount of heart.

Maybe because we've spent so much more time with them at this point, but I think I like Clayne Crawford and Damon Wayans as Riggs and Murtaugh even more than Mel Gibson and Danny Glover. Crawford's Riggs seems more soulful, damaged, and self-destructive, while Gibson's Riggs seems more like an unhinged, cocky rear end in a top hat. (Granted, I haven't seen any of the movies in several years, but I intend to rewatch them when they become available on Netflix in January.) Damon Wayans is much older now than Danny Glover was when he filed the movies, but he seems more youthful and exuberant (which flies in the face of him being too old for this poo poo). I prefer TV Trish, Riggs' psychologist, and especially their supportive, long-suffering captain, who are much more developed characters in the show. I even like Thomas Lennon as Leo Getz, from his two appearances so far.

And best of all, there is no dated Clapton/Sanborn soundtrack, although they do shoehorn annoying pop songs into the opening montages of L.A. at its most glitzy and beautiful.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah I second that the Lethal Weapon TV show is good fun and worth watching through. Great character interactions, a bit of action, glitzy LA crimes, what more do you need.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How can you dis on the lethal weapon sax soundtrack

Cmon son

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do they set it in the late 80s or is it in the present day? Does it adapt the plots of the movies at all or is it reusing the characters in a different setting?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

got any sevens posted:

How can you dis on the lethal weapon sax soundtrack

Cmon son

I'm even a sax player, so I can't hate it, but it just sounds so '80s to me, and not in a good way, like the '80s-sounding synths in The Guest, Drive, and Stranger Things. To me, it just dates the movies even though they're otherwise pretty timeless. It's Clapton I dislike more than Sanborn -- just never been a fan. What do Clapton and Starbucks coffee have in common?

They're both terrible without Cream.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do they set it in the late 80s or is it in the present day? Does it adapt the plots of the movies at all or is it reusing the characters in a different setting?

It's set in the present, and they haven't directly adapted anything from the movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm even a sax player, so I can't hate it, but it just sounds so '80s to me, and not in a good way, like the '80s-sounding synths in The Guest, Drive, and Stranger Things. To me, it just dates the movies even though they're otherwise pretty timeless.

hosed up that a movie from the 80s has a soundtrack that makes it actually sound like it’s from the 80s and not like a show or movie that’s pretending to be an idealized version of the 80s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the main weakness of Lethal Weapon or at least the thing that sets them apart from a lot of their contemporaries is that they don't tend to have really fun or memorable villains. There's not usually a whole lot to them. Even with an actor like Joss Ackland, the most memorable thing about Arjen Rudd is "DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITAAAAAYYYY!" at the very end of 2.

For instance, for all that he's not exactly a credible physical match for Stallone, John Lithgow is still one of the most enjoyable parts of Cliffhanger. And Face/Off wouldn't be up to much if not for Nicolas Cage as Castor Troy and John Travolta as Nicolas Cage as Castor Troy.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

hosed up that a movie from the 80s has a soundtrack that makes it actually sound like it’s from the 80s and not like a show or movie that’s pretending to be an idealized version of the 80s.

needs more disco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swiT08DUhBo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's an issue with the show too, since for the most part, the episodes have been stand-alone stories with very little in the way of overarching plots or recurring villains. Although they introduced one right before the current season's holiday hiatus, and I suspect he'll play an important role in the back half.

Almost every show gets better when they establish a recurring villain or threat.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The guy in LW3 hammed it up well and has a lot of great lines though. "Now we can write our names in the cement!" He was also in Mask of Zorro and Hot Fuzz :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do we agree that Lethal Weapon is a better Christmas movie than Die Hard? :v:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nein

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I love Lethal Weapon, but I’m gonna call Die Hard the greatest action movie ever made.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I love Lethal Weapon, but I’m gonna call Die Hard the greatest action movie ever made.

Unless you count Raiders, I have to agree.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Unless you count Raiders, I have to agree.

Die Hard is Action, Raiders is Adventure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Last Crusade is better than Raiders anyway.

Does anyone have any action-adventure recommendations like Indiana Jones?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first Mummy with Brendan Fraser and the first Pirates of the Caribbean. I still have nothing but love for those, no matter how rotten the sequels got.

There aren't nearly enough action-adventure movies like those.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The first Mummy with Brendan Fraser and the first Pirates of the Caribbean. I still have nothing but love for those, no matter how rotten the sequels got.

There aren't nearly enough action-adventure movies like those.

Whole heartedly agreed. Need more movies like Indiana Jones Quadrilogy, Pirates, and Mummy. Maybe National Treasure? Romancing the Stone?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Rocketeer is action-adventure, on top of being kind of a proto-superhero movie. And I have nothing but love for it as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aw, I love all those already (and the first Antonio Banderas Zorro movie - I can't believe that Zorro's hundredth anniversary is 2019 and nobody's doing a movie to celebrate). I was hoping there'd be more I hadn't heard of. The most recent one that occurs to me was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, which was flawed but which I mostly liked. You know what would be really cool? A movie version of Crimson Skies.

There was a TV show from the early 80s created by Donald P. Bellisario (I think it was his first follow-up to Magnum P.I.) called Tales of the Gold Monkey which aimed to cash in on the popularity of Raiders. From what I understand, it was a live-action version of TaleSpin with humans instead of Jungle Book characters. I've never seen it but it's been on my list for a while.

Did anyone ever see The Phantom with Billy Zane? I believe it was Jeffrey Boam's last major screenplay before his death; it comes from the same era as all those early 90s superhero movies that wanted in on that Batman '89 money. It's not very good, but I think there's a really good movie in it somewhere.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Rocketeer is great as are the two Zorro movies.

That being said I do remember the Phantom. Especially since Bruce Campbell was in the running to play him too. Now this gravitates maybe more to action but do Darkman and Shadow fall more into superhero or something? They're not exactly adventure. They're more Pulp I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Phantom (and the Shadow to an extent) is right on the line that divides Doc Savage style pulp adventure from superheroes and specifically Batman.

One movie which might be in this wheelhouse, which was somewhat problematic but which I nonetheless enjoyed more than disliked was the Lone Ranger adaptation from a few years ago with Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Goonies is a fun adventure film

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

greatest action movie ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeuBPDUzB0

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/AF7qrDujmw8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's too bad Weir (or anyone) never made any more Aubrey-Maturin movies, especially since I believe the movie made a decent amount of money, was nominated for a bunch of Oscars and even won a few, the cast were all signed to do another one and they even bought the boat they used, but I've heard it's a miserable time trying to film on water.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Adventures of Tintin is a loving blast, and it’s even directed by Spielberg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Adventures of Tintin is a loving blast, and it’s even directed by Spielberg!

My brother's a big Tintin fan and he's had the dvd for years but I still haven't seen that.

I've always been very keen on the opening credits for the animated series. Even just the first 20 seconds of it.