Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
I don’t know how popular arcades are outside of big cities but I think it would be cool to pay 25 cents to play 3 lives worth of Tiger Tiger on an old-fashioned cabinet while drinking a cheap beer while my nerd buddies cheer me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nerdz posted:

I played the whole game as healer Rex and it made everything extremely easy. I also beat all the level 100+ super bosses with it. it's probably one of the strongest setups you can do. if you have a bitball blade and spec it fully for damage you can fully heal your party each 3 seconds while hitting enemies for 50k HP per driver art. that's not to mention the plot healing blade that makes you almost invincible when maxed out.

What is it about the plot healing blade that is so good? I couldn't see anything in their skills or affinity chart that seemed significantly different from other healers.

edit: Important question - do foods that increase Arts regeneration rate by 0.4 stack? I've been using one Arts rate food and one food focusing on party gauge or blade combo damage or whatever, but maybe I should be using two Arts rate foods at the same time if they stack.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 28, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got Floren on someone who is not Nia, should I overdrive him onto Nia

E: I also got a Nim for the 4th character, should I overdrive her to Nia

Floren on Nia is very good, Nim is the weird fox girl right? Four is good at healing so keep it on her.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

What is it about the plot healing blade that is so good? I couldn't see anything in their skills or affinity chart that seemed significantly different from other healers.

Their passive regen seems pretty good. I haven't seen it on any other blades. I think they can also basically full heal the party with most specials.

I haven't used her much as a blade because when I'm sidequesting I want that sweet sidequest trust to hit as many blades as possible

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got Floren on someone who is not Nia, should I overdrive him onto Nia

E: I also got a Nim for the 4th character, should I overdrive her to Nia

I wouldn't do both, since they're both earth-type. Also, Nim can finish off her quest and grid looooong before Floren can, if that affects your decision at all.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Important question - do foods that increase Arts regeneration rate by 0.4 stack? I've been using one Arts rate food and one food focusing on party gauge or blade combo damage or whatever, but maybe I should be using two Arts rate foods at the same time if they stack.

They do stack.

And for the healing blade, it has several unique things going for it. First, the weapon type is unique, and it has a traditional heal as a driver art that does not rely on hitting an enemy. It's the only traditional heal for Rex. Her driver arts also hit really hard, on par with attack blades.

Second, the 3 battle skills are really good and have great heal synergy, unlike any other healing blade. She has an equivalent of damage heal V and Auto-attack heal V. If you go ahead and equip a damage heal V on her she has a 25% chance of healing 25% health on hit. This makes you extremely, absurdly tanky. It's hilarious fighting superbosses with multi-hit attacks that will end up fully healing you instead.

And then, the best unique healing skill in the game: The passive heal on the entire team. This is insanely good because it's a heal that's always going on and it will still happen if you're toppled or anything like that. It also still keeps going even during blade combo finishers or level 4 specials, which means that any blade combo finisher will heal a pretty good chunk of your health.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final boss: am I missing some mechanic with Siren Buster. it just OHKOs me every time, I tried 3 times with different tactics, like running around, or trying to get aggro on someone else or something. What is this attack?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's just a party-wide attack. You need more hp or ether defense.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Final boss: am I missing some mechanic with Siren Buster. it just OHKOs me every time, I tried 3 times with different tactics, like running around, or trying to get aggro on someone else or something. What is this attack?

Use a chain attack as it winds up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Use a chain attack as it winds up.

After the cutscene it automatically returns my part guage to 0 even if it was full.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

nerdz posted:

They do stack.

And for the healing blade, it has several unique things going for it. First, the weapon type is unique, and it has a traditional heal as a driver art that does not rely on hitting an enemy. It's the only traditional heal for Rex. Her driver arts also hit really hard, on par with attack blades.

Second, the 3 battle skills are really good and have great heal synergy, unlike any other healing blade. She has an equivalent of damage heal V and Auto-attack heal V. If you go ahead and equip a damage heal V on her she has a 25% chance of healing 25% health on hit. This makes you extremely, absurdly tanky. It's hilarious fighting superbosses with multi-hit attacks that will end up fully healing you instead.

And then, the best unique healing skill in the game: The passive heal on the entire team. This is insanely good because it's a heal that's always going on and it will still happen if you're toppled or anything like that. It also still keeps going even during blade combo finishers or level 4 specials, which means that any blade combo finisher will heal a pretty good chunk of your health.

Also the first autoattack comes out super fast so you can turborecharge all of the arts super fast

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

In Training posted:

It has an area of effect but I have no idea what its range is, I just know that randomly one of my party members would fail to die.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Grinding Tiger Tiger is so tedious. I can consistently no damage & and all chests stage 5 but still don't have a master tank or evasion mod.

I have a Master Muscle, Luck, and Strike mod in case I ever want to turn Tora into an attacker or healer.

Actually, question so I'm not simply griping. When it says "Dex Mod" or "Luck Mod" followed by a percentage does it increase the driver's stat by that amount?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

After the cutscene it automatically returns my part guage to 0 even if it was full.

This happened because I was watching cutscenes, so I suppose the party drain occurs during cutscenes since you're not in battle. When I skipped it I came in with the same resources. Very silly.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Poppy Alpha also straight up cannot use some skill upgrades, like Glittering Stars I Treasure Sensor 1.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 28, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

In Training posted:

This happened because I was watching cutscenes, so I suppose the party drain occurs during cutscenes since you're not in battle. When I skipped it I came in with the same resources. Very silly.

The first time I fought them I watched the cutscene and still had full party gauge afterwards. :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PJOmega posted:

Actually, question so I'm not simply griping. When it says "Dex Mod" or "Luck Mod" followed by a percentage does it increase the driver's stat by that amount?

Yes. This is also partially why Poppi is (not so) secretly far and away the best blade in the game. With the right mods you can send Tora's stats into the stratosphere.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have finished the game...excellent experience. I never finished XBC1 and never played XBX, where their any connections beyond my assumption that the other half of the Architect was the antagonist of XBC1 or something. I assumed that was a line from that game that drifted through the portal and ended his life

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

In Training posted:

I have finished the game...excellent experience. I never finished XBC1 and never played XBX, where their any connections beyond my assumption that the other half of the Architect was the antagonist of XBC1 or something. I assumed that was a line from that game that drifted through the portal and ended his life
That's pretty much it, but a little more explanation:
the other half of the Architect was his rear end in a top hat side and it was the main bad guy in XB1, so technically you're racing against time to deal with Malos in this world (which actualyl has the Conduit) before the other half dies and messes everything up

there's also speculation that the new world at the end is the new world the protagonists of XB1 create at the end of that game, which we never see any of beyond a cinematic but seems semi-likely
plus the throwaway line about the third lost Aegis crystal is referring to the AI that lives in the Monado sword from XB1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's pretty much it, but a little more explanation:
the other half of the Architect was his rear end in a top hat side and it was the main bad guy in XB1, so technically you're racing against time to deal with Malos in this world (which actualyl has the Conduit) before the other half dies and messes everything up

there's also speculation that the new world at the end is the new world the protagonists of XB1 create at the end of that game, which we never see any of beyond a cinematic but seems semi-likely
plus the throwaway line about the third lost Aegis crystal is referring to the AI that lives in the Monado sword from XB1

oh yeah I figured as such with the Monaco, I had played enough of 1 to remember the set up for the mystical powers of it, and the weirdness of a "temporal rift jump" to reduce a trinity from 3 to 2 felt too weird to not be related to 1.

So XB3 could be the cast of 1 and 2 making a new world or whatever. Could be fun, if it ever exists

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What would be really, really cool is if enemies that one of your currently equipped Blades has to defeat for their affinity chart were marked as they are in sidequests. I don't wanna have to cross-reference player compendiums and ingame stuff just to finish a drat requirement, and I want to know sooner rather than later that I need to kill some number of enemies in Area X before I finish Area Y.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 28, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pollyanna posted:

What would be really, really cool is if enemies that one of your currently equipped Blades has to defeat for their affinity chart were marked as they are in sidequests. I don't wanna have to cross-reference player compendiums and ingame stuff just to finish a drat requirement, and I want to know sooner rather than later that I need to kill X enemies in Area 1 before I finish Area 5.

I am only worrying about blades that I can't send on merc missions for this. You should do the same, it's much less painful.

Admittedly, massively outleveling everything since I went on a sidequest/gold chip farm binge at the start of chapter six has meant a lot of backtracking so I could actually unlock those nodes for those blades, since I've basically been running through everything without worrying about aggro because I outlevel everything by about 20 so I never get into fights that aren't story or quest related.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

IcePhoenix posted:

I am only worrying about blades that I can't send on merc missions for this. You should do the same, it's much less painful.

Admittedly, massively outleveling everything since I went on a sidequest/gold chip farm binge at the start of chapter six has meant a lot of backtracking so I could actually unlock those nodes for those blades, since I've basically been running through everything without worrying about aggro because I outlevel everything by about 20 so I never get into fights that aren't story or quest related.

IME missions take longer than otherwise if I know exactly where I'm going and what I need to kill. For the kill X enemy nodes, anyway

Also, for the merc missions, they need a better way of finding mercenaries that fit the requirements and bonuses of the mission. I don't want to sort through all my blades for someone with Entomology 3.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 28, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pollyanna posted:

IME missions take longer than otherwise if I know exactly where I'm going and what I need to kill. For the kill X enemy nodes, anyway

They do, but I could also be doing other things instead of trying to track down enemies and get both done at the same time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
For Poppi, what is the difference between the Skill RAM slots and the Skill Upgrades slots?

Also, I take it that the Specials Enhancing RAM slots each modify L1/L2/L3 specials respectively?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

use a normal salvaging cylinder, purposefully gently caress up the minigame, make sure you don't have any blades with salvage master on. most of the time you'll fish up a hermit crab mob which has a good chance of dropping a rare core crystal, 100% if you overkill it with a chain attack.

practically speaking, you could also coast on free and story blades (most of which are quite good) until the 60's, at which point you can driver combo high-level enemies over and over to farm legendary cores way faster than the mor ardain method would give you rare cores.

I guess I'll have to do this because I have zero tank Blades and nothing to give Zeke

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

Also, for the merc missions, they need a better way of finding mercenaries that fit the requirements and bonuses of the mission. I don't want to sort through all my blades for someone with Entomology 3.

For me it's the opposite. I rarely know where the Red-Striped Krabble or whatever the gently caress thing is found. I could look it up, but my computer is all the way over there and I'm comfy on the couch. So between wandering around an area until I find the right enemy and just sending the Blade on a random 30-minute Merc Mission, I'll take the Merc Mission.

Speaking of such things, I finally got my first unique Blade in awhile! It's Ursula! Folks here have been talking about her quite a bit, and now I have her!

She's on Five, because I've been having that character open all the Rare Cores in the hopes that Zenobia or whatever her name is pops up on the correct character. I really wish, if the devs had insisted on keeping the random gacha system for unique Blades, then at least they'd have made it easy to transfer Blades between characters! Getting a rare Blade on the wrong character just takes all the fun out of the experience and I haven't seen an Overdrive Thingy in like 3 chapters. :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is the name of track from Xenoblade 1 that only plays at dramatic moments and it has the female vocals? It was around when Metal Face did his Sephiroth impression.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 28, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

I guess I'll have to do this because I have zero tank Blades and nothing to give Zeke

If you haven't done them already, there are a few guaranteed Blades you can pick up right now, which might beat playing Russian roulette with the gachapon.

Go to the butcher's shop at Torigoth during the day to start the quest for Vess, an electric bitball healer. It's pretty involved; you might want to check youtube or whatever to figure out where to gather and run. Vess is good on pretty much anyone, though bitballs are especially good on Nia (she can Break with them).

Buy the tip about the gluttonous monster from an informant in Mor Ardain, then go to the other side of the locked gate in lower Mor Ardain and salvage there (they key to the gate is in the Fief of Forgetfulness; you'll go there during Vess' quest line). You'll fish up a mob that drops Kassandra's crystal, giving you a Dark Tank. I put her on Four because I was short on tanks too.

Buy the tip about the Core Crystal thieves from an informant in Torigoth, then go to the bridge behind the Torigoth inn with Four in your party. You'll get a quest that eventually gives you Praxis, a Water lance attacker. She's good filler for whatever.

You can also salvage with gold cylinders in Mor Ardain to farm up half a million real fast, then buy the core crystal in the junk shop in Torigoth. That'll get you Sheba, an insanely good ether cannon attacker, also water. You mentioned you didn't have any blades for Zeke, and Zeke happens to be your best bet for ether-based builds (plus he gets a Break on ether cannons even if you don't go that route).

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What is the name of track from Xenoblade 1 that only plays at dramatic moments and it has the female vocals?

Mystery? There's that and the final boss track/epilogue and that's it for female vocals I think.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Pollyanna posted:

For one blade, sure, but the convenience of letting 6 all do that junk simultaneously is the real attraction.

Also, currently in the last chapter and I'd like to thank Ursula for giving my other rares a sub-10minute merc mission to crank out their remaining nodes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What is the name of track from Xenoblade 1 that only plays at dramatic moments and it has the female vocals? It was around when Metal Face did his Sephiroth impression.

Engage the Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wdc_cDaUNQ

It can be hard to find at a glance because the female vocals only kick in about halfway.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
How do passive skills apply to battles in general? Do assigned blades' passives apply even if they're not the active blade, or do you need to swap blades in combat to activate desired passives? I would guess they need to be active, but then I don't see how they would come into play during chain attacks. If I wanted to use Agates party damage boosts during one, would I need to make sure I lead off with her during the chain attack?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's more efficient for grinding ether crystals, doing perfect runs of Stage 1 of Tiger Tiger, or getting treasure in Stage 4 and 5 to sell off? Skills matters, of course, so the former might be the only reasonable option.

From what I can tell, the bonus for all-ether and all-treasure is the same between stages, so if you're relying on that, grinding Stage 1 is better. If you can prove that the rewards from treasure are overall better/more valuable in Stage 4 and 5, though, then you could make an argument that they might be more lucrative.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 29, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you just want the ether it's almost assuredly perfect runs of stage 1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Makes sense. I can't find a reason to go to Stage 4 or 5 outside of the items that you can only get there. I don't think that's good game design.

Also, I tried giving Poppi her most favorite item, and it only adds 8 Trust for each use :( It doesn't look like forcefeeding will be a good way to build up Trust.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What's more efficient for grinding ether crystals, doing perfect runs of Stage 1 of Tiger Tiger, or getting treasure in Stage 4 and 5 to sell off? Skills matters, of course, so the former might be the only reasonable option.

What what what? We can turn junk extra equipment into ether??

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PJOmega posted:

What what what? We can turn junk extra equipment into ether??

Press Y at her third menu iirc

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pollyanna posted:

Makes sense. I can't find a reason to go to Stage 4 or 5 outside of the items that you can only get there. I don't think that's good game design.

Also, I tried giving Poppi her most favorite item, and it only adds 8 Trust for each use :( It doesn't look like forcefeeding will be a good way to build up Trust.

Don't give them their favorite items. Give them random bullshit they don't care about as its faster and favorite items don't give more trust. Crappy food items from Leftheria gave me 15 trust per item. Not sure how much that varies, but I was buying stuff costing 60-180gold, so price isn't a big contributer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

E: whoops didn't refresh the page