Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Why does the narrator in the tutorial popups keep addressing me in the first person, who the hell are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Does this game deliberately take a spike in difficulty around level 20? I've just had Vandham join me so I benched Tora for a bit. Tried putting a 2 star tank on Rex and just get chain bodied. Is it basically telling me, YOU NEED THE TRINITY FOOL and its pointless using the new guy for a bit, as I can't give him tank blades either.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LordVorbis posted:

Does this game deliberately take a spike in difficulty around level 20? I've just had Vandham join me so I benched Tora for a bit. Tried putting a 2 star tank on Rex and just get chain bodied. Is it basically telling me, YOU NEED THE TRINITY FOOL and its pointless using the new guy for a bit, as I can't give him tank blades either.

Vandham is not a permanent party member - if you can't put Blades on them they're not permanent - so keep Tora around. You need a tank of some sort, so yes, make sure you're well kitted out for that. Take a look at Driver Arts, Blade Arts, Stat Mods, Battle Skills, Weapon Types, etc. for your Tank candidates. For Rex, I'd advise loading two ATKs and one HLR, just in case.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 29, 2017

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

For anyone worried about needing to use Tora in order to min-max -- or even really access post-game challenges -- when they don't want to use him or do Tiger Tiger: I did every superboss with Four tanking, and on a few of them, Four never took damage or dropped primary aggro. Even before hitting max level.

Just do your thing. Activating team-wide invincibility through third-stage blade combos or pocketing a level 4 special with Rex is always your best damage mitigation.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LordVorbis posted:

When I got to that point, I benched Rex and controlled Buff Dad for awhile. Buff Dad is fun to control and it's fun to be someone besides Rex for a change. Give that a shot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unless you heavily grinded, Vandham is your first taste of canceling artes into artes. So get used to that, because that's basically how you actually play the game once you reach that node.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've got a question too, while I'm at it. I realize that Chain Attacks are your end game main source of damage. How do you keep Elemental Bursts going when you start stacking more than 3 or so orbs on a thing?

Hitting a weakness gives 2 hits of the requisite 3 to break an orb. The next character won't necessarily target that same orb, and in fact they usually don't. I found an accessory that makes you automatically target a damaged orb if you're not hitting a weakness, but that depends on party order for one, and that's a hell of an opportunity cost spending an accessory slot for that! Accessory slots are valuable!

So how do ya'll get your Elemental Bursts?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Silver Falcon posted:

I've got a question too, while I'm at it. I realize that Chain Attacks are your end game main source of damage. How do you keep Elemental Bursts going when you start stacking more than 3 or so orbs on a thing?

Hitting a weakness gives 2 hits of the requisite 3 to break an orb. The next character won't necessarily target that same orb, and in fact they usually don't. I found an accessory that makes you automatically target a damaged orb if you're not hitting a weakness, but that depends on party order for one, and that's a hell of an opportunity cost spending an accessory slot for that! Accessory slots are valuable!

There's an aux core called Elemental Orb Ender which destroys weaknesses in one hit.

It's better to go through as many rounds as possible before you burst enough to fill the gauge.

Common Blades can get a skill called Orb Master which is totally broken and if you equip as many as possible you can get 8 orbs up in like 2 minutes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Silver Falcon posted:

You can have nine elements active between your three active drivers, so there's always a redundancy. That means you can double up on one element in the first round to guarantee a burst. Then (if you hit the prompt at the start of the next round) everyone's blades are refreshed, so you can use whichever driver hit a different orb in the first round to hit that same orb again, breaking it. From there it should be pretty simple.

Rex also gets a mechanic later in the game that makes bursting orbs easier.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

If you have at least 2 blades in your party with the same element in different chars you can easily get the first orb. For example, fire-fire to burst a water orb. If you get the first orb, the second one will be guaranteed if you hit one orb with its weakness on the previous round. You can keep it going from there.

One aux core that helps tremendously here is element orb ender, since it will instantly burst any orb hit with the opposite element.

edit: geez, ultra beaten

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like I don't quite get bursting the orbs, because it doesn't seem to go left to right and instead looks for whatever orb is weak to the element you just used. I've gotten screwed over because of that (though I admit part of it was that I didn't have every element covered).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

I feel like I don't quite get bursting the orbs, because it doesn't seem to go left to right and instead looks for whatever orb is weak to the element you just used. I've gotten screwed over because of that (though I admit part of it was that I didn't have every element covered).

It seems to be either the weakness or totally random, unless you have the thing that prioritizes damaged orbs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nerdz posted:

It seems to be either the weakness or totally random, unless you have the thing that prioritizes damaged orbs.
This is correct, without that thing it's totally random unless you're hitting a weakness.

So you either have to have that thing, double up on a weakness-hitter to be absolutely sure, or only do a chain attack when you have super story mode thing active.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does that orb priority aux core only work on the blade that has it equipped (only their attacks will prioritize damaged orbs) or does it give it to all 9 of your blades

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Momomo posted:

nerdz posted:

The in game tutorial tells you both of these bits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regarding a mid-game boss: Thank you cutscene, for confirming the proper way to beat the Phantasm is to just kill so many of them you win instead of doing something strategic.

Also, laffo they cover the face of Addam in every scene very carefully except for the full on face in the hologram that Pyrah shows off which doesn't seem intentional at all.

Edit: Regarding a mid-game character change NIA WHERE ARE YOUR PANTS?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 29, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please remember spoiler tags

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just finished Chapter 6.

I actually found it hilarious how utterly godly they made Jin be in this encounter. Like, it couldn't have been enough that Jin was just a more experienced and seasoned fighter than Rex, whom still couldn't really use Pyra/Mythra to her full potential. But they had to go full Bleach and have him "control all elemental particles," stop orbital lasers, and "move faster than light speed." Now all I can think of going into Chapter 7 is "whatever they're going to do to have Rex match this poo poo to write themselves out of a corner, it's going to be loving dumb.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

IcePhoenix posted:

The in game tutorial tells you both of these bits.

If there's one thing I learned from watching people play BotW blind on Twitch, it's that reading is for losers. Now if only I had some way of knowing what I'm supposed to do for this mechanic/quest.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

At least they kept her vagina bones

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

She is expressing her true self in public, and you should respect that! :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is putting both Zenobia and Roc on Rex a bad idea?

I just want a good way to launch with him.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I have two legendary tank blades on Rex from common cores and burned a blade swap not knowing what it would do it that they are rare. I read Rex has some nifty trick with rare blades? Did I screw myself? I'm around level 20 and some new attacker join my party so should be using him instead?

Also I feel like I'm loving up if I don't use blades that get modifed by my highest stat. Is mixing Dex and str blades a terrible idea or shouldi just wear accessories to even out my stat scores?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

voltcatfish posted:

Meh, not the worst idea - I didn't usually end up having them both equipped at once but I definitely went back and forth between the two of them throughout the later bits of the game.

Ideally you have Zenobia on Five and then switch accordingly but you know.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i have like eight overdrives sitting in my inventory right now that i never used because i "might need them later" and now all the postgame bosses are dead and they're still sitting there uselessly

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

voltcatfish posted:

I'd say it's a bad idea but only because they're both wind elements and I want coverage.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

i have like eight overdrives sitting in my inventory right now that i never used because i "might need them later" and now all the postgame bosses are dead and they're still sitting there uselessly

Sounds about right. Still haven't used one:

Edit: altered the screenshot

Invenerable fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 29, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

voltcatfish posted:

If you want an alternate Wind-element Blade I suggest Boreas.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Invenerable posted:

Sounds about right. Still haven't used one:

not that people would probably notice without squinting at it but there's a pretty big spoiler in there re: rex's goku button. she's mostly artfully covered by the UI, which would be really impressive if you did it on purpose

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reiterpallasch posted:

not that people would probably notice without squinting at it but there's a pretty big spoiler in there re: rex's goku button

Also Rex's fancy new armor.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
honestly, though, they should really just let you freely swap blades in the postgame once you max out their affinity chart or something, a lot of the the fun of this game is playing around with colossally stupid party ideas and trying to make them work

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

not that people would probably notice without squinting at it but there's a pretty big spoiler in there re: rex's goku button. she's mostly artfully covered by the UI, which would be really impressive if you did it on purpose

Fixed. Sorry. :ohdear:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I should probably progress in the main story because I actually like it. I got distracted doing quests and killing poo poo for quite a while and now I'm level 50 with everyone

Kinda curious how much main plot that'll break (still in Ch 5).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't like the idea of keeping each character segregated by a specific role, so I haven't bothered using Overdrives at all. I also got lucky and Nia ended up getting most of the healers, but she's also gotten the only unique tank blades I've rolled. My fourth keeps getting all the attackers, and my fifth is kind of a wild card.

Also (minor lategame spoilers) ...Did Tora go the entire game thinking Morag was a man?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Momomo posted:

Also (minor lategame spoilers) ...Did Tora go the entire game thinking Morag was a man?
Well, yes and no, in that it is made clear whenever you do the Heart-to-Heart in the hot springs in Mor Ardain. But yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Someone on GameFAQs has said that Rare/Legendary cores don't increase the chance to get a rare blade. They just make it more likely you'll get better commons. This feels true to my experience as I've got my best commons from rare cores but I've never had a rare blade from one.

I've just done Chapter Seven and yea why the gently caress does it take Nia's clothes off? God the character design in this is seriously over the top. I don't want to see Nia's bum - she's 14!

It's really getting to me how many side quests suddenly force you to do Merc Missions. I don't want to sit around for 40 minutes while a mission completes! I ended up with 3 sidequests that all required Merc Missions and had to carry on the main quest which I wasn't really ready to do yet.

I need some help triggering 3 sidequests. Gorg, Dahlia and Wulfric to be specific. They all want me in character Five's home area. Dahlia's just tells me to go to the town square, Wulfric to the temple ruins and Gorg to the inn. But nothing happens!
There's no ?, there's no Heart to Heart. There's just nothing. What do I do? Do I need the development higher? I can see a ? on an island I can't reach, is that for Wulfric?
I spend so much of my time in this game just wandering because there are no guides to work stuff out and I hate how much of my time is wasted. When you've only got two hours to play and an hour and a half of that is wondering where to go, it's just wearing me down.

In a similar vein where the hell do I go for the first step of Writing On The Wall? I can't find the cave that I'm meant to go to. Bring back that nopon ball from XCX, seriously.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything that says "go to the inn" means take a rest there.

Speaking of which, it's really confusing why they even put in the Long Rest and shifting cloudsea level. Gormotti is the only Titan to use that mechanic and it seems like an awful lot of work for almost no payoff.

Then again that's kind of this games nom di rigeur.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PJOmega posted:

Anything that says "go to the inn" means take a rest there.

Speaking of which, it's really confusing why they even put in the Long Rest and shifting cloudsea level. Gormotti is the only Titan to use that mechanic and it seems like an awful lot of work for almost no payoff.

Then again that's kind of this games nom di rigeur.

Mor Ardain uses it and no, there's a heart to heart it says I need to look at. I've tried resting there but it didn't give me anything. Unless maybe I have to rest there a second time? I did trigger a cutscene but it wasn't related.

There was a quest in Gormott about a beached titan that required me to raise the sea level but of course it didn't tell me I needed to, I'm so glad I could google it because I'd never even have considered it. I'd have just wandered around, maybe tried salvaging just to see what happened.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Taear posted:

Mor Ardain uses it and no, there's a heart to heart it says I need to look at. I've tried resting there but it didn't give me anything. Unless maybe I have to rest there a second time? I did trigger a cutscene but it wasn't related.

Huh, that it does. Had to boot it up and checj. I don't think I've interacted with MA's cloud tide at all and I'm on chapter 8.

Go ahead and rest at the inn another time. Multiple events can be tied to a single inn and they'll fire once per rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

In a similar vein where the hell do I go for the first step of Writing On The Wall? I can't find the cave that I'm meant to go to. Bring back that nopon ball from XCX, seriously.

Go south of where the quest tells you to be, down to the little valley running east-to-west. Drop down into it, you'll see one of those bioluminescent plants on the wall marking a way inside. Follow that up and around through the tree bridge.