Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Logitech sells a Mac layout full-size Bluetooth keyboard IIRC but the good Logitech keyboards cost nearly as much as an Apple magic keyboard (which, IMO, isn't that good of a keyboard).

I love this keyboard (it's the K811 btw). The charge lasts forever, and you can pair it with 3 different devices. $55-80 at Amazon depending on seller.

There's also the K380 which has both iOS/MacOS/Android symbols. You can pair 3 devices but this one takes batteries (lasts 2 years and comes with one). Multiple color options around $25-30.

If you want full keyboard with keypad, Logitech has a non-bluetooth wireless with Mac symbols that is solar powered for $57.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

I love this keyboard (it's the K811 btw). The charge lasts forever, and you can pair it with 3 different devices. $55-80 at Amazon depending on seller.
I highly recommend this keyboard too. Use it with my iPad Pro and iMac. It works great and the fast device switching is perfect.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'm definitely getting one of those trackpads (after over a decade of mac laptops moving to a mouse would be too weird) and I'll look into those keyboards to see what'd work best for my situation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just have the Anker Keyboard, it was like $20 and other than one or two weird things it suits me good.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Is there any reason why the keys are switched in mac vs windows? wondering if there was any reason or if it is just a case of "it just is"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

nervana posted:

Is there any reason why the keys are switched in mac vs windows? wondering if there was any reason or if it is just a case of "it just is"

Completely separate parallel paths of evolution.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
DOS machines in US Englishonly had Ctrl, a gap, and then Alt. The Windows key and the Context key was a 1995-era addition. "Alt" didn't behave like option in GUI apps, both Ctrl and Alt would (at times) behave like Command (and now WIn does too). In DOS programs, they could be whatever the programmer wanted them to be. The mod keys had no real consistency baked into them on the DOS/Windows side, whereas the modifier keys on the Mac took the Apple IIc layout and actually put some thought into how mod keys would work. Option was a different Shift, Command was "do something," and Ctrl didn't even exist on original Mac keyboards, It only came around on the later extended keyboards in the Mac II era and was relegated to a third-class modifier and was mostly for compatibility when using terminals.

Other OEMs at the time with their own keyboard layouts had their own meta/mod key layouts too.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 25, 2017

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
This morning my unopened box of microwave curry from Trader Joes leaked for some reason and it got all over my brand new MBP adapter and charging cord (the usb-c one). Fortunately my MBP was in a separate compartment. I wiped down the adapter and I want to say there wasn't enough liquid to go into the adapter, but I really can't say for sure. I really don't want to mess up my MBP on a guess, so can I take it into Apple Store and have them check out the adapter? Is the adapter sealed very well? I am going to go into Trader Joes soon and tell them what happened, maybe they can for a new adapter :smith:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

You put a liquid containing package in the same bag as your very expensive laptop? (Separate compartment or not)

I’m pretty sure I know what Trader Joe’s is going to say...

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

SourKraut posted:

You put a liquid containing package in the same bag as your very expensive laptop? (Separate compartment or not)

I’m pretty sure I know what Trader Joe’s is going to say...

It is a sealed product in a box, unopened. Am I going to sound as dumb as you make it sound when I walk in and ask for some $$$

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't count on a free charger, but you might get a free curry.

If it's really brand new and you feel uncertain whether it works properly now, I'd just return it to Apple.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

brap posted:

I wouldn't count on a free charger, but you might get a free curry.

If it's really brand new and you feel uncertain whether it works properly now, I'd just return it to Apple.

If the charger is damaged, can it damage my MBP? I am going to assume the answer is yes, but I am going to the Apple Store now anyways. I have filed a report with TJ already. #prayforme

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nervana posted:

If the charger is damaged, can it damage my MBP? I am going to assume the answer is yes, but I am going to the Apple Store now anyways. I have filed a report with TJ already. #prayforme

I would go for yes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Proteus Jones posted:

There's also the K380 which has both iOS/MacOS/Android symbols. You can pair 3 devices but this one takes batteries (lasts 2 years and comes with one). Multiple color options around $25-30.

If you want full keyboard with keypad, Logitech has a non-bluetooth wireless with Mac symbols that is solar powered for $57.

Here's a recommendation for the K750 Mac version. Wireless and solar. I use a PC one at work, and a Mac one at home. Now and then before I go to work I leave it by the window to charge up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nervana posted:

This morning my unopened box of microwave curry from Trader Joes leaked for some reason and it got all over my brand new MBP adapter and charging cord (the usb-c one). Fortunately my MBP was in a separate compartment. I wiped down the adapter and I want to say there wasn't enough liquid to go into the adapter, but I really can't say for sure. I really don't want to mess up my MBP on a guess, so can I take it into Apple Store and have them check out the adapter? Is the adapter sealed very well? I am going to go into Trader Joes soon and tell them what happened, maybe they can for a new adapter :smith:

What? Trader Joe's will give you a replacement curry maybe.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

nervana posted:

Was the charger plugged in? If not... let it dry out and it’s very likely just fine. Even if it were plugged in. Probably fine.

Sounds like you’re turning this into a fiasco when it’s really just some drippy curry.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

Was the charger plugged in? If not... let it dry out and it’s very likely just fine. Even if it were plugged in. Probably fine.

Sounds like you’re turning this into a fiasco when it’s really just some drippy curry.

Fiasco report: ongoing.

Got a free replacement curry. Apple store is currently swamped so I will have to try a walk in tomorrow morning.

Will the 87 watt charge my 13 inch MBP noticeably faster than a 61 watt one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

[quote="nervana" post=""47968322"]
[/quote]

Only one way to find out. I always have a bunch of random macs so I'm always charging one with the other.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

nervana posted:

Got a free replacement curry. Apple store is currently swamped so I will have to try a walk in tomorrow morning.

The adapter is sealed with insanely strong adhesive and to get into the adapter you have to use a razor and cut along the entire seam and then pry the adhesive apart with a screwdriver, I have spilled entire bottles of water on my charger while it was plugged in and it was fine. Quit being a weirdo about this.

Apr 7, 2003

What flavor curry was it?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Pivo posted:

The adapter is sealed with insanely strong adhesive and to get into the adapter you have to use a razor and cut along the entire seam and then pry the adhesive apart with a screwdriver, I have spilled entire bottles of water on my charger while it was plugged in and it was fine. Quit being a weirdo about this.

I hope you are right. I asked about the sealing in my original post. I am going to guess it's probably fine, but just going to check it out tomorrow just in case.

*edit: https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/korma-fish-curry

Apr 7, 2003

Nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nervana posted:

A) It's fine. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth.

B ) I don't know if it will charge it faster. The draw is controlled by the thing being charged. It won't damage your battery, that's for sure. I use the 87 watt charger on a 2015 13" rMBP all the time.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I’m like 95% sure it won’t charge faster.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

What's this? Is Trader Joes giving out 85W Magsafe adapters with a curry purchase? I like curry, and I'd love to have a spare adapter for traveling.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

nervana posted:

It is a sealed product in a box, unopened. Am I going to sound as dumb as you make it sound when I walk in and ask for some $$$

oh yeah you bet you are. not as dumb as you looked buying a microwave curry for one at christmas tho

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 27, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Generic Monk posted:

oh yeah you bet you are. not as dumb as you looked buying a microwave curry for one at christmas tho

:drat:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

Kickin' the poor guy while he's down. Sheesh!

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Ouch. And anyways Apple Store appointment consisted of plugging the adapter into one of their macbook pros, and her going "yay it works" so hurray for Genius Bar. She also told me if something really does go wrong and the macbook gets damaged, it will be covered under apple care, but not the adapter (obviously). Does this sound right?

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I just got done tearing apart my iMac (late 2013 27”)to add an SSD in addition to the internal PCI-E drive since the new OS High Sierra refuses to install on it.

The OWC kit doesn’t include a loving power/SATA cable and those fuckwits at Apple used a custom pin and header for the SATA power supply. Now I get to wait for a $30 SATA cable to ship and arrive with a bunch of iMac guts sitting all over my work area :suicide:

On the plus side, at least now I know never to get an AIO ever again. My god I’m an idiot.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nervana posted:

Ouch. And anyways Apple Store appointment consisted of plugging the adapter into one of their macbook pros, and her going "yay it works" so hurray for Genius Bar. She also told me if something really does go wrong and the macbook gets damaged, it will be covered under apple care, but not the adapter (obviously). Does this sound right?

yes. you're fine, your new macbook is fine, and the adapter is fine...though it might smell like curry for a bit :)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

freezepops posted:

On the plus side, at least now I know never to get an AIO ever again. My god I’m an idiot.

I wish there was a decent desktop Mac that wasn’t an AIO.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a pain in the rear end that Apple thinks they're above just putting some high-end consumer hardware in a box and shipping it. Seems like there was nothing wrong with the pre-2013 Mac Pro design-wise.

Hell, I wish Apple had a powerful laptop with up to date hardware that wasn't plagued by one of those stupid loving touch bars. Every developer at my office who uses a Mac is sticking with their 2015 models.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Evis posted:

I wish there was a decent desktop Mac that wasn’t an AIO.
:same:
I originally bought the iMac as a hold over until the Mac Pro line was updated because I didn’t want to pay such large amounts for hardware that was a couple years old. Then the trash can came out...

eames
May 9, 2009

OWC posted a iMac Pro teardown video, tamperproof stickers everywhere, socket doesn't have a retention mechanism (CPU is held down by the cooler). Good luck repasting that when the TIM fails after two years. :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoZl1Fb0hg

I do wonder if the CPU has a heat-spreader, probably not.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

brap posted:

It's a pain in the rear end that Apple thinks they're above just putting some high-end consumer hardware in a box and shipping it. Seems like there was nothing wrong with the pre-2013 Mac Pro design-wise.

Hell, I wish Apple had a powerful laptop with up to date hardware that wasn't plagued by one of those stupid loving touch bars. Every developer at my office who uses a Mac is sticking with their 2015 models.

Don’t they sell non-touchbar models of the latest MBPs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skull mask mcgee posted:

Don’t they sell non-touchbar models of the latest MBPs?

Just the 13" model with only 2 TB ports and 15w CPU and slightly weaker GPU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

brap posted:

It's a pain in the rear end that Apple now thinks they're above just putting some high-end consumer hardware in a box and shipping it.

Hit the nail on the head with the addition of one word. :woz:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

better a soiled charger than soiled underwear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
what's the issue with the touchbars?