Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sextro posted:

He responded to a text finally. Apparently he managed to cash out of some bitcoins or something and the transaction cleared just before 5.

The future is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please don’t bitcoin. I’m starting to think a cautionary/moralizing anti-bitcoin bot could post once a day in every forum and theirposts would never trigger reports.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 29, 2017

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You mean divabot
Shill divabots book in every forum
Yospos it up

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So our minium wage here in the province of Ontario is going up to $14/hr as of Jan. 1, 2018, and a local fancy restauranteur tweeted:

1000000% for the rise in minimum wage. Just the start. BTW, our prices are going up. Thank you for supporting our employees. #bestguests

I'm not in the restaurant industry, but this just seems like "hey bud why didn't you pay them what you thought they were worth before?" But then I remember the title of this thread and I'm like "oh yeah"

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

So our minium wage here in the province of Ontario is going up to $14/hr as of Jan. 1, 2018, and a local fancy restauranteur tweeted:

1000000% for the rise in minimum wage. Just the start. BTW, our prices are going up. Thank you for supporting our employees. #bestguests

I'm not in the restaurant industry, but this just seems like "hey bud why didn't you pay them what you thought they were worth before?" But then I remember the title of this thread and I'm like "oh yeah"

I'm not sure if the market situation is the same here (college town, USA) as it is there, but a big issue depressing prices, and thus wages, around here is an oversaturation of restaurants that are either failing within 6 months of opening, getting by on razor thin margins, or making ends meet by cutting corners and costs as much as possible. The diner I work at now pays really well for the area, but we definitely get complaints about how high our prices are for "just a diner", and "how dare we charge $9 for a burger" because the lovely diner three blocks away charges $7 (for a frozen burger that's smaller). Why, they just could go to Applebee's and get two meals and an appetizer for $20 (pay no attention to the $5 Bud Light).

Action George fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 29, 2017

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Right. This restaurant is in a university town with 2 big universities and 1 major college (Canada) but a huge tech sector also with many very high paying jobs (Google has an office, among many other big names). I'm just curious as to how that'll all play out.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

Right. This restaurant is in a university town with 2 big universities and 1 major college (Canada) but a huge tech sector also with many very high paying jobs (Google has an office, among many other big names). I'm just curious as to how that'll all play out.

Hi Ontario friend. I saw that tweet too (I live in the same city as that restaurant), and though I haven't ever worked at that particular place, I can almost guarantee the reason they weren't paying their staff more before is that people already complain about the prices there, and in general people do not want to pay what food is worth. The food there especially is incredibly prep heavy because what they do and how well they do it.

I'm curious how it's going to play out too, especially seeing as how I'm the exec chef for a couple of properties here, but I can guarantee that as far as the "higher end" independently owned places around here go, we're paying our staff as much as we can with what people around here are willing to pay for food. I know I get occasional complaints about pricing at my downtown restaurant, and we're priced pretty drat low for the ingredients I use.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Co-worker came in today very excited about the new 2018 Jeep he was about to buy since he was moving back in with his mom and didn't need to pay rent anymore. Only 11% APR!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Did he buy it with a credit card?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Did he buy it with a credit card?

It wouldn't surprise me if APRs were that high these days for people with poo poo credit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

APRs on a credit card with good credit is still like 14%

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I told him he should look into co-signing with his mom if she has good credit since he has no credit history. He figured he could pay off the car in a year and a half to avoid paying too much interest and I had to tell him there are usually additional fees for trying to do that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Nah you can get down in the single digits. 2 of my cards are 7.9 and the rest are 11.9 except one. But I never use that one except when buying airline tickets.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
My card is like 7% but my dad co-signed so that certainly did something

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lots of goons in this thread in the same Ontario city.

As for the minimum wage increase, I'd imagine it's gonna play out with layoffs, and a lot of pissed off minimum wage worker having to work twice as hard with the bosses going "Not my fault." :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The General posted:

As for the minimum wage increase, I'd imagine it's gonna play out with layoffs, and a lot of pissed off minimum wage worker having to work twice as hard with the bosses going "Not my fault." :shrug:

That's not what happened in Seattle, Oakland or SF.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I make no claims about being correct in my imaginations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's not what happened in Seattle, Oakland or SF.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/seattles-minimum-wage-hike-may-have-gone-too-far/

Seattle isn't really clear cut on whether it actually worked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not an economist or particularly well versed in reading scientific studies and analysis, but that was written shortly after the UW study came out and I remember there being a lot of criticism of the UW study in the weeks after.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm still rocking 1% on the same card I got in college. I'm sure it's an oversight on someone's part.

In other news, we're losing our test kitchen for a week or two because the place next door had some catastrophic water failure. 90ish cooks all getting free paid vacation. And if the fire Marshall stops being a giant dick, I can at least begin to move into my kitchen. We're using the ballroom to stage our deliveries, so there's no carpet. He won't let us unpack and whatnot until that whole floor is complete. So now it is, except for the carpet in the ballroom because it's full of pllets of glassware, housekeeping stuff, rooms stuff, etc. So I can't unpack because the floor isn't done, and I can't get the floor done because I can't unpack, so we had to go directly to the city, and now we wait for a code inspector to go over his head and give us access.

loving power tripping authority figures, Jesus Christ. Dude even threatened to cite me for asking why we can't cater food and eat it in the totally finished cafeteria that is a PPE free area.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The General posted:

Those layoffs will have to coincide with restaurants closing. They are already running with the minimum staff required to complete service anyway, because that is how kitchen labor is managed.

The only places running with extra hands are counting on stagiers to make their labor intensive menus work without paying for the extra hands.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

VERTiG0 posted:

Seize the means of production, collectivize the restaurant.

Seriously, this is why people without business degrees running labor and capital-intensive businesses should shut the gently caress up and let PR do their job. Don’t address your guests with sarcasm on the goddamn internet. I hope this putz gets yelped into bankruptcy.

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 31, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

Those layoffs will have to coincide with restaurants closing. They are already running with the minimum staff required to complete service anyway, because that is how kitchen labor is managed.

The only places running with extra hands are counting on stagiers to make their labor intensive menus work without paying for the extra hands.

You can have a labor intensive menu as long as you can run a low food cost to offset the labor. Also having a bar attached helps. Actually, be a bar that serves nice food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You can have a labor intensive menu as long as you can run a low food cost to offset the labor. Also having a bar attached helps. Actually, be a bar that serves nice food.

Yeah. Alcohol sales are golden for propping up a kitchen that can't hit food cost.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
The holiday season is over, and i have three straight days off. It is glorious.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Every restaurant in my small Northern Ontario city is freaking out and aren't sure how to go forward with labour costs.

People normally paid $14 before wage increase expect $16. Its a glorious poo poo show.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

Seriously, this is why people without business degrees running labor and capital-intensive businesses should shut the gently caress up and let PR do their job. Don’t address your guests with sarcasm on the goddamn internet. I hope this putz gets yelped into bankruptcy.

Where do you get this idea that business degrees are valuable?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bloody ghost titty posted:

Where are you seeing sarcasm?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

so weird thing i’ve noticed in the last couple months—we’ve been getting a *lot* more folks paying with hundos and fifties. we didn’t have this kind of spike the last couple holiday seasons but I can’t figure out what the cause could be. usually I’d bundle up hundreds of 20s to go to the bank to get traded for smaller bills, sending off a hundo maybe every couple of weeks, but lately they account for at least 40% of the bills we trade in for change.

i’ve been counterfeit checking them all so I’m assuming we’re not being used for some kind of laundering thing, but dang if it isn’t weird.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah, yo, hold on. I'm also getting big bills more often recently. Fortunately, I also get a lot of small change, so it usually balances out at then end. What's up with that?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, yo, hold on. I'm also getting big bills more often recently. Fortunately, I also get a lot of small change, so it usually balances out at then end. What's up with that?

ATMs started giving out 50s and hundos.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lots of places use 50s and 100s for holiday bonuses :shrug:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

it's probably the atm thing, this was the third holiday season i've been handling the safe and the first time i've seen so many of the big bills.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Trump’s tax cuts are really paying off! 💰 💰 💰:homebrew:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

good news: holy poo poo I have 2 consecutive days off (wed & thur) for the first time in idk how long
bad news: guy gets 86'd, I agree to cover his Thurs
good news: I got bills to pay, and need the hours
bad news: I start feeling sick during tues shift, gets worse as the day progresses. My hair hurts, y'know?
good news: but I have wednesday off!
bad news: I waste a precious day off on the couch, eating canned soup, watching dumb youtube videos, and blowing my nose in between moans of how much my 43 year old joints ache when I'm running a fever
good news: actually got 8 hours of sleep and my fever broke, I get up at 0330 am Thurs and my nose is running like a dripping faucet, but yeah, I can schlog thru this
bad... wait... good news? : boss txts me at 3:45 saying we've been slow this week and I wasn't originally s'posed to be scheduled and they need to cut labor, "so stay home and enjoy your day off!"

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "enjoying" my inadvertently reclaimed day off, but lets all light a candle to St Lorenzo for this small miracle of timing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

good news: holy poo poo I have 2 consecutive days off (wed & thur) for the first time in idk how long
bad news: guy gets 86'd, I agree to cover his Thurs
good news: I got bills to pay, and need the hours
bad news: I start feeling sick during tues shift, gets worse as the day progresses. My hair hurts, y'know?
good news: but I have wednesday off!
bad news: I waste a precious day off on the couch, eating canned soup, watching dumb youtube videos, and blowing my nose in between moans of how much my 43 year old joints ache when I'm running a fever
good news: actually got 8 hours of sleep and my fever broke, I get up at 0330 am Thurs and my nose is running like a dripping faucet, but yeah, I can schlog thru this
bad... wait... good news? : boss txts me at 3:45 saying we've been slow this week and I wasn't originally s'posed to be scheduled and they need to cut labor, "so stay home and enjoy your day off!"

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm "enjoying" my inadvertently reclaimed day off, but lets all light a candle to St Lorenzo for this small miracle of timing.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, sad for your paycheck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Welp in three hours of dinner service I did a thousand dollars in table sales.

Get em.

The other two servers did less than half that combined.

Weird night.

Edit: and then one hundred in the three hours after. Weird as gently caress post Christmas

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 5, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mezzanon posted:

Weird as gently caress post Christmas

That's been us last/this week. Last week, between Xmas and New Years, we were understaffed and absolutely slammed, I guess 'cause kids were out of school, and we're a breakfast place, so we got hammered between 9am- 1pm close.

We were open New Years Day for the first time in this store's 2 year history, and my KM kept saying "oh, we'll be dead" (based on what? we've never been open NYD) so she scheduled thin and left before we even opened at 8. Then the four of us left behind had our asses absolutely handed to us, line out the door from about 10 to close as everyone in the city woke up and decided to nurse their hangover with us. So from Tuesday on, she schedules a ton of people and then has been cutting like mad because now everyone's back to normal, and we're in that bomb snow cyclone whatever thing, so it's been negative a jillion degrees out, and no one's coming in.

I've only lived in this area for a year, and been at this place since late October, but so far my batting average with guessing how turnout is gonna be is way better than my KM's, who's a native with years of industry under her belt. Kinda frustrating.

edit: on a more amusing note: our walk-in is an outdoor unit, shared with our sister store next door. It's really, really weird to go outside, then in there to grab something, and think "oh, mmm, it's nice and warm in here." Even the freezer half is 20 degrees warmer than outside. Fuckin bizarre.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 5, 2018

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
First week of January is worse than lent for trying to upsell desserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Upsell healthy poo poo.