Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's a pretty cool trick actually. Taste good?

This post both raises and answers questions for me.

I pretty much just make drop cookies and have always used a scoop where I can. It’s quick and uniform. I always get comments about how nice my cookies look and how similar they are, etc.

I never understood that, but this post makes me realize that maybe people don’t use scoops as often as I thought they did. It also explains why a lot of the cookies posted in this thread might not be uniform etc.

So, who uses a scoop and why or why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I just never grew up with one so I never bothered to get my own. I've considered it, though. What size scoop did you use?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I usually drop a chunk of dough on my scale then ball and flatten sightly, but I like thick-rear end dough that's refrigerated overnight

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I made this, but with mint + chocolate chips. Absolutely amazing. The dough is like a stiffer brownie batter, so you get this great fudgy-chewy texture and a tremendously deep chocolate flavor. I used Guittard dutch process cocoa. I brought some in to work, and my coworkers are all talking about how amazing they are. A+ recipe.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I made this, but with mint + chocolate chips. Absolutely amazing. The dough is like a stiffer brownie batter, so you get this great fudgy-chewy texture and a tremendously deep chocolate flavor. I used Guittard dutch process cocoa. I brought some in to work, and my coworkers are all talking about how amazing they are. A+ recipe.

Well that does it. I'm going to try that but with cinnamon chips (I really don't like mint and chocolate together.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Well that does it. I'm going to try that but with cinnamon chips (I really don't like mint and chocolate together.)

I was thinking of doing them again, but with butterscotch chips. Where do you get cinnamon chips?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I was thinking of doing them again, but with butterscotch chips. Where do you get cinnamon chips?

I know they're a thing, but I have no idea where they're sold. I don't mind looking through a few different grocery stores though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I know they're a thing, but I have no idea where they're sold. I don't mind looking through a few different grocery stores though.

Well, godspeed, and please report back with results.

One tip: cream the poo poo out of the butter. Generally do that for any cookie, but especially these. I went 30 minutes at max speed in an Ankarsrum stand mixer (roughly equivalent to 30 minutes in a KitchenAid at 3/4 speed, I'd guess, based on having creamed butter/sugar in my sister's KA and in my own Ankarsrum).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A christmas cookie plate I threw together, with my chocolate cookies dipped in white mint chocolate w/candy cane bits, chocolate cookies with caramel m&ms, peppermint bark, and some covered pecans.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's a pretty cool trick actually. Taste good?

They were okay. My usual chocolate chip recipe is the way-too-effortful-at-9pm Serious Eats one, so I just grabbed a random internet one for a small batch. I creamed the crap out of the butter and sugar and probably let it run a little long with the egg in there too. I may try to reproduce it, cookie domes kinda grew on me.

I used a large/3Tbsp/#20 scoop because I like big rear end cookies. I didn't grow up ever using one but when I got more into baking I got a little tired of really disproportionate cookies. I also track my calories, so being able to say 'this recipe makes x # of cookies" and know they're uniform enough for those purposes is really helpful. Not that I've lost weight or anything, because there's a serious flaw in my diet and it is butter cookies.

I've also used it for muffin batter for the same reasons, it's really handy and I don't slop batter around as much.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yo, is 300 degrees not a typo? The length of bake time lines up w such a low temp, but at the same time, 300 is soooo low. I’ve never seen a temp that low for cookies. Hope you see this soon as I’m gonna try tonight.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yo, is 300 degrees not a typo? The length of bake time lines up w such a low temp, but at the same time, 300 is soooo low. I’ve never seen a temp that low for cookies. Hope you see this soon as I’m gonna try tonight.

If that’s the correct temp my guess is that’s to minimize browning and the recipe compensates for that.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
300 is correct! Also, if anyone finds out where to buy cinnamon chips, let me know because everyone around here stopped carrying them and what else am I going to put in my scones?? :ohdear:

I haven't baked any cookies lately, but that's going to change once I get out of my holiday stupor because...

...I got a late Christmas present in the mail yesterday!! :v:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

300 is correct! Also, if anyone finds out where to buy cinnamon chips, let me know because everyone around here stopped carrying them and what else am I going to put in my scones?? :ohdear:

I haven't baked any cookies lately, but that's going to change once I get out of my holiday stupor because...

...I got a late Christmas present in the mail yesterday!! :v:

YES! I need to get back on track of working through it one recipe a week or so, but it’s gorgeous and so fun to paw through and window shop and plan. I browned butter for the first time to make their chocolate chip cookie recipe.

It’s an expensive buy-in but would you, or any poster, want to do like a book club except it’s making a recipe each week from the book? Think Great British Bake-Off rather than ICSA. Share our pics and stories of the process, etc. I’m trying to motivate myself to bake more and just be on top of things better. I need a gym buddy, but less sweat and weights, more indulgent cookie baking and encouragement/accountability.

Thoughts Goons?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boywhiz88 posted:

YES! I need to get back on track of working through it one recipe a week or so, but it’s gorgeous and so fun to paw through and window shop and plan. I browned butter for the first time to make their chocolate chip cookie recipe.

It’s an expensive buy-in but would you, or any poster, want to do like a book club except it’s making a recipe each week from the book? Think Great British Bake-Off rather than ICSA. Share our pics and stories of the process, etc. I’m trying to motivate myself to bake more and just be on top of things better. I need a gym buddy, but less sweat and weights, more indulgent cookie baking and encouragement/accountability.

Thoughts Goons?

I'd be down for that!

Speaking of browned butter recipes, here's one I liked from a while ago but haven't gotten it together to make again lately. It's a bit high effort but the results are super worth it!

Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter and Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Oh and the cookies came out great. I’ll prolly put in another half teaspoon of peppermint extract, and maybe up the Andes Mint quantity.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, godspeed, and please report back with results.

One tip: cream the poo poo out of the butter. Generally do that for any cookie, but especially these. I went 30 minutes at max speed in an Ankarsrum stand mixer (roughly equivalent to 30 minutes in a KitchenAid at 3/4 speed, I'd guess, based on having creamed butter/sugar in my sister's KA and in my own Ankarsrum).

They had everything (even s'mores for god's sake). There aren't a lot of great options online either. nuts.com had some, but that means dealing with shipping. I might give these a try.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

They had everything (even s'mores for god's sake). There aren't a lot of great options online either. nuts.com had some, but that means dealing with shipping. I might give these a try.

Sub cocoa powder for PB2 and sub mint chips for cinnamon chips. Peanut butter cinnamon cookies.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

I am not a piping prodigy.

Citrus cookies, candied orange peel on top. There's like one passable cookie. :stare:

Tasty tho.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Saw some peppermint white chocolate m&ms on clearance and knew exactly what must be done.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the COOKING CHALLENGE - Culturally Ignorant Cuisine thread. A thread where people are given a name of a dish and try to guess the recipe. Or try to turn a goons name into a recipe.

----

COOKING CHALLENGE: Bollocks Monkey
INTERPRETATION: Nutty, spicy cookies.

The past few days have been long and rough. So much so that I decided to confiscate my mom's kitchen while she was in the hospital. And do my laundry since my apartment blocks washers and dryers are on the fritz pretty often.

I used a generic “Mexican” chocolate cookie as a template, one that didn't actually use any Mexican chocolate. That could not stand! My Mexican chocolate cookie would use over 90% Mexican chocolate even if that meant googling how to melt blocks of Mexican chocolate!

Instead of getting a nice, thick, dense cookie from the generic recipe I got a cookie that spread thin and melted in the mouth. I don’t know if the chocolate substitution was that big a deal or if I forgot another ingredient along the way.

I know this cookie can be improved, I’m just not sure how right now. Unfortunately, the photos can’t be improved.

Bollocks Monkey ingredients and recipe posted:

1st set of ingredients: Chocolate
1 brick of Mexican hot chocolate like Abuelita’s
(Makes 1/4th a cup of hot chocolate powder after it’s hit with a hammer repeatedly. A much more efficient, effective, and satisfying experience than buying and using a micro-grater)
2 tablespoons worth of milk chocolate.
1 stick unsweetened butter (8 tbsp)

2 set of ingredients: Flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (I forgot to add this)

3rd set of ingredients: Sugar
½ cup of packed light brown sugar (I almost added 1 cup by accident, so I eyeballed half of that.)
¼ cup of sugar (Eyeballed this too)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Optional ingredients for an authentic bollock of a monkey:
6(?) tablespoons of coarsely chopped and roasted almonds. (I only used three tablespoons and that wound up not being enough.)
Those big grains of sugar to simulate lice (did not attempt, too unsure of the texture)
Chocolate sprinkles to simulate hair (did not attempt, too cheap to buy them)
White chocolate drizzle to simulate bollock juice (did not attempt, too tired)

Part 0: Prep

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, or get out your pizzelle maker.

Part 1: Chocolate

Put the Mexican hot chocolate brick into a few plastic bags and wack a hammer against it until it’s mostly powdered.

Melt the powder and 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate wafers together in a double boiler or a microwave, stirring frequently

If you're nuking the chocolate, nuke it for 15-30 seconds at a time, stir, and nuke it again until you get the desired results.

The chocolate is melted enough when it easily drops off a fork.

Then add a stick of butter to the chocolate, stirring it until the butter is completely melted.

Put to the side and let it cool.

Part 2: Flour

Sift the flour, chili powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.

If you don’t have a sifter then hope that your idea to improvise with a slotted spoon works.

Put it to the side.

Part 3: Sugar

Add brown sugar, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs to a large bowl, beat on slow until well blended.

(I forgot to take a pic)

Part 4: Blending

Pour the melted chocolate into the sugar batter and blend them well.

(forgot to take a pic here too)

Then add the flour to the combined batter. Blend together on low until all the flour is gone.

Then add the toasted almonds.

Part 5: Baking

Chill the batter half an hour in a fridge.

Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet using a cookie dough scooper. One cookie dough scoops worth of batter will expand to the size of a CD, so plan accordingly.

Then bake the cookies.

For a chewier cookie, bake for a total of 14 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 7 minute mark.

For a crispier cookie, bake for a total of 18 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 9 minute mark.

For a pizzelle maker, set yours to 3, add a cookie dough scopes worth of batter, and cook for 40-45 seconds.

If everything goes well you get copper colored pizzelles and big cookie disks.

Both types of cookie had a spicy, nutty taste to them that complemented the chocolate. And their thin nature gave the cookies a nice firm crunch. But the high amount of sugar and butter resulted in cookies that would melt in the mouth with every bite. The closest comparison that I can think of would be if someone turned cotton candy into a chocolate cookie.

The cookies seemed to taste the best as pizzelles. They had a light, crispy, airy quality that I never experienced in a cookie before. I honestly regret not being able to photograph the many air pockets that filled the pizzelles. With that said, getting the batter portions and the timing right is very difficult.

If you decide to bake them in an oven, try pairing the finished cookies with something like ice cream or cheesecake.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 11, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
First recipe from the ATK book- the chewy oatmeal raisin cookies!

These came out holy poo poo delicious, but the dough has a real tough time sticking together.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 14, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

How do you folks motivate yourselves to bake? I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies, but I’m tired, but I’m also not going to do anything if I don’t bake.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

How do you folks motivate yourselves to bake? I want to make oatmeal raisin cookies, but I’m tired, but I’m also not going to do anything if I don’t bake.

How delicious are cookies?

Right?

Well, get at it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boywhiz88 posted:

I, uh, got myself in a situation where my coworkers get mad if there aren't cookies so I kind of have to now.

That said, I'm balls tired and there are like two left of the brown sugar cookies I made and they will just have to deal.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I made the basic chocolate chip cookies from the ATK book and had to have hosed something up. They're not sweet enough at all and maybe too buttery I guess? I didn't brown the butter enough, so I'm sure that plays some part in it, but they just aren't right. I probably should have used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet too.

I obviously overcooked them a bit even though I barely left them in for the minimum recommended time. I guess I need to grab an oven thermometer to see if it's off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I make dough the night before, and then the next day I'm like oh hey I have dough!

Something about breaking it apart like that makes it more fun. Hope that helps!

Yours in cookies, B

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boywhiz88 posted:

I usually cook when I'm pissed off. So read the news for a half-hour or something and then go to town.

Up next: more persimmon cookies because persimmons are cheap af in Turkey and I can make them without pulling out the mixer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I make dough the night before, and then the next day I'm like oh hey I have dough!

Something about breaking it apart like that makes it more fun. Hope that helps!

Yours in cookies, B

Cookie dough also benefits greatly from a resting period in the cold.
If you want to get really lazy you can freeze the individual balls of dough and then always have ready to bake cookies available.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Cookie dough also benefits greatly from a resting period in the cold.
If you want to get really lazy you can freeze the individual balls of dough and then always have ready to bake cookies available.

I did that this holiday season, since I had like three parties each a week apart, and didn't want to make three batches of dough.

Turns out you can talk yourself into eating cookies quite often if all you have to do is preheat the oven.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

fknlo posted:

I made the basic chocolate chip cookies from the ATK book and had to have hosed something up. They're not sweet enough at all and maybe too buttery I guess? I didn't brown the butter enough, so I'm sure that plays some part in it, but they just aren't right. I probably should have used semisweet chocolate instead of bittersweet too.

I obviously overcooked them a bit even though I barely left them in for the minimum recommended time. I guess I need to grab an oven thermometer to see if it's off.

Definitely grab an oven thermometer; it's how I learned my oven takes a god damned hour to preheat.

Correcting your temperature will probably make a huge difference. I don't think not fully browning the butter is your issue here. Are you absolutely sure you got all the ingredients in, in the correct amounts?

You know what, it's 6:30 pm here and I have gently caress all to do. I'll knock out a batch and report back with my findings.

edit- did you do all this whisking and resting?

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 25, 2018

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I happened to make some of them tonight as well. Used mini peanut butter cups instead of chocolate chips, but they came out great. I did the whisking and resting, but doubt I waited even 2 minutes between each whisking.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

I tend to bake when I'm feeling unmotivated/depressed. The cookies or whatever at the end aren't the important part. It's about doing a task from start to finish and seeing the end result of your work. If you're trying a new recipe or improving on an old one, that makes it even better. You get to feel good about accomplishing something and there are also baked goods at the end!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Sex Hobbit posted:

Definitely grab an oven thermometer; it's how I learned my oven takes a god damned hour to preheat.

Correcting your temperature will probably make a huge difference. I don't think not fully browning the butter is your issue here. Are you absolutely sure you got all the ingredients in, in the correct amounts?

You know what, it's 6:30 pm here and I have gently caress all to do. I'll knock out a batch and report back with my findings.

Came out just fine for me. I added in chopped almonds as well, cause I have a ton to get rid of.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

fknlo posted:

fknlo posted:

Did you bake them on a silpat? I find that sometimes a silpat will be too 'slippery' for some cookies and the edges will get thin and over cooked. There's no grip to keep the edges in place until they firm up. This isn't a problem with most cookies, but maybe that contributed.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Did you bake them on a silpat? I find that sometimes a silpat will be too 'slippery' for some cookies and the edges will get thin and over cooked. There's no grip to keep the edges in place until they firm up. This isn't a problem with most cookies, but maybe that contributed.

I do mine on a silpat. My cookies actually come out looking more like that when I use parchment.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sex Hobbit posted:

I did do all the whisking and resting. I went back through the ingredients and I'm pretty sure I got everything but can't guarantee it.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I cooked them straight on the baking sheet as I forgot to pick up parchment paper. Would that do it?

Sex Hobbit posted:

Came out just fine for me. I added in chopped almonds as well, cause I have a ton to get rid of.

Those look great. I'm gonna try them again next week and see what happens.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

fknlo posted:

I cooked them straight on the baking sheet as I forgot to pick up parchment paper. Would that do it?

It totally could. They look to me like the bottoms got hot WAY faster than the rest of the cookie.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Sunday morning's efforts- the trail mix cookies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Round 2!

I totally hosed something up last week. I've only had one test subject, but I'm pretty sure they taste way better too.

e: They're delicious!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 31, 2018