Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just from reading up on it, it seems like the battery life isn't great? Like 2-3 hours before you charge it. I can see that being a pain in situations like longer plane or bus rides for example. Not that it's a fault of the product I guess since you can't really cram a large enough battery in these things. Then again, I'm also not a fan of these independent wireless ear buds for a number of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Initial reviews I've read say 3-4 hours and buddy seems to concur, plus the charging case is 48 hours. Pretty similar to the airpods although more features, but the style is way better imo and I can't stand the fit of those hard plastic apple earbud shapes. I totally get why these wireless earbuds aren't for everyone, but they're ideal for my use case so I'm quite keen on the these.

I will say that there have been zero issues trying these out with any kind of dropouts or differences in sound/connection between earbuds. It's been surprisingly seamless and good, I honestly didn't expect this.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Oh, I do get it for the typical commute it should be perfect for that. The charging case doesn't really help for the longer-term scenarios though. Yes, the case may hold 48 hours, but you're still out of commission on the ear buds while they're charging. I guess if they truly do hold 3-4 hours then it's not so bad.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Vidaeus posted:

Ok, so any recommendations for the bone conduction ones? Are they cheaper and or better than the apple airpods because that's my current pick.

Oops I wrote a post two nights ago and completely forgot to submit it. I have Aftershokz Trekz Titanium headphones. They're the top of the line headphones (Apparently there's Trekz air now which seem to be Titaniums but lighter) from Aftershokz, the main bone conduction brand, and go for between 110 and 130 dollars depending on color and if they're on sale. The only difference between the Trekz Titanium and the normal trekz is like 20 bucks and the Titaniums have multipoint bluetooth. There are some other models but I don't know the differences.
e: They've done a model line revamp since January when I bought mine so I have no clue now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Curious if anyone has has tried the new Zolo Liberty+ earbuds. My buddy backed the kickstarter so got his already, and he got me to try them out this morning as I was interested in picking up a pair once they're on sale. I'm super impressed, very high build quality, sound great, feel great in my ear, and the carrying case also works great. Pairing was effortless and the BT 5.0 connection is very stable, video lag is super noticeable and I'd only probably use them for music. I'm kind of wondering if I'm missing something horrible about them because I'm definitely gonna pick up a pair once they hit Amazon.

I have had them for a few weeks.

Pro: music is great most of the time, the Zolo equalizer app sucks but I found one called Neutralizer that works amazing

I have a normal size head and used the largest earbuds and largest grip thingy, fit is perfect and secure even if yawning/eating/sprinting etc.

Cons: they didn't pay the licensing fee for APT-X which basically ruins them for non-music. They have a ton of latency on games and videos. To mitigate some of the latency for phone calls, they only drive the phone call from the right ear, left is silent. All stereo has to be sent from the right ear to the left, which requires a buffer, i.e. more lag, so I guess that's the reasoning. They told me it can never be fixed with firmware. The microphone for calls is not great due to placement.. it is fine indoors but not outside with lots of ambient noise or moderate wind.

Bluetooth 5.0 apparently does not solve cross-body interference; if I have the phone in my front pants pocket and I'm bicycling, it will still cut out for a second, once every few songs.

During the winter the charging case is nice, but in the summer without a coat, you might not want to carry that bulgy case in your pocket and then you don't really have a neat way to charge/protect them.

A good subset of people have gotten duds, some have the left ear drop constantly, some have one ear become way quieter than the other (this happened to me and resolved itself after a day, maybe something to do with battery levels). Zolo/Anker support I was able to reach the couple times I called, they are Americans and are knowledgeable, and are offering refunds to people with issues, or exchanges, stock permitting.

if you're just going to have your phone in your breast pocket and listen to music on your commute and don't mind the gaming/video/voice pitfalls, they're ok.

edit: If LG could make a Bluetooth 5.0 pair of Tone headphones that sound as good as these, I'd go with that instead whenever they come out.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 22, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you very much for all that, very helpful. Interesting about the cross body interference, doesn't sound too bad but still, ugh. That's a shame about no aptx.

I honestly feel like the benefits are going to outweigh the downsides in this case for me, but I appreciate the heads up! It's going to be the convenience factor for me of these that's the killer feature.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes: Looking for a recommendation on Bluetooth/ANC headphones.

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD1s, after reading reviews on Wirecutter; going to return it because it's uncomfortable: It's marketed as over-ear, but uses an awkward-sized earcup that's part-way between over and on-ear. Ie partially rests on head, partially on ear.

The HD1's sound is muddier and not as balanced as the Sennheiser 598s I've been using for years, but much better than the Skullcandy Grind it replaced. The HD1's wireless convenience, and ANC are delightful.

Are there any wireless/ANC headphones that are as comfortable as the 598?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes: Looking for a recommendation on Bluetooth/ANC headphones.

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD1s, after reading reviews on Wirecutter; going to return it because it's uncomfortable: It's marketed as over-ear, but uses an awkward-sized earcup that's part-way between over and on-ear. Ie partially rests on head, partially on ear.

The HD1's sound is muddier and not as balanced as the Sennheiser 598s I've been using for years, but much better than the Skullcandy Grind it replaced. The HD1's wireless convenience, and ANC are delightful.

Are there any wireless/ANC headphones that are as comfortable as the 598?

honestly have you considered the bose QCs? extremely comfortable, lightweight, and best in class ANC.

previous gen hardware is still on firesale surprisingly, i would have thought they'd run out of stock by now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VW7U8X4/

edit: apparently the qc25 isn't bluetooth, but the qc35 definitely is.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 22, 2017

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I may pull the trigger. My roommate has a pair of Bose QC35; I tried them today after receiving the HD1s and noticing they don't fit; the Bose was comfortable. Given that I'd us these more for lectures than music, where comfort and NC are the priority this may be my best option. I expect to keep using the 598s at home.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 22, 2017

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I ended up getting the Sony WH-1000XM2 after mulling over it for quite a while, and I like them a lot. My colleagues at the office who have QC-35s also seem to be impressed. I bought them after reviews said that the ANC is on par with Bose and that the music quality is slightly better. They’re quite bass heavy, but I like them. And they work perfectly fine with 3.5 mm cable in unpowered mode. However, the ANC adds a slight white noise floor (this is quite noticeable in an otherwise silent room), which easily gets masked by music, but I find it to be a bit distracting when listening to podcasts, because you hear it in the silence in between the talking. I don’t know if Bose has that.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

NFX posted:

I ended up getting the Sony WH-1000XM2 after mulling over it for quite a while, and I like them a lot. My colleagues at the office who have QC-35s also seem to be impressed. I bought them after reviews said that the ANC is on par with Bose and that the music quality is slightly better. They’re quite bass heavy, but I like them. And they work perfectly fine with 3.5 mm cable in unpowered mode. However, the ANC adds a slight white noise floor (this is quite noticeable in an otherwise silent room), which easily gets masked by music, but I find it to be a bit distracting when listening to podcasts, because you hear it in the silence in between the talking. I don’t know if Bose has that.

These are pretty comparable with the QC35s, I have the Sonys and the wife has the QC35s. I find the Sonys to have slightly better sound, especially with ANC off, but the Bose ANC is noticeably better in a few niche situations I run into, but comparable most of the time. They both fit pretty similarly, the Sonys might be a bit more annoying for people with big ears.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm looking at those two as well, the reviews and videos i've seen suggest the Sony has slightly better NC in terms of blocking sound and good sound quality, plus I like the touch pad controls on the ear. Does the Bose ANC make less "noise" so to speak or is that just how ANC works, never used it before

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

in terms of the white noise floor, i only detect some fuzz in the right channel when no music is playing. the sound quality is pretty decent, though my expectations were low tbh.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

They both fit pretty similarly, the Sonys might be a bit more annoying for people with big ears.
Could you clarify please? Ie, are the earcups on the Sony small, like on the HD1? I can verify that the Bose has normal-sized/comfortable cups.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Could you clarify please? Ie, are the earcups on the Sony small, like on the HD1? I can verify that the Bose has normal-sized/comfortable cups.

They are both smaller than any other around-ear headphones I own. The designs of both result in my ears fitting under the inside of the padding, between the padding and the actual headphones. This is different compared to something larger like the Beyerdynamic DT770/990 which I wear more often. With the bigger headphones the padding sits around my ears only contacting my head and is comfortable basically forever, but with the smaller headphones like the QC35/WH-1000X the padding ends up sitting between my ears and my head with the outside of my ears inserted into the space between the pads and the backing.

The two headphones are almost exactly the same size overall, but the padding on Sonys is both a bit stiffer and more substantial, so the actual opening of the earcup ends up slightly narrower. Because the foam is thicker as well there is less space between the inside of the foam padding and the backing of the inside of the earcup across the drivers. The Sony has soft foam there where the Bose has only some fabric mesh. The combination of these things means that with longer wear the Sonys end up putting more pressure on the outside cartilage of my ear which is squished between the faux-leather padding and the soft foam, whereas because the inside of the Bose earcups doesn't have as thick padding or foam over the drivers my ears are only contacted on one side. This difference is only really noticeable after either an extended period of time or if it is warm outside

To put some numbers on it:

Outside Height/Width:

Sony: 95mm/73mm
Bose: 98mm/76mm

Interior Height/Width/Distance between pad and backing:

Sony: 61mm/31mm/3mm
Bose: 61mm/36mm/9mm

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you for the detailed info!

Ordered the Bose; seems ideal for my use case.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 25, 2017

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Budget: <$200
Source: desktop computer
Isolation Requirements: Not important, but I want to keep sound in, so nothing open-back
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced
Past Headphones: Sony MDR-7506, NAD VISO HP50
Preferred Music: Rock, classical, jazz

I got a pair of NAD VISO HP50 headphones for Christmas, and I think they sound great. My perception, at least, is that I can hear a lot more clarity and detail than with my old headphones.

However, the headband is extremely uncomfortable for me; it feels like a metal rod pressing into my head. The earpads are a bit tight as well, because I have a large head, although it isn't as much of a problem. FWIW, I find the MDR-7506es to be comfortable, which I know some people don't.

I'm looking for something that sounds similar but is more comfortable. Removable cord is a plus, but not required. Bonus points if I can try it on somewhere in Chicago.

Models I've considered (though I don't know very much about them): Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, Sony MDR 1A, Fostex T40RP MK3, Beyerdynamic DT 770

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

yoctoontologist posted:

Budget: <$200
Source: desktop computer
Isolation Requirements: Not important, but I want to keep sound in, so nothing open-back
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance: Balanced
Past Headphones: Sony MDR-7506, NAD VISO HP50
Preferred Music: Rock, classical, jazz

I got a pair of NAD VISO HP50 headphones for Christmas, and I think they sound great. My perception, at least, is that I can hear a lot more clarity and detail than with my old headphones.

However, the headband is extremely uncomfortable for me; it feels like a metal rod pressing into my head. The earpads are a bit tight as well, because I have a large head, although it isn't as much of a problem. FWIW, I find the MDR-7506es to be comfortable, which I know some people don't.

I'm looking for something that sounds similar but is more comfortable. Removable cord is a plus, but not required. Bonus points if I can try it on somewhere in Chicago.

Models I've considered (though I don't know very much about them): Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, Sony MDR 1A, Fostex T40RP MK3, Beyerdynamic DT 770

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...8H15XMA4GMRFEFC

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

The NADs' headband has a completely different design from the Sennheiser models that's intended to fit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Just the idea, man. You can get padding for just about any set of headphones. Given that you already like the NADs in terms of sound quality it would be a shame to give up on them so quickly.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I need some help figuring out if my headphones are working as expected. As mentioned a few posts ago, I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling phones. When I got them, I immediately noticed that turning on the NC, with no audio playing results in a very slight hiss / white noise sound. I figured it is just part of the algorithm, injecting a little noise to mask any imperfections in the algorithm. It is completely masked whenever I play any music, but its slightly distracting when I listen to voice ie. podcasts or radio.

However, over Christmas I’ve gotten the chance to compare them to a pair of Bose QC-35s, and those are much quieter when idle and I can’t detect anything during podcasts. All reviews I’ve read suggest that the Sony ANC is very close or even better than the Bose, and it feels weird to me tha no one would’ve mentioned this difference. I’ve tried the factory reset on my headphones (hold down both buttons for 7 seconds) without any effect. It goes away when disabling NC or when switching it to ambient mode (which seems useless otherwise).

Is this noise normal?

I really like the sound quality of my phones, and I’m not looking to switch (the QC-35s have a definite overpressure that I don’t like). But if my headphones have a defect it’d be nice to have it resolved.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

NFX posted:

All reviews I’ve read suggest that the Sony ANC is very close or even better than the Bose, and it feels weird to me tha no one would’ve mentioned this difference.
Sounds similar to my reaction about the HD1s having tiny/uncomfortable earcups.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NFX posted:

Is this noise normal?

Yes. The reason people don't mention it in reviews is because you only hear it when you're not listening to music, and if you're not listening to music why are you buying headphones?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

grack posted:

Yes. The reason people don't mention it in reviews is because you only hear it when you're not listening to music, and if you're not listening to music why are you buying headphones?
Watching videos, taking classes, audiobooks, etc. White noise is a problem when its competition is a single voice.

Is the noise less distracting than the background noise the ANC/closed-design blocks?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got some Monoprice XXX IEMs. They have 10mm dynamic driver and 2 balanced armatures. For $35 bux these are a STEAL.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18516

The mids and highs are clear as hell. Bass goes low.. no LOWER. Effortless sub bass with no mid bass hump. Treble is a tad high but I think with a little burn in these are gonna be holy F#$# great. Its really hard to find IEMs with both good sub bass and clear mids and highs.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I bought a pair of JBL Synchros E40BT headphones and I've noticed something weird. When I'm listening to spotify it has great audio quality, but then if I jump onto discord voice chat or get a phone call it drops to really tinny and low quality audio and won't come back to regular good quality until I've left the call, stopped the music, and started it again. This only happens over bluetooth, not when the wire is in. It almost feels like it switches into bandwith saving mode or something, which I think is weird when it's clearly able to stream high quality audio from spotify.

Can anyone explain this, and whether I can do anything about it?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Like I said, I get that. It’s just that the difference between the QC-35 and WH-1000XM2 seems quite noticeable. The pressure thing is mentioned in several reviews, so why not the background static when listening to voice content?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I've been trying to decide to get in on this hd 6xx deal or not, as today is the last day. Is the HD 6xx or monoprice 1060 a better deal, if I wait for a 250ish deal on the m1060.

All the review sites terminology just flies over my head, I've been using disposable Bluetooth headphones for years, so my standards are pretty low. and wanted to spluge once on something I can keep for years.

I will be using it from my pixel and desktop, and don't have an amp. supposedly the m1060 is usable without an amp? I've tried some other models of the seins before and found them pretty comfortable, but the sound was very low. and I am fixiated on the m1060 because this magnet technobable sounds more impressive.

I'll be using this on pixel for music, and desktop for porn

Femur fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 27, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Femur posted:

I've been trying to decide to get in on this hd 6xx deal or not, as today is the last day. Is the HD 6xx or monoprice 1060 a better deal, if I wait for a 250ish deal on the m1060.

All the review sites terminology just flies over my head, I've been using disposable Bluetooth headphones for years, so my standards are pretty low. and wanted to spluge once on something I can keep for years.

I will be using it from my pixel and desktop, and don't have an amp. supposedly the m1060 is usable without an amp? I've tried some other models of the seins before and found them pretty comfortable, but the sound was very low. and I am fixiated on the m1060 because this magnet technobable sounds more impressive.

I'll be using this on pixel for music, and desktop for porn

M1060 is 50ohms so can be used without amp easily. I’d look at that or the $219 Hifiman 400i. I’m not exactly blown away by my hd650s

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

the m1060s own, but they're real heavy and flimsy. don't expect them to be portable at all. right now they're probably the best for your money in the planar magnetic game.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

NFX posted:

Like I said, I get that. It’s just that the difference between the QC-35 and WH-1000XM2 seems quite noticeable. The pressure thing is mentioned in several reviews, so why not the background static when listening to voice content?

You must’ve been reading different reviews than I was. Most reviews I’ve read for non-Bose headphones seem to include this white noise background. It seems like whatever Bose is doing is well patented so everyone else has a little hiss.

quote:

Like most active noise cancellation circuitry not made by the industry-leading Bose, the WH-1000XM2's noise cancellation tends to emit a faint high frequency hiss
https://www.pcmag.com/review/356990/sony-wh-1000xm2

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Received the KZ ZS6 a few days ago and they're real good. Much better than the XE800 I used until now. Already ordered some foam tips and a couple of cables for optimal sound purity improved microphonics.

Really impressive stuff considering I paid 20 bucks for these.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lube banjo posted:

M1060 is 50ohms so can be used without amp easily. I’d look at that or the $219 Hifiman 400i. I’m not exactly blown away by my hd650s

Thank you, I'll pass on the hd 6xx and try to look for an m1060 and check out that hifi 400i.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Trier posted:

I bought a pair of JBL Synchros E40BT headphones and I've noticed something weird. When I'm listening to spotify it has great audio quality, but then if I jump onto discord voice chat or get a phone call it drops to really tinny and low quality audio and won't come back to regular good quality until I've left the call, stopped the music, and started it again. This only happens over bluetooth, not when the wire is in. It almost feels like it switches into bandwith saving mode or something, which I think is weird when it's clearly able to stream high quality audio from spotify.

Can anyone explain this, and whether I can do anything about it?

Bluetooth audio has two different protocols - one is high-quality but one-way, the other is low-quality but two-way. You can't speak and also hear high-quality audio. Use a separate microphone for that.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

MrBond posted:

You must’ve been reading different reviews than I was. Most reviews I’ve read for non-Bose headphones seem to include this white noise background. It seems like whatever Bose is doing is well patented so everyone else has a little hiss.

Has Bose changed what they do? Because they definitely have a little hiss on my QC15 when silent. It's way way less than I got with the Beats Studio Pro or whatever the gently caress ANC Beats I beta tested a while back, but still there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Femur posted:

Thank you, I'll pass on the hd 6xx and try to look for an m1060 and check out that hifi 400i.

This is a bad decision. The 6xx are probably the best headphones I've ever owned. They're sufficiently driven by my S7 and Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL fwiw.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ddogflex posted:

Has Bose changed what they do? Because they definitely have a little hiss on my QC15 when silent. It's way way less than I got with the Beats Studio Pro or whatever the gently caress ANC Beats I beta tested a while back, but still there.

I haven’t tried a QC35 original or II but the impression I get from the reviews is whatever hiss the Bose has is probably nearly nothing compared to what every other brand has right now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was gifted some Jaybird X3s for xmas and I'm surprised how awful they sound - even with good fit and messing with the EQ in the associated app. Do these take a few hours to burn in before they're decent?

For context since this stuff is relative, I'm not an over-the-top audiophile, but I normally listen to music via Shure SRH1540s or the upgraded sound system in my car (a modern car with a decent surround system and I've added an aftermarket deck, subwoofer). I've also had like $20 skullcandy IEMs and they sounded much better than these jaybirds. The consensus online seems to be that they're fine - did I get a dud pair? They just have no low end and the midrange is really muddy.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is a bad decision. The 6xx are probably the best headphones I've ever owned. They're sufficiently driven by my S7 and Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL fwiw.

I could see on the Pixel 2 but the S7? My S8 doesn't drive them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

jisforjosh posted:

I could see on the Pixel 2 but the S7? My S8 doesn't drive them enough.

HD650 is the only pair of cans I own where I switch to high gain on my Magni. No way the phone has enough juice.