Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

drunkill posted:

Rumour is that a Carlton player is pregnant.

Rules state that:

I am interested in this. Forgive me if these questions seem ignorant.

When would the doctor step in and tell the player that they can't play, if the player insisted on playing? Surely a contact sport is not good for the foetus? Who would be liable if, God Forbid, someone miscarried after a particularly hard tackle/bump? The player for deciding to play, the doctor for letting her, or her opponent for the tackle itself?

What are the rules/precedents on this from other leagues around the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No clue, but I guess once the club knows about it (second trimester) the doctor could just tell the coach that the player has to sit out as they are not meeting the required fitness levels or will be causing harm to themselves and the baby, ya know, if they want to play while 7 months pregnant or something in 30 degree heat.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Also holy poo poo.

I just saw a training picture of Harry Mckay, he's loving massive. He got turf toe at the end of the season and must have just sat in the gym for three months.

Seriously though, Career One collapsed in August which is when Carlton used the virgin aus sticker ontop of the training shirts and match-day guernseys. Those two pictures are less than six months apart. Cripps has some catching up to do!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My wife is a competitive rower and we she fell pregnant she basically stopped any rowing after 8 weeks or so. Partly due to the stress of the physical exertion can trigger a miscarriage (the body decides it’s not an optimal time to have a baby), and the danger of “catching a crab” while in the boat and copping an oar to the stomach.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Fair enough, I figure whoever it is will sit out the season, or at least the end of it.

Anyway, more Carlton spam. The new turf is now down at Princes Park. Time to water the poo poo out of it until it gets its first use in the warmup for the Carl v Pies game on Feb 2.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

racing identity posted:

By which I mean I hope Lever is pregnant, not a sexual predator

Cant it be both??

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Spedman posted:

My wife is a competitive rower and we she fell pregnant she basically stopped any rowing after 8 weeks or so. Partly due to the stress of the physical exertion can trigger a miscarriage (the body decides it’s not an optimal time to have a baby), and the danger of “catching a crab” while in the boat and copping an oar to the stomach.

Seems to vary from person to person. I play in a racquetball comp and there's a lady there who literally played until two weeks before delivery, and started again two weeks afterwards. Due to the timing of the birth she actually didn't miss a single match, the baby came in the month-long break between seasons. Not sure I would have been all that comfortable playing against her, racquetball isn't a contact sport but it's not at all uncommon to end up colliding as you try to get to the ball. Not to mention the possibility of a ball or racquet to the stomach.

Meanwhile my wife is pregnant at the moment and has basically had to cancel any activities besides sleeping, going to work, and light-paced walking because she's so sick all the time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cmndstab posted:

Meanwhile my wife is pregnant at the moment and has basically had to cancel any activities besides sleeping, going to work, and light-paced walking because she's so sick all the time.

You're married to a Melbourne footballer???

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

cmndstab posted:

Seems to vary from person to person. I play in a racquetball comp and there's a lady there who literally played until two weeks before delivery, and started again two weeks afterwards. Due to the timing of the birth she actually didn't miss a single match, the baby came in the month-long break between seasons. Not sure I would have been all that comfortable playing against her, racquetball isn't a contact sport but it's not at all uncommon to end up colliding as you try to get to the ball. Not to mention the possibility of a ball or racquet to the stomach.

It does vary a lot woman to woman, it knocks some ladies for six, others barely notice it, at least that's my experience being around pregnant women for the last few years.

Having said that, one of my wife's friends at the rowing club was very determined to not let her pregnancy slow her down. She was overly active doing massive charity bike rides and regattas and the like on the same weekends and ended up with a miscarriage right after she upped her physical activity. It won't happen to every woman, but you'd want to avoid that result at all costs. :smith:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

!!!

Congratulations!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cmndstab posted:

Congratulations cmndstab and Mrs cmndstab!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That sucks for the rowing lady, Spedman :smith: It might even have been something unrelated that led to the miscarriage, but geez, you'd blame yourself forever.

Also thanks guys :) She'll be our first child. Six months along now so I can look forward to missing the Crows AFLW back-to-back premiership I guess!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

Also thanks guys :) She'll be our first child. Six months along now so I can look forward to missing the Crows AFLW back-to-back premiership I guess!

Delivery rooms have TVs don't they?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Delivery rooms have TVs don't they?

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that, hahaha. Maybe I can do the earphones trick that people do at weddings?

Seriously though she'll be delivered a week before the GF at the latest (a couple of health conditions mean that labour will need to be induced ten days early, assuming she doesn't come any earlier than that). So I'll be free to watch :allears: Big Tex Perkins :allears: kick the winning goal after the siren.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is Tex a common name in Adelaide?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

cmndstab posted:

That sucks for the rowing lady, Spedman :smith: It might even have been something unrelated that led to the miscarriage, but geez, you'd blame yourself forever.

Congrats on the up coming little one! First 6 weeks are rough, but it's uphill from there for your sanity.

As for the rowing lady, it was for the best in the end, her and her husband split after only 3 years of marriage. But miscarriages happen much more than people realise and for a whole host of different reasons, but they're pretty awful for everyone involved. (sorry to be a Debby Downer).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Spedman posted:

Congrats on the up coming little one! First 6 weeks are rough, but it's uphill from there for your sanity.

As for the rowing lady, it was for the best in the end, her and her husband split after only 3 years of marriage. But miscarriages happen much more than people realise and for a whole host of different reasons, but they're pretty awful for everyone involved. (sorry to be a Debby Downer).

My mother in law had like 6 miscarriages including a stillbirth on the way to 4 children :smith:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

My mother in law had like 6 miscarriages including a stillbirth on the way to 4 children :smith:

Ugh, thats just awful. You really start to hear everyones sad stories when you have a kid yourself, still such a taboo subject in a lot of ways.

In more positive news, Santa visited Freo during the week:

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/943331665719435264

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spedman posted:

I am extremely certain that the miscarriage was not for the best, Debby.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry to put you on the spot, Sped, but that is a really awful thing to say. I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but I can't imagine any circumstance in which such a traumatic experience could be considered for the best for anyone. I wouldn't express that sentiment in polite company, is what I'm trying to say.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

I'm sorry to put you on the spot, Sped, but that is a really awful thing to say. I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but I can't imagine any circumstance in which such a traumatic experience could be considered for the best for anyone. I wouldn't express that sentiment in polite company, is what I'm trying to say.

It was a very poor choice of words on my behalf, and in the context of this particular situation it was in the middle of a turbulent relationship falling apart. And I couldn't agree more about a miscarriage being something you wouldn't wish on anybody. You were right to call me out.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
All good man :hfive:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Congratulations cmndstab! There seem to be a few Ausgoon parents around these days so don't be afraid to ask for advice/vent your frustrations

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Congrats cmndstab, I assume you’ve already bought the kid a membership. It’s been nearly 10 years since we met up for a beer at Adelaide v Geelong at Football Park which is insane.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Thanks again all - and yes, you definitely hear lots of miscarriage/difficult births/SIDS etc horror stories as soon as you announce you're expecting a kid.
I can handle it (although it's obviously confronting) but my wife has issues with anxiety and it's the last thing she needs to hear, so we've had to basically tell people "please stop telling us your horror stories because my wife needs to actually sleep occasionally instead of lying awake at night and freaking out".

Shmoses posted:

Congrats cmndstab, I assume you’ve already bought the kid a membership. It’s been nearly 10 years since we met up for a beer at Adelaide v Geelong at Football Park which is insane.

I haven't, actually! I should get onto that. Yeah, I still remember meeting up with you and VC, was a fun time except for the utter flogging the Crows got :(

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Had to check to make sure there was no new thread started without my knowledge. Did you all die from too many former player biographies presents falling on you, pinning you helplessly underneath their ghostwritten words?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Elongated food coma

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We’ve had trouble trying. An ectopic and a miscarriage this year :/ I was so excited looking up Richmond baby memberships.

Of course with a ~ 37 year wait till richmond gets the flag maybe I should hold off for the babies sake

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It still feels weird to think about footy. It's hard for me to imagine the Crows having a better year than they did in 2017, or the rest of the competition in general having as poo poo a year again, so I'm struggling to see them picking up the flag next year. I'd like to imagine that maybe our GF loss this year will be the impetus to a dominant reign, but I find it a lot easier to assume it's just a false dawn.

At least I have the AFLW to look forward to!

teacup posted:

We’ve had trouble trying. An ectopic and a miscarriage this year :/ I was so excited looking up Richmond baby memberships.

Of course with a ~ 37 year wait till richmond gets the flag maybe I should hold off for the babies sake

That sucks dude :( Hopefully 2018 is the year for you guys. Good luck mate!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Our first child was stillborn at 26 weeks and it was devastating for us. It still hurts but the thing that really helps is that we now have a beautiful daughter who is nearly a year old and she’s just the best. You hear all about other people’s stories of loss when you go through that, and it turns out lots of people who have healthy kids went through similar experiences. It isn’t talked about, though. It is just one of those things that people can’t relate to without going through it, and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Soft drink chat has taken an unexpected turn this season :stare:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

realbez posted:

Our first child was stillborn at 26 weeks and it was devastating for us. It still hurts but the thing that really helps is that we now have a beautiful daughter who is nearly a year old and she’s just the best. You hear all about other people’s stories of loss when you go through that, and it turns out lots of people who have healthy kids went through similar experiences. It isn’t talked about, though. It is just one of those things that people can’t relate to without going through it, and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Oh geez. We've just finished 26 weeks and I can't even begin to imagine it at this stage.

Awesome to hear about your daughter though :unsmith:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Considering so many of you have kids there is a distinct lack of photos of adorable kids in team colours in this thread.

And to save me double posting:
https://twitter.com/MitchKeat/status/946548581476974592

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

cmndstab posted:

It still feels weird to think about footy. It's hard for me to imagine the Crows having a better year than they did in 2017, or the rest of the competition in general having as poo poo a year again, so I'm struggling to see them picking up the flag next year. I'd like to imagine that maybe our GF loss this year will be the impetus to a dominant reign, but I find it a lot easier to assume it's just a false dawn.

At least I have the AFLW to look forward to!

I look forward to seeing the innovative ways in which both our mens and womens teams can break my heart this year

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

cmndstab posted:

Oh geez. We've just finished 26 weeks and I can't even begin to imagine it at this stage.

Awesome to hear about your daughter though :unsmith:

I won’t give advice (because it’s all bullshit) except to say that the first few months are way harder than anyone can possibly convey to you, but it is totally worth it 🙂

Periphery posted:

Considering so many of you have kids there is a distinct lack of photos of adorable kids in team colours in this thread.

The internet is unworthy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Quality tweet

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I forgot to have kids

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I forgot to have kids

Nephews & nieces exist for a reason.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
My 7yo has recently become significantly more interested in pro-wrestling than AFL football and I gotta admit, he’s right to be. It’s better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Largepotato posted:

Nephews & nieces exist for a reason.

My sister is a jerk and refuses to have kids

• Locked thread