Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I think the 50v50 event is over now isn't it? I haven't dropped in for awhile

I thought I read it was ending today. Ah well, one less game for me to split my time with until the next one comes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yeah that ended in order for the HE mode to begin - guess they will only have 1 limited mode at a time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Had a guy meltdown about putting blueglo in an Atlas today. It was pretty funny hearing him screech "retard" repeatedly while i built the fort during the first day.

Some dude kept on calling me a porch monkey today. Clearly the person who looked bad in this exchange was me

Edit: Also I'm so white I'm basically see through so this was as insulting as telling me to go back to mexico

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I've had people get mad at me maybe twice in all the time I've played this over starting things too soon. Some people got no chill

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh, was that what was happening? I went into an atlas mission last night and everyone spent the first 20 minutes dismantling the entire town. I was in desperate need of machine parts and nuts and bolts so I went with it but I thought it was one of those things I'd been hearing about of people joining maps to harvest and then drop.

Is it bad form to try for the speed bonus in most occasions?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's kind of gotten to the point where I only do encampment and rescue missions when possible. I don't want to fart around for 40 minutes and feel like nobody is ever going to start the event unless I'm the one to initiate it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Just nudge people along by putting blue glo in. It's like shaking your keys by the door.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No.

katkillad2 posted:

It's kind of gotten to the point where I only do encampment and rescue missions when possible. I don't want to fart around for 40 minutes and feel like nobody is ever going to start the event unless I'm the one to initiate it.
Data also has a time limit of 1 game day before it starts automatically.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh, was that what was happening? I went into an atlas mission last night and everyone spent the first 20 minutes dismantling the entire town. I was in desperate need of machine parts and nuts and bolts so I went with it but I thought it was one of those things I'd been hearing about of people joining maps to harvest and then drop.

Every game ive been in has gone for the speed.

If i need or want to harvest i just set the game to private and pick a city map.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess there's no penalty for leaving a mission early? I wasn't sure if I'd forfeit my findings. This is also still in the tutorial phase so I don't quite have a full map available to choose from.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I guess there's no penalty for leaving a mission early? I wasn't sure if I'd forfeit my findings. This is also still in the tutorial phase so I don't quite have a full map available to choose from.

There's no penalty for leaving and you get to keep materials, but you get no rewards or credit for any quests you might have made progress on.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Some quests are bugged and you get credit. A bunch of the winter ones did that.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

If you're an rear end in a top hat (and you loving know that I am), you can also take solace in that there is no penalty for just straight up going AFK. Think your team has it in the bag? Have to go take a piss? Answer the phone? Make supper? Just hide in a tall tower, barricade the door, unequip your weapons, and walk away from the screen.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

No, you hide at the edge of the map. If you're in a tower, patrol husks could still conceivably get to you and that way you don't even have to unequip your weapons or make/find a tower.

The AFK timer will still get you though.

sogekihei
Jul 15, 2001
Just turned fortnite on today and saw a noticeable difference in display. Lines/Colors definitely not as sharp as they were, all looks a little fuzzier. Tried to mess with my Xbox and game settings but found nothing. Anyone else have this happen?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at the good folks who immediately shoot the balloon in retrieve the data then drop out of the game.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Fortunately, I've never seen anyone do that.

Also, you can't shoot it until 8 minutes in.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

This is what I do:
Use the chat roulette to ask "Can we start now?". A feature of the roulette is that is translate to the native language.

Then if nobody answer in 1 minute, or somebody say "Agree", then proceed.
If somebody say "please no, wait a littel bit". then wait like 30 seconds and ask again.

----

If you see a constructor enhancing the base don't start it yet, because... hey dude!, maybe help a bit upgrading critical walls.

Many people is morose and will farm for far too long, maybe to complete some quest, but they will not contribute to building the objetive, so you don't have to go too far from our own objective to help them. The average player is a moron and greedy, and the faster you complete the mission the better. You just be nice about it, and hope for the best (sometimes you meet cool people in missions).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

You pick soldier. You tell your team you will do the objective. You tell them you will start it as soon as possible. You do this in a nice way because you're a soldier picker and you want to win. You make a tiny box with wall launchers in a highly efficient configuration. You end the game with zero construction points and the highest combat score conceivable by man.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Kylra posted:

You pick soldier. You tell your team you will do the objective. You tell them you will start it as soon as possible. You do this in a nice way because you're a soldier picker and you want to win. You make a tiny box with wall launchers in a highly efficient configuration. You end the game with zero construction points and the highest combat score conceivable by man.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Seriously though, I wish they would buff non-soldiers and also make it even less of a hassle to build trap complexes.

Like let Outlanders just straight up get 2-3x as many resources or something. Please.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I finally got around to doing a 7 day survive the storm the other night. I only did it on level 15 just to get the quest requirement done even though I'm level 40. My team was two high teens and a 22. Two people dropped after the first day. I ended up emptying most of my 20 stacks of traps and used up almost all of my ammo. I gave some weapons to my level 17 compatriot who managed to do a lot of work despite his addiction to just making big fields of half walls that cut off my trap boxes. It was still pretty rough with lobber waves and minibosses, but we got it done.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I finally got around to doing a 7 day survive the storm the other night. I only did it on level 15 just to get the quest requirement done even though I'm level 40. My team was two high teens and a 22. Two people dropped after the first day. I ended up emptying most of my 20 stacks of traps and used up almost all of my ammo. I gave some weapons to my level 17 compatriot who managed to do a lot of work despite his addiction to just making big fields of half walls that cut off my trap boxes. It was still pretty rough with lobber waves and minibosses, but we got it done.

I did the 3 days and it was a slog, so I can't imagine this marathon. Something people don't abuse is that you can put has much has 4 defenders. 4 mele defenders + 4 active players = 8 warm bodies on defense. I use melee defenders because they are generally pretty good and don't need any ammo.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you're overleveled, you can basically set up a 2 gas trap symmetrical killporch layout for every generator and then mostly go afk until day 4-6 or so. Especially for the Stonewood difficulty since smashers are rarer there.

E: It still takes a while though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 30, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I grabbed the $30 version of this the other night - does the game pretty frequently just gently caress off and freeze during PvE? It froze up the first time at the very beginning of the tutorial when I tried to build the first set of stairs, and then again when after I defended the first survivors and was supposed to lay the 3 floor traps. We're talking the first 10 minutes of actual game play here.

So I went to play BR with randos, got murdered within seconds of landing the first time, second time survived a couple of minutes, third time my squad gathered a bunch of stuff and one of the guys TK'd me. :wtf:
I'm assuming this is just the nature of pubbies.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

I grabbed the $30 version of this the other night - does the game pretty frequently just gently caress off and freeze during PvE? It froze up the first time at the very beginning of the tutorial when I tried to build the first set of stairs, and then again when after I defended the first survivors and was supposed to lay the 3 floor traps. We're talking the first 10 minutes of actual game play here.

Usually just when a player joins, but maybe the tutorial is doing something that triggers it too.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone link me the kill porch layout again

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Although lately I've just been using roof pyramids to get on top of things instead of the spiral staircases where I can. With a sprint jump from the tip you can make it to the next story high. Less fiddling with getting over armrails.

E: Also cutting out the interior square on the corners so there's 3 squares active on the corner floor tiles for more HP.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 30, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Kylra posted:

Seriously though, I wish they would buff non-soldiers and also make it even less of a hassle to build trap complexes.

Like let Outlanders just straight up get 2-3x as many resources or something. Please.

I kind of wish there were some pre-built plan slots or something where I could just spend 500-999 metal or whatever and save a good defense plan/building to a slot and plop it down on top of spots to defend. The things keeping me from putting more cash into the game is I know it's probably going to get to a point, most likely one of the storm defences, where fancy building designs and traps are going to be a requirement and those are my least favorite things about the game.

I just want to do quests, shoot things and get loot.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

No I'm super excited to spend 15 minutes farming something because I have to overtrap a level 40 mission because everyone else is level 20

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

I kind of wish there were some pre-built plan slots or something where I could just spend 500-999 metal or whatever and save a good defense plan/building to a slot and plop it down on top of spots to defend. The things keeping me from putting more cash into the game is I know it's probably going to get to a point, most likely one of the storm defences, where fancy building designs and traps are going to be a requirement and those are my least favorite things about the game.

I just want to do quests, shoot things and get loot.
Nah, you can just keep making tiny boxes and make up for it with shooting real good if you wanna as long as everyone is kind of level appropriate, not total scrubs and participating.

And map rng doesn't screw you over.

95% of my games into late canny could be or are readily done with a simple box + funnel perimeter + wall launchers.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 30, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I spend like 3 minutes per round explaining funnelling and reshaping or knocking down walls

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I spend like 3 minutes per round explaining funnelling and reshaping or knocking down walls
In my experience those people usually build 2-3x as much as needed so I usually just sit back and let them go at it unless they're really messing something up, like blocking stuff from getting flung off the map or into a pit.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If somebody build what seems a bad defense, is usually a good idea to let then do it, then build traps and prepare ammo, then be ready to do key adjustement. Getting in a fight over what to build is the road to a toxic game.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tei posted:

If somebody build what seems a bad defense, is usually a good idea to let then do it, then build traps and prepare ammo, then be ready to do key adjustement. Getting in a fight over what to build is the road to a toxic game.

Yeah true. You can just tell the missions when you're set up to fail and you know you need before event prep though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I would like to learn the proper way of funneling. At this point i just lay down hubdreds of retractable floor spikes and electic shockers.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I would like to learn the proper way of funneling. At this point i just lay down hubdreds of retractable floor spikes and electic shockers.

Heres some ideas.

1) Husk can only see 3 tiles in every direction, so if you make any wall 4 tiles long, they will break it.

2) Theres no wrong way to make a dead tunnel, just put something to slowdown mobs and other stuff to kill mobs, and upgrade what you can, maybe put pyramids on top the ceiling.

3) Tunnels are best left alone far away from players. This is not a useful advice, except maybe in shield defenses.

4) You can put a small chest high wall in the exit of a dead tunnel, it will not make the husk find a alternative path, but will force them to stay in the tunnel longer. Some people make 3 tiles wide deadtunnels with a zigzag design of chest high walls, seems to make sense.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Funnel everything into a one tile wide run.

If everything absolutely must die I make two box tiles that each have a gas, freeze trap, wall launcher, wall darts/wall zapper. It's probably overkill but nothing makes it out.

If it's really tough I put an electric field out front of it. It will zap a ton of those small fast bastards and prevent them from setting off the serious traps for the tougher enemies. If you do this you can ignore that side.

I also do two block size chest high walls that alternate so enemies have to run through.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If anybody wants to drag me around like an anchor in either PvE or BR on the Xbone, be my Xbone BFF, GT: Nostratic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Are legendary traps worth the increased material cost?

• Locked thread