Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

How difficult it is to get into Rimworld anyway? The game seems awesome, but it looks like you have to play 100h just to start to understand it.

It's not hard at all, especially ever since the dev added a context-sensitive tip system that tells you more about what's happening or what you need as you go. You'll still probably meet an untimely end the first time around but a couple games should be everything you need to figure out stuff.

That being said you'll probably still need to ask/look around for a good mod list. The base game is fun but just a tiny slice of what the game could truly offer if the dev didn't work embarrassingly slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mystic Stylez posted:

How difficult it is to get into Rimworld anyway? The game seems awesome, but it looks like you have to play 100h just to start to understand it.

It's actually pretty easy since you start with 3 colonists and they really trickle in afterwards, with the option to turn them away if you still feel overwhelmed.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thanks guys, that's nice. Maybe I will finally cave in and get it.

Det_no posted:

That being said you'll probably still need to ask/look around for a good mod list. The base game is fun but just a tiny slice of what the game could truly offer if the dev didn't work embarrassingly slow.

Any ideas where I might find something like this?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I suppose I should've elaborated a bit, because most of the suggestions you guys have presented are ones I've played the poo poo out of, or have previously experienced and didn't like. Played the poo poo out of Stardew Valley, Rimworld, War For The Overworld, Skylines, never gonna touch DF (too complicated and too ASCII) or Factorio (too ugly).

Maybe I'll play WFTO again.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I suppose I should've elaborated a bit, because most of the suggestions you guys have presented are ones I've played the poo poo out of, or have previously experienced and didn't like. Played the poo poo out of Stardew Valley, Rimworld, War For The Overworld, Skylines, never gonna touch DF (too complicated and too ASCII) or Factorio (too ugly).

You play Rimworld, but not Factorio because it's too ugly? Huhh?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

You must have played it, but Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2/3 or Planet Coaster?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MisterBibs posted:

Kingdoms and Castles sounds a little bit like it's in your wheelhouse.

e: so does Distant Worlds Universe.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rain World does regularly have a thing pop up to point you in a direction to go. Course you can ignore it if you like, but its advice isn't bad. I guess it's not immediately clear but it's got the world of a metroidvania, made up of discrete zones that connect together, with places worth going to and things to do at those places. And it really goes places. It's an amazing game.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

Thanks guys, that's nice. Maybe I will finally cave in and get it.

Any ideas where I might find something like this?

You could ask in the Rimworld thread or just google for must-have mod lists. Browsing the workshop and looking at the most subscribed is also a good idea but first of all, I'd recommend you play a vanilla game, figure out what annoys you (cause I can guarantee some things will annoy you) and go from there.

lets hang out posted:

Rain World does regularly have a thing pop up to point you in a direction to go. Course you can ignore it if you like, but its advice isn't bad. I guess it's not immediately clear but it's got the world of a metroidvania, made up of discrete zones that connect together, with places worth going to and things to do at those places. And it really goes places. It's an amazing game.

Did notice that it leads you to food and that hibernating advances some sort of track but at times it felt like I couldn't reach certain places it told me to reach. It was then perfectly happy with me doing something else though so that's where it feels a bit loose to me. It's just more open ended than similar stuff.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 29, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MisterBibs posted:

You can get tilesets for Dwarf Fortress, and so long as you don't mess with the military or underground farming it's ridiculously simple. Also not playing Factorio because it's ugly? Give the demo a bash. You'll come around.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Never thought I'd see a game with an 86 video youtube tutorial called ridiculously simple. Well, ok, 84 videos if you remove the military and underground farming.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Calling Dwarf Fortress 'ridiculously simple' in any capacity should be some kind of malpractice.

Danakir fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 29, 2017

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
It's a complex game with a lot of things to do but it's really not more complicated than it needs to be (barring military), maybe what he was getting at.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Once you get the hang of DF much of it falls into place but it's still an unbelievably complex arrangement of systems and moving parts, and the fact some of us have played enough of it that we can take a months-long break and return without losing any muscle memory or knowledge of what's what doesn't really change that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

darkhand posted:

It's a complex game with a lot of things to do but it's really not more complicated than it needs to be (barring military), maybe what he was getting at.

Exactly that. Anything else is either optional challenge or added depth, core gameplay is simple.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Rimworld is a VERY good game and the modding community is awesome and large. I put about 400 hours in with just these mods:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sininu posted:

You play Rimworld, but not Factorio because it's too ugly? Huhh?

I'm not him, but I like Rimworld's cartoony, simplistic graphics, makes it very easy to tell what everything is at a glance. Meanwhile, Factorio's aesthetic isn't to my taste, and it completely turns me off it, but I know I'm in the minority there. I think Factorio's stuff is drab, dull, and overdetailed, it reminds me too much of late 90s RTS. Factorio's graphics aren't "Bad" however, I just don't like the aesthetic.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Distant Worlds: apparently something about scrapping the space port at your homeworld and building a new one completely breaks ship refueling for whatever the hell inane reason? I got into this weird situation where I built a "small" port at my homeworld colony and later decided that I wanted a lighter space port than that for a miscellany of other purposes. So I ended up copying my space port design onto a new medium design, then scrapping the old space port since the game won't let you retrofit space ports into different "size" categories even though as far as the game is concerned they're functionally identical in every way. Ever since, new ships of ANY design I build at that space port come into existence with no fuel at all, and the refuel/repair button in the unit card in the lower left corner of the screen can't be clicked. Right click menus do allow refueling at other normal destinations like gas mining stations and other colonies, but not the homeworld even though the space port there is fully functional in every other way and the cargo tab says both fuel types are stocked there in copious quantities. I can't figure out how to fix this bug, and it's about to make me give up on this save.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Garfu posted:

Rimworld is a VERY good game and the modding community is awesome and large. I put about 400 hours in with just these mods:

I really want to get into Rim World but the hour I tried it I just couldn't get into it. This is tempting to make me want to try it again. What are some of the mods that make life easier?

edit: Has anyone tried Stationeers yet? It looks fun in a complex space ship survival. I've heard it compared to SS13 but I've never played it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finished Prey last night. Game had a strong start and a strong finish, and a pretty solid environment to explore in between, but man does it drag in the second half (hitting rock bottom, for me, with the coral node mission). Still a pretty good game overall though.

I'd say more but it's kind of a hard game to talk about without delving elbow-deep into spoilers.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's alright, but it feels rather directionless and the pressures of survival in the game are kinda high concept insidious killers in the form of poor gas control rather than the typical aliens or raiders that base building games tend to focus on.

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a lot of fun if you like base-building type games and they are adding content at a pretty quick pace. I'll buy anything Klei makes, so it was an instant-purchase even if I don't currently play it regularly.
Alright, might check it out a little later then when there's more content to play around with.

I got burned by Don't Starve, but more because I'm not a fan of survival-crafting games...which before anyone says, "Then why did you buy it," Don't Starve was the game that made me realize I didn't like them. I'm still fond of base-building though, so I'll keep Oxygen on my radar.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think Factorio's stuff is drab, dull, and overdetailed, it reminds me too much of late 90s RTS...I just don't like the aesthetic.

This is entirely what I meant, said better than I ever could, thanks.

(for some resolution, I'm playing the DLC of Dungeons 2 I've had for ages and never bothered finishing. A bit more combaty than I want, but whatever, it seems like I've played to death the Heavy Hitters in terms of what I'm interested in right now.)

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Det_no posted:

Hidden Folks
Huge bummer. Everything I read about this game and everything people told me about it made it sound like it was Where's Waldo but for the modern era. It's not. I used to love hidden stuff books when I was a kid so this should have been perfect but the thing that those books had that Hidden Folks does not is simply visually interesting stuff. Let's just use Waldo as an example:

You don't even have to bother looking for the guy, just look at the pages. You'll quickly notice that poo poo is full of gags and interesting stuff happening, one of my faves being that subtle gag right at the center of the bottom border: a distracted worker mistakenly cutting a hose that then sprays water onto a floral skirt and somehow makes the flowers bloom rather than just lay wilted like in all the other skirts. THAT single bit of throwaway gag is more clever than every single massive scene of copy-pasted and just slightly tweaked assets in Hidden Folks, no matter how much the latter might move. Old hidden stuff books had fun things to look at. Hidden Folks just has clutter.

I can't find him.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I can only find a bunch of fake Wallys, this is an outrage

also that's a shame to hear about Hidden Folks

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I could be mistaken, but I think he's in the lower right, just above the camera.

Also, I'm digging Open Sorcery.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah! You're right, there he is, that old Wally

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One of the waldo knockoffs is center right, near the man sweeping a pile of musical notes

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hidden Folks, a game notoriously devoid of a thousand little gags on every screen.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I finally finished A Hat in Time just now. Definitely is the game Yooka-Laylee wishes it was, and just so much better. Camera is actually not-annoying, some of the levels are good, art is cool music is also right for the setting (theres even a windmill level with music that apes Song of Storms from Z64).

One of the good and bad things is it's not really a collect-a-thon, the only item you can really tell if you collect at Time Pieces which are pretty straightforward and well marked. So progress is pretty much zero-gating and you don't feel like you need to explore everything, but at the same time, lacking OCD-esque collectathon elements kinda made it feel like it lacked just a little bit. Other complaint is the first two worlds is def the most front-loaded and fleshed out story/lively wise, then the fourth feels like they ran out of time (despite being in development for like 4 years) and just threw in Free Roam and called it that. The mustache-girl is also only mentioned in the first-world and felt like she could have been more reoccurring.

Anyways fun game to get stoned as hell and play. Would recommend for anyone looking for that N64 3D action-platformer throwback with all the working amenities of a modern game that you'd want to have; and/or just looking for a whimsical relaxing game to get baked and play.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Rock of Ages 2 really bigger and boulder than the original?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Rock of Ages 2 really bigger and boulder than the original?

Yes, and it owns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hogama posted:

Also, I'm digging Open Sorcery.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

The prettiest ASMR simulator I've played this year, I got about 8 hours playtime out of it and feel I got my $20 worth.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
You do not know true videogame suffering until you've reached the orange.

That being said, Getting Over It is fair, albeit brutal. A lot of the game progression lies in understanding the mechanics and their execution, not just in being incredibly dexterous.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 29, 2017

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Det_no posted:

I guess you all should go and buy Bot Vice/other games by the same dev. If not for the huge savings then later in the year, so the guy doesn't have to end up living in a cardboard box.
On the one handing reading this means I'll feel slightly guilty for buying their games for under £2 combined. On the other hand, that's a really big saving vs their previous pricing...

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Kinda weird that they did it that way, isn't it a lot more effective to do $10 $0.50 during the winter sale than doing $1 $0.50 would be? Seems to me a lot of games on Steam keep their base price artificially high just so they can have big discounts which are psychologically pleasing to prospective buyers.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

I think I mentioned this before, sorry, but if I'm looking for a domestic/no-outside-threats builder simulator that doesn't have downward spirals as a "feature", am I setting myself up for disappointment with Oxygen Not Included? It seems like something I've been looking for lately, but sometimes I read stories about ONI where Bob got upset and decided to break X which caused Y to fail which caused everything to go to pieces.

I mean, that poo poo is fine if I can just revert to an older save and prevent it / prevent the game from rolling the potential for it, but I worry that's the :airquote: charm :airquote: of games like ONI.

Kingdoms and Castles will probably fit your needs. It's a super chill version of Banished

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D

It's good to see more people getting it. I would've not noticed this game if it weren't for this thread. Now I'm looking forward to the sequel!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dodoman posted:

Kingdoms and Castles will probably fit your needs. It's a super chill version of Banished

I was eyeing that too; how's it compare? Banished was fun while it lasted but was pretty easy to 'solve'.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I was eyeing that too; how's it compare? Banished was fun while it lasted but was pretty easy to 'solve'.

It's even easier than Banished. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Amazon has a "sale" for digital goods. It's kind of funny how bad they've been since Tony got promoted. Amazon sales we hardly knew ya.

RIP