Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress swords.We've got piledrivers now.:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is a hell of a ride

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Of all the things that have happened in this timeskip, Eren's hypercompetency is the most unnerving.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
To be fair he still jobbed the fight.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Holy poo poo y'all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah this entire arc has done a great job at justifying the series overall. Like I could understand some of the hate initially when it seemed like it wouldn't pay off on a lot of its promises and the artwork was just abysmal, but man, it's really sold a ton of its earlier premises and the artwork has improved loving DRAMATICALLY since the early chapters. Like that two-pager with the Warhammer Titan forming up and the Attack Titan glancing over was downright majestic compared to some early dramatic shots. Humans are still dodgy most of the time though, albeit still better than they have been.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I remember when Tomino was all "the art in this manga is kind of garbo" in an interview and the story got picked up in the West, and a bunch of western kids who only watched the anime started poo poo-talking him about that because the anime looks solid.

But no, Tomino was right.

At least Isayama's got more art practice under his belt now.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
We still haven’t seen Armin. The horror is only beginning for Marley.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Conspiratiorist posted:

To be fair he still jobbed the fight.

Yeah, but this was all according to keikaku.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Hate-Senpai posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Not emptyquoting.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This is the face of a man who knew exactly what he was doing every step of that scene.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Millions posted:

At the same time, Mikasa's words very clearly indicate there's some kind of rift among some of the Paradis forces, so I'm interested in seeing that fleshed out. I'm sure there's a large contingent that wanted to continue isolating themselves on Paradis, and Eren's faction wanted to take the fight to the Marleyans since they know the Marleyans will never leave them alone.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Xarbala posted:

I remember when Tomino was all "the art in this manga is kind of garbo" in an interview and the story got picked up in the West, and a bunch of western kids who only watched the anime started poo poo-talking him about that because the anime looks solid.

But no, Tomino was right.

At least Isayama's got more art practice under his belt now.

Isayama's people are pretty janky, but at the same time they have become incredibly expressive. Eren has said very little and communicated tons, just from his facial expressions. Pages 7 to 9 looked weird as a reflection of reality, but I felt it did a great job of portraying the sense of panic within the crowd and the weight of a human stampede.

Just look at that. That first panel looks like an ocean wave about to swallow Udo whole.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 29, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Poor Udo and Zofia.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Mikasa looking like she's ready to go fight some silicon beings and safeguard in that new uniform.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kyte posted:

Isayama's people are pretty janky, but at the same time they have become incredibly expressive. Eren has said very little and communicated tons, just from his facial expressions. Pages 7 to 9 looked weird as a reflection of reality, but I felt it did a great job of portraying the sense of panic within the crowd and the weight of a human stampede.

Just look at that. That first panel looks like an ocean wave about to swallow Udo whole.
I agree, I think his art has progressed to the point where any "jankyness" with drawn people is either charming or effective like above. Kinda like how there was a charm to early era off model Simpsons.

I don't really have much of a reaction for this chapter, in the sense it's only like "HELL YEAH!" over and over

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Millions posted:

We still have no idea what ended up happening to Annie and the female titan so she could possibly show up as well.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
That was the quickest chapter ever. It felt like only a few pages long. It's just so good.

I hope that's the Warhammer Titan one and done. It had a cool design and a lot of set up but it was introduced so late in the story that having it stick around any longer would just detract from the characters we're invested in. It got its spectacular showing in crushing Eren's head, but for it to be annihilated by Mikasa's surprise attack is a good an ending as you could hope.

Also, I'm onto your tricks Isayama:

In It For The Tank posted:

That panel gave me some serious "Reiner gets crushed by the Female Titan" vibes. Pieck running up and hugging the guy let her get close enough to whisper something to him. She might have been suspicious about the person she and Porco were following after quizzing him about the beard (which might be fake) and decided to warn her comrade in a way that wouldn't alert the guard leading them into a trap.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Holy poo poo what a chapter. Warhammer owns.

You'd think Marley would make a few 3dmg suits. This is the 4th human controlled titan taken down by it, and now they're even flanking tank lines. Or maybe the jetpack gas is only found on Paradis.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Interestingly, it seems they've somehow eliminated the wires, so they're straight up jetpacks now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Millions posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't there but in the harbor, with the plan to destroy all the moored Marleyan fleet, making a critical strike before the war starts. PEARL HARBOR (THIS TIME SUCCESSFUL)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

drat that was insane. Presumably, they were counting on Eren eating Warhammer at the beginning, so maybe the ensuing Miksa intervention was an elaborate backup plan. It's kind of amazing how woefully unprepared Marley was for an attack. I get the impression Zeke and Reiner did a horrible job warning them and conveying all the poo poo they experienced on Paradis. Anyway, an amazing chapter.

Also, random question, did they ever explain why or if Historia's sister visited Eren at the very beginning of the story? Did that actually happen or does he simply have her memories in him now as he gained the Coordinator power?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Welp, I have the weirdest boner right now.

What a great payoff.

From how the panic in the crowd is portrayed (not only there are casualties because of Eren's attack, it's realistic to show people trampling each other) with all the expressions of panic and shock, Gabi's traumatized expression, to the surprise we have already the Warhammer Titan fight, and with a cool power (it can make stuff from bone? look well, and you will see beyond doing the amor-clothing thing and the hammer, she makes little spikes in the ground to immobilize Eren), to of course, a new cliffhanger:
Mikasa pleads him to come home, instead of saying "the plan is going well, let's move to the next phase" or anything like that. It seems this isn't exactly a plan that all the main group supported?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Kyte posted:

Interestingly, it seems they've somehow eliminated the wires, so they're straight up jetpacks now.

It's weird, the first time we see them going over the street with the crowd running away there are clearly wires, but later on I don't see them using any.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

iamsosmrt posted:

Also, random question, did they ever explain why or if Historia's sister visited Eren at the very beginning of the story? Did that actually happen or does he simply have her memories in him now as he gained the Coordinator power?

If you mean his dream in Chapter 1, that was Mikasa. Speculatively a vision from the future.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
give armin the warhammer titan :smug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

iamsosmrt posted:

She did not. He just had a vision of her as a result of getting the power. Unless you are referring to a different event.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I wonder if the Warhammer titan helped build the walls. It's ability seems to be highly refined hardening sculpting. It's even erecting spikes in the ground.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kyte posted:

Nope they're using them.

In the scene where they fly over the warriors you see them being used.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Some of them used wires while flying over the buildings but Mikasa didn't used any. And one of the soldiers is doing a front flip with his jetpack while blowing up the tank. I guess they go Spider Man mode while travelling but become Iron Man in combat.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The wires seem to be coming from their hands this time so I guess their guns double as hookshots or something. I guess wires are faster and/or more fuel efficient over longer distances.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

tiistai posted:

The wires seem to be coming from their hands this time so I guess their guns double as hookshots or something.

That's the same technology Kenny and his crew were using, remember?

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
We still spoilering stuff? Because I'm interpreting "I'm thankful that everyone came for me" as indicating this was a volunteer only suicide mission the government and Mikasa didn't approve of but the whole gang of regulars showed up in the end.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Aumanor posted:

That's the same technology Kenny and his crew were using, remember?

I didn't, that's cool.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

warhammer titans creation power looks like it follows magnetic lines of force. could be the invisible "paths"(mentioned a while back) that are connected with titan shifter power are utilized for ranged effect by the warhammer titan

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 30, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well that's certainly not what I expected for the Warhammer titan's design. Seems like an anti-titan shifter?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RatHat posted:

Well that's certainly not what I expected for the Warhammer titan's design. Seems like an anti-titan shifter?

It seems a bit a Titan with spandex like a superhero (including semi-hidden face) which is pretty funny!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
That was pretty baller.

Is the War Hammer Titan the first one that can speak? (Or did Monkey also speak, I can't remember)

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

That was pretty baller.

Is the War Hammer Titan the first one that can speak? (Or did Monkey also speak, I can't remember)

Beast, Cart and Ymir's version of Jaw Titan could all speak at least to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

PaganGoatPants posted:

That was pretty baller.

Beast titan can speak, Yimir spoke while in jaws titan form, ordinary titans can speak if snapped out of their daze by some external shock (one spoke of yimir in an extra chapter, a titan that was probably Connie's mother welcomed Connie home).