Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seinfeld would be about 20% better if it were exactly the same except it was named Costanza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Was there a thread for Godless, or was it just discussed in here? Because I just finished it and holy poo poo was it good (minus one kind of nagging loose end that probably bothers me more than it should).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bring back old gbs posted:

It's really weird it exists, but enough people watch laugh track shows on Netflix, so it tripped their RatingsBot algorithm, so one of their ProducerBots greenlit the series.

Hell I bet all those algorithm-created Elsa Spiderman Fights Infinity War Frozen on Youtube videos are just Netflix bots learning how to create their own content from thin air without crapping up their own network. It'll eventually learn to homogenize a hundred sitcom scripts into one scientifically funny 22 minute block of television and only at that point will a human have a hand in the content creation process when they stare dead eyed into a lens to read the lines.

The machine-generated Scrubs script could plausibly pass for an episode of Scrubs.

Calaveron posted:

Man I’m still fuming over the single episode of the ranch I watched. I mean there’s a scene where Sam Elliot and a lady were having HEE-larious dialogue while Danny Masterson and Ashton Kutcher are just frittering away on their cellphones to the side and all I’m thinking is I am 100% sure they’re for real looking stuff up on their phones because what self respecting actor can possibly expend any effort on this garbage

Well, people finally realized at some point that neither of them are very good actors, so they've gotta take what they can get.

Sam Elliot is in it though? I guess my theory that he can elevate the worst poo poo to at least the level of "watchable" has finally been shattered.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 29, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/946801894399365120

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Are those vague descriptions of the new season? Because I want to watch the toilet episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Are those vague descriptions of the new season? Because I want to watch the toilet episode.

I’ll tell you that I just watched USS Callister and it’s pretty drat good. Ending was a little easy, but other than that, good poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the first episode is a movie-length Star Trek parody :getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Nah he's just riffing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

That’s a little...actually, yeah, let’s go with that. Not that the actual product is mind blowing, but I had fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Nah he's just riffing.

Nothing can properly convey my disappointment.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I’ll tell you that I just watched USS Callister and it’s pretty drat good. Ending was a little easy, but other than that, good poo poo.

It balances out the holiday special that had a similar plot device sooo :shrug:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

theflyingexecutive posted:

It balances out the holiday special that had a similar plot device sooo :shrug:

I’m not necessarily talking about the happy ending. I’m talking about Daly’s death, which was a.) unclear about how it happened, and b.) less interesting than keeping him alive. I read some reactions in the Black Mirror thread that chalked it up to narrative convenience—if Daly got out, he’d just re-collect everyone’s DNA and start again—but I think that discounts the fact that Nan now KNOWS he’s been collecting the DNA of his co-workers. You’d have to massage it a bit to account for the fact that Nan broke into his apartment, but leaving Daly alive with nothing would’ve been a much more fitting ending for the guy who refused to kill anyone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BM: I think it was probably timed out so he was stuck in the game or some void space over the Christmas holiday (which they specifically note is two weeks or smth) and he dies due to lack of food and water because he can’t jack out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

What the gently caress?

I need to catch up on BM...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Well The Orville did a way better job handling a Black Mirror plot (what if Reddit but too much???) than Black Mirror itself so maybe it'll work in reverse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ep 1 of new Black Mirror was real good. on to 2.

i'm thinking jesse plemons for the inevitable docudrama about philip seymour hoffman

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a reminder that there is a thread for Black Mirror so I don't want to see any more spoiler filled posts about it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I haven't seen any of Black Mirror, but from what I understand its like a modern Twilight Zone? There isn't any serialization right, so I can just dive in with the new season?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

swickles posted:

I haven't seen any of Black Mirror, but from what I understand its like a modern Twilight Zone? There isn't any serialization right, so I can just dive in with the new season?

Yes!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

I'd say its more like a modern Outer Limits in that its way more lurid and the social commentary is nowhere near as smart or insightful, but yes to both points.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also always about modern technology.

And most of it is bad so you will just want to jump around anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

It's also always about modern technology.

And most of it is bad so you will just want to jump around anyway.

Yeah, the hot/miss ratio hasn’t been fantastic for me but I’m definitely gonna see if anything in the new season grabs my attention

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just watch 15 million merits, White Christmas, and San junipero.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone know if there's any episodes in the new season as good as San Junipero? I like Black Mirror but it's super inconsistent and there's yet to be an entire season I've loved all the way through

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Trekish episode is not good.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

Anyone know if there's any episodes in the new season as good as San Junipero? I like Black Mirror but it's super inconsistent and there's yet to be an entire season I've loved all the way through

There aren't. One or two are close but which ones they are will vary based on your preferences.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought the first two episodes of S4 are two of the series’s best, personally. Not as good as 15 Million Merits or San Junipero, but not boring or twist reliant as the more middling ones.

I don’t know if I’d call the first ep a full Star Trek parody, per se. More of a deconstruction of sorts.

Also, while there isn’t any serialization, but there are some fun nods that link episodes together between seasons.

I’m halfway through the third ep and as someone that works in insurance I’m unreasonably happy that an adjuster is a big focus of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you have Hulu they put up a documentary about the rise and fall of the Dana Carvey Show called Too Funny to Fail which is really good even if you don't have strong feelings about the show itself just because so many huge, great comedians appear on it. The basic thesis is that they managed to wrangle a supergroup of great comedians and then wound up in the timeslot immediately after Home Improvement which wound up sinking it since it was so edgy and experimental and out there that the family audience had no idea how to react to a show that opened with a multi-breasted Bill Clinton nursing puppies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDjnAdczQI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Too Funny To Fail was a very fascinating watch

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The two Stephens tripping over themselves to say that the other one was the better comedian was great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if you're not feeling the new season of black mirror, feel free to skip to episode 4 which is one of the best of the entire series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

if you're not feeling the new season of black mirror, feel free to skip to episode 4 which is one of the best of the entire series

The first Netflix season has one good episode so I expected the new one to be the same.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What horrible sin cursed world do we live in that there exists a show based on the premise of the insufferable, most unlikeable nerdman on TV as a child

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
While Black Mirror can be somewhat inconsistent I have never regretted watching an episode. I also strongly disagree that last season only had 1 good episode. I really enjoyed San Junipero, Shut Up And Dance, and Hated in the Nation (although this was a drop for me from the other 2). Even the other 3 episodes were OK (Playtest was my favorite out of those). Overall it has the same consistency as other shows of its type (Twilight Zone and Outer Limits). The only difference is when it’s great, it’s really freaking great.

That said I love this type of show, so what can I say.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 30, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

What horrible sin cursed world do we live in that there exists a show based on the premise of the insufferable, most unlikeable nerdman on TV as a child

I refuse to watch it but I'm curious how often they make reference to future events that the characters could have no possible knowledge of.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rhyno posted:

I refuse to watch it but I'm curious how often they make reference to future events that the characters could have no possible knowledge of.

The one episode I watched, the most excruciating 20 minutes of my life and I’ve had broken, dislocated bones popped back in their place, didn’t do any of that annoying winking and nodding so there’s that
Pondy is wasted on that show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Haha that was Aaron Paul at the end of USS Callister.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nate fisher posted:

While Black Mirror can be somewhat inconsistent I have never regretted watching an episode. I also strongly disagree that last season only had 1 good episode. I really enjoyed San Junipero, Shut Up And Dance, and Hated in the Nation (although this was a drop for me from the other 2). Even the other 3 episodes were OK (Playtest was my favorite out of those). Overall it has the same consistency as other shows of its type (Twilight Zone and Outer Limits). The only difference is when it’s great, it’s really freaking great.

That said I love this type of show, so what can I say.

I know I'm in the minority here but I think the only "bad" episode is "The Waldo Moment" (even if it was eerily prescient). But, like you, I might just be biased towards liking moralistic sci-fi anthology shows.

This season's "Crocodile" is kinda eeeeh too.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calaveron posted:

Why does the child version wear collared shirts and bowties all the time when the adult version's wardrobe entirely consists of "distressed" DC comic T-shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JethroMcB posted:

Why does the child version wear collared shirts and bowties all the time when the adult version's wardrobe entirely consists of "distressed" DC comic T-shirts

We can only hope the show ends in a horrible tragedy that explains this.

• Locked thread