Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

looks like cpuid ran into a few cpuegos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nobody can provide a patch because nobody has one of these fukcing museum pieces to hand for testing with

but then a modern linux distribution will, in the course of being compiled from source, check for the existence of unistd.h approximately 400,000 times, so actually i suppose this is perfectly in keeping with the rest of the system.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

nobody can provide a patch because nobody has one of these fukcing museum pieces to hand for testing with

but then a modern linux distribution will, in the course of being compiled from source, check for the existence of unistd.h approximately 400,000 times, so actually i suppose this is perfectly in keeping with the rest of the system.

the patch is really loving simple: execute the check for cpuid support, and exit(1) if the support check fails.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

except the filer did have one of those fukcing museum pieces to hand and they did test it and someone is sending a patch lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bear in mind this is a runtime issue. systemd is dumping core if an x86 cpu lacks cpuid. that's not good.

if poo poo doesn't compile on your 486, i don't really care

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

LuigiThirty make the patch

and also make systemd draw rotating cubes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the patch is really loving simple: execute the check for cpuid support, and exit(1) if the support check fails.

no, I’m pretty sure the patch should be “if the chip in question doesn’t support CPUID, return some default value” not “exit(1)”

(probably something I should have done in my patch to add 68040 cache support to MINIX)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eschaton posted:

make the linux kernel qr code bounce around and morph like the windows screensaver

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tbh that's cool that someone is trying it out on a 486 in the first place

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

from skimming the patch it looks like theyre just using cpuid to infer whether systemd is running in a VM anyway: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/7758/files

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

no, I’m pretty sure the patch should be “if the chip in question doesn’t support CPUID, return some default value” not “exit(1)”

ok this is fine too

just, core dumping is definitely the wrong behavior

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

eschaton posted:

dnf install systemd-skulltrumpetd

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

dnf install systemd-skulltrumpetd

slot it into compizconfig next to Paint Fire On The Screen

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
xiaomi laptop trip report:

everything works on arch, including dynamic gpu with bumblebee

coming from arch on a macbook air, it’s simple

overall the quality/specs can’t be beat for 850 usd

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

looks like cpuid ran into a few cpuegos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the sound for my lovely-rear end hobby game that im writing is really lagged on linux. works fine on windows.

its honestly probably the version of sdl . I still blame linux because, you know, audio

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the sound for my lovely-rear end hobby game that im writing is really lagged on linux. works fine on windows.

its honestly probably the version of sdl . I still blame linux because, you know, audio

if you mean that it cuts out you probably just want to up the number of samples requested with sdl_openaudio. windows is actually pretty good by default on that stuff, as the thread doing the audio operates under a separate scheduler (the multimedia class scheduler service) tuned for that task

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if you mean that it cuts out you probably just want to up the number of samples requested with sdl_openaudio. windows is actually pretty good by default on that stuff, as the thread doing the audio operates under a separate scheduler (the multimedia class scheduler service) tuned for that task

:cheers: ill check it out

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Who do I talk to if I want an ubuntu desktop environment built around i3. I know the whole "Linux means choice" crowd particularly glom onto i3, but why can't my one choice be i3 and the rest of my choices be the standard network manager and keyboard shortcut handler.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TimWinter posted:

Who do I talk to if I want an ubuntu desktop environment built around i3. I know the whole "Linux means choice" crowd particularly glom onto i3, but why can't my one choice be i3 and the rest of my choices be the standard network manager and keyboard shortcut handler.

kde will allow you to replace its window manager

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

TimWinter posted:

Who do I talk to if I want an ubuntu desktop environment built around i3.

you need to talk to a shrink

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

you need to talk to a shrink

beaten

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

TimWinter posted:

turns out "linux is a choice" is a meme perpetuated by people building inherently broken, unstable systems. they don't allow you to choose network manager because they think it's bad because it has a point-and-click gui.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

turns out "linux is a choice" is a meme perpetuated by people building inherently broken, unstable systems. they don't allow you to choose network manager because they think it's bad because it has a point-and-click gui.

the biggest problem with network manager is that it doesn't have a point and click gui. it presents a very shiny api, and it comes out of the box with some extremely unfriendly CLI tools. (e.g. it is impossible to provide a wpa passphrase at the command line!)
  • the GUIs are provided by kde and gnome.
  • each GUI is impossible to use without a complete kde/gnome environment
  • neither GUI has standardized on anything
  • each GUI has its own connection editor, independently parsing and editing the config files on disk
  • each GUI has a different secret store, because the n-m API expects secrets to be passed down a pipe

the whole thing is kind of a mess. i mean, the api is fine, and network-manager the daemon is really helpful, but it would have been nice to have a more complete reference set of config tools!

tl;dr: nmcli is badly incomplete and this makes me sad

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i thought network manager was initially gui only

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
no, the guis have always been external to n-m. and the tools that actually came with it, the command line, suck. it is effectively gui-only because the reference tool sucks. but the guis come from outside developers who tie them to other products

end result: everything sucks, burn it down

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://islinuxaboutchoice.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=nmcli+command+line+passphrase

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it comes out of the box with some extremely unfriendly CLI tools.

Sounds like Linux in a nutshell.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In the continuing saga of "systemd is cool and good":

systemd decided after version 234 to drop Autotools support entirely and go to pure meson/ninja.

This caused a huge headache for me because I help with the systemd package with BuildRoot.

Problems:
- Meson wasn't even supported in BuildRoot until last week.
- When Meson was merged in, it created a broken cross-compile config
- systemd no longer allowed building unit tests to be skipped.
- Converting all of the options from Autotools to meson
- Needing python now to build systemd (meson and ninja both require it)

Once that was all done, I did some timing tests:

Compile times for systemd-236 with meson:
real 0m54,483s
user 5m6,496s
sys 0m24,760s

Compile times for systemd-236 with Autotools:
real 3m25,001s
user 10m39,520s
sys 1m10,672s

Conclusion: systemd converted to meson because they can't handle using Autotools.

I did some digging and that the Autotools build was spending a huge amount of time running the libtool shell script.

In conclusion: systemd is cool and good.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
autotools is trash hth

systemd is far from the only thing that uses meson and there's a big shift in that direction

why do you need bleeding edge systemd in your embedded system, nothing terribly interesting has happened there in the last year or two

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm glad you also think your computer has better things to do than run libtool 8,000 times. happy new year

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

TimWinter posted:

Ubuntu has something like minimal install, choose that and go from there. It might be called network or server install, I forgot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

autotools is trash hth

systemd is far from the only thing that uses meson and there's a big shift in that direction

why do you need bleeding edge systemd in your embedded system, nothing terribly interesting has happened there in the last year or two

Dynamic users are cool and good.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i like cmake

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

nobody likes CMake but lol if you don’t accept it as best of a bad lot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah that's true

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Sapozhnik posted:

autotools is trash hth

did they fix the thing where if you have a hosed up rtc pid0 will crash on boot and leave the system unfixable without a full reflash and possibly a clear of the external rtc cache

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phobeste posted:

did they fix the thing where if you have a hosed up rtc pid0 will crash on boot and leave the system unfixable without a full reflash and possibly a clear of the external rtc cache

No, because the main issue was awful kernel vendor drivers.
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1143

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lmao if people think old-style init is in any way "defensive programming"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's defensive in that the programmer is probably extremely defensive about it