Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I got Venture Bros. Seasons 5 and 6 for Christmas. I haven't watched the show in a while but my memory of Shore Leave being camp gay was relegated to being just part of his character and maybe an occasional joke.

No. Literally everything out of his mouth is him hitting on his straight coworkers and being Faaabulooouuus. It gets old quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Doctor Spaceman posted:

National Lampoon's European Vacation was on the other night and it's hard to find things in it that have aged well.

*stares at comically oversized sausage* Sigh...I miss Brad...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

grittyreboot posted:

So I got Venture Bros. Seasons 5 and 6 for Christmas. I haven't watched the show in a while but my memory of Shore Leave being camp gay was relegated to being just part of his character and maybe an occasional joke.

No. Literally everything out of his mouth is him hitting on his straight coworkers and being Faaabulooouuus. It gets old quick.
At least he ends up in a committed relationship with another guy who's really into him :kimchi:

(Which doesn't really excuse his poor treatment in the early episodes.)

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I Like Trucking was also an excuse for Rowan Atkinson to use his new lorry license.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

grittyreboot posted:

What I like about Shore Leave is that he's ridiculously camp gay but instead of being a self-involved castrated sissy, which is typical of the camp gay caricature, he's a hyper-competent murder machine.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Regarding SNL, I think about the only bits that age well are certain ads, although that may also rely on how familiar you are with what they’re lampooning. An early 90s one riffed on the popular Calvin Klein fragrance ads but as a cleaning product:

“A little club soda will get that out.”
*dramatic head turn* “LIAR!”

“Three-legged jeans” will always make me smile. “Hey, it’s no dumber than acid-washed!”

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Darts was incredibly popular on TV in the UK in the 80s and the players were allowed to drink and smoke while they played.
Not the Nine O'Clock News helped end that nonsense with this sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgap_CzceBM

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't think clownpenis.fart is still funny I just don't know what to say.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Regarding SNL, I think about the only bits that age well are certain ads, although that may also rely on how familiar you are with what they’re lampooning. An early 90s one riffed on the popular Calvin Klein fragrance ads but as a cleaning product:

“Three-legged jeans” will always make me smile. “Hey, it’s no dumber than acid-washed!”

The Cartier didn't age well at all, but it was still funny.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Up until the mid 90s over 50% of American households had at least one gun, and it's only in the last few years it's dropped below 40%.

kupachek posted:

Oh hey, that's me!

If you are only counting cities, you'll have a much lower number of owners.

Head to a more rural area (including outskirts of some cities) and it'll jump.

This has nothing to do with shows not aging well though.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a whole gun ownership derail, I just don't like this kind of false statement going unchallenged:

Jedit posted:

When the average American owns more guns than an apocalyptic death cultist, you can't really say you don't have a problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shore Leave makes a bit more sense being mainly a lampooning of how homerotic and otherwise ridiculous GI Joe was. Flashbacks to the 80s OSI even have a team themed after the Village People. (or actually the Village People. Venture Bros is like that. Two supervillains are implied to be Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper having faked their deaths) Not that it helps much, but. He does provide a contrast and foil to Brock Samson playing interestingly with other masculine stereotypes.

Al is fun because he's one of the few characters on the show with common sense, and his own POV episode is actually really interesting, with his ability to tell when people are lying but running into a mystery where the facts don't add up but everyone is telling the truth.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The best alcohol-related SNL sketch is AM Ale.

AP confirmed it, don't bother them about it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

What I like about Shore Leave is that he's ridiculously camp gay but instead of being a self-involved castrated sissy, which is typical of the camp gay caricature, he's a hyper-competent murder machine.

I still feel this is basically a product of the times (the same stock character pops up elsewhere--see Ray Gillette on Archer, for example) and is going to feel more and more dated as time goes on. I feel it's likely coming from a place of love on Venture Bros. but it's still probably not going to look great in 5 or 10 years.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ray is the best character on Archer and needs more screen time.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Darts was incredibly popular on TV in the UK in the 80s and the players were allowed to drink and smoke while they played.
Not the Nine O'Clock News helped end that nonsense with this sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgap_CzceBM

I never knew that about Not the Nine O'Clock News, but that's still a drat funny sketch on top of having a point.

But since we're hitting the high points of the show, this still has legs today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQamw4xxxHY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If you can't see what the problem is with Apu, a cartoon man in a world of stereotype people, being the most three dimensional Indian character on television, I'm not sure what to say. That's what The Problem With Apu talks about, it's that Apu was one of the only representations of Indian folks on TV for a while, and he was written and voiced by white dudes who mostly made 'lol Indian people are different/cheap/tacky' jokes. It unintentionally defined how Indian folks are to a lot of Americans, and it led to a whole generation of white Americans thinking it was funny calling their Indian friends/neighbors 'Apu' and then calling them overly sensitive if they didn't like it. When it was popular, it unfortunately set a certain tone and defined interactions for white and Indian Americans culturally, which Indian folks have spent years getting over and trying to redefine.

And then you get pages of people arguing that he's not so bad because he owned the drat Kwik-E-Mart, so he's an entrepeneur! I mean drat guys, way to Miss The Point and be obtuse. It's about how even media that 'doesn't seem so bad' can have a cultural effect, even when you're just being casually ignorant instead of maliciously so.

I mean, part of why Apu is the most three-dimensional Indian character on television is because he's a remarkably three-dimensional character, though. Focusing on the Kwik-E-Mart at all is sort of missing a lot of his defenders' point; the character is given a full life outside of the Kwik-E-Mart that we see fairly often, and the jokes about his culture are (at least pre-Zombie Simpsons) almost never mean-spirited and seem to be coming from a place of familiarity, love and respect for Indian culture. It sucks that The Simpsons was one of the only representations of Indian people on TV and that a lot of dumb white people took the character as an excuse to make mean-spirited jokes, but... it's sort of hard for me to lay that at the show's feet when the show was genuinely trying really hard not to be lovely. It seems like that's more on the rest of TV for not following suit quickly enough.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Those were great, as was "Bad Idea Jeans" which they did around the same time, and also Colon Blow Cereal.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

WampaLord posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a whole gun ownership derail, I just don't like this kind of false statement going unchallenged:

Overall, the number of households with firearms at the time was considerably higher, so I don't doubt the averages. I remember a time when it was common to go visit someone and there would just be a couple rifles or shotguns sitting in the coat closet just inside the front door, or hanging on the walls. Not really "gun people" as the term applies today, but owners none the less.

But a lot of things have changed in the last 25 years. Honestly, the numbers are also skewed by people lying. If you get cold called by someone asking if you own firearms, do you really want to answer truthfully? Owning firearms, much like owning a plethora of other expensive goods makes you a target for thieves, and locks only keep out honest people.

To stay on topic, one show that aged poorly was "Sons of Guns". Arguably it was garbage right from the start, but being one of the few gunsmithing related shows it had a niche spot.

The fact that so many of the things they claimed had "neva been dun befoe" had, in fact been prototyped or done as production items became really obvious as time went on. Then there is the fact that the star was a triple hitter incestual pedophilic racist, and the daughter was also a screwed up individual who sat by and let her husband wallop her son (his stepson) with a belt.

Despite the abominations, they did have a couple neat guns though.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
How about these vulture bastards on storage wars feeding off human misery.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

How about these vulture bastards on storage wars feeding off human misery.

You know that's all faked, right?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Pretending to feed off human misery. Still.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Speaking of racism on the Simpsons, caught some episode from 2002 the other day that opens with them going to Springfield's Chinatown and it's full of poo poo like "Toys L Us"
Like, goddamn.

HopperUK posted:

Ray is the best character on Archer and needs more screen time.

Krieger is the best character, but yeah, agreed that Ray needs more focus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part about Ray is that is pretty much just how Adam Reed sounds when he talks normally.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My favorite is Pam but Ray and Krieger are also up there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I never knew that about Not the Nine O'Clock News, but that's still a drat funny sketch on top of having a point.

The "Completely Newscastered" on the scoreboard needs a bit of explanation, though. It's obviously rhyming slang for "plastered", but it came into use via ITN newsreader Reginald Bosanquet (also referred to by the song "Oh Bosanquet"). Bosanquet was suspected to be a heavy drinker because of his slurred delivery; after he died his co-presenter Anna Ford confirmed that he was an alcoholic and would often go on air drunk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have no idea how we should think "Stout Life" has aged. If nothing else, it has my single favourite line in the entirety of NTNON ("Organising plump discos, I suspect!").

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wyoming posted:

Speaking of racism on the Simpsons, caught some episode from 2002 the other day that opens with them going to Springfield's Chinatown and it's full of poo poo like "Toys L Us"
Like, goddamn.

I'm like a woke super bleeding heart leftist pinko who doesn't miss a pride parade and thinks we should accept infinity refugees but I just can't get worked up over accent jokes.

Like I can't imagine that being particularly insulting to Asians. As a monoglot American, the fact that someone speaks a second language with an accent still makes them better than me, language-wise.

I'll update my opinions if I hear that this is really a problem, but it seems like literally the lowest priority poo poo. Like Fa-ra-ra-ra-Ra in A Christmas Story... Those people were being really nice and in no way were the butt of anything.

If that was just a part of a larger insult I'd feel differently, but if it's accent alone... Ehh.

Can I keep my libcard?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have no idea how we should think "Stout Life" has aged. If nothing else, it has my single favourite line in the entirety of NTNON ("Organising plump discos, I suspect!").

It's aged pretty well. Obviously the sketch is a riff on gay rights and the landscape there has changed a bit. There's fewer closeted adults and thank God the "homo-er than thou" trendy gay seems to have died out - these days you can offer support for the GBLAT community without being part of it - but you've still got vociferous activists, people trying to reconcile their sexuality with their faith, and so on.

The whole sketch is full of great lines. "Stout people are afraid to stand up for fear they may never find their feet" is a classic, but the best line is subtle. Mel Smith says "Down these narrow streets a man must go". If you know your Raymond Chandler, you'll know that the line goes "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean". Substitute "narrow" for both instances and...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Bloop posted:

I'm like a woke super bleeding heart leftist pinko who doesn't miss a pride parade and thinks we should accept infinity refugees but I just can't get worked up over accent jokes.

Like I can't imagine that being particularly insulting to Asians. As a monoglot American, the fact that someone speaks a second language with an accent still makes them better than me, language-wise.

I'll update my opinions if I hear that this is really a problem, but it seems like literally the lowest priority poo poo. Like Fa-ra-ra-ra-Ra in A Christmas Story... Those people were being really nice and in no way were the butt of anything.

If that was just a part of a larger insult I'd feel differently, but if it's accent alone... Ehh.

Can I keep my libcard?

Racism is ok, gotcha

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

Racism is ok, gotcha

More like old misser of the point

Really more like I don't fit that into "racism" because it's merely a (supposedly humorous) observation about an accent, not a race. It also isn't insulting about anyone at all. Again, though, I'm open to hear about harm and change my mind.

The Bloop has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Dec 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

oldpainless posted:

Racism is ok, gotcha
But a poster doesn't find it personally offensive, so how can anyone else!

Edit: Wait then you go and make the it's not a race thing anyway point?

Lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Really more like I don't fit that into "racism" because it's merely a (supposedly humorous) observation about an accent, not a race. It also isn't insulting about anyone at all. Again, though, I'm open to hear about harm and change my mind.

It’s crazy that someone has to explain this, but many accents are associated with a particular race to the extent that it is impossible to disparage one without disparaging the other. Show me a joke that makes fun of people with chinese accents but not chinese people. I dare you.

EIDT: Seriously think about what you are saying. “This is okay because it is not a joke making fun of Asain people, but rather a joke making fun of a trait almost exclusively possessed by Asian people, and which is stereotypical of Asian people. It’s a real stretch to conflate the two!” This is literally what you are saying.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Dec 30, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It felt a lot like the humor in Big Trouble in Little China. As an east asian, neither of the movies offended me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Making a joke about an accent or "doing" an accent just doesn't seem disparaging to me I guess. Racism is about negative stereotypes or harm. It seems to dilute the term when it applies to acknowledging that an accent exists.

Multiple large latino organizations have said Speedy Gonzales is a cultural icon and not racist, for example. He is a positive role model but he does have a strong accent.

We poke fun at all sorts of accents that aren't race specific like "southern" and "new yorker" and "midwestern" and I don't see why "indian" or "chinese" is any different as long as that's all it is.

ONCE AGAIN I am concerned about racism, and want to understand. I am clearly not saying racism is OK or anything close and anyone saying I am is being disingenuous or moronic. Perhaps I am culturally blind to the harm it causes but I don't see a negative stereotype being perpetuated or anything in just using an accent or joking that German needs phlegm or saying "Sacre bleu" in a phony french accent. Is the foreign language dub game in Whose Line terribly racist? It's just gibberish with an accent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
When people defend their anti Muslim stance as them being against the religion not arabs do you nod along or what.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Bloop posted:

Making a joke about an accent or "doing" an accent just doesn't seem disparaging to me I guess. Racism is about negative stereotypes or harm. It seems to dilute the term when it applies to acknowledging that an accent exists.

Multiple large latino organizations have said Speedy Gonzales is a cultural icon and not racist, for example. He is a positive role model but he does have a strong accent.

We poke fun at all sorts of accents that aren't race specific like "southern" and "new yorker" and "midwestern" and I don't see why "indian" or "chinese" is any different as long as that's all it is.

ONCE AGAIN I am concerned about racism, and want to understand. I am clearly not saying racism is OK or anything close and anyone saying I am is being disingenuous or moronic. Perhaps I am culturally blind to the harm it causes but I don't see a negative stereotype being perpetuated or anything in just using an accent or joking that German needs phlegm or saying "Sacre bleu" in a phony french accent. Is the foreign language dub game in Whose Line terribly racist? It's just gibberish with an accent.
What a hill

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Allow me to demonstrate my point with two accents that, by pure happenstance and random chance, are associated with white people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like with most stereotypes, history and context matters. Asian accent jokes have a very long and very ugly history dating back to both shameless colonial exploitation of China and anti-Japanese WW2 propaganda which played up all manner of horrific stereotypes and slurs and was very widely disseminated.

Which also means they tend to be outdated and near incomprehensible to people who didn't grow up with such media (since most of it's been withdrawn from common circulation for being so drat racist) and thus age very poorly. Even modern Asian stereotypes are completely different now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Ariong posted:

It’s crazy that someone has to explain this, but many accents are associated with a particular race to the extent that it is impossible to disparage one without disparaging the other. Show me a joke that makes fun of people with chinese accents but not chinese people. I dare you.

EIDT: Seriously think about what you are saying. “This is okay because it is not a joke making fun of Asain people, but rather a joke making fun of a trait almost exclusively possessed by Asian people, and which is stereotypical of Asian people. It’s a real stretch to conflate the two!” This is literally what you are saying.

I can do some milquetoast observational humor about the running people over multiple times so you only have to pay for the burial vs. lifetime healthcare costs thing, but that's more of a bit vs. a nice self contained joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kupachek posted:

Owning firearms, much like owning a plethora of other expensive goods makes you a target for thieves, and locks only keep out honest people.

So having guns makes people rob you? If I was an American thief, I’d do my best to rob unarmed people: much less chance of getting shot.