Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

I wonder who'll pick Sano up after the Twins cut him.

Yankees or Cubs, if history has taught us anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Yankees or Cubs, if history has taught us anything.

I think the Cubs are sorted at 3B for a while tbh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

What about RF?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

Let me have my Chapman digs. :argh:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He's not getting cut. I'd imagine a 30-game suspension will be on order, though. Aroldis Chapman got 30 for a situation in which someone could have easily wound up dead, so I can't imagine him getting more than that, with counseling ordered on top of it.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 29, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Crazy Ted posted:

He's not getting cut. I'd imagine a 30-game suspension will be on order, though. Aroldis Chapman got 30 for a situation in which someone could have easily wound up dead, so I can't imagine him getting more than that, with counseling ordered on top of it.

Honestly I’d accept that as a fan if he complies and is not a repeat offender. And maybe even moves into advocacy/activism.

Something tells me he’s gonna fight it to the end though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He appears to already be a repeat offender

https://twitter.com/MichaelHolmdahl/status/946620730371985408

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jesus.

Welcome to the Rays, Miguel Sano.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What's going to make this a real fun shitshow is that aside from the usual "WHY DID THEY WAIT ALL DEES YEARS" crowd on Facebook, if you're unfortunate enough to use Social Media with any frequency you've probably already seen the "Well he's a Dominican half-monkey who probably has an eight-year-old's education LOL if you think they can keep their hands off women" screenshotted a few times on top of that*.

* Having relatives from far rural Wisconsin is a blast

Poque posted:

He appears to already be a repeat offender
Not a repeater in the "taking it to the level of physical assault" sense, but you can bet this will be used when weighing his punishment.

An article I read about this today also claimed that MLB is going to take his "background" into play here, which...that would look very bad for a number of different reasons, not least of which is the implicit suggestion that Hispanic/Caribbean men are far more prone to sexual misconduct than others.

I have a feeling this is going to get very complicated before the winter is over.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 30, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Not a repeater in the "taking it to the level of physical assault" sense

That we know of. What is confirmed is that he treats women like poo poo, whatever his initial statement said.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

That we know of. What is confirmed is that he treats women like poo poo, whatever his initial statement said.
Yes. I was just thinking in more of a disciplinary sense since harrassment and assault do get treated differently.

Whatever punishment he gets is definitely going to have to come with a lot of education/counseling/training attached to it. Likely his forfeited salary donated to anti-violence charities as well.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

I dig what they're doing this offseason. True, they are committing a lot of payroll to the pen, but it's not like they were going to sign a top tier starter to pitch in Coors, and anyway they have some promising young SPs already. If I'm the Rockies I'd rather have Davis+Shaw+McGee than pay a premium for Lance Lynn or something.

Plus I think you need a stacked bullpen in Colorado because no game is ever out of reach. The other team scores 6 in the 1st? Give it a few innings and the score will be like 9-8 Rockies.

Unless the Rockies sign a FA starter or trade for a starter, the only guy they would have making above league minimum in their starting rotation for at least the next two years would be Chad Bettis. He only made $1.5M in his first arb year. That may actually be the next three full seasons, I'd have to look at the service time for Jon Gray.

They do have the extra payroll flexibility to throw that kind of money at their pen, at least for a couple of years.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Jesus.

Welcome to the Rays, Miguel Sano.

Yeah I was gonna say, if we're going by history for this sort of thing...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Right now, the Cubs' rotation would project to be ... Lester / Hendricks / Quintana / Butler / Chatwood, right?

Jaysus.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Timby posted:

Right now, the Cubs' rotation would project to be ... Lester / Hendricks / Quintana / Butler / Chatwood, right?

Jaysus.

Montgomery would probably get the 5th slot at the moment with Jen-Ho Tseng and Butler as the AAA fallbacks.

Everything I’ve read seems to think the Cubs have 35-40 million to play with before the luxury tax would become a thing, so as we get closer to pitchers and catchers something has to give with the FA market.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Jaysus.

That top four is solid as hell though, remember Chatwood is a ~3 ERA pitcher away from Coors. Get Darvish or Cobb to kick out Butler and it's a legitimately fearsome rotation.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am definitely fearful of the cubsposting that rotation will bring.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Aww I was kinda hoping the Cubs would be able to keep Wade.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

Aww I was kinda hoping the Cubs would be able to keep Wade.

This makes me wonder, who are the last "top" free agents to stay put? Cespedes and Turner in 2016, but before that? I feel like the consensus "best" free agents almost always end up with a different team (though I could be forgetting an obvious one).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Pancakes posted:

This makes me wonder, who are the last "top" free agents to stay put? Cespedes and Turner in 2016, but before that? I feel like the consensus "best" free agents almost always end up with a different team (though I could be forgetting an obvious one).

might have to go all the way back to Holliday?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I thought Molina was a FA that ended up staying with the Cards. Or was it just a contract extension before he hit FA?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Miz Kriss posted:

I thought Molina was a FA that ended up staying with the Cards. Or was it just a contract extension before he hit FA?

He still had a year left I think when he signed his extension.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

Extension. He otherwise would have been a free agent this year. I don't think he's ever been a free agent and unless he decides to keep playing after 2020, he will never be a free agent in his entire career.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I dont know what to think about the Sano thing. I hope its another case like Kane where the whole thing turned out to be BS. Its a tricky time to be a fan of anything in 2017. Whether its music or movies or sports. Basically, these celebrities are also humans, and so 10-90% of them in a given group can turn out to be real assholes. I still listen to plenty of Stones and Bowie and watch NFL and MLB that has tons of domestic violence guys, so I'm a hypocrite too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

patonthebach posted:

I dont know what to think about the Sano thing. I hope its another case like Kane where the whole thing turned out to be BS. Its a tricky time to be a fan of anything in 2017. Whether its music or movies or sports. Basically, these celebrities are also humans, and so 10-90% of them in a given group can turn out to be real assholes. I still listen to plenty of Stones and Bowie and watch NFL and MLB that has tons of domestic violence guys, so I'm a hypocrite too.

So all these women are doing it for the attention then? :jerkbag:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

So all these women are doing it for the attention then? :jerkbag:

Where did you get that. Virtually all the complaints about sexual assault are legitimate. What are you smoking?

If it wasn't clear I am hopefully Sano didnt do anything wrong just like in the Kane case as id prefer a world where 1 less sexual assault occurred.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

patonthebach posted:

Kane's accuser withdrew her support for prosecution, which is a very long way away from "the whole thing turning out to be BS".

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Kane accusers's mom also tampered with the rape kit so,

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Julio Cruz posted:

Kane's accuser withdrew her support for prosecution, which is a very long way away from "the whole thing turning out to be BS".

Didnt the victims lawyer refusing to keep working the case because the family wasn't being honest with the lawyer? And the whole evidence tampering thing by the family.

edit : This seems to be a good unbiased summary from CNN. Doesn't seem like just a he said she said thing. The DA said

""The totality of the credible evidence -- the proof -- does not sufficiently substantiate the complainant's allegation that she was raped by Patrick Kane," Sedita said in a statement. "This so-called 'case' is rife with reasonable doubt."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/us/patrick-kane-no-charges/index.html

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 30, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There's this little voice in the back of my mind, possibly my conscience, telling me "this is going nowhere good."

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Extension. He otherwise would have been a free agent this year. I don't think he's ever been a free agent and unless he decides to keep playing after 2020, he will never be a free agent in his entire career.

Molina is currently second only to Mauer for longest tenured MLB player that has been with a single team.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My reading of the Kane thing is that there wasn't physical evidence and there was some confusing mess involving an unrelated evidence bag and accusations by the lawyer of evidence tampering that made the case basically impossible to try. That doesn't seem like it proves the accusations were false, as its entirely possible the victim simply had the bad luck (or sabotage) of a circus and didn't want it to get worse. But in the balance of "innocent until proven guilty" and "take all accusations seriously" this one seems like a draw.

I'm not sure its healthy or helpful to your argument to wave it like a flag of false accusers. People will infer a broader agenda.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tony Phillips posted:

Molina is currently second only to Mauer for longest tenured MLB player that has been with a single team.

Mauer will be a free agent next year barring an extension and will have earned $218,025,000 through 14 seasons, to his age 35 season with the Twins.
Molina will be a free agent in 2021 and will have earned $154,998,500 through a little over 15 seasons, to his age 37 season with the Cardinals.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also worth pointing out that in Sano's case, we've already had several other people speak out about a pattern of behavior involving Sano harassing women, which lends a lot of credence to Bissen's account.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Sano deserves a fair investigation but the fact that its such a public accusation, witnesses are named, and character accounts don't exactly present the behavior as uncharacteristic to Sano all does sort of push the scale a bit.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Mauer will be a free agent next year barring an extension and will have earned $218,025,000 through 14 seasons, to his age 35 season with the Twins.
Molina will be a free agent in 2021 and will have earned $154,998,500 through a little over 15 seasons, to his age 37 season with the Cardinals.

What's baffling to me is that neither of them seem like old veterans to me. What the Hell happened?

David Wright is 3rd and Felix is 4th on the list for God's sake. In my head Felix is still like 22 years old.

Getting old is weird.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, if we're going by history for this sort of thing...

Who was this, Josh Lueke?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't the Kane case the second time he'd had accusations?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I've made the point I wanted to make about just being hopeful that a baseball player didnt do a horrible thing.

I dont know Sano and I'm not a fan of him and dont know much either way. Just a lovely year with so many stars being outted as monsters. Outting is good and should continue. Especially with these guys of years of abuse on multiple victims. I hope something happens from NYPD or LAPD with weinstein and he is brought to justice. But anyways, me trying to compare other cases where it seems the accusations were false (or unprovable by law) and Sano just seems to have misconstrued my point. Im going to drop this discussion altogether, dont want it to sully up a good baseball thread.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tony Phillips posted:

What's baffling to me is that neither of them seem like old veterans to me. What the Hell happened?

David Wright is 3rd and Felix is 4th on the list for God's sake. In my head Felix is still like 22 years old.

Getting old is weird.

Time is a motherfucker. Yadi is already 18th all-time for games caught and has another 3 years to go. Even if he only caught 120 games per year for the remaining 3 years of his contract with the Cardinals (which would be the lowest other than an injury-shortened 2014 since 2007) he'd end up at 4th all time, behind only Pudge, Fisk & Bob Boone. He's already caught more games than Yogi Berra did and is 27 games behind Johnny Bench caught over 17 years.

• Locked thread