Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He was playing cs:go last night while the servers are down and is very good at that game too. I think he was a 1.6er, he accidentally called mirage map "strike."

It was actually hilarious watching him play CS because he is so drat calm and the cs environment is ridiculously toxic. At one point he said "I think I need to be 15 to understand these people." Everyone just yelling stupid things at him and him staying so calm and just chuckling.

Let's get him goonmanning asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mcvey posted:

Please do not subject him to this.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
GOTY

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcvey posted:

Man I haven't goonmanned in ages. Still get all the requests on steam, I just play PUBG way too drat much.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm genuinely surprised that they're still going

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What is goonmanning? I’m assuming this is something that happened in the discord. Should I join the discord?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
picked this up yesterday and i have gotten SO MANY KILLS

they've all been of myself, usually involving vehicles. holy poo poo im bad at this :cry:

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Is the entire UI on the main menu still just a HTML page? Because lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HatfulOfHollow posted:

What is goonmanning? I’m assuming this is something that happened in the discord. Should I join the discord?

it's a private cs:go goon server mostly used for competitive style pickup games

there's been an active population big enough to keep it running for- poo poo over five years now?

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635620

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

HatfulOfHollow posted:

As rex already said, its a pick up game of cs:go. The normal term is called a "ten man," in which two people become captains and select their teams. Being it's a community from SA, they called it goonmanning.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

As rex already said, its a pick up game of cs:go. The normal term is called a "ten man," in which two people become captains and select their teams. Being it's a community from SA, they called it goonmanning.

The proper terminology is actually a "buttman" and "buttmanning" thank-you.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
PSA: it’s possible when taking a Dacia off-road to get it stuck on an incline (basically bottoming-out the car so none of the wheels make contact).

ALSO: ADDR as far as calling threats go.

Alert
Direction
Description
Range

Range is what screws me up - is there no good way besides manually measuring on the map to get a distance? (I was even thinking of taking a transparency sheet and trying to make a little thing I could tape on the side of my monitor that I could use to quickly determine range.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 29, 2017

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

You can judge it based off the markings on a scope. Each scope has various range finding points based on their characters size relative to the markings that you can memorize. Wackyjacky101 on YouTube has some pretty great videos on the subject if you can spare 30 minutes on the subject.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Communist Q posted:

You can judge it based off the markings on a scope. Each scope has various range finding points based on their characters size relative to the markings that you can memorize. Wackyjacky101 on YouTube has some pretty great videos on the subject if you can spare 30 minutes on the subject.

thats cool, is there a cheat sheet I can just put up on my second monitor?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh. Yeah you’re right...

Some of the iron sights have markings too right?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thats cool, is there a cheat sheet I can just put up on my second monitor?
Yeah it's those videos on repeat you lazy shithole. Can't someone do it for me?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

twig1919 posted:

The proper terminology is actually a "buttman" and "buttmanning" thank-you.

Umm, that was only for the second iteration of it when Prost and I were in charge of the server and called it Buttmen Birgade. :rip:

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 29, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

revolther posted:

Yeah it's those videos on repeat you lazy shithole. Can't someone do it for me?

I totally want to watch a 30 minute video on repeat just to figure out what the markings mean instead of just looking at a quick graphic that has all that same information without the hassle

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Ignore the aim points, and I think this is still accurate for range finding? Honestly since they've been updated, I haven't bothered to see if there's any new graphic so this may not be accurate. At this point I just aim center of mass with the chevron (^)and it works up to 300 yds most of the time. I believe wackyjacky101 has put out an updated video (5 or 7 minutes long) with some of the updated info.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

So, when are the devs going to get around to banning people who have 1k long shots and massive insane kill totals in solo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

I actually unmute global chat after dropping out of the plane for the off chance that someone left their mic open while trying to sneak up on me. It's happened once so far, so I'd say it's a good habit to get into.

it happens all the time because people think that it's team chat

In squads last week i killed an entire team by myself because i found a shotgun and all i had to do was follow the "where the gently caress are the guns in this map???" voices

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it happens all the time because people think that it's team chat

In squads last week i killed an entire team by myself because i found a shotgun and all i had to do was follow the "where the gently caress are the guns in this map???" voices

Occasionally useful for double-fakes too, where people think you've mistaken all chat for team chat. "I hear someone, get in the bathroom." *guy creeps up the stairs to prefire the empty bathroom and gets shot in the back from the other end of the hall*

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
For range finding, don't forget that mini squares are 100m. Once you approach a place, pop the map up for a half second to get a sense of how far out you are from a landmark.

The old acog 4x used to have really hosed up markers. It was changed in 1.0, I still recommend zeroing if you have time so you don't have to rely on the graphic, or just getting a feel for the drop of your favorites.

I definitely recommend watching the whackyjackies, but I found the most useful one to be this one about range finding and leading targets:

https://youtu.be/tq08-vlJEBg

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

except you cant zero the 4x anymore :/

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Communist Q posted:

Ignore the aim points, and I think this is still accurate for range finding? Honestly since they've been updated, I haven't bothered to see if there's any new graphic so this may not be accurate. At this point I just aim center of mass with the chevron (^)and it works up to 300 yds most of the time. I believe wackyjacky101 has put out an updated video (5 or 7 minutes long) with some of the updated info.

That’s a good explanation.

What I was doing was a sort of “guess and check” approach. Ballpark the elevation and lead and fire a few shots adjusting and once I saw a blood spray I went into a faster “fire for effect” mode since I was hitting the target.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tweak posted:

except you cant zero the 4x anymore :/

I can't zero anything anymore and I have no idea why :mad:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I just started playing after a few months break and Jesus, once you hit the top tier the aimbotters are rampant. It's not even subtle. Guy inside of building suddenly a 180 and plugs you from 300m away. So drat blatant. staring at the wall directly pointed at me as he moved to a window.

Maybe It's because the Aussie server is 75% Chinese players with strings of numbers and letters as names

edit: lol yep https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/99-percent-of-battlegrounds-cheats-are-from-china-playerunknown-says/

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 30, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raged posted:

I just started playing after a few months break and Jesus, once you hit the top tier the aimbotters are rampant. It's not even subtle. Guy inside of building suddenly a 180 and plugs you from 300m away. So drat blatant. staring at the wall directly pointed at me as he moved to a window.

Maybe It's because the Aussie server is 75% with Chinese players with strings of numbers and letters as names

edit: lol yep https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/99-percent-of-battlegrounds-cheats-are-from-china-playerunknown-says/

thats how NA TPP is as well despite their boasting for millions of players banned a lot of people are cheating right now. one of the problems with wildly popular games

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Raged posted:

Maybe It's because the Aussie server is 75% Chinese players with strings of numbers and letters as names

Don't play tpp it's a loving mess on OC. FPP is almost clear

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I cannot understand why anyone would every play TPP when FPP exists. Please, enlighten me.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Switch to fpp if you're having issues with hackers. You can now hold to ADS change so set up your mouse to use it instead of toggle to ADS. It makes the game feel so much more natural, and helps get rid of cheaters in the process. It's miles better than TPP.

Three-Phase posted:

That’s a good explanation.

What I was doing was a sort of “guess and check” approach. Ballpark the elevation and lead and fire a few shots adjusting and once I saw a blood spray I went into a faster “fire for effect” mode since I was hitting the target.

At this point I don't really bother to pick fights greater than 300m. You won't be able to loot it more than likely, and are just calling attention to your position by doing so. Due to that, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages with long range fights imo, so don't stress range finding too much unless you're pinned down by someone way off in the distance. At most you're taking out someone who wasn't a threat while revealing your position to everyone else near you.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 30, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I cannot understand why anyone would every play TPP when FPP exists. Please, enlighten me.

No motion sickness, better visibility, and driving is better especially in cars like the dacia where your character’s head seems to be touching the roofin first person.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

But what about the visceral terror of FPP? The bold plays enabled by the lack of third person peeking? Seems to be too much cost to me but then again I don’t get motion sick from it

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dyz posted:

No motion sickness, better visibility, and driving is better especially in cars like the dacia where your character’s head seems to be touching the roofin first person.

That's weird my wife gets super sick when she plays games in third person.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Had a good game yesterday. Pushing into Rozhok from school and got into a fight with a couple guys in houses. My mate got downed by a kar98 headshot but instead of running to revive him I instead ran into the house and up the stairs. I don’t think they expected me to do that because when I opened fire on them one guy opened up with his uzi, completely shredding his mate and downing him, before retreating back into a room. I killed his friend and then when he came back out I killed him. The lesson here is never not push.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Schneider Inside Her posted:

see i hate to play the :spergin: card but not having a basic understanding of people is a pretty key sign bro

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

abigserve posted:

Don't play tpp it's a loving mess on OC. FPP is almost clear

I'll give it a shot. Just miffed since I just cracked the top 100 on TPP OC solo I have to start again with FPP. PU openly admits 99% of hackers are from China so that means 1,485,000 out of 1,500,000 of the bans are from one country why the hell would you let them play anywhere else, but their home servers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raged posted:

I'll give it a shot. Just miffed since I just cracked the top 100 on TPP OC solo I have to start again with FPP. PU openly admits 99% of hackers are from China so that means 1,485,000 out of 1,500,000 of the bans are from one country why the hell would you let them play anywhere else, but their home servers.

Because money. If someone is giving you enough money to buy multiple houses, you're just fine letting them poo poo all over your current house. Because gently caress 'em and everybody else who lives there.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Shroud killed me and then looted my helmet and silencer by the church. Felt famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

slap me and kiss me posted:

Shroud killed me and then looted my helmet and silencer by the church. Felt famous.

you didn't kill him?