Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

buglord posted:

I’m committing heresy but after three whole days of ownership i fully believe blue keycaps are deafeningly loud holy crap

just playing shooter games alone is enough noise to wake the dead

If it bothers you too much you can try o-rings and sound dampening clamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

If it bothers you too much you can try o-rings and sound dampening clamps.

Thats what I was thinking. But also it seems like getting decent o-rings is going to be half the cost of my keyboard (Aukey 87 key). I used to have a DAS brown back in 2011 which was cool but not really satisfying to type on because there was no click unless I bottom out. Trying to find a nice (and most importantly cheap) in-between of volume.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

buglord posted:

Thats what I was thinking. But also it seems like getting decent o-rings is going to be half the cost of my keyboard (Aukey 87 key). I used to have a DAS brown back in 2011 which was cool but not really satisfying to type on because there was no click unless I bottom out. Trying to find a nice (and most importantly cheap) in-between of volume.

This is why a lot of people like clears, maybe you should try them?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone have an opinion on mx clear stems in gateron brown housing+springs?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
The GMMK folks are having another sale. 20% off your order total: https://www.pcgamingrace.com/pages/winter-sale-2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
So I ordered a GMMK on Dec 18. After a switch tester finally arrived from NovelKeys, I ordered a pile of Kailh Speed Coppers on Dec 21.

Today I have received the switches but still no keyboard. I love the USPS!

EDIT: Got my GMMK in today and put it together after first lubing the stabs. This fucker is still noisy af :v: Must be a lot of negative space inside the case, as this keyboard rings a little bit with every keystroke, and each stroke also has an amplified "thock" sound. Let's see how long until someone complains...

Loving the feel of the Kailh Speed Coppers so far though!

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 28, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

It's starting to look like a triple poo poopost!

Found out why my GMMK is so loud. With the Kailh Speed switches, the overall travel has been significantly reduced, so the mad stack of O-rings of various widths no longer works to stop my sculpted SA keys from bottoming out as on the Gateron Browns :lol:

Time to drop another $18 for a 40A-L set from WASD. This hobby is so much fun!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't mind the tri-post since I missed your edit previously. The GMMK is a light board, I agree. It's rigid without any flex, and has an aluminum front so I can't really complain about the build quality, but yeah the clacking is pretty tinny compared to a board with a thick and heavy backplate. Also the stabs are loud.

I haven't switched to a mech kb at work yet, I might once I build a board with gat brown silents.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I tried putting some dish packing foam inside the case where it would fit and still allow the case to be closed back up, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Now I have some foam in my still-somewhat-noisy keyboard.

Still loving the Coppers though, even if they are a bit scratchier than the Gat Browns. I'd say they're about as scratchy as the Cherry Browns I have on my Ducky Pocket.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Work is moving us to an open office model, and I'm going to be seated next to "Sniffly" Drew. What's the loudest keyboard I can get for like $100 Canadian? I'm feeling intensely passive aggressive.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anything with cherry MX blue switches mounted on a metal plate.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Antioch posted:

Work is moving us to an open office model, and I'm going to be seated next to "Sniffly" Drew. What's the loudest keyboard I can get for like $100 Canadian? I'm feeling intensely passive aggressive.

nikki ashton posted:

Maybe this guy? I bought a ducky one from ncix just before they went under, it is a great heavy board but IDK if it's available in canada after netlink went bankrupt

e: or maybe this

mewse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 29, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

nikki ashton posted:

Also, if possible make sure the stems are free floating.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mewse posted:

Maybe this guy? I bought a ducky one from ncix just before they went under, it is a great heavy board but IDK if it's available in canada after netlink went bankrupt

Yeah either of those will be violence inducing loud.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm on Drew's side here, if anything we should help the guy out, maybe he's got allergies, we gotta hook him up with some herbs or something. Poor guy is sniffly and we're roasting him.

By the way, what do you folks dig for wrist rests, if you use them? I still have an old leather imak beads one from over a decade ago, apparently more recent ones by them are smaller and stiffer, less good.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I tried putting some dish packing foam inside the case where it would fit and still allow the case to be closed back up, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Now I have some foam in my still-somewhat-noisy keyboard.
Might want to try old/cheap mouse pads. The rubber and cloth on them is pretty good for sound and vibration absorption.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Heavy Metal posted:

By the way, what do you folks dig for wrist rests, if you use them? I still have an old leather imak beads one from over a decade ago, apparently more recent ones by them are smaller and stiffer, less good.

I got a glorious gaming race wrist rest, specifically the slim and compact version, a few weeks ago and it has been phenomenal. I float my hands a bit while I'm typing quickly, but my palms rest lightly on the wrist pad often. I find it super comfy, but ymmv.

It's also really nice for long gaming sessions. Used to get a bit of discomfort from having my palm on the wooden desk for long stretches, especially for games heavy on the WASD, but having the squishy wrist rest makes a world of difference. So much so that I'd forgotten that I used to get said discomfort until I read your post!

The one I have is the slim one so it's only 13 mm thick, quite a bit less tall than the average I think. Doesn't get in the way at all, and I'm glad I went with the thin version.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

mewse posted:

Sweet, thanks.

And no one is on Drew's side, he's been Sniffly for 3 years so you can never tell when he's sick and then his viruses infect you when you're not expecting it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Good time for a relevant quote from the OP:

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Buckling Spring

A beloved older design, the IBM Buckling Spring switch is a bit of an odd duck. Most mechanical keyboards use springs that compress under pressure. Instead, a buckling spring bends outwardly, striking the side of it’s housing when it reaches it’s required actuation force. The heaviest switch you’re likely to ever encounter, at a whooping 90 cN. And as a bonus, when someone tries to murder you for the racket these things make, you can use the keyboard as a bludgeon to murder them because they are built like loving Gameboys. Unicomp is the only company producing new buckling spring keyboards right now.

tl;dr the Unicomp is the loudest keyboard and also sturdy enough that if you play it right you can kill Drew in self defense and get away with it

Unfortunately the cost of shipping to Canada probably makes it a dealbreaker :sigh:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm on Drew's side here, if anything we should help the guy out, maybe he's got allergies, we gotta hook him up with some herbs or something. Poor guy is sniffly and we're roasting him.

Wooden wrist rests from China for aesthetics. For comfort though, I'd go with Grifiti. They're fairly cheap on sale and have different thicknesses and stuff. I'd get the Glorious Gaming Race ones but I just feel filthy having that awful PCMR branding bullshit on my desk.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Yea the branding is pretty eye rolling. It's not too flagrant on the compact one though, so it's easy to ignore. But it gets the job done, and the edges are rounded and sewn down so it seems durable v:shobon:v

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Anybody have a recommendation for a smaller wrist rest? I'd like to use one for my Vortex Core, which is about 10" wide.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

O-rings won't make a drastic difference on blues, because the sound is primarily from the click jacket. Clears would probably be the closest MX switch to what you're after, or maybe Matias Quiet Clicks, but admittedly Alps keysets are few and far between.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Three days after getting a brand new GMMK, I'm already trying to buy a K-Type.

hahahahahahahahahaha :smithicide:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just got my first mechanical keyboard, Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L with browns, I'm digging it! Feels terrific typing and for the WASDing. Thumbs up.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heavy Metal posted:

Just got my first mechanical keyboard, Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L with browns, I'm digging it! Feels terrific typing and for the WASDing. Thumbs up.

I'm finally getting a new keyboard (This one is at least 10-years old Logitech Y-ST39 "Internet Keyboard"...PS/2, not USB) and want one of those, except in the M size and with Clears. However, that doesn't exist, and I can't seem to find any other offerings matching that. I need the tenkey, but don't want/need the arrow keys and the thingies above it. Anyone know where I can find a match for that? I can't find an easily searchable term for that keyboard layout.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I'm finally getting a new keyboard (This one is at least 10-years old Logitech Y-ST39 "Internet Keyboard"...PS/2, not USB) and want one of those, except in the M size and with Clears. However, that doesn't exist, and I can't seem to find any other offerings matching that. I need the tenkey, but don't want/need the arrow keys and the thingies above it. Anyone know where I can find a match for that? I can't find an easily searchable term for that keyboard layout.

You could get a 60% and a seperate keypad if that works for you. I don’t think I’ve seen keyboards with the numpad but without the arrows.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think the CM Quickfire TK was one of the only layouts without a middle cluster but with a numpad I've seen:
https://smile.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00A378L4C/

It didn't come in clears and I'm not sure if they're still in production, hence the high prices if they're available. Unfortunately it's an unusual layout and won't be easy to find.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I believe they're called %96 keyboards, I only know the Red Scarf III and 96KEE both of which I've only seen as kits in group buys. You might be able to get a kit or one that's already put together on r/mechmarket/ or Deskthority or Geekhack.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Cindy Shitbird posted:

This is the Vibe by Vortex. It's available for purchase on mechanicalkeyboards.com. I like mine but don't use it very much.

Edit: also you can find it on mykeyboard.eu in case you don't live in the US.

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 1, 2018

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cindy Shitbird posted:

masterkeys pro m can be done with browns, that's probably the closest you can get in a 'regular' store. There's also stuff like this:

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/blogs/news/max-keyboard

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 2, 2018

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

clamiam45 posted:

This is the Vibe by Vortex. It's available for purchase on mechanicalkeyboards.com. I like mine but don't use it very much.

Edit: also you can find it on mykeyboard.eu in case you don't live in the US.

drat, that's perfect, aside being back-ordered. The color scheme is nice, too! :D

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

It's a long shot but if anybody has any leads on SA Godspeed Novelties or 40s please let me know. I'm looking to purchase them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I put some milky white abs caps on my GMMK tkl and it is amazing

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

clamiam45 posted:

It's a long shot but if anybody has any leads on SA Godspeed Novelties or 40s please let me know. I'm looking to purchase them.

Was gonna recommend you post on r/mechmarket but see that you already have (twice?) :v:

This guy is selling a set of Godspeed Solar Alphas + Modifiers + Novelties. Maybe you can work out a deal on just the Novelties: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7malab/usmi_h_godspeed_sa_gmk_yuri_fallout_arrows_sa/

How's the case echo on your GMMK? Mine makes a slight resonant ringing sound (ping?) with nearly every keystroke :v:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 3, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

How's the case echo on your GMMK? Mine makes a slight resonant ringing sound (ping?) with nearly every keystroke :v:

I dunno it sounds pretty normal to me except for the noisy stabs that I'm too lazy to fix.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Was gonna recommend you post on r/mechmarket but see that you already have (twice?) :v:

This guy is selling a set of Godspeed Solar Alphas + Modifiers + Novelties. Maybe you can work out a deal on just the Novelties: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7malab/usmi_h_godspeed_sa_gmk_yuri_fallout_arrows_sa/

Yeah they advised to separate posts by a few days.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I popped open a gateron silent brown and the stem looks like an exact match for these new aliaz switches that kbdfans is selling for preorders. The only difference might be a clear SMD housing rather than the pcb mount milky housing I got with these guys from the cool jazz store on aliexpress. Considering the new aliaz switches are selling for 50 cents per switch, don't order them.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'd say have first-hand experience with them before making a statement like that. They do claim to feel more like clears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

teraflame posted:

I'd say have first-hand experience with them before making a statement like that. They do claim to feel more like clears

They posted this image side-by-side with a clear stem

The new bump looks exactly like the silent browns I just looked at