Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DLC Inc posted:

whoever decided on the fief of forgetfulness location was an exquisite loving rear end in a top hat. how the gently caress were people supposed to find that poo poo!?

You kids think Fief is obscure, let me tell you about a game called Suikoden and how recruiting every single character is the only way to avoid a bad ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

whoever decided on the fief of forgetfulness location was an exquisite loving rear end in a top hat. how the gently caress were people supposed to find that poo poo!?

I bet the same guy did Ursula's sidequest

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I bet the same guy did Ursula's sidequest

I'm pretty amazed they made a character that can only be maxed out by removing them from your party and wasting time navigating menus for 50 hours

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh hey I finally got a rare let's see who it-

[something called Dahlia marches onscreen]

:stonk:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh hey I finally got a rare let's see who it-

[something called Dahlia marches onscreen]

:stonk:

Get hyped for her sidequest, which is mostly about a little girl telling her how pretty she is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just started getting cores that "heal after using Arts" and boy that helps a lot. Those plus the block % increases are saving my rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

Get hyped for her sidequest, which is mostly about a little girl telling her how pretty she is.

This quest made me think I was having a stroke or something, because I swear the little girl repeated the same thing multiple times to Dahlia, in exactly the same way, in the same conversation, with the same reaction. Also the little girl seemed like she had some sort of actual mental disability, but I think she was supposed to be perceived as cute.

Does Dahlia have a southern accent in English or something? The subtitles seemed to indicate as such. She has a sort of "neutral" Japanese accent, but with some kansai dialect vocabulary (I guess she's implied to be culturally the same as the Tantalese or something).

Dahlia in general has a very disturbing character design. Like there are the boobs bigger than her head, but then her hands are these hosed up horrifying clawed monstrosities, and her feet are similarly hosed up.

IcePhoenix posted:

This is just confirmation bias. You have the same chance to roll any given rare on a crystal no matter when you draw it. But as you get more rares, the rolls that would have gotten you a rare now give you commons instead because that rare is gone.

I'm in chapter 8 and I haven't gotten a new rare from a roll since the middle of chapter 6 at least. And I open cores constantly.

That makes sense. I wish they had used a more reasonable "% chance of getting anything from the pool of remaining rares" formula instead of something that gradually caused your chance of getting a rare to decrease (theoretically to the point where you're 1/2 as likely to get a rare with 1 rare remaining than you are with 2 rares, etc).

PJOmega posted:

Having Boreas and Praxis fire off their Salvage Mastery dialogue in that order sounds wrong.

I have Japanese voices on, and Boreas's salvage mastery line is something like "kitai shiteru mo, chururin" and it sounds really goofy/weird and is also way too long for a line that is repeated over and over. Boreas in general kind of creeps me out.

edit: I'm pretty sure Boreas speaking like a Nopon actually makes no sense, because this one side quest ends up revealing that the Nopon speech pattern was established by some ancient Nopon pirate in order to make people underestimate the Nopon and allow them to take advantage of non-Nopon as merchants and what have you. Given that I'm pretty sure blades were originally created back before Earth went to poo poo, it should have been before this pirate and thus Boreas (who I don't think is even a Nopon? What the gently caress is he?) shouldn't be talking like that.

DLC Inc posted:

I totally found it by mistake just wandering around without any sort of guide.

The same can't be said for the end of Ursula's quest, which required you to fall behind a hole that is behind a level 90-something boss, but has a misleading location marker because the NPC is underground.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 30, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ytlaya posted:

I have Japanese voices on, and Boreas's salvage mastery line is something like "kitai shiteru mo, chururin" and it sounds really goofy/weird and is also way too long for a line that is repeated over and over. Boreas in general kind of creeps me out.

edit: I'm pretty sure Boreas speaking like a Nopon actually makes no sense, because this one side quest ends up revealing that the Nopon speech pattern was established by some ancient Nopon pirate in order to make people underestimate the Nopon and allow them to take advantage of non-Nopon as merchants and what have you. Given that I'm pretty sure blades were originally created back before Earth went to poo poo, it should have been before this pirate and thus Boreas (who I don't think is even a Nopon? What the gently caress is he?) shouldn't be talking like that.
Boreas's English line is absurdly long too, it's like "Rex, make sure to bring back something good to eat, okay?"

also I think you're wrong about the second thing because Blades just come out of their Core Crystals able to talk, so maybe he was bonded with Nopons many times before and picked up their speech patterns, like how other Blades have accents

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wulfric is the best rare blade

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Boreas's English line is absurdly long too, it's like "Rex, make sure to bring back something good to eat, okay?"

also I think you're wrong about the second thing because Blades just come out of their Core Crystals able to talk, so maybe he was bonded with Nopons many times before and picked up their speech patterns, like how other Blades have accents

I had assumed the blades' mannerisms, etc, are just set at the creation of their cores or w/e, and they were reborn with that default set of knowledge, personality, etc. I guess it's possible (and maybe some lore I forgot) that they also grab info from their drivers. This would explain why blades almost always go along with the wishes of their drivers (except when they, uh, don't).

This actually brings something to mind. I remember early in the game it's mentioned that blades can be bonded to animals. You see this occasionally, and I believe it's the case with Wulfric when you first find him. Wouldn't this drive the blade in question crazy? Like, they're basically intelligent, sapient beings. Being bonded to some giant spider or whatever for its lifespan would suck.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Boreas was my first rare pull from a core and I was so happy. All of Boreas' arts restore shitloads of HP to the party, he (she?) just shits out recovery in so many ways.

voltcatfish posted:

Wulfric is the best rare blade

Hard to argue with this when he's an HR Giger monster who just wants to help children and grandmothers, in a world full of anime titties and robot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, I have to give this game credit for having a lot of genuinely funny Heart 2 Heart scenes. A whole bunch of them actually make me laugh out loud, and the characters bounce really well off of one another.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's followed by a slurping eating sound. Which goes on long enough to linger past many other voice lines when they are stagger stacked on one another, as they are in field checks.

Boreas: "Rex, make sure to bring back some local snacks."
Praxis: "Come take a look at this."
Boreas: *Obscene sounding slurping sounds.*

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go south of where the quest tells you to be, down to the little valley running east-to-west. Drop down into it, you'll see one of those bioluminescent plants on the wall marking a way inside. Follow that up and around through the tree bridge.

Thank you

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just opened up two rare cores at the end of chapter 3. actually got 2 rare blades (Kora and Gorg). I’m going to spend an overdrive protocol (my first) to give Rex topple launch and smash. I think it’ll be worth it for long periods of the game.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

what's the deal with people spelling them "artes" - that's not how it's spelled in the game, is that an old habit from previous games or something?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

I really wish I had an overdrive so I could transfer the salvage point blade over to number 4 instead of being on 5.

I often don't feel like the game gives you a decent idea of what sort of blade things are either. There's no way I'd guess the bitball was a healer nor that the water katana blade that 4 gets is a tank. Then I feel like I've hosed up when I give it to the wrong person.

The blade's role is stated outright on its stats page. If you pull a bitball and don't know it's a healer that's entirely on you the player.

I guess if you never got a bitball blade before finishing Vess's quest then sure you might not have any idea what role she is, or the water blade 4 gets if you never pulled a katana blade before then (which would be insane), but that's less a "the game didn't show me the blade's stats first" and more "you have crazy weird luck or literally never pull blades" because the idea players wouldn't know what role a bitball or katana is by those points is not something a developer's going to worry about because the number of people who fall in to that group are a rounding error. Same with Wulfric and spears. This also means you never noticed the abilities being used by bitball or katana driver NPCs you've fought.

The only unique blade that comes to mind as giving you no indication of its type is the inherited core you buy for 500k, I think Vess's role is mentioned or at least hinted during the quest chain and the blade 4 gets definitely shows itself to be a tank blade such as when it defends the party from Bana's explosion, though I forget if you ever see them or their prior driver carry their katana. You see Wulfric in action before you get their core so you know they're a spear user (unless you ignored them during the fight which is entirely on you). Same with a couple others.

DLC Inc posted:

The first time I went on a walkway next to the landbridge I noticed the blocks on the wall and thought "I bet I can jump on to that to get to the ground below" and then I noticed one of them had a gathering spot, which meant they absolutely wanted to make it clear "you should try to jump down here" if you looked. :shrug:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ytlaya posted:

This quest made me think I was having a stroke or something, because I swear the little girl repeated the same thing multiple times to Dahlia, in exactly the same way, in the same conversation, with the same reaction. Also the little girl seemed like she had some sort of actual mental disability, but I think she was supposed to be perceived as cute.

It's supposed to be cute, but yeah neither the actual character model or her voice acting line up with the actual dialogue, so instead of coming across as a five year old, she comes across as like a very slow eleven year old. But she managed to get to a place that's behind a bunch of level ~40 enemies and multiple skill checks, so when you think about it maybe Rex and co are the slow ones.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I have to give this game credit for having a lot of genuinely funny Heart 2 Heart scenes. A whole bunch of them actually make me laugh out loud, and the characters bounce really well off of one another.

I agree 100%, and you don't have to grind affinity for hours to see them either! This is first time the h2h system was done right.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've been wondering about those, is there a "right" answer to each one that gets you a longer scene, or did they flesh out both options?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm assuming both choices are fleshed out because I've only ever had long interesting responses and there's no way I chose 20 right answers in a row

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Plot related question (from around beginning of chapter 9, but relevant to stuff a bit earlier) - What exactly is Amalthus's motivation? They made it sound like he wanted to destroy the world, but if that's the case why is he trying to stop Malos and company? Aren't they also trying to destroy the world? Or is his motive more to just control the world? I could have sworn Rex talked about him wanting to destroy everything, though, and it sounds like the world is going to end in a while with the status quo anyways, due to the remaining big titans growing old.

edit: By the way, as an example of another somewhat "lost in translation" name, Malos' Japanese name, "Metsu," means something like "destruction." I guess "Malos" sorta has negative connotations, what with the "Mal", but it isn't quite as clear.

edit2: Is it just me, or do Mikhail/Benkei (forget her English name, but the black haired woman paired up with him) look sorta like characters from Shin Megami Tensei games? I wish other characters had similar character designs.

Momomo posted:

I've been wondering about those, is there a "right" answer to each one that gets you a longer scene, or did they flesh out both options?

I think there's a somewhat preferable answer, that possible increases Trust or something? Not sure. But it doesn't matter that much, if at all.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 30, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
One of the answers gets you more trust, not like it really matters if you're going to just down 900 servings of food later anyway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, it just changes how much trust you get. Most/all conversations loop back together quickly regardless of the option chosen anyways.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Ytlaya posted:

Plot related question (from around beginning of chapter 9, but relevant to stuff a bit earlier) - What exactly is Amalthus's motivation? They made it sound like he wanted to destroy the world, but if that's the case why is he trying to stop Malos and company? Aren't they also trying to destroy the world? Or is his motive more to just control the world? I could have sworn Rex talked about him wanting to destroy everything, though, and it sounds like the world is going to end in a while with the status quo anyways, due to the remaining big titans growing old.

My interpretation was that Amalthus hates the world as it is, and his ultimate goal is to kill the Architect and then take his place. Torna reaching the Architect first would upset those plans, so that's why Amalthus intervenes.

At least, that's how I read it. If Amalthus isn't trying to become the new Architect, maybe he just wants to end the world on his terms? :shrug:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

Yeah, it just changes how much trust you get. Most/all conversations loop back together quickly regardless of the option chosen anyways.

I dunno, I feel like this one H2H would have gone in a considerably different direction if I didn't have Homura approve of Zeke's nickname for her (IIRC it was HOMURA THE SHINING).

I'm at chapter 10 now, and the connection to Xenoblade 1 actually makes perfect sense. Having this planet be the one that wasn't the new universe from 1 is a reasonable way to connect things.

I felt like the stuff with Seiryuu saying "Shin, you have a beautiful soul" was sort of bordering on that Naruto "He was the coolest guy" territory though, given the dude has probably murdered thousands of random humans by this point.

edit: Hahaha, this part where the specter of Nia is yelling at you for choosing Homura instead of her. :(

edit2: Uh, the specter of Morag is kinda kicking my rear end. update: Nevermind, equipped a blade with 60% crit rate and an accessory that gives 22% of crit damage back as health made it easy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 30, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Man that sure was a Xeno ending :unsmith:

I love that Nintendo lets Takahashi make games

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, I feel like this one H2H would have gone in a considerably different direction if I didn't have Homura approve of Zeke's nickname for her (IIRC it was HOMURA THE SHINING).

I'm at chapter 10 now, and the connection to Xenoblade 1 actually makes perfect sense. Having this planet be the one that wasn't the new universe from 1 is a reasonable way to connect things.

I felt like the stuff with Seiryuu saying "Shin, you have a beautiful soul" was sort of bordering on that Naruto "He was the coolest guy" territory though, given the dude has probably murdered thousands of random humans by this point.

edit: Hahaha, this part where the specter of Nia is yelling at you for choosing Homura instead of her. :(

edit2: Uh, the specter of Morag is kinda kicking my rear end. update: Nevermind, equipped a blade with 60% crit rate and an accessory that gives 22% of crit damage back as health made it easy.

Who is Homura?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zore posted:

Who is Homura?

Pyra's JP name. Pretty sure it means "flame" so both names are appropriate.

One downside to using the JP audio track is that it makes it abundantly clear where a character's had their name changed for localization. One plus to the JP audio is that the Japanese QTE announcer guy sounds kind of like the Sonic QTE announcer guy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
"Tora seal dog mode so people don't think he's weird."

Best H2H.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like that Poppi's justification for how she speaks is that everyone else is using too drat many extra words.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Pyra's JP name. Pretty sure it means "flame" so both names are appropriate.

One downside to using the JP audio track is that it makes it abundantly clear where a character's had their name changed for localization. One plus to the JP audio is that the Japanese QTE announcer guy sounds kind of like the Sonic QTE announcer guy.

Ah yeah, sorry. I'm used to the English names for the locations since I see them written more often than spoken, but the names are spoken so often that they feel more normal to me in the Japanese (especially given how often Rex is yelling Homura/Hikari). Not to mention the fact that the Japanese names are all fairly recognizable things, while the English names are just generic fantasy non-words. Like, the Torna crowd in Japanese is Shin (Jin), Yoshitsune (Akhos), Benkei (can't even remember), and Satahiko (Mikhail). The names also match Torna's whole Japanese aesthetic. Oh, I also tend to think in terms of the English names for names that were also non-Japanese sounding in the Japanese. For example Morag/Mereph or Niall/Nefel.

One thing that surprised me about end-game reveals is the amount of time that has passed since old-Earth "ended" and the present. I was expecting something along the lines of humans using crystals to survive after some cataclysmic war, and this "only" happening no more than ~10,000 years ago, but apparently it's been millions/billions of years, with life evolving all the way to its present state. Presumably intelligent civilizations haven't been around for too awful long (at least no more than a few thousand years), since otherwise it doesn't make sense that no one thought to climb the tree until 500 years ago.

One thing I'm not totally clear on, though - I don't totally get the connection between blades and old Earth people. Were blades created from the memories of old Earth people or not? If so, are they direct (like Person A from old Earth was turned into a blade) or did they just use their data? The former doesn't seem to make much sense, since blades have their whole life cycle with titans, so it's obviously not a situation where every blade has always existed since the end of "old Earth." I get that Klaus wanted to use blades to record data on organisms (thus the linking) and blades change as they accumulate that data.

In general I would appreciate it if someone could just explain the whole process from Klaus's particles and how they became titans/blades, because all of that was explained really fast. Like, blades were created by Klaus to gather data, but they were also created by titans which naturally formed from the cloud sea particles or something?

Another question - What is up with ether? Is it just nanotechnology stuff from the same particles used to make the cloud sea? Did their original version of Earth also have ether? What made blades end up looking in all the crazy ways they do? Is it safe to assume that blades earlier in their lifestyle have the more "generic" look from common blades, while older ones that have accumulated more data have the more unique looks? I don't think that was ever stated, but it seems to make sense. (Using this logic, Dahlia must have been linked with a bunch of rabbits and busty women.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 30, 2017

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Pretty sure the implication is that core crystals originally were developed by the initial Earth civilization and Klaus used the Conduit to create the Cloud Sea as a sort of nanotech catalyst that harvested all the OG Earth data from the core crystals and created a sort of hyper-evolutionary process aimed at restoring things with the supercomputer Aegises running the process. The Titans, Ether, etc were him being all "while I'm at it why not use my divine powers to Make Anime Real" just like his XC1 counterpart.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m using on the second tank party member as extra blades Percival and Finch. I also got Godfrey but on Rex, is it worth using my next overdrive on that?

I was excited because I thought Godfrey could launch but turns out there are multiple axe types

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

Does Dahlia have a southern accent in English or something? The subtitles seemed to indicate as such. She has a sort of "neutral" Japanese accent, but with some kansai dialect vocabulary (I guess she's implied to be culturally the same as the Tantalese or something).

Dahlia in general has a very disturbing character design. Like there are the boobs bigger than her head, but then her hands are these hosed up horrifying clawed monstrosities, and her feet are similarly hosed up.

That makes sense. I wish they had used a more reasonable "% chance of getting anything from the pool of remaining rares" formula instead of something that gradually caused your chance of getting a rare to decrease (theoretically to the point where you're 1/2 as likely to get a rare with 1 rare remaining than you are with 2 rares, etc).

I totally found it by mistake just wandering around without any sort of guide.

The same can't be said for the end of Ursula's quest, which required you to fall behind a hole that is behind a level 90-something boss, but has a misleading location marker because the NPC is underground.

Dahlia is indeed a darlin' southern belle in the english dub. And the kid's spoken dialogue in english works better than how it appears in just subtitles, because the VA makes her actually sound like how a small child speaks rather than just pitching their voice up an octave.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I did not realize how much they tie in the main theme musically towards the end before now.

I can hear the main part of it in the background music for 2 or 3 of the last few areas in the game, and even at the end of the song that plays during the credits.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

It's pretty obvious if you actually look at the map.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Doc V posted:

It's pretty obvious if you actually look at the map.

lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Leathal posted:

Pretty sure the implication is that core crystals originally were developed by the initial Earth civilization and Klaus used the Conduit to create the Cloud Sea as a sort of nanotech catalyst that harvested all the OG Earth data from the core crystals and created a sort of hyper-evolutionary process aimed at restoring things with the supercomputer Aegises running the process. The Titans, Ether, etc were him being all "while I'm at it why not use my divine powers to Make Anime Real" just like his XC1 counterpart.

core crystals were originally cybernetic nerve cells that you were supposed to replace your brain with to live forever. But they just grew out of control if put in a human and made them immortal weird FF13 zombies. So klaus had to make new people from scratch with the titan/blade/organic life cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m using on the second tank party member as extra blades Percival and Finch. I also got Godfrey but on Rex, is it worth using my next overdrive on that?

I was excited because I thought Godfrey could launch but turns out there are multiple axe types

Godfrey has a hammer, not an axe