Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Is it acceptable to have exceptions to normals being special cancellable in order to improve gameplay design at the cost of accessibility? Is including a list of all the exceptions somewhere in the game enough? Should developers somehow indicate a normal isn't special cancellable in another way?

Is the move not cancelling into a special move when you tried to do it not enough feedback to indicate the move is not special cancellable?

Isn't there something to be said about using different hitsparks for moves that are cancellable? Tekken does a lot of interesting things with their hitsparks which I don't think most people even notice. As to the other points you could indicate very succintly on the movelist that, I'unno, st.HK isn't special cancellable with a small tag being present or not. Basically, I think most information should be present in the game itself, if not easily readable during gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At this point every fighter really should be putting movelists with god drat frame data right into the game. Preferably together with all the special properties a move has.
It's a travesty that in this here year of out lord most developers still refuse to let the player see the insanely important numbers behind the moves. It's not like it's hard to show the god drat variables.

But what do I know, maybe it's more difficult than I think. Certain very popular fighters can't even manage to put a complete movelist into their game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Frame data will scare off The Casuals

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Injustice 2 has frame data in it, and that's like the most financially successfully FG this year for what it's worth

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Frame data will scare off The Casuals

You can add a "Show Frame Data On/Off" switch and hide it in some random menu or something.
Casuals will never look and people who need it will figure it out.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
only 50% of sfv-havers on steam have the achievement for using training mode for over 30 minutes

frame datas fine in training mode, if you're doing any sort of effort for the game you're already an overachiever why not let overachievers have more tools

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

only 50% of sfv-havers on steam have the achievement for using training mode for over 30 minutes

frame datas fine in training mode, if you're doing any sort of effort for the game you're already an overachiever why not let overachievers have more tools

mvci seems like a near perfect example of a game imploding like this suggests one would.

sfxt lasted longer right?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
fyi for instances you think that chart doesn't apply to a lot of games these days, just replace "deep and balanced gameplay" with "addictive enough skinner box" and it will

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

fyi for instances you think that chart doesn't apply to a lot of games these days, just replace "deep and balanced gameplay" with "addictive enough skinner box" and it will

lol

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Booyah- posted:

mvci seems like a near perfect example of a game imploding like this suggests one would.

Is getting to Evo but then being gimped by being 2v2 better or worse?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is fighterz gonna be the new king of evo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Stairmaster posted:

is fighterz gonna be the new king of evo

is fighterz gonna replace mvc2??

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Zand posted:

Nrs games tho

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Booyah- posted:

I don't really think it's the same thing. Casuals never even gave the game a chance, it sold like crap and never really had a shot at having a thriving community in the first place.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
its pretty neat how after battle of the stones all the pro players dropped the facade and are pretending like they were never shilling mvci

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't really think it's the same thing. Casuals never even gave the game a chance, it sold like crap and never really had a shot at having a thriving community in the first place.

poo poo like Spencer being in the game because Capcom was trying to do this on the cheap and didn't want to make new models if they could help it or Haggar's revel trailer having clipping didn't help. Plus they came out right around the time db fighterz was at maximum hype so like the better game was right there.

Seriously ArkSys moving their beta so it was on MvCi's launch date took some backbone and it paid off.

Zand posted:

its pretty neat how after battle of the stones all the pro players dropped the facade and are pretending like they were never shilling mvci

FChamp being allowed to complete was bullshit and if I was pro and on the fence about competing they would've pushed me over. Then that clusterfuck of a tournament happened.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 30, 2017

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Booyah- posted:

SFxT sold waaaaaaay better than MvC:I did.

SFxT sold well over 2 mil.
MvC:I will be lucky to crack 500k in its first year.

*EDIT*
Just checked...SFxT sold over 1 million in its first 2 months, and THAT was considered a massive disappointment just 5 years ago.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 30, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Booyah- posted:

Cross Tekken made it to two Evos, one of which was a gimmick.

Infinite might not make it to one.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Zand posted:

LI Joe got me the most.

He literally went from "yo this game is super hype, this is totally going to be my main game" to "man this game is pretty booty" even before battle of the stones.

He wasn't too hot on DBZ Fighters, which is fine, it's his opinion, but watch this dude be there day one acting like he wasn't taking poo poo on it before.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How are you not hot on DBFZ...the only concerning thing from the early footage was the low damage and it's only increased since then. It's like a slam dunk at this point

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

How are you not hot on DBFZ...the only concerning thing from the early footage was the low damage and it's only increased since then. It's like a slam dunk at this point

They all mashed through DBFZ Beta because MVCI was around the block, sayin' "oh it's a mashy game".

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
SFxT sold more because people were hopeful at first and then understandably taken aback when an idea like Street Fighter X Tekken was a horrible idea.

It is a horrible idea, because they loving handled it wrong. Goes to show that you add Akuma into Tekken 7 and he acts like a SF character and stands his own ground whereas you got SFxT, an idea horribly botched. And that's not even getting into the thing where they kept most of the DLC content in the CD and locked it.

loving idiot pricks. Classic 2010s capcom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tekken x streetfighter where ryu has 150 moves needs to happen just for the complaining

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

In Training posted:

I think the only other thing I've seen people wary of re: DBFZ is the Shenron summon, but iirc that was before we knew that you get dragonballs by either player making combos with a tens digit being 1/2/3/4/5/6/7, whoever causes the last ball to appear gets the wish. It doesn't seem like something you could plan for that easily, or even make happen that often, but I guess it'd be nice if we knew there was an option where you could just turn it off if it's interfering with tournament play?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You need to get the last ball and then do an autocombo with full meter, so it will never happen in a tournament setting ever probably. But yeah the shenron system could have been disruptive for sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean it will happen in a tournament the same way Xrd IK combos happen in tournaments, IE for maximum clownage

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In Training posted:

You need to get the last ball and then do an autocombo with full meter, so it will never happen in a tournament setting ever probably. But yeah the shenron system could have been disruptive for sure

Like full 7 bars?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Like full 7 bars?

yeah, because 7 dragon balls

it is less relevant than danger time in xrd and people getting weird about it is extremely funny

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Dorohedorohe/status/946922546368339968

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Endorph posted:

yeah, because 7 dragon balls

it is less relevant than danger time in xrd and people getting weird about it is extremely funny

Yeah if it requires 7 full bars it's really not that big of a deal at all.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

In Training posted:

Oh lol didn't know you ALSO had to do a full autocombo WITH SEVEN BARS, so yeah that'll basically never happen.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtF80UCgarY

gently caress yes

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

In Training posted:

How are you not hot on DBFZ...

Only one playable gal. Two if 21 gets a DLC release. Not even enough for a full team.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That one lady that ResetERA, Reddit and GAF have ten billion page arguments about being better than Broly or not will probably make it in eventually so you'll be able to have a full team in a year or so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Only one playable gal. Two if 21 gets a DLC release. Not even enough for a full team.

blame akira toriyama for that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jmcrofts posted:

A crossover game like mvci lives and dies on fanservice, and they cut out the x-men, who are some of the most iconic marvel characters and also more specifically some of people's favorite characters to play as in mvc

it would actually have been hosed without any problems besides that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even ignorign the lack of the X-Men the game's roster was just bad. You got the avengers in there, good. Black Panther, alright. But who gives a crap about Nova? Or Ghost Rider? There's no Loki even though he's incredibly popular, there was no Venom in the launch roster. And I can get the desire for more female characters but Gamora feels like the Guardians character people care least about, people seem to think Drax is way funnier and more likeable. No Winter Soldier at launch either even though people like him too. Have some fun with it, put Nick Fury in there, people love Samuel L. Jackson.

I understand they had some restrictions because of Marvel/Disney, but I don't think Marvel would have told them 'no, put this guy who people associate with a bad Nicholas Cage movie in instead of the franchise's most recognizable villain."

I don't even know why Ghost Rider is there, Marvel doesn't have a movie planned for him. Oh, right, it's so they could reuse a model.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

spencer is not going to be in this game, lol
just went back and found this post from a year ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry: