Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Tintin has a scene that’s basically the truck hijacking from Raiders as one long take, Spielberg took Zemeckis’ motion capture CGI and thoroughly embarrassed him with how much you can do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
TinTin was my favorite book series as a kid because it was full of adventure and mystery. Loved that series.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a TV show from the early 80s created by Donald P. Bellisario (I think it was his first follow-up to Magnum P.I.) called Tales of the Gold Monkey which aimed to cash in on the popularity of Raiders. From what I understand, it was a live-action version of TaleSpin with humans instead of Jungle Book characters. I've never seen it but it's been on my list for a while.
I remember Tales of the Gold Monkey, and yes, it was exactly what you'd expect a TV ripoff of Raiders to be like. The two-fisted loveable rogue hero owned a seaplane, which let him get into all kinds of scrapes in (I think) the 1930s Far East as people hired him to fly them around looking for hidden treasure and the like. The titular Gold Monkey was the bar he used as a base, but was also a Macguffin everyone was looking for in the pilot episode (that turned out not to be in a lost temple, but was the lost temple). It was a fairly fun show.

It's also a bit problematic now as the star (Stephen Collins) has been exposed as a paedophile.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
MacGyver finding Atlantis and a way out in the climax was also kind of like adventure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Phantom is so bad just because much of the cast (Billy Zane included) are sleepwalking through it for significant chunks of the movie. Billy Zane and Catherine Zeta-Jones' stunt people put in some good work though. I remember the posters for it looked really stupid and had that "SLAM EVIL!" slogan all over them. Somehow Phantom 2040 was way better.

I remember liking The Shadow movie as a kid and I always loved the radio serials (I never read the books though).

The Rocketeer on the other hand is super fun and is also one of the best comic book movies ever made. No one liked the comic at the time because it came out in 1982, and you can imagine how well a story like The Rocketeer's would do when "ZAP! POW! COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE!" headlines were a thing in the wake of comics becoming darker in general in the 80s. Pacific Comics ceased to exist in like 1984 (I think IDW had a run of The Rocketeer going more recently though).

Speaking of adventure movies like that, I never actually saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Does anyone here like that? I remember that article making the rounds here awhile ago about how it was a shame they were first to making a movie with that level of green screen and CG backdrops and stuff since it wasn't popular at the time but that's basically textbook how sci-fi/etc. movies are made today and how they got the cast they did because everyone starring in it was a true believer in the technology.

The source material is more adventuresome but that Flash Gordon movie is so loving good. It's perfect, I have total respect for John Milius/etc. for making a pulpy super fun flick under DiLaurentis' nose. I love the anecdote about how until very very far into production DiLaurentis still thought it was a super serious important sci-fi film. I mean it is important to me but :laffo:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Tintin has a scene that’s basically the truck hijacking from Raiders as one long take, Spielberg took Zemeckis’ motion capture CGI and thoroughly embarrassed him with how much you can do with it.

I have to admit I want to see a timeline where Tom Hanks plays everyone in that Beowfulf movie. :laffo: wasn't the third of the flicks made from that deal Mars Needs Moms?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

It's also a bit problematic now as the star (Stephen Collins) has been exposed as a paedophile.

He also appeared as Willard Decker in Star Trek: The Motion Picture and is best known as the dad from 7th Heaven.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of adventure movies like that, I never actually saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Does anyone here like that? I remember that article making the rounds here awhile ago about how it was a shame they were first to making a movie with that level of green screen and CG backdrops and stuff since it wasn't popular at the time but that's basically textbook how sci-fi/etc. movies are made today and how they got the cast they did because everyone starring in it was a true believer in the technology.

Sky Captain is definitely worth watching for anyone craving more adventure movies. It is certainly uneven, with some pacing problems, but it looks great and captures the feel of a sci-fi pulp adventure serial, just as the director set out to do. I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow or Angelina Jolie have ever looked prettier, either.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

The Phantom is so bad just because much of the cast (Billy Zane included) are sleepwalking through it for significant chunks of the movie. Billy Zane and Catherine Zeta-Jones' stunt people put in some good work though. I remember the posters for it looked really stupid and had that "SLAM EVIL!" slogan all over them. Somehow Phantom 2040 was way better.

This poster, on the other hand, was pretty decent:

You're right it's main problem is that it's boring. There's one scene where Kristy Swanson is on a seaplane, looks out the window and sees Catherine Zeta-Jones's all-female crew of sky pirates bearing down on it, then it cuts away to Billy Zane in his Phantomcave, then cuts back to Kristy Swanson's seaplane already having been forced down offscreen and her being taken prisoner.

Treat Williams is pretty fun as a kind of Gene Hackman Lex Luthor styled evil tycoon, though. If it had just been him as the villain, it might have been better, but they bring in all this stuff about the Singh Brotherhood from the comic strips who show up in the last 15 minutes and are disposed of rather ignominiously when Kristy Swanson and Catherine Zeta-Jones drop a net on them and their leader (who's played by Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa) is killed when he goes to attack the Phantom with a sword, overcommits and somersaults into a pool of piranha fish like the stormtrooper Han Solo killed by fake-out in the Star Wars Holiday Special.

I believe Boam later said that he and Joe Dante had co-written a script which was meant to play up the humour and basically parody the entire pulp adventure genre (about what you'd expect from the guy who did Gremlins and the guy who wrote two Lethal Weapon movies and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) but when it was actually made, they played it straight because they were still chasing after that Batman money. In spite of everything, I actually think it was a bit better than the Shadow (though neither of them were as good as Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty and Al Pacino, which I unabashedly love).

The best pulp/adventure movies of the 90s (off the top of my head) were The Rocketeer and The Mask of Zorro.

quote:

I rewatched it recently and enjoyed it although it's a far from perfect movie; I really liked it when it came out because Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge was one of my favourite games in 2003/2004 and it was the closest I think we've ever gotten to that. Crimson Skies could be such a fun movie. The bad guy is a Nazi mad scientist who wants to destroy Chicago by using a gigantic zeppelin equipped with a machine that generates F5 tornadoes.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 29, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best pulp/adventure movies of the 90s (off the top of my head) were The Rocketeer and The Mask of Zorro.

The Mummy was 1999.

I've still never seen The Phantom or The Mask of Zorro. Maybe I should do something about that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Mummy was 1999.

I've still never seen The Phantom or The Mask of Zorro. Maybe I should do something about that.

I keep forgetting the Mummy even though I loved both of them when I was little. I've got to rewatch them sometime because I haven't seen them in ages. Definitely check out Zorro, though Phantom is pretty inessential.

Movies in the same wheelhouse from around the same time period that I was super hyped but turned out to be very disappointing: Wild Wild West with Will Smith (which I never got to see in the cinema) and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie (which I did).

(The latter would be much better 10 years later when it was called Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neo Rasa posted:

I have to admit I want to see a timeline where Tom Hanks plays everyone in that Beowfulf movie. :laffo: wasn't the third of the flicks made from that deal Mars Needs Moms?

Nope, Mars Needs Moms was the fourth, the third was the Jim Carrey version of A Christmas Carol.

Wheat Loaf posted:

He also appeared as Willard Decker in Star Trek: The Motion Picture and is best known as the dad from 7th Heaven.

He’s presented as the good dad of Dennis and Dee in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Movies in the same wheelhouse from around the same time period that I was super hyped but turned out to be very disappointing: Wild Wild West with Will Smith (which I never got to see in the cinema) and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie (which I did).

(The latter would be much better 10 years later when it was called Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.)

If you wanted to like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen because you like the concept, characters, and setting, but it just wasn't that good of a movie, try watching Penny Dreadful. It's a very similar concept, but done much better, and meant for adults.

Wild Wild West is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I never got around to seeing that second Sherlock Holmes movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you wanted to like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen because you like the concept, characters, and setting, but it just wasn't that good of a movie, try watching Penny Dreadful. It's a very similar concept, but done much better, and meant for adults.

Oh, I've seen Penny Dreadful. I like it a lot but I'm sort of disappointed that it's allegedly responsible for the plug being pulled on a putative TV adaptation of Anno Dracula.

quote:

Wild Wild West is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I never got around to seeing that second Sherlock Holmes movie.

I think the second one is more of the same if you liked the first; it's pretty much "The Final Problem" with bits and pieces of "The Empty House". If you recall the scene in the first one where Holmes is in a boxing match and does that slow-motion analysis of how he'll finish the fight, there's a pretty cool bit at the end of the second one where he's facing down Moriarty and doing the same thing, then it goes over to Moriarty and he's doing it as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was looking forward to Wild Wild West and saw it on opening day. Needless to say that sucked.

If you have Starz you can watch The Phantom right now.

I still have to see those Sherlock Holmes movies. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was so bad.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like many scenes from WWW, but the whole doesnt add up to much.

The mel gibson Maverick is great btw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I like many scenes from WWW, but the whole doesnt add up to much.

The mel gibson Maverick is great btw

Mel Gibson Maverick is excellent and I always feel stupid for forgetting it exists.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

Mel Gibson Maverick is excellent and I always feel stupid for forgetting it exists.

It's a better Han Solo movie than "Solo" will be :toxx:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maverick began its life as Wild, Wild West. Richard Donner was going to direct it, Mel Gibson was going to star as Jim West and Shane Black was going to write the script, but it fell through, so Donner and Gibson did Maverick instead. Black's script for Wild, Wild West is on the Internet but I haven't read any of it.

Best Mel Gibson acting movie since 2000 was Chicken Run. :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I now can't read the name Wild Wild West without mentally prefixing it with "a wicky wicky". God drat you, Will Smith.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Payndz posted:

I now can't read the name Wild Wild West without mentally prefixing it with "a wicky wicky". God drat you, Will Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6aleKfM_AA&t=0m16s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm hard-pressed to think of many big-budget action movies worse than Wild West West. Battlefield Earth, I suppose, but even Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever has more so-bad-it's-good, or at least holy-poo poo-they-did-that, moments. Wild West West just makes everyone in it look bad.

It seems like the best pure action movies these days are stuff that winds up in the "gratuitous B movie" sluices of Netflix, like the Universal Soldier sequels, Undisputed, and so on, and Asian imports.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maverick began its life as Wild, Wild West. Richard Donner was going to direct it, Mel Gibson was going to star as Jim West and Shane Black was going to write the script, but it fell through, so Donner and Gibson did Maverick instead. Black's script for Wild, Wild West is on the Internet but I haven't read any of it.

Watch Blood Father if you haven't seen it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of many big-budget action movies worse than Wild West West. Battlefield Earth, I suppose, but even Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever has more so-bad-it's-good, or at least holy-poo poo-they-did-that, moments. Wild West West just makes everyone in it look bad..
All I can remember about Ecks Vs Sever now is that it was incredibly loving boring. The action was so slow and leaden that there wasn't a single even vaguely exciting moment in the whole thing.

Banderas should stay away from movies where he plays an assassin fighting another assassin, because he's zero for two.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Payndz posted:

All I can remember about Ecks Vs Sever now is that it was incredibly loving boring. The action was so slow and leaden that there wasn't a single even vaguely exciting moment in the whole thing.

Banderas should stay away from movies where he plays an assassin fighting another assassin, because he's zero for two.

I remember Ecks vs Sever solely for a shot of a cop falling 3 or 4 stories off a building into a car where the camera follows, facing down, the entire fall and impact. To this day, I wonder how they did that shot

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

It's too bad because Lucy Liu could and should have been a big action star in the 2000s. I don't even mind those Charlie's Angels movies she was in and I think she's probably the best thing in them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

I remember Ecks vs Sever solely for a shot of a cop falling 3 or 4 stories off a building into a car where the camera follows, facing down, the entire fall and impact. To this day, I wonder how they did that shot
Here's the scene for anyone curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybglNbRQXf0&t=168s
(around 2:45 if it doesn't automatically go there)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I never appreciated it when I was younger, when I rewatched Wild Wild West earlier this year I thought the whole bit where West and Loveless are swapping insults at each other where it amounts to "Haha, you're black!" and "Haha, you're disabled!" is the weirdest thing. I remember thinking, "This is like if Quentin Tarantino made a PG movie."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Here's the scene for anyone curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybglNbRQXf0&t=168s
(around 2:45 if it doesn't automatically go there)
Christ, didn't anyone tell the director "The Matrix was three years ago, man! Move on!"

That's why I remembered it as being boring - there's so much slo-mo that the scene moves like treacle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Christ, didn't anyone tell the director "The Matrix was three years ago, man! Move on!"

There's a lot of early 00s movies that realised the Matrix was a bit of a game changer and wanted to emulate it, but couldn't quite pull it off.

The era when everybody wore a whole lot of black leather and it all seemed very dark and gloomy (I think the Blade movies kicked it off, even though the Matrix was a big contributor as well: see also the X-Men movies, the Resident Evil movies, the Underworld movies, to an extent stuff like Equilibrium, Ultraviolet, even the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has thta kind of aesthetic).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

People didn't really buy Ecks vs. Sever even at the time, probably because it studiously gives them everything they indicated they wanted to buy, in one lazy package. It's a decent cultural artifact now, but it's hardly the only Matrix ripoff and probably not even the worst of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, I don't know if samurai movies count for this thread, but I recently tried the 1989 movie Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman recently after getting the DVD as part of a "5 movies for £20" deal at a local shop. I've not seen any other Zatoichi movies but I know the basic concept (mainly via Stan Sakai's parody of him in Usagi Yojimbo); I believe this one was the original actor's final go in the role.

It starts off enjoyably enough - Zatoichi is released from prison and goes to visit an old friend, then finds the town overrun by rival yakuza gangs - but then it just gets really confusing. So many characters just vanish from the movie, there's all these byzantine machinations around people selling antique muskets to each other that have nothing to do with Zatoichi at all. Is this what the rest of the Zatoichi movies? If so, I'm not sure how they secured their reputation for greatness. If not, did I just make a bad choice and do Zatoichi fans consider this one of the weaker entries in the series?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hey, I don't know if samurai movies count for this thread, but I recently tried the 1989 movie Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman recently after getting the DVD as part of a "5 movies for £20" deal at a local shop. I've not seen any other Zatoichi movies but I know the basic concept (mainly via Stan Sakai's parody of him in Usagi Yojimbo); I believe this one was the original actor's final go in the role.

It starts off enjoyably enough - Zatoichi is released from prison and goes to visit an old friend, then finds the town overrun by rival yakuza gangs - but then it just gets really confusing. So many characters just vanish from the movie, there's all these byzantine machinations around people selling antique muskets to each other that have nothing to do with Zatoichi at all. Is this what the rest of the Zatoichi movies? If so, I'm not sure how they secured their reputation for greatness. If not, did I just make a bad choice and do Zatoichi fans consider this one of the weaker entries in the series?

Broadly, it's considered a lesser one by many fans, both for the reasons you mention and for Shintaro Katsu's noticeably not caring as much as he did during the old ones.

Most of the movies' plots are Zatoichi rolls into town, brefriends a local prostitute, and pisses off the local crimelord with his amazing gambling skills. Some extra criminal enterprise is discovered during the middle act, and then in the third act bad guys get owned because whoever he befriended may get hurt if their plans come to pass.

I have to say the only recent (like 80s and on) Zatoichi film I think is really good is the Takeshi Kitano one from 2003. I don't know what it's on now but I've definitely seen it pop up on Netflix now and then.

dont even fink about it posted:

People didn't really buy Ecks vs. Sever even at the time, probably because it studiously gives them everything they indicated they wanted to buy, in one lazy package. It's a decent cultural artifact now, but it's hardly the only Matrix ripoff and probably not even the worst of them.

This is very true, Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever was dead on arrival. The only interesting thing about it is that it has two video games based on it that are pretty decent, but like the film quickly passed into irrelevance. The first one was an early GBA game that was rushed out so that it could the first FPS on the GBA, it's actually pretty good and, because of that ambition, was released a year before the movie came out! It's a prequel to the events in the movie so that ended up working out I guess. They made a second one based directly on the movie that I never played but IIRC the same engine and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 31, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Broadly, it's considered a lesser one by many fans, both for the reasons you mention and for Shintaro Katsu's noticeably not caring as much as he did during the old ones.

Which of the older ones should I check out if I can find them?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If you have access to Criterion stuff, the entire series got Criterion releases. I would consider checking out

Zatoichi's Flashing Sword
New Tale of Zatoichi
Zatoichi on the Road
Fight, Zatoichi, Fight

I'd actually say that every single one from the 60s and most of the 70s ones are good except for, sadly, Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo. Flashing Sword is considered one of the best by a lot of people and I think you could make a case that it's the best looking of the 60s ones.

They're also similar enough that if you see one or two of them and just straight up hate them, you may just not like Zatoichi flicks, so it will at least save you some time. I'd still check out the 2003 one though because it's just a really good and stylish movie in general despite the cartoony CG blood splatters (something that to Kitano added levity to the action but that's debatable, it's a really nice looking film otherwise).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another movie I watched recently which really disappointed me was Machete Kills, which was a real letdown after I enjoyed the first one. I understand what Rodriguez was trying to do but it just didn't land for me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There is a shitload of genuinely astounding detail in pretty much every shot of that Tintin movie. It's full of Jackie Chan style flair, but you don't need to endanger an insane stunt team to pull it off.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He’s presented as the good dad of Dennis and Dee in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

That is weird and horrifyingly appropriate for Always Sunny's one nice character to turn out to be played by a pedophile.

Wheat Loaf posted:

He had some really effective moments in 'We Were Soldiers' but there's a thick streak of insane jingoism in that movie that undermines a lot of what it was working hard to say.

Payndz posted:

That's why I remembered it as being boring - there's so much slo-mo that the scene moves like treacle.

The overuse of slo-mo is a hallowed tradition. I swear ninety percent of 'A Better Tomorrow 3" is in slo-mo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unoriginal Name posted:

The guy's descent is in slow motion the whole way down, which masks his true speed, so I assume it's a slower and controlled fall on a cable. That could be combined with a fake roof and set of windows on the car to crumple and shatter easily.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dont even fink about it posted:

I think the "worst Matrix rip-offs" would be the scenes in terrible comedy movies that were late to the party in spoofing it. That got beaten into the ground very quickly.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another movie I watched recently which really disappointed me was Machete Kills, which was a real letdown after I enjoyed the first one. I understand what Rodriguez was trying to do but it just didn't land for me.

I didn't even care for the first Machete and it's still miles ahead of that lovely sequel.

It's crazy that his last movie that was any good was Planet Terror, which is a film that gets dunked on by its own second feature. But I guess that's not really a surprise, the best scene in Sin City is easily the one Tarantino directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the "worst Matrix rip-offs" would be the scenes in terrible comedy movies that were late to the party in spoofing it. That got beaten into the ground very quickly.

Yeah that apparently made the Wachowskis real mad that everyone figured out bullet time immediately, so part of the goal with 2 and 3 was to do a bunch of more ridiculous poo poo, like lay down their own highway and have a plastic Neo fight hundreds of plastic Smiths.