Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That's totally fine, the important part is just being an FBI agent. I can drop VASCU as well, I'd just have to think of a different Compact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mors Rattus posted:

Xinder: if you could put those answers together with a basic background writeup as well as your sheet link, that'd be great. I'll look at the sheet after I get home from work today.

Alright, here we go. Sorry it took a bit longer than expected. Holidays and such.

Meredith Andersen is a third-generation Danish immigrant from rural Minnesota. She went straight into the private security business after high school, as her uncle had connections and it paid more than going into law enforcement. Her skills with a gun did not take long to get noticed, but more importantly her general friendly demeanor got her repeat work she wouldn't have gotten otherwise. While not an intimidating woman, a certain type of clientele preferred having someone upbeat to talk to during downtime and travel.

This included the CEO of a major (for the region at least) corporation, who ended up hiring her on retainer at age 25. She'd been working for him for a few months when one night he had a meeting in a secluded warehouse. Which honestly, wasn't too unusual for the guy. What was unusual was when the SWAT team busted through the window and began screaming at her and her boss. The boss who was somehow replaced by a giant hulking monster quite suddenly. After a few minutes of panic, which she doesn't remember very well, she remembers finding herself standing over her boss' naked body, riddled with bullets, and the smoking gun in her own hand. That gun is now her prized possession, and she only takes it off her waist to sleep and shower. The "SWAT team" revealed themselves to her as a Task Force VALKYRIE hit squad, who were impressed by her marksmanship and ability to take down a werewolf, offering her a position in their organization. Realizing how bad it looked for someone in her line of work to have a client die, she decided to take them up on the offer.

Fast forward 12 years of grunt work as a Valk agent. She made many friends amongst the grunts, but somehow never seemed to climb the ranks, instead being transferred around the country every few years for seemingly no reason. More than a decade of working for the organization took its toll on her. She was never told "more than she needed to know" and that often meant valuable intelligence that could have saved the lives of squadmates wasn't "needed to know for the mission". Her last transfer was to a squad in Los Angeles, whom ended up dealing with spirits and wizards and other wizards who were invoking the name of Satan and summoning demons. Cap it all off with the reveal that the squad's CO was a vampire himself and that someone further up the chain was aware of this and was okay with it, and she had enough.

At the conclusion of the mission, she teamed up with one of her squadmates to catch the vampire CO in a compromising position, at which point they managed to exert some leverage over him and had themselves officially marked KIA and "disappeared" with the intent to put all the TFV nonsense behind them. The two soon went their separate ways, however. Meredith used her "severance pay" (read: blackmail money) to purchase a false identity with the name Jane Washington and situated herself in the "Four Corners" region. She has no intention of interacting with TFV again, but does intend to continue protecting people from the monsters that lurk in the dark...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pf4lyh1ec...redith.pdf?dl=0

1. Accidentally killing her boss when working as a personal bodyguard.
2. Accidentally killing a human.
3. Torture.
4. That the nice Italian man (Lucifuge) her Valk squad was working with performed literal Satanic magic.
5. When her boss was revealed to be a werewolf and she killed him in a panic while he was distracted.

How's that, Mors? Too much? Not enough?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Pulling my ap on this one, I think I've just played too many cop-characters recently, I couldn't figure out a character I really wanted to play enough to take a spot. Awesome game concept though, hope everyone has fun. :)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 5, 2018

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

OFFICER BENNY

quote:

Name: Benita "Benny" Williams
Profession: Law enforcement officer
Conspiracy: Bear Lodge
Concept: Ex-DEA agent taking it way easier than she used to.
Virtue: Trustworthy
Vice: Slacker

Health: 7
Willpower: 6

Size: 5
Speed: 11
Defense: 3
Initiative: 4
Integrity: 7

Attributes:

Mental
Intelligence ●●
Wits ●●
Resolve ●●●●

Physical
Strength ●●
Dexterity ●●
Stamina ●●

Social
Presence ●●●
Manipulation ●●
Composure ●●

Skills:

Mental
Investigation ●● (Tracking)
Medicine ●●
Politics ●
Science ●● (Pharmacology)

Physical
Athletics ●
Firearms ●●● (Rifles)
Survival ● (Desert)

Social
Animal Ken ●
Empathy ●●
Socialize ●●
Persuasion ●●
Socialize ●●
Streetwise ●● (Drug-related crime)

Merits: (○ are free from other merits or house rules)
Status (Bear Lodge) ○●● [+1 dots of Contacts, +1 to Willpower vs. Lunacy]
Professional Training (DEA) ○●●● [Assets: Firearms, Medicine, Streetwise; +2 dots of Contacts, 9-again to Asset skills, 3rd Asset and 2 specialties, extra Asset skill dot, take beat when purchasing dots in Asset skills]
Meditative Mind ●●●●
Language (Spanish) ●

Contacts (Bear Lodge, Drug Dealers, DEA) ○○○

Born in the American Northeast, Benita Williams ended up having the grades and aspirations fit for government work. Her clean past and ethical behavior made her a perfect choice for DEA work. Her ethnicity (Mexican immigrant father, Catholic Irish mother) and ability to speak Spanish got her shipped down to South America and Central America for undercover work against the cartels. Hey, better than going to Iraq to burn poppies and weed.

And somewhere along the line she ended up becoming Officer Benny of Farmington.

What happened was that undercover work and the rigors of the job burnt her out hard. The DEA is absolutely ruthless in its training and its pursuit of its goals. Results were demanded above all else. Her service and work was exemplary and well-noted if one is to dig up her declassified files, full of praise and notes about her dedication to the job. Around 12 years into the job, after all of the promotions and recognition, she started to have doubts about what she was doing. She started to look at the heritage she only knew through her father's stories and slowly became less of a believer, more of an agnostic. Yeah, drugs kill, but she was killing herself and killing others with her focus on her career.

Then came the injury in the line of duty, the pain and the therapy. 15 years in and she knew she couldn't do it anymore and the DEA knew she was no longer fit. Going through therapy was an epiphany for her (as was legal weed for the pain) and Benny learned to slow down a little and enjoy life. Her superiors recognized that she wasn't going to (couldn't) play ball the old way. So papers got signed, a vacancy was found and now she's a fixture of Farmington PD, living in a comfy ranch house out by the desert.

Officer Benny is known for being a smiling middle-aged Hispanic woman who still has some of the old hustle but goes a lot slower than she used to. She does talks at the schools about the dangers of drugs and alcohol but mostly focuses on giving as accurate as a picture as she can and warning kids away from the crime element. She also tends to get brought out into jobs where someone has done something stupid, playing good and sympathetic cop who is generally going to give the perp a good-natured lecture. When it comes to her job, there are two things she's serious about : keeping meth and painkiller abuse out of Farmington and the Bear Lodge. It's a "secret" that Benny makes trips into Colorado to get brownie ingredients when she's running low on the legal stuff. She's also become more lenient with lesser drugs and busting people for that. That leniency doesn't apply to poison like meth or cocaine or oxy abuse.

She doesn't really seem to be your standard Bear Lodge initiate with her background but pretty early on she figured that something was up with the Four Corners and Don Isaacs at the lodge was willing to answer some questions. She falls into the Vigilante category of their members. Benny recognizes that there's an ecosystem that most people aren't aware of, a group of monsters and strange beings that exist alongside mankind. As long as the ecosystem's at peace, things...can be tolerated. Just because someone's a Skinwalker doesn't mean they're not a citizen and a lot of the things she's seen boil down to "they were once people and some part of that still remains". Officer Benny's fine with letting let live...up until the ecosystem is disturbed.

If you remove all the predators of the deer, the deer ruin the ecosystem. People shoot deer to keep the ecosystem in check. She's been on enough hunts to help keep the ecosystem stable but made it abundantly clear that she's only tolerating controlled hunting in the Lodge whenever she's involved.

-----

1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?

Broken lives and ruined families. The weight of her actions in the other side of the Americas weigh on her to a certain extent. She's put people behind bars and killed dangerous people but later on in life she's been unable to forget the sheer sense of devastation left behind in her wake. Her meditation and therapy helps but whenever she's walking away from something where someone's inconsolable and some part of it is her fault...it eats her up inside.

2. What is the worst thing your character can imagine themselves doing?

Torture. She's never had to get directly involved in torture. She's had allies in the DEA who have bent the rules for results. She never did that or knowingly involved herself in a situation where they resorted to torture. But she's seen the aftermath of torture and it turns her stomach.

3. What is the worst thing your character can imagine someone else doing?

Prolonged and systematic torture and abuse. It's one thing to beat on a perp until they're spitting blood and crying. The absolute worst thing she can imagine happening would be if a torturer slowly broke down and rebuilt their victim. Certain instances of ghoul relationships would emotionally destroy Benny if she was to realize the sheer depth of what's happened.

4. What strange, inexplicable or otherwise supernatural event has your character forgotten?

On a few occasions, both locally and abroad, Benny has gotten lost. It's not something she's actively aware of but it's strange nevertheless. One time she was out in a national park and she took a wrong turn that wasn't there. She went the wrong way for a good half hour before managing to find her way back to the main trail and only a few minutes had passed. She simply shrugged it as her mind playing tricks on her. It happened in a mall, in an amusement park, on her college campus, on a road in Central America, multiple places. It only happens when she's alone and it's not noticeably strange. She doesn't go to the Hedge or anywhere alien. She simply ends up in a place that does not exist and yet looks and feels like it's business as usual.

5. What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?

A brush with a Slasher that was ultimately the end of her career. A gang in Guatemala had managed to stumble across a Mask that they called Xipe Totec for its predilection of flaying people alive and keeping the skin to make its masks. They had been rising to power by basically luring the Mask where they wanted it to go and keeping it trapped in an insulated, sound-proofed shipping container when it wasn't slaughtering their enemies. Benny and the other agents had gotten the drop on the gang before they could unleash Xipe Totec.

And then she was part of the crew that was popping open containers for evidence and contraband.

Official story was that the container was full of IEDs that severely wounded her and blew the other agents away. Unofficially she and the other agents were hit by the Mask like a cow gets hit by a freight train and it took a good half hour of kiting and sustained gunfire from terrified backup agents and Guatemalan police officers to "kill" Xipe Totec. She got lucky in that it didn't kill her and she flat does not remember what happened, slipping into shock immediately from the pain and passing out before her brain could process the 9 foot tall behemoth tearing her other agents to shreds. The recovery was what set her on the path to changing careers. As for the Mask, well, who knows if they actually succeeded in putting it down or putting it behind bars? If there are any unredacted records, god only knows where they'd be.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 24, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Ana Richardson

Work In Progress

Ana Richardson grew up in Chicago with her parents and her two older brothers. Their house had an honest-to-god white picket fence. She's just happy that they didn't cut her in half to be the platonic ideal of the nuclear family. Ana's pre-college life seemed to follow the trend her parents set up for her: Good student, good athlete, but nothing truly outstanding. Ana wanted to do something with her life, wanted to break out of this statistically-above-average life. She was drawn in to the FBI from a college presentation for were still looking for that purpose. Everything clicked. She now had her interesting thing. She didn't even know the half of it.

Graduating from college, she immediately applied for Agent training as soon as she could. Fairly early on, she ended up on one of the VASCU lists for people with psionic potential. Without missing a beat, she agreed to the Wintergreen Process and immediately showed great aptitude for her new-found abilities. Between the new abilities and her already heightened drive, she finished the VASCU training in good time and became a full-time agent. The only time spent away from VASCU from that moment on was holidays and finishing up her FBI training. Training that turned out to be easier when you had some level of psychic power.

She's on the fence about her most recent reassignment to this rural area. It's apparently a hotbed for mysterious events, but it's also podunk nowhere in the grand scheme of things. Is this a demotion? A test? She's been an agent for the better part of a decade, but the only positive about this shift is that she's being sent out here without too much in terms of oversight.

pre:
Name: Ana Richardson
Virtue: Patient
Vice: Competitiveness
Tier 3 Hunter
Profession: VASCU Agent
Concept: Fully trained VASCU special agent out in the middle of nowhere for evaluation
INT	3	STR	2	PRN 2
WIT	2	DEX	3	MAN 2
RES	3	STA	2	COM 2

Willpower: 5
Health: 7
Defense: 5
Initiative: 5
Speed: 10
Integrity: 7

MERITS:
Professional Training - 4 (Asset Skills: Occult, Investigation, Athletics) (1 pt free from house rule)
VASCU Status - 3 (1 pt Free)
FBI Status - 1 (From VASCU Status 3)
Contacts - 2 (From Professional Training, FBI Agents, Psychologists)
Informatics - 3 (Free)
---Just One More Thing (1)
---Psychometry (2)
---Speed of Thought (3)
Indomitable - 2

SKILLS
MENTAL
Computer 2
Crafts 2 (Automotives)
Investigation 2 
Occult 2 (Urban Legends)
Academics 1
Politics 1
Science 1 

PHYSICAL
Athletics 3 (1 free, Distance Running)
Drive 2
Firearms 2 (Handguns)
Brawl 1

SOCIAL
Subterfuge 2
Socialize 1
Intimidation 1 (Interrogation)
1. What is the worst thing your character has ever done, from their own perspective?

Shot a civilian in self-defense. Case involved a vampire who had gone off the rails in New York City, building up a serial killer profile. Supernatural powers made the civilian not in full control of their faculties, but she shot him without a second thought, felt it was a kill-or-be-killed situation at the time. With a little bit stronger skillset, probably wouldn't have been.

She's not sure what the Wintergreen Process does in the long term. What if it explains some of the cases she's been on with less than perfect answers? What if it makes her into one of the supernatural, a monster herself? Once you cross that line, killing will seem normal, all these messed up things will become normal.

All the files that the agency has on Slashers are disturbing. Murdering because you think that's why you're on this earth? Torture and everything else? I don't need to imagine it, but that level of depravity, that complete lack of humanity is terrifying.

4. What strange, inexplicable or otherwise supernatural event has your character forgotten?

November 14th, 2012. She flew into LAX for a case that morning, looking into a mass kidnapping of children. The fae, most likely. Only one that would make sense. There was a solution reached with the creatures. Sent home on the red-eye flight out that night.

She stepped into a place she shouldn't have, got a peek at someone that should have been unseen, then negotiated with him. Completely out of her depth.

Ana left behind a team member on an all-hands-on-deck manhunt for a serial killer in northern New York. It was tactically prudent, given the general MO of the perp in question who used team members to attract entire teams, but listening to the man getting tortured to death was not kind to her.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 27, 2017

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?
drat I'm into this. I have an FBI agent with Cryokinesis who might fit in... though I might go with another concept.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Charlotte "Lottie" Ebner
Concept: FBI Analyst who discovered the supernatural and now is in way over her head.

You know what the problem is with being smart? You always see the things that other people don't. Of course, the government loves that kind of thing. They trained me, honed my skills, gave me all the things they needed to use my mind to the fullest. I was one of the best graduates of the FBI Intelligence Training in years. I was fantastic. That's not a brag, by the way. Well, maybe a little bit, but it's on record, if you can get access to my file. I had a sweet career ahead of me. Maybe I could even have become a director, or something. If I hadn't been too good at my job, of course.

I started noticing...patterns, in cases that were never solved because they couldn't find the killer, couldn't explain the deaths. Saw them recur in older, colder cases. Death by bloodloss, without bullet or stab wounds. Maulings not even remotely near any bear or mountain lion territory. Burnt corpses in otherwise untouched areas without even the slightest evidence of accelerant. Weird things. Things that shouldn't have happened. So I dug deeper. On my off-time, of course. Wouldn't do to get stuck in cold cases when there's lots of murders happening in the present. But I did get stuck. Even with all my cleverness, I couldn't find the truth. I couldn't find the answers I sought. It was maddening. I was running into dead end after dead end, but I was determined to find out how these things had happened.

I didn't discover the truth until years later. I'd started venturing out from the office to look at crime scenes. Or, well, areas that once were crime scenes. If you know analysts, you know that's a hell of a no-no. I hadn't even had field training, beyond the very basics. So I was awfully unprepared when I was attacked. A blur in the night, an iron grip around my throat; and then fire, and I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was being tended to by a creepy old man; I mean, he was nice, and all, but he had this weird...intensity about him. He didn't give me his name, but he said he knew my family - my grandfather, specifically, and what he'd done. It's not something we ever tell anybody. People tend to give you this weird look when you tell them your sweet old granpappy was a Nazi, you know? Unless you're my cousin Gerald. Then you love that sort of thing, and call yourself an 'alt-right' and want to make America great again. He doesn't show up to the family gatherings anymore, by the way. We kind of kicked him out for being an idiot, and thinking grandpa was a hero.

Anyway, creepy old man said that there was more to this world than psychopaths and spur-of-the-moment deaths. That all those weird deaths I'd been investigating had a different cause. I wasn't ready for that, even though he said that I had a debt to pay. That now that I knew the truth, I had an obligation to serve. He had a point. Still ain't ready, though, now that I'm in this backwater shithole. I don't wanna go out there and face werewolves and vampires and god knows what else. I'm not fit for that. But... I still see the patterns. I'm too smart not to. I have more information to gather and subsequently dispense. And then the tough people can do the fighting. That'll suit me just fine.

--

Charlotte has these weird...hunches, sometimes. A conviction. Knowing somebody has done something, or something has happened, even if she can't prove it; but they're always true. So this one time, when she was investigating a series of deaths, she was working with the evidence at hand and got a hunch while reading the data, about the suspect. She knew who'd done it. Like she could see it happening in her mind's eye. But there was no real evidence. Nothing that would stand up in a court of law. She couldn't prove it. There were three more deaths; and then they stopped. She knows the killer is still out there. She should have forged something. Should have made something up. Maybe those people would still be alive, then. So it's not what she did; it's what she didn't do.

Killing somebody. Lottie knows how to wield a gun, even if she'd rather not. In Four Corners, she doesn't have the safety of her desk. She has to go out there. One day, she might have to fire her gun at an enemy. She wouldn't know how to go on if she was responsible for taking a life.

Killing a person in cold blood, when they're unable to defend themselves, whether they deserve it or not.

Once, when she was much, much younger, little Charlotte, then 13 years old, was walking home from a party. It wasn't far to her house, so her mother had trusted her to walk back on her own. She happened to stumble across a man who was very kind and worried about her safety; but mom had told her not to trust strangers, no matter how kind they were, so she bid him goodbye and continued home.

Yet there he was again, just a block later. Charlotte ran, turning her back to him, hoping to make it back to her friend's house. But no matter how or where she went, she couldn't seem to escape him. It was only a passing police car that prevented her from becoming a vampire snack that day... and she forgot all about how that man had been so strangely present, no matter where she turned.

The day a man in a fancy suit with a bunch of medals showed up at her door and told her her father had been killed while serving overseas. Her father had been her rock, the one she could always rely on, even if he had to be away so much. She would call him, email him, and he would always respond, even if not immediately. She could always rely on his advice, his support, and when he was home, he always gave the best hugs. Knowing that all of that would be gone forever left Charlotte with a hole in her heart. She still dreams about him, sometimes. Rescuing her from a bad guy, or just playing baseball with her. Being the hero he always was to her. And she inevitably wakes up with tears in her eyes when she realizes it was only a dream.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 30, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Winston "Stoney" Fisher

pre:
Name:        Winston “Stoney” Fisher
Player:        Fuzz
Concept:    Washed up coroner who’s Seen Too Much
Profession:    Montezuma County Medical Examiner (Doctor)
Tier:        2
Compact:    The Union
Virtue:         Humble
Vice:        Pessimistic
Winston took a long pull off his Lucky Strike as he rubbed his eyes and nodded to Brandie, the bartender, still nursing his scotch. A small luxury to be able to still smoke in here... she didn't mind, no one else seemed to care as he puffed away in his corner of the bar, and the local state troopers never bothered busting his chops for it. He blinked a few times as he stared down into his ashtray, the last butt still moldering in it. His meditative introspection was interrupted as a black and white photo suddenly appeared in front of him. He glanced up at the Hell's Angel standing over his shoulder.

"This seat taken?"
"... by all means."

He studied the larger man, a good 20 years Winston's junior, his neck as thick as one of the coroner's arms, his bulky frame swathed in a thick black leather jacket, all manner of pins and chains adorning it. He glanced up at Brandie, but found she was on the far end of the bar... it was just him and this guy...

"Look familiar to you?" the large man gestured with his chin toward the photo.

He snapped out of his study to look down at the photo, actually taking it in this time. Those cuts... no...
bite marks...

"... where the hell did you get this?"
"I'll take that as a 'yes'."

Winston studied the larger man as he rolled his own cigarette slowly, carefully in his two big hands which could have been mistaken for bear paws, they were so thick and large. Who the hell
was this guy?

"Got a light?"
"... Yeah," he slid his beat up old zippo over with the flick of an index finger, "... so where'd you get it? You know what did this?"

The biker took the lighter with a nod of thanks and flick-flick-flicked his cigarette into life, "You don't know the half of it. Interested, then, I take it?"

Winston gripped the edges of the photo as he studied the details of the dead girl's face, the bite marks that had shredded her frail little form.

"... Yeah."

------------

Winston had been a rather successful ME back in New York, slowly working his way up after completing his residency and fellowship in Forensic Pathology at NYU, until after an impressively short tenure of only 10 years as an attending, he finally was Chief Medical Examiner for all of Brooklyn. The NYPD had no shortage of work for him, and on multiple occasions he had worked side by side with the FBI on cases, at times reporting directly to the Division Chief of the Bureau for the Northeast desk. It was this particular Division Chief, Walton Tyrell, who was responsible for his current predicament... though really, Winston had no one to blame but himself. The victim in the case had been dredged up in the Harlem River sometime before sunrise, caught by some local kid on his toy fishing line... that was gonna be a big pile of therapy. After the Blues dredged up more than just the hand that was poking up over the water, Winston had the displeasure of being called in directly to oversee the examination, the Fed Chief calling him directly as he walked in the door that morning... funny, considering the FBI hadn't been called in on the case yet. That changed by the afternoon, of course, as these things do, and the body... well.

Suffice it to say, Tyrell didn't like Stone's conclusions. "You're fishing for stones again," he said, "better to drop it, you can't put out an alarmist crock like that as a report, they'll laugh you out of town."
"It's the truth. Nothing human or beast that I know of did this to that girl, look here on- "
"I said it'd be better to drop it."

But Winston, being Winston, couldn't let it go. He filed the report anyway, and was promptly replaced by his Junior, who refiled another report by the next morning in which his reexamination determined that the girl's body had been caught up in a large shipping vessel's propellers, no doubt, and the previous report was misguided and fantastical at best. Life in New York didn't last long after that.

"Go West, young man."
Yeah, sure thing,
Horace.

His belongings packed in a freshly purchased used Winnebago, Winston did just that. Somewhere along the way, he ended up in Colorado, landing himself a job as the County ME for Montezuma, mainly on account of the county not actually having one of its own. Nothing particularly exciting, the odd heart attack, mostly deaths due to old age or natural causes. The deceased Navajo often game in with stabbings or vehicular trauma, but more often than not it was just bad cirrhosis and liver failure... sign of the times. He didn't mind, it gave him a lot of free time, free time to peruse the internet, read up on old ghost stories, go out camping on weekends with Sheridan to smoke peyote and howl at the moon like a pair of tomcats... now there was a character. Lot of good stories from that one. But then that biker found him, and now, 5 years later, he was in deep. The weekend outings with Sheridan had turned from inebriated lamentations to whispered summits on the nature of the unnatural.

So much for dropping it.

------------

After his wife had a miscarriage a few years into his tenure as ME, the relationship was strained and his focus was so on the work, that he didn't make time for her. She left him, and he let her go, the heavy burden of that trauma following her to her grave less than a year later. The office had assigned one of his juniors as the primary, but against everyone's recommendations, he took the file. She had been his wife, dammit. Suicides always warranted a full exam, just to rule out foul play, and hers was no different than most of the others... a bottle of pills, a warm tub, a razor. He did the work dispassionately, telling himself this was a form of therapy, that as he washed the sticky ichor of her innards off his gloves and scrubbed his hands he was also washing away his guilt for not being there, but he knew that was a lie. He should have been there for her, he could have been there for her, but he wasn't. He may as well have handed her the razor, in his mind.

Taking an innocent person's life with his own hands. Hell, any human life, really. Winston is not a violent man, even if he did box a bit back in high school and college.

Cannibalism. The office of the ME comes with a fair bit of baggage, but first and foremost is respect for the dead. Desecrating the body with violence or trying to hide the evidence, that happened all the time. Animals getting to it before it's found, again... nature has its ways. But a human being eating another human... there's something inherently wrong about that to him.

When his wife went into labor, they rushed straight to the hospital. She was a little premature, sure, but only by 4 weeks, and plenty of other babies were born that early and did just fine, even back then in the 80s. A healthy baby girl came out, though she didn't cry, only looked up at him with her bright blue eyes. He remembers seeing her, so healthy, so alive... and yet... that's all just a dream. He has those dreams a lot, that his little girl had been born alive. She'd be a grown woman, now. But no, Linda miscarried... a small, misshapen grey lump had come out, with only the barest resemblance to something humanoid... it came out, it was still, and the obstetricians covered it with a sheet and rushed him out of the room. What he wouldn't have given for some sonograms back in those days. But still, the dreams haunt him, of the pale little girl, so alive and alert, coming out and looking so peaceful as she looked up at him and grabbed his index finger and held onto it so tight...
A shared delusion, nothing more. Linda had kept insisting that their little girl had lived, that she was real, that she had disappeared and been taken away, but Winston's waking mind clearly recalled the grey lump. It was that delusion that drove them apart, drove her to ultimately take her own life... he didn't even give it a second thought when, on doing Linda's autopsy, he found no uterus or ovaries, and no visible scar to mark the hysterectomy she must have had to have had in order for it to be missing... after all, she had been pregnant less than a year prior, right? Mixed feelings and guilt clouded his memory of that, too.

See #1, performing the medical examination for his wife's corpse after suicide. He chose to do it despite everyone telling him not to, and the vision of her pale body on that slab still haunts him in his sleep. Sometimes she sits up and looks at him, tears in her eyes as she holds her dead, empty belly. In his dreams he remembers that there's nothing in there, not even the hardware needed to make another baby. "Persephone," she says. The name she had wanted for their little girl. The name of the grey lump.

EDIT: If it wasn't obvious, Tricky, Dyne, and I have some overlap in our histories... the coroner referred to in Dyne's sheet is Winston, and Sheridan is Sheridan Claw, the Navajo Tribal Policeman.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Hey Mors I've finally finished Sarah except for one Skill Specialty. I wanted it to cover horse-riding, which skill would cover that? Animal Ken?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would accept Animal Ken or Survival.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Mors Rattus posted:

I would accept Animal Ken or Survival.

I put it in Survival. Also found some half-decent art so I believe I'm done

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doors my character look okay? Will I be totally out of sorts if I don't pick any endowments or funky magic powers?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Fuzz posted:

Doors my character look okay? Will I be totally out of sorts if I don't pick any endowments or funky magic powers?

You're still free to pick up 2 more dots of merits, given the free dots you get thanks to Mors' houserules (1 dot of PT, 1 dot of compact status). Also, you can get the 3 dots worth of supernatural merits/minor template/something else as per the house rules. If you wanna stay away from magic stuff, that doesn't necessarily make you out of sorts, just the guy that wants to stay as far away from that poo poo as possible, I suppose.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wahad posted:

You're still free to pick up 2 more dots of merits, given the free dots you get thanks to Mors' houserules (1 dot of PT, 1 dot of compact status). Also, you can get the 3 dots worth of supernatural merits/minor template/something else as per the house rules. If you wanna stay away from magic stuff, that doesn't necessarily make you out of sorts, just the guy that wants to stay as far away from that poo poo as possible, I suppose.

Forgot I had 2 more merits to work with, but yeah, I wanted him to just be the "regular Joe" type of guy that every cop show needs.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah I took the least 'supernatural' of the supernatural merits cause I just wanna be a regular rear end dude, too.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thirded. Also unless I need to change anything, I too am complete.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you do not want any magic powers, you do not need to use those 3 dots. You can declare you are using a narrative benefit, like 'I am Ice T and can just make up drug names whenever I want and be right' or whatever.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mors Rattus posted:

If you do not want any magic powers, you do not need to use those 3 dots. You can declare you are using a narrative benefit, like 'I am Ice T and can just make up drug names whenever I want and be right' or whatever.

They're callin' it Walrus Tarts, It's made from Sudafed and Ambien. Found this chick in a Applebee's wearin' a beige zentai suit giving herself a tattoo of E.T. in drag.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

I would like to have this ability, please.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Jennifer Smith
Demon-Blooded Sheriff's Daughter

Sheet Here

Jenny is the daughter of the local Sheriff, John Smith, and a Demon, Dahlia Smith (Current whereabouts: unknown.) Jenny's childhood was thus spent learning two main things: first, from her father, that you can fight back against the bad guys and the good guys can win, and second, from her mother, that there's bad guys out there way scarier than the local mean drunk, and drawing their attention isn't always a good idea.

Jenny would probably value Dahlia's lessons about the importance of staying off the radar a little more if Dahlia hadn't left when Jenny was fourteen, with a literal Dear John note for her father explaining that she couldn't put the family at risk any further. Jenny's still secretive, sure, or at least as secretive as one can be as the daughter of the local law enforcement in an area like the Four Corners, but her dad's idealism--surprisingly, he's a genuine good cop--has led her to do something her mother would consider extremely dangerous--she's started seeking ways to expose the things that go bump in the night, to show the world that there's danger out there beyond what they know, but also, that with the right tools and preparation, that these things can be stopped.

Jenny knows she's different. Her stark-white hair made her stand out at school, and would never take dye. (At age nine she tried to cut it all herself, and the resulting hairstyle disaster made her even more a target for verbal harassment.) Her skin was always pale, too, but that's because she'd spend her time indoors with techno-toys--cameras, computers, all that kind of stuff. Plus, none of the other kids around knew about the God-Machine, and the secret she shared with her mother made her feel special, up until Dahlia left.

What is the worst thing your character has ever done?
Jenny's the daughter of a good cop--and while sometimes this would result in a rebellious phase during adolescence, Jenny's issues are with her mother, not her Dad. She's kept her record clean, largely by not doing anything that could get her caught. She knows how easy it is to find out secrets, if you know how to look, after all. The thing is...she's looked into other people's secrets, violated their privacy, rummaged through their virtual identities, found their dirty laundry. She's never used any of the information for criminal purposes...but she knows how.

What is the worst thing your character can imagine herself doing?
Ahhhhh. This one, this one goes farther. John tried to keep Jenny from finding out about the awful poo poo humans can do to one another, but Dahlia didn't hold back on the way the world is, and Jenny can imagine herself doing quite a lot to keep herself and her loved ones safe. Murder doesn't even begin to cover it. Jenny knows that if it were the only way she could be sure the God Machine or some other threat out there in the dark would leave her family alone, she'd resort to torture. She doesn't spend much time thinking about it, of course, so the depths of depravity she could sink to if pushed haven't really been explored, but...torture? She knows she'd be willing to do that. If she had no choice.

What is the worst thing your character can imagine someone else doing?
Cannibalism. Or maybe anthropophagy--Jenny knows there's more out there than just humans, after all. There's something about feeding on the flesh of something that was a person that disturbs Jennifer on a level that other terrible things don't. It's a desecration, a violation. (It's specifically eating them, not just like, drinking their blood. It's the violation of the corpse specifically that bothers her.)

What has your character forgotten?
Dahlia didn't just leave without saying goodbye... (see below)

What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?
...she left because another Demon found her (and Jenny) and was waiting for Jenny on the way home from school. The other Demon had a history with Dahlia, and wanted her to help take down some Infrastructure. The thing is, he wasn't interested in risking taking 'no' for an answer--Jenny was his insurance, his threat. He didn't realize Jenny was Dahlia's true daughter immediately, though--and when he did, he showed Dahlia the kindness of allowing her to say goodbye to Jenny.

It was Dahlia herself who removed the memory of her departure and the conversation leading up to it. All Jenny remembers is being abducted, then being brought back home--a hole in her otherwise excellent memory that bothers her to this day.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So... picks? :pray:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Expect them tonight.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, this wasn't easy, and that's why these didn't go up yesterday. We got 12 characters here and I can handle a game of maybe 6. So...well, I had to make some cuts. I've tried to put together a diverse team with a broad skillset that I think will bounce off each other in fun ways.

Nowhere Squad
MollyMetroid as Jennifer Smith, Network Zero and daughter of the sheriff. The Penelope Garcia.
Wahad as Lottie Ebner, Loyalist of Thule and FBI analyst. The Dana Scully.
Bendigeidfran as Latoria Morgan II, VASCU and ex-park ranger. The Abby Sciuto.
Tricky as Sheridan Claw, Knight of Saint Adrian and Navajo tribal cop. The Hawk Hill.
Dachsundofdoom as James Little, Union and gigantic bruiser cop. The Derek Morgan.
Hostile V as Benita Williams, Bear Lodge and former DEA. The Jim Longworth.

Work out how you guys think of each other and the job.

Oh, and answer me this, what is a better pilot episode:

1: "Pilot" - When the ritualistic murder of a local native is found on the edge of federal land, a team of misfits must crack the case while caught between a church that insists Satanic rites are going on and a group of Navajo who don't trust cops.

2: "Pilot" - When a local teen goes missing during a wild night, a team of misfits must work together to figure out what he was hunting for, why, and what happens if he found it.

3: "Pilot" - When an antique revolver slug is found in the heart of a historian researching the old West, a team of misfits must figure out why - both now in the 21st century and then, in the 19th.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 6, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Nowhere Squad Impressions

Jennifer Smith - She's a good kid, but she creeps me out sometimes. Jenny's a little too nosy for her own good. That might be great when it comes to finding out what's out there... but I can't help but shake the feeling I should be paranoid. Some secrets weren't meant to be known.
Latoria Morgan II - Not so sure about those swords of hers. I'd rather have a gun at my side any time. But she knows the desert, and that's good enough for me.
Sheridan Claw - A good man. Old, but not yet done. I can respect that, even if I can see the toll it's taken on him. Everybody can, I think.
James Little - I'm glad he's here. Yeah, most of the others can stand their ground, but push comes to shove, he's the biggest guy in the room and everybody knows it. Sweetheart or not, he's a protector, and that's worth a lot.
Benita Williams - Oof. I've known a few people that went undercover. I know what it does to people. But Benny's good people. And a badass, even if she's taking it slower now. Plus she knows how to get the best weed.

The Job: Well, it sure doesn't beat sitting in a cozy office with all the databases I could want at my fingertips. Four Corners is awful for any analyst worth their salt expecting to get stuff done. But I have a duty, here, and I'll see it through, even if I have to work with stacks of paperwork. Even if I have to go out in the field...

Voting for Pilot #1.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 6, 2018

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Jenny is friendly and helpful, but at the same time a little aloof. She tries to keep people, even those she likes, at arm's length. Plays it up as not wanting to get hurt the way she was when her mom left.

She thinks Lottie is a good investigator, and that means she treats her with respect and a bit of distance.
Officer Benny she likes.
Sheridan Claw and James Little strike me as locals, probably know Jenny's father and her family history. Depending on their ages, might have been in school at the same time, though Jenny went off to college for a few years out of town for some of her techy stuff, then possibly inexplicably came back to the middle of nowhere.
Latoria...Jenny's a bit unsure what to make of her.

The job is...pretty much why Jenny came back to Four Corners. It's a good place for Weird poo poo to hide, and unearthing Weird poo poo is kind of Jenny's drive.

As for the pilot, I like all three options and wanna do any of them at some point but I think the strongest Pilot Episode is the ritual murder one.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alright, impressions! Also, important question, has your character ever shaken Sheridan's hand?

Jennifer Smith — "It's amazing what she can make a computer do, even if I don't understand half the words coming out of her mouth when she starts talking shop. I wish she wasn't getting caught up in all this, but... Well, I'll just have to keep an eye out for her. She's John's kid, after all."
Lottie Ebner — "A sharp mind, that one. I think she's still a little caught up in the why and how for this business, but she'll catch on soon. They always do."
Latoria Morgan II — "I've got a lot of respect for park rangers. The weirdest poo poo seems to happen in the middle of nowhere, and many can't handle the solitude."
James Little — "A big man with a big heart. It's good to see someone so happy about confronting the darkness."
Benita Williams — "We're more alike than any others on the squad. The old-timers, if you will. We've swapped some tips about pain management. Her brownies do the job, but I have a few traditional Navajo remedies that aren't half bad either."

The Job — "Someone's gotta do it and, to be perfectly honest, it beats the hell out of forced retirement. I wish we got a little more respect from the different agencies, if only to make our job easier, but I've spent my life protecting and serving. This is just the next front."

Also voting for Pilot #1.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Jennifer Smith: She's an odd duck, a lawman's daughter who's still somehow on the straight and narrow. Thinks for herself, though. That's good. Heard her mom's part of some unsolved disappearance, little bit of a local legend but she stands well enough on her own. Either way she's good with a camera and not obnoxious about it and makes for good company.

Charlotte Ebner: I see a lot of who I used to be in her. She's drat good at what she does but...I can see her walking the line like I did. I like working with her but I do worry she's going to be another woman broken by the job. And no...I haven't been "sneaking her weed", she just enjoys my baking, that's all. I keep my containers properly marked, I assure you.

Latoria Morgan II: Oh Latoria? I like her a lot, shame she moved on from park work. Good at her job, good lay of the land and she's just the right amount of chill. The other hunters of the Lodge have nothing but good things to say about her either because you could trust her to turn a blind eye to a necessary hunt. Park rangers know what's up, shame they never brought her into the fold.

Sheridan Claw: I didn't have much to do with Officer Claw. Good man, does his job well, but there's not a big overlap between FPD and his jurisdiction. But if there is, I got his back and I know he's got mine, simple as that. Done enough work with local police forces to know that when an outsider blunders in, poo poo goes wrong, best to just support if they ask.

James Little: Officer Little is always a joy to work with. He plays a good strong silent cop when he needs to but he's just a big teddy bear. Not gonna lie, had my reservations about working with a bear of a man who used to play football and then stuck around to be a lawman. Shame on me though, he's a good guy and we've done good together in the past.

I like Farmington. It's not my normal environment but I've gotten adjusted. It's not dull but it's just....comfortable, beautiful. Worth protecting. Worth hiking to the top of a mesa and meditating with the rising sun. I wish I could have skipped everything that came before and just started here, but who knows if I'd still appreciate it.

At any rate, I have a job to do.

I'd vote for pilot 1or 2 and Benny has more likely than not shaken Sheridan's hand.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Jennifer Smith - A little spooky looking, but she knows her stuff. I sure couldn't do any of that stuff with a computer; heck, I can barely navigate the Union forums. And I've met her dad a few times, he's a good guy. God forbid anything happens to her on my watch. Losing his wife was bad enough.
Latoria Morgan II - Always respected the park rangers. There's a lot of land to cover and too few people to cover it, so you know anybody who lasts in that job is gonna know their stuff. It's gonna take me a while to get used to the sword and all. Or rather, it's gonna take me a while to get used to being on a team that takes this stuff seriously enough to know that a gun isn't always enough for the stuff out there. I've read some real hair-raising stories on the Union about the kind of punishment some monsters can take.
Sheridan Claw - He's been worn down by the fight, but he's still swinging. I look up to that. It's up to us to keep people safe. We have to carry this burden of knowing so other people don't have to.
Lottie Ebner - I dunno about Lottie. She's smart, like Jennifer, but she's got that scared look in her eyes. Not that it's bad to be scared. I mean, I'm two heads above everybody else and I'm shakin' in my boots about the stuff we're after. But if and when things go sideways, I hope she doesn't panic and make a serious mistake.
Benita Williams - Hey, Officer Benny! I used to see her around all the time back when I was on the beat. Being up in homicide for the past few years made me kinda lose touch with all the guys who work the streets. But I was always glad to see her at a crime scene, and I'm glad to see her here. I was little nervous when I found out she used to be DEA, since those folks tend to be real, uh, hardcore. But she's as nice as anybody else. Maybe that's why she left, that and the injury.

The Job: This is everything I ever wanted. If Nowhere Squad had existed 5 years ago, I'd have wanted to transfer here instead of homicide. I just don't get how people can just ignore all the weirdness out there! ...Well, I guess I do. Ignorance is bliss, right? But how could you forgive yourself if one of those things hurt someone you loved, and you knew about it, and you did nothing because you were too scared? No way. Home First, like the Union says. If you see something, do something.

And I'll join in on the Pilot #1 landslide.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 7, 2018

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Jennifer Smith - I knew that amazing hair looked familiar! Turns out I subscribed to my new co-worker's WitchTV channel months ago, and what, she's a genius hacker to boot? God, our team is cool. I can only imagine what kind of secrets she's got tucked in that dome of hers.

Lottie Ebner - So I am about...90% sure she's also a psychic. And I'm not just saying that cuz some folks at Operations are breathing down my neck about her. Look, I'll clear with you, that isn't what I'm about. Lottie seems really uncertain about all these things she's seeing, and drat if I haven't been there.

Sheridan Claw - What are those tats for? Those "LOVE/HATE" ink knuckle-dusters. Something about 'em seems indescribably awesome.

James Little - Everyone loves a small-town gentle giant, and heck I'm no exception. Officer Little's just so sweet and lovable, you know? Can't say I really understand all the football talk buzzing around him, though.

Benita Williams - She's kind of like our aunt, if your aunt had the scars of a hundred gunfights and smelled like weed. To be honest I'm still a bit wary about her little family farm, but I guess if anyone knows how to keep that kinda thing under wraps it's former DEA.

The Job: We're some kind of specially assembled super-team, aren't we? "Nowhere Squad". It's got a good ring to it. So far it seems like what I was investigating on my own, just with uh hopefully more support. Though this is Four Corners we're talking about. At least it has to be more than what we got in the Park Service! I swear, if i have to buy my own radio again...

Latoria has 100% shaken Sheridan's hand, and I'll join the chorus for Pilot #1.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 7, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

drat. Well, good luck guys!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thread will be up by Wednesday; probably not much sooner, my grandmother died last night and funeral prep is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thread's up.

• Locked thread