Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Slaan posted:

Sure, sounds good

##vote bread

## vote slaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Buenas, hilo.

GeneX posted:

Ok 21 people posted answers to Bif's questions in that thread, I'm tired, here's what I've got, good night

I now have thoughts on probable scum tactics for answering/preferences but I'd rather not post those in the same post as giant list of people's answers, for obvious reasons
I'm a little embarrassed to admit how long it took me to realize you're bad at imgur links. That said, it's a little weird to be focusing on scum-hunting in the other thread--it does a lot more good for us to be looking at this one.

SalTheBard posted:

Since I haven't done a shine game before...exactly why are we voting to lynch? I assumed we are all on the same side since we were drafted to this team.
Did you... did you read the rules at all? :ohdear:

TMMadman posted:

If you had the ability to know 2 of the abilities of someone (but not alignment/class/background/rank), who would you use it on and why?
MMT, because I know from past experience I'll have a hard time reading her and I want all the help I can get.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Max Peck posted:

Buenas, hilo.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how long it took me to realize you're bad at imgur links. That said, it's a little weird to be focusing on scum-hunting in the other thread--it does a lot more good for us to be looking at this one.

MMT, because I know from past experience I'll have a hard time reading her and I want all the help I can get.

*serves up some breakfast to Max Peck*

I have to say I agree with you about Gene right now. I mean it's kind of nice to know that information, but at the same time collecting information on the other thread and then providing it to this thread is a great way to look busy without actually scumhunting.

I also like your answer about MMT because I often have trouble reading her as well.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TMMadman posted:

But before I give anyone a serving, you have to answer a question first. And that question is: If you had the ability to know 2 of the abilities of someone (but not alignment/class/background/rank), who would you use it on and why?

Since Peck already said Murmur Twin who I also struggle to read, I’d pick you, Madman. Even if you don’t post as much as you used to, you’re still a forceful personality. Mafia is just as much about convincing people to listen to you as being right and while I know some folks historically grate against your posting style I think you’re probably one of the better people about getting folks to listen. Any clues around you would be good. Also when you and Kashuno inevitably end up at each other it would be good to know about one of you :v:

Honorable mention to Kashuno for largely the same reasons.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
are we four pages in and trying to decide who to dayvig based on jokephase

thinking

re:combat

I can fight and I can make do in the front, but I'm feistier in the back.

how many days do soldier games on average last

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Since Peck already said Murmur Twin who I also struggle to read, I’d pick you, Madman. Even if you don’t post as much as you used to, you’re still a forceful personality. Mafia is just as much about convincing people to listen to you as being right and while I know some folks historically grate against your posting style I think you’re probably one of the better people about getting folks to listen. Any clues around you would be good. Also when you and Kashuno inevitably end up at each other it would be good to know about one of you :v:

Honorable mention to Kashuno for largely the same reasons.

I'll accept that because I have changed my style a bit and don't play as often any more.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gamerofthegame posted:

thinking

Who is talking about dayvigs? Are you reading the game?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kid gives his good morning-afternoons all quiet-like, but considers bringin' up like the others that they'd be hard-pressed to figure out what's goin' on across the field of battle. He figures himself a good Kid, but he don't think any sort of figurin' out who to and who not to shoot from the other side is gonna amount to a hill of squat in the end, and anyone thinkin' otherwise is chasing fool's gold.

Kid ain't sure who's specialties he'd like to know about, but he thinks saving those for when things get a little dicier might be a better play than firing them off right away. Figures it's a better idea to save any potential turnarounds for when the mood sours, rather than when we're all buddy-buddy. But the Kid doesn't know if that's a worthwhile opinion or not.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

Who is talking about dayvigs? Are you reading the game?

Dayvig is one of Bif's questions.

I think it's generally a good idea to look at the other thread, mostly because once we have some flips we can start to piece together who in the other thread is most likely on our team.

Unfortunately we shouldn't share those suspicions, because it could direct the Texans towards our allies. Still, it might help individuals choose their targets.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Dayvig is one of Bif's questions.

I think it's generally a good idea to look at the other thread, mostly because once we have some flips we can start to piece together who in the other thread is most likely on our team.

Unfortunately we shouldn't share those suspicions, because it could direct the Texans towards our allies. Still, it might help individuals choose their targets.

Yeah, but gamer said 'are we four pages in and talking about dayvigs', so clearly he is asking why we are talking about dayvigs, but nobody in this thread has asked about dayvigs afaik.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
I would also go with MMT or TMM tbh, mostly because this exchange pinged me early on:

Murmur Twin posted:

Also!

##vote TMM - I have a theory.

TMMadman posted:

##vote MMT

Your theory is wrong.

Its not much, but it just seemed like it was planned (to me).

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Truth Quark posted:

I would also go with MMT or TMM tbh, mostly because this exchange pinged me early on:

Kid thinks that's a load of nonsense, not because it wasn't planned, but because the ground seems about as slippery as desert sand.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, but gamer said 'are we four pages in and talking about dayvigs', so clearly he is asking why we are talking about dayvigs, but nobody in this thread has asked about dayvigs afaik.

My guess is he's reading the other thread and got confused?

It's only a soft scumtell if he's more interested in Bif's posting than KB's, since she would be his boss if he's scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Truth Quark posted:

It was a throwback to the last soldiers game - pretty much just jokephase fodder.

Max Peck posted:

check and see if I appear to be emotionally invested in town winning

TMMadman posted:

But before I give anyone a serving, you have to answer a question first. And that question is: If you had the ability to know 2 of the abilities of someone (but not alignment/class/background/rank), who would you use it on and why?

Should you choose me, I think you'll find that my ability names are hilariously appropriate for me specifically :350:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Should you choose me, I think you'll find that my ability names are hilariously appropriate for me specifically :350:

Oh, I don't have that kind of ability, I was just putting a question out to get some content going and thought it would be more interesting than the standard dayvig question.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’d use it in GeneX because I think he is scum

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

if someone goes "hey who's suspicious enough to use a power on" i'm just going to assume a dayvig hustle

it's been a while but I feel it's fair

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Max Peck posted:

I did, but for some reason the phrase "Each thread will have it's own scum team" did not make sense to my tiny little mind. I forgot that the draft happened BEFORE we got assigned roles so I was a little confused.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Gamerofthegame posted:

thinking

---

if someone goes "hey who's suspicious enough to use a power on" i'm just going to assume a dayvig hustle

it's been a while but I feel it's fair

To be clear - you read what TMM said and thought "he is trying to dayvig someone"?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Omg if someone has a dayvig get me right now. I want to see what happens to all this dynamite if I get blastered.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

50 pounds of bread posted:

Omg if someone has a dayvig get me right now. I want to see what happens to all this dynamite if I get blastered.

i wanna see too. i like lookin at blowed up stuff

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Hi friends BCA. I’m not going to know what’s going on in the battle part so I will just be yelling about scum

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Murmur Twin posted:

To be clear - you read what TMM said and thought "he is trying to dayvig someone"?

sure

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Your Personal Muse posted:

Hi friends BCA. I’m not going to know what’s going on in the battle part so I will just be yelling about scum

Kinda how I feel, too. This is my first soldiers game so I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Gamerofthegame posted:

thinking

Weird rolefishy opening here, don't dig that a lot. TMM's content game is just TMM bein' TMM, I think it's maybe weird to be doing this early but to make a connection to a potential dayvig out is worse than his poo poo.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to hang back a bit at first so I don't overwhelm the thread with my usual posting.

But I'm down with theft. And I'm fine with some of the information being asked for as a starting point, with some editing. I'll need that at a minimum to make good choices.

1. Do you want to be in battle tonight?
A - YESSSSSSS
B - Yes
C - No
D - NO!!!

2. Okay, that's your N1 choice, but is that like, your overall position, or just a tactical choice for right now?
A - Please continue to keep me (on/off) the battlefield at all times if possible (unless I'm just about to die and need to heal up, obviously)
B - I'd really prefer to stay (on/off) the battlefield overall, yeah - but this might change if say, I'm out of Shine, or maybe I could still do something cool in the other position every once in a while.
C - That's my choice right now I may change my mind later.

3. Regardless of what you answered above, assuming you end up in battle eventually.... front row or back row?
A. Front
B. Back

Once we all (or enough of us) have replied to this, please remind me that I have a comment on it, particularly the third part.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Monathin posted:

Kid thinks that's a load of nonsense, not because it wasn't planned, but because the ground seems about as slippery as desert sand.

I agree with Kid here. Maybe I'm coming from a meta-biased position on all this but there's a whole lot of people making weird jumps in logic rn

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Ehnnnnnn I am really not liking Gamers response to poo poo right now. Seems like laissez-faire backtracking from a fuckup.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

peramene posted:

but if i were a betting bitch

and i am

reading the other thread demonstrates a lack of focus

Bif has to coordinate with her scumbros on who to pick for their NK, as well as what to do if KB puts scum in the battle.

Also, whoever gets put into the battle has to pick who to target. How do you do that without knowing potential abilities/claims on the other team?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tobbs what are you doing?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehnnnnnn I am really not liking Gamers response to poo poo right now. Seems like laissez-faire backtracking from a fuckup.

I agree with this. ##vote Gamer

Gamerofthegame posted:

Specifically this explanation sounds more like a lie than an actual thought process, given that TMM explained why he was asking when he asked.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Once we all (or enough of us) have replied to this, please remind me that I have a comment on it, particularly the third part.

This is a bad and weird post

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
yo guess whos internet fuckin broke

anyways sup im fabio and im great

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hello I don't want to give up too much information but I can move up more spaces on my first move and capture diagonally. OR CAN I?

KB is a little suspect right now imo.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to hang back a bit at first so I don't overwhelm the thread with my usual posting.

But I'm down with theft. And I'm fine with some of the information being asked for as a starting point, with some editing. I'll need that at a minimum to make good choices.

1. Do you want to be in battle tonight?
A - YESSSSSSS
B - Yes
C - No
D - NO!!!

2. Okay, that's your N1 choice, but is that like, your overall position, or just a tactical choice for right now?
A - Please continue to keep me (on/off) the battlefield at all times if possible (unless I'm just about to die and need to heal up, obviously)
B - I'd really prefer to stay (on/off) the battlefield overall, yeah - but this might change if say, I'm out of Shine, or maybe I could still do something cool in the other position every once in a while.
C - That's my choice right now I may change my mind later.

3. Regardless of what you answered above, assuming you end up in battle eventually.... front row or back row?
A. Front
B. Back

1 yeeeeees
2. A
3. A.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

This is a bad and weird post

Nah

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Murmur Twin posted:

I agree with this. ##vote Gamer

Specifically this explanation sounds more like a lie than an actual thought process, given that TMM explained why he was asking when he asked.

:thinking:

alright i'll keep that in mind

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Hi ok I'm back, staring rudely at the people who thought I was "trying to look busy", and also giggling at Kashuno getting antsy over me rereading my role spreadsheet (I still managed to gently caress it up even after revision #3, and would like to publicly note that my powerset is extremely obnoxious to strategize for. Thanks, Podima.) I'm also annoyed at myself for loving up imgur links so badly but whatever I'll repost and finish the other thread's answers when it's relevant for in-battle targeting purposes, so probably at dayend.

That said there's actually enough to go on now beyond mostly-noise jokephase posts so scumhunting ho

First thing to note is that scum mostly don't want to be in the front row, though there's minor risks of scum actually having powers that work better in the front row (eg ranged powers, which I'm assuming can fire backwards for scum. If that's not the case, then this entire point takes on double urgency, because the front row strongly neuters scum). Second thing to note is that weakly wanting to be in or out of battle is scummy, even if there are definitely builds where it would make sense. All that said, the combination of answers is what's probably most important here.

As such, I made another spreadsheet for this thread, as we're at 23/25 people. This one will work, because I remembered to link the image itself:

Here's the answer sets I think are most notable:

Lord of Hats: "I'd like to always be in good position to murder my threadmates, but I'll happily NK outside of battle if not picked." The change is a +, as "HELL YES FIGHT FIGHT" answers are +town because scum really don't want to die in battle, but that initial answer didn't vanish forever.
chaoslord: "I don't care but let me choose answers that let me squirm away if I need to, also put me in back" is pretty bad.
Quidthulhu: I honestly can't think of a powerset that gives someone a reason to both really want to fight tonight and not care much about the future (vs noting that your answer will change), so this is weird as hell. Not scummy weird though, more just...weird-weird.
Anomalous Amalgam: See chaoslord.
Tobbs: See Quid, but I actually like this answer a bit better because of not caring where he's at in the battle.
Gamer: Didn't answer the question very well

And now let's take a closer look at what the people I think have especially scummy answers have posted:

Hats: A very special lecture on friendship and battlephase, asking KB for info our glorious leader probably shouldn't share right now, and not much else. I don't like the first post all that much in light of him not posting, well, anything else relating to the battle; reads almost like trying to discourage scumhunting in favor of mechanics land, where scum can happily hide (the converse "who cares about the fighting" is also bad btw)

chaoslord: Lots of white noise (jokephase content), side-eyeing Hats, poking Quid over a pretty good D1 vote on AA, aforementioned not caring about battlephase, open-endedly questioning Tobbs. None of this is especially positive, and some of it is actively negative.

AA: 2 posts, 1 an answer to KB and the other a "nothing's happening so I'm gonna go"; that's not great townplay, but it's more not much of anything at all.

I think of these 3, I'm feeling worst about Hats with chaoslord a close 2nd. So ##vote The Lord of Hats.

Other things:

Gamer almost certainly reading the texas thread instead of this one is strange and making me look at him a bit funny.

TMMadman posted:

Quid, because I really want to figure out where the hell his answer to KB came from. Similar reasoning for Tobbs, my second choice.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

IllegallySober posted:

Kinda how I feel, too. This is my first soldiers game so I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Kid feels a twinge of suspicion.

Course, it's easy to say you want to stay outta the front lines and feel overwhelmed, but its an easy out for a shadier lot to think they can back off the front lines, keep from getting shot by their own.

Not like the State Guard would know they're shooting at their own spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Murmur Twin posted:

check and see if I appear to be emotionally invested in town winning
Okay, a, tells don't work like that; b, no, you don't, because this is still kind of the tail end of jokephase.

Your Personal Muse posted:

IllegallySober posted:

We haven't had a battle yet, so this is pretty much a normal day 1. Please feel free to join in!

PMush Perfect posted:

yo guess whos internet fuckin broke

anyways sup im fabio and im great
Help me out here, are you internet-broke (no bitcoin?), or did your internet break?

Quidthulhu posted:

It would feel more like a shoddy VT response, but this is a game notably without VTs.

Gamerofthegame posted:

:thinking:

alright i'll keep that in mind
... but between that and this, I'm willing to join in with a ##vote Gamer. No room for slackers in this army.

• Locked thread