Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm not going to touch that post except to say adding the soda water after shaking would fix that particular problem of yours. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol thank you for sharing that

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Guys I made a big batch of my old fashioned syrup for Christmas.

2 questions.

Fridge or no fridge? It’s VERY thick after fridge.
How long can I keep it? So much sugar I assume pretty much indefinitely?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Any of Jen Agg's places. Blackhoof or Rhum bar.

Side note: I got a bottle of black walnut Amaro. Cocktails?

It + Rye over ice. Proportions to taste.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I had some....interesting experiences this week. I'll copy and paste from the threads they originated from.

To start, an interactive LP thread of Tally Ho included our protagonist, Reginald the butler, making his charge a hangover cure cocktail based on the Electric Current Fizz (a real hangover cure from the turn of the 20th century). I made the ill-advised decision of recreating the drink.

Reginald's Electric Current Fizz

This is the stupidest goddamn idea. If you would like to try it yourself:

* 1.5 ounces of gin (I chose Bombay as a classic London style to be as close to the real Reginald recipe as possible)
* 1 ounce of lemon juice
* 1/2 tbsp of sugar
* 1 raw egg
* 1 dash of salt
* 1 dash of black pepper
* 1 dash of vinegar (I used red wine vinegar as I had nothing else on hand)
* A few drops of habanero hot sauce
* Soda water to fill the glass to the top

Ordinarily only the gin, lemon juice, egg white, soda water, and sugar are actually mixed. This creates a pretty plain and unmemorable gin fizz. The Electric Current Fizz adds the egg yolk, pepper, salt, and vinegar in the half shell to take as a shooter before you sip the drink. As there's no mention of this in the game, it seems that Reginald decided to mix it up in one glass. This is the crucial mistake.

Reginald also puts his own spin on it by adding habanero puree. Along with the added complexity of pureeing chili peppers, I was concerned that the thickness combined with the egg would create something undrinkable (in the literal sense, as it would no longer be a liquid at that point), so I substituted for habanero hot sauce. You're also supposed to shake with ice, but I have no ice maker and it would have taken too long to wait for ice cubes to freeze because this kind of decision can only be made impulsively.

Here's how it looks minus the egg and soda water. The pepper floating on top makes for an unsettling garnish. Also that is a lot of lemon juice in proportion to gin.

My chosen hot sauce, which is somewhat comparable to Tabasco in flavor.

ker-plunk

With the soda water added, the frothy head from the egg whites immediately crops up.

At this point I used a cocktail shaker to mix it up. It didn't seem to like it very much, as the lid kept trying to pop off and spray the fizzy drink back out. Little did I know that my cocktail shaker could taste.

This tastes exactly like vomit, and I mean exactly. The bizarre combination of flavors is bad enough, but the vinegar contributes an acidity that brings to mind the taste in your mouth right after you're done expelling a pint of bile from it. It appears to work as a hangover cure by causing Rory to puke up everything he drank the previous night.

After the first sip, I dumped the rest of the glass in the backyard and brushed my teeth to try and return to some semblance of normalcy.

My next challenge was from Culturally Ignorant Cuisine, where you have to make a food or beverage knowing nothing except the name (if foreign, the literal English translation) and see how wrong you end up. One of the drinks that I was given after I asked for suggestions was a Fitzgerald, which is a gin sour with Angostura bitters added.

The Wrong Fitzgerald

The drink takes inspiration from F. Scott Fitzgerald, so I used gin (in honor of the Prohibition in which he lived and set his books) and creme de menthe (in honor of the green light from The Great Gatsby). This works better with the addition of green food coloring.

* 2 ounces of gin
* 1 teaspoon of creme de menthe
* 2 ounces of soda water

Without any green food coloring, I decided to get some of the color and increase the complexity of the drink by using a very nice bourbon barrel-finished gin from the St. Augustine Distillery. I just bought this last Saturday and I've been itching to try it out after sampling it in the store. Their regular gin is an excellent small batch gin made with a neat botanical mix (including some citrus, I think orange peel included because Florida), but the bourbon barrel gives it a fullness you don't normally get.

My initial attempt, which did not include soda water and used 2 teaspoons of creme de menthe. Not gonna lie, I came really close to vomiting as soon as I downed this shot. The mix of flavors (especially the mint) was incredibly strong and completely undrinkable, at least as a shot.

With the creme de menthe reduced to 1 teaspoon and another 2 ounces of soda water added to dilute the mixture, it comes out perfectly drinkable (and looks a little more green than brown). It helps to choose a strong gin, as it allows the botanical flavor and the mint to intermingle. The carbonation and dilution reduce the intensity of the alcohols very well. While I don't think this is my cup of tea, I can see some people really liking this.

Pro tier post

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Every thing being room temp is my favorite detail

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1 oz of room temperature undiluted lemon juice

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's no potential for goons pissing in the well here; he just dug a latrine, pissed in it, and jumped in

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So ended up adding the following to my growing home bar:
Kraken spiced rum(17 bucks with a tiki glass so meh)
Black Seal Bermuda rum
Russell's Reserve 6 year rye
Luxardo maraschino liquor
Citadelle Gin(plenty of people raved about this Gin around page 40'ish of the thread so grabbed it)
Campari
Green Chartreuse
Empress 1908 Indigo Gin
Creme de Violette
Rose's sweetened lime juice
2 different Ginger beers

The Chartreuse was actually the most expensive bottle out of all that which was very surprising.
Plan for tomorrow is to try some dark n stormies, Aviation and maybe The last word

Get some good pics and, hopefully, enjoy my choices.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Anybody making punch for New Year's? I'm making an Eben Freeman recipe from the punch website called Cornucopia Punch. It uses Jamaican rum, Apple brandy, and black tea. Looks good and traditional, but as written it's 20% abv so I'll probably tweak to bring it down to a more manageable proof.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Making a batch of Limmers, even though I think of it as more of a summery drink. My friend who is hosting requested it as soon as I offered to make punch, and who am I to refuse. Just looked up the punch you're talking about. Seems properly wintery.

quote:

Servings: 10-12

8 ounces citrus juice, combined from 1 orange, 1 lemon and 1 lime
peel from citrus (no pith)
1 cup brown sugar
16 ounces Jamaican rum
16 ounces Applejack
24 ounces black tea, brewed and still hot
24 ounces cider
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Garnish: pomegranate seeds and slices of mixed citrus
DIRECTIONS
Add sugar and citrus peels to large punch bowl and muddle, then let sit for 30 minutes to one hour.
Add hot tea and stir to dissolve sugar.
Strain out citrus peels and add liquid back to bowl. Add citrus juice, rum and Applejack.
Add ice cubes; two-iinch cubes are preferred so it doesn't melt as fast, but whatever you have will work.
When ready to serve, top with cider, grated cinnamon, grated nutmeg and garnish with citrus slices and pomegranate seeds sprinkled throughout.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah that's the one. Did a small-scale trial of it a bit ago and it's great. And yeah, Limmer's is a spring/summer punch, but what it really is is a popular punch. And that's one of the best things a punch can be.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently when I went out for Christmas they had the drink situation handled... With Crown Royal Green Apple and Sprite. :colbert:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Goondolences.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So what was the problem? Was the sprite room temperature?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

BrianBoitano posted:

So what was the problem? Was the sprite room temperature?

No, I just wanted to make something. The drink they had was good, but I was looking forward to making something.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm sure many of us do this, but I was picking up some rum for a batch of coquito to gift and scanned the bottom shelves after grabbing it since I had a few extra bucks. Decided to give a handle of Taaka gin a go.

meh

It's priced about the same as handles of Jenkins which is absolute swill so "meh" might be a positive review. Taaka may be bland, over-powered by even cheap tonic, and just this side of vodka straight, but at least doesn't taste like furniture cleaner mixed in a rusty bathtub. I'll just keep having visitors from the flatlands bring liters of Cossack for my cheap gin. Now to figure out how I'm going to finish this bottle without boring myself to death.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I feel like I'm winding down stocking up my home bar as outside of things like various flower waters, amaretto and/or more obscure items for one off drinks i am pretty set to make most cocktails

Yet there are a few liquors I'm still mulling over picking up and wanted the threads feedback if they are worth picking up and what can i do with them.

Sloe Gin I enjoy Gin, and keep buying different bottles to try, but what would i use sloe gin for?
I distinctly remember seeing Plymouth Sloe Gin at my local store....is it worth picking up?

Lairds Apple Brandy I've seen the name pop up in the thread a few times and i know my local store has a couple different variations
What is a good drink that this would compliment or be the focus in?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank God Laird's is finally offering wider distribution on its genuine 100% apple brandy.

Make your own grenadine and make a Jack Rose.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank God Laird's is finally offering wider distribution on its genuine 100% apple brandy.

Make your own grenadine and make a Jack Rose.

Yeah ^^

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Its big juicy pom season right now too

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

One each sherry cobbler, champagne cocktail, and French 75 into the evening. Next up: champagne cocktail plus ounce of brandy. Then maybe be loosened up enough to have a straight bubbly. Wife is settling for just a coquito spiked hot chocolate and champagne cocktail. Happy New Year, nerds.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Around page 80'ish people were discussing egg whites...got crazy tonight and made a White Lady

It's actually pretty tasty and, so far, I haven't died.

I'd post pics of my drinks but I don't have some fancy setup for all my bottles. They're literally just in my kitchen in a corner. Not picture worthy

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Got a bottle of Riga Black Balsam from a friend returning from Latvia. Is there anything I can do with it? Or is it yet another exotic medicinal liquor that will sit on my shelf for a few years, like that mama juana I made.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BarChef in Toronto was cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJKDDjEkQ_M

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Lairds Apple Brandy I've seen the name pop up in the thread a few times and i know my local store has a couple different variations
What is a good drink that this would compliment or be the focus in?

This article just went up on Punch: How to Use Apple Brandy in Cocktails

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

A while ago I had a drink in a bar called a "green tea" and I want to recreate it. I've googled it, but all the recipes I've found are completely different. Is there a standard recipe for this drink? Does anyone have one they like?

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Laocius posted:

A while ago I had a drink in a bar called a "green tea" and I want to recreate it. I've googled it, but all the recipes I've found are completely different. Is there a standard recipe for this drink? Does anyone have one they like?
Midwestern(MI) version goes as a shot and is as follows:
2 parts Jameson to 1 part Peach Schnapps
Splash of saccharine sweet and sour mix
Shake and top with Sprite

e- Pretty common name though, do you know any of the ingredients to the one you had?

Toast Museum posted:

This article just went up on Punch: How to Use Apple Brandy in Cocktails
speaking of Punch, anyone have any other resources they swear by? I'm big on Eater myself.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 5, 2018

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Lokee posted:

Midwestern(MI) version goes as a shot and is as follows:
2 parts Jameson to 1 part Peach Schnapps
Splash of saccharine sweet and sour mix
Shake and top with Sprite

e- Pretty common name though, do you know any of the ingredients to the one you had?

The bartender told me what was in it, but I can't remember what she said. That recipe sounds pretty good though. I'll try it out next time I pick up some Jameson.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lokee posted:

speaking of Punch, anyone have any other resources they swear by? I'm big on Eater myself.

I really like the blog at Trash Tiki, every recipe I've tried of theirs has turned out great and I appreciate the focus on zero waste & sustainability (even if the tone is annoying in the same way that Epic 5AM Chili Guy comic is)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Josh Lyman posted:

We're spending NYE weekend in Toronto. Any recommendations for cocktail bars? My local bartender already recommended BarChef.

Oh gently caress yes 1000 times BarChef. I've done BarChef in Toronto and both Nightjar and Oriole in London and if I had to choose one to go back to it would be BarChef.

Edit: poo poo, I didn't realize I was replying to an older post. Looks like you already went!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
What would be a better sub for an oloroso sherry in a punch: amontillado or full rich madeira? A mix of them? Some other confection?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It depends on the amontillado. A true amontillado is quite dry, so you might need to increase your sugar (just slightly) to maintain the balance. There are lots of "amontillado" sherries out there that would do fine though. Full rich Madeira is probably a closer fit in terms of sweetness level, and Madeira in punches is delightful.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Olorosso is also very dry? If your options are Madiera or Amontillado, use the Amontillado, without question. The difference in an Amontillado/Olorosso is going to be nothing when compared to the difference between an Olorosso and a Madeira. Even 'dry' Madeiras are sweet enough that they are considered desert wine.

Madiera is great, and certainly a part of many classic and modern punch recipes, but the only sherry it should be subbing in for is a cream sherry.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yep, I mis-posted in post-lunch fugue, oloroso and amontillado will do much better as direct subs than either of them for a sweet Madeira.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's everyone's favorite Martini ratio and ingredient brands? I've yet to find the perfect balance. Been doing 2:1, 1:1, .5:2, w Plymouth, Bluecoat, Beefeater, Hayman's and it's still not quite there.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

What's everyone's favorite Martini ratio and ingredient brands? I've yet to find the perfect balance. Been doing 2:1, 1:1, .5:2, w Plymouth, Bluecoat, Beefeater, Hayman's and it's still not quite there.

What's not quite there about it?

Also, what vermouth are you using? I've made good martinis with Plymouth, Bluecoat, and Beefeater, so I don't think your gin is the problem. Try Noilly Prat or Dolin dry if you haven't yet, use a couple dashes of orange bitters if you haven't done that yet, and make sure it's cold. All cocktails need to be very cold to be good, but a martini really needs to be down at or near freezing. Stir for longer than you think you need to and see if that helps.

Edit: But honestly, to answer your question, give me a martini with Plymouth and Dolin, or a Tuxedo cocktail with Greenhook and some fino sherry (I like Lustau and Valdespino). In all cases 2:1, with orange bitters, with a twist.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 22, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Idk man that sounds like a personal thing. There aren't a ton of dry Vermouths out there but if Dolin and Martini aren't doing it for you then try Routin or Mancino, if you can find them?

There should def. Be a dash of orange bitters in there, too, and scythe is right about a martini needing to be coooooold.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've been using Rossi. I probably need to step up my vermouth game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm putting together my beginner's kit and was wondering if there was a recommended pick between Boston shakers and 3-pieces (cobblers?) for starting out. This is just for home use, so mostly daytime drinking and having a few friends over from time to time.