Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Today I spent over one million gold (so far) pumping textiles into my blades while I watch youtube.
Same, but meat and vege from Leftheria.

I might be their entire economy at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
xenoblade chronicles 2 is the most keynesian game ever, in that you can literally pay people to dig and fill in ditches shuttle gold cylinders around and it improves the economy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Today I spent over one million gold (so far) pumping textiles into my blades while I watch youtube. But on the plus side I'm pretty sure that when I actually finish Mythra's affinity (I have to kill two more unique monsters) I'm going to hit Ultra Instinct immediately.

I've now got a mental image of Mythra wearing a million scarves like a toddler in a snowsuit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PJOmega posted:

I wish I hadn't gotten to like the English dialogue because either the VA direction was abysmal or they got their nephew to put the actual recording together.

Good voice direction is crucial for my enjoyment of voice acting, and I don't think the English direction is very good. Shame, I prefer not listening to squeaky cutesy bullshit.

:confused:

Reiterpallasch posted:

xenoblade chronicles 2 is the most keynesian game ever, in that you can literally pay people to dig and fill in ditches shuttle gold cylinders around and it improves the economy

Fits the game's overall theme of busywork and random chance.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

chumbler posted:

I've now got a mental image of Mythra wearing a million scarves like a toddler in a snowsuit.

I think I kinda imagined them eating everything you gave them. Blades aren't people, some of them obviously so, they can eat chess sets if they want. Being a time limited buff just feels like an eating mechanic to me and MOST of the things are food.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pollyanna posted:

Good voice direction is crucial for my enjoyment of voice acting, and I don't think the English direction is very good. Shame, I prefer not listening to squeaky bullshit

Luckily the game really doesn't do that.

Outside Dalias quest.

Which yeah is pretty bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chumbler posted:

She still somehow manages to have a boob window and yells at Rex for confusedly looking at it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The map has a penis on it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think I kinda imagined them eating everything you gave them. Blades aren't people, some of them obviously so, they can eat chess sets if they want. Being a time limited buff just feels like an eating mechanic to me and MOST of the things are food.

I'm pretty sure "literally eats everything they're given" is canon in Boreas's case.

I will say that despite the dumb gacha system, I do like how rare blades all have quests to flesh out their personalities. It makes me wish you could get them all through specific quests or the dumb core gacha thing. Or that the gacha would get tossed and you could just do a build-a-blade system in place of commons, or replace commons completely and just have 2-3x as many unique blades.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 31, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

5er posted:

I've had my Switch for 3 days now. I've noticed, with this game and the (particularly irritating salvage point) QTEs, there's a slight bit of input lag when I'm docked, but response is crisper when I've got it in 'lol i'm a Vita' mode. I've read that a wired controller won't have the lag. Not sure if I want to pay out the rear end for a Pro controller, or just get one of the cheaper ones with a dedicated USB cord.

It's much more likely that lag is being introduced by the tv you have docked the switch to

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boreas has cannonically tasted Tora so yeah they just eat whatever.

I seriously dont get why all the rare blades arent quests or notorious monster rewards. Like, Id honestly prefer you just dumping the gacha rare blades into my lap as cores at each chapter break with no explanation over this system.

Also, the person in charge of Ursula should get reassigned to a different job where that much tedium doesnt feel fun to them.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
XB2 is the first time the guy who voices Rex in English has ever done any VA work instead of live acting so that does explain quite a bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The fault of the flaws of the dub still lie with the voice director and adr more than anything else. A lot of scenes just scream of the director having bad input on contexts of scenes at times.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"These aren't the people who attacked your guards, Morag."

Except for all the guards I murdered while trying to find out who was murdering the guards.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chumbler posted:

Except for all the guards I murdered while trying to find out who was murdering the guards.

They attacked you.

So nothing you said was a lie

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ugh. Just got Morag. I had saved up 30 common cores and 4 rare. I got only Dhalia on her. Overdriving Agate to Rex was the best decision I ever made though. He dominates everything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I think it's funny how they try to imply Rex and company just knocking people on their asses, or knocking them out, rather than killing them yet Drivers often drop a Core Crystal...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They're pretty nonchalant about killing the governor of Gormott.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TurnipFritter posted:

They're pretty nonchalant about killing the governor of Gormott.

That was pretty clearly self-defense, to be fair. And for the Inquisitor it just helped reveal his corruption, so no harm, no foul :commissar:.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's funny how they try to imply Rex and company just knocking people on their asses, or knocking them out, rather than killing them yet Drivers often drop a Core Crystal...

The monado in the first game couldn't kill humans until you did special stuff. It feels fine in this series to have a "blades don't strike killing blows" rule. Or at least that they are able to hurt but not kill until changed to kill mode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The monado in the first game couldn't kill humans until you did special stuff. It feels fine in this series to have a "blades don't strike killing blows" rule. Or at least that they are able to hurt but not kill until changed to kill mode.

That is actually true in-game though, Shulk can't harm the rare few human enemies you encounter.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just got this after Christmas, and just finished up the... prologue? I think. Man were they not subtle at all about how things were going to go down.

...I'm going to have to master the timing on the salvage minigame aren't I? I'm sure it'll get down to muscle memory, but for now its a bit difficult to get a good result.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Just got this after Christmas, and just finished up the... prologue? I think. Man were they not subtle at all about how things were going to go down.

...I'm going to have to master the timing on the salvage minigame aren't I? I'm sure it'll get down to muscle memory, but for now its a bit difficult to get a good result.

The best salvage spots are just A-A-A.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also, the person in charge of Ursula should get reassigned to a different job where that much tedium doesnt feel fun to them.

I felt pretty confident that I was going to do every rare blade's sidequest but then i remembered she existed

devs please nerf that quest

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 31, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One story-related thing I forget to mention - I was actually sadder at Mikhail/Benkei/Akhos's deaths than pretty much anyone else's, including Jin's. I think this is because I felt like they had a better excuse for only caring about their "kin" and not caring about the rest of the world (especially in Mikhail's case). The reason why Jin bugged me is that the guy was obviously intelligent enough to be fully aware that he was doing bad stuff, and even specifically commented that he knew his ex-driver wouldn't want him to do this stuff. I felt like they really went to far with his "redemption." Same goes for Rex's attitude towards Malos. Like, I can understand feeling empathy towards the dude, but you shouldn't want to "punch and then drink with" the dude who literally murdered your friend (Vandahm) not too long ago.

I also don't like it when stories take morally ambiguous characters and kill them off to avoid having to deal with the more difficult question of how they keep living on despite their past misdeeds. I really dislike the whole "redeemed before making a heroic sacrifice" trope.

Tae posted:

Why Shin=Jin

I thought this was really strange at first, but I think it's probably because the English-speaking VAs might pronounce it like the body part. You can say "Jin" with a small i (or whatever you call that sort of pronunciation) and have it still obviously be a name.

Crabtree posted:

gently caress you Xenoblade 2 and your constant need for every cutscene to be NOPE, EVEN THOUGH YOU WON IN GAME YOU WILL LOSE EVERY FIGHT. God is there ever a chapter where this bullshit doesn't happen? If you're going to make me lose, just have me fail the fight.

I don't know why this bothers people. Like in most RPGs, the fights are just abstractions*. In cases like the one you describe, the gameplay battle is basically an abstraction for "surviving for a brief time against X" before the events following the gameplay battle. It's not like even the fights you win are actually these several minute long affairs where you stand there repeatedly whacking the enemy and what have you.

I mean, the same thing applies to basically every blade sidequest that involves traveling to the last few areas in the game. It is literally impossible for those quests to make any sense within the context of the events of the story, since pretty much everything from at least the Cliffs of Morytha onward are a straight-shot with no detours, plot-wise. This doesn't bother me, because it's just convenient having the option to always stop what I'm doing and gently caress around with side quests, even if it makes zero sense given what's going on in the plot.

Heck, it also applies to the fact that no blades other than each character's main blade show up in any story cutscenes. Like, obviously this makes no sense if you actually have other blades you're using, but it's an abstraction for the same of convenience.

* Speaking of this, one thing I really like about this game is that it actually includes cutscenes showing how these fights actually play out with RPG abstractions removed. Like, they really don't hold back on a lot of pretty kickass action scenes. I was worried that the cooler scenes would be front-loaded, but they keep the energy up right until the ending.

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah I totally had no idea the dude named Malos was a bad guy.

Not the "bad guy" part, but the fact that his name makes it very clear that he specifically represents that general concept. Like, he's a dude whose driving motivation is destroying everything, named "destruction." That isn't quite the same thing as just having an obviously negative connotation.

Silver Falcon posted:

It sounds like malice, dude.

I was reading it like "malOHs." Either way, that's still not the same thing as his name literally being his driving motivation and end goal. I guess the difference I'm getting at is that, rather than just having some connotation, the names are very literal. Like, (minor spoiler related to later character introduced in chapter 3)Mythra's name is literally "light" in the Japanese, rather than something that kinda-sorta has connotations related to that (the connection between Pyra and fire is more clear, at least, but it's still just a connotation).

Evil Fluffy posted:

I will say that despite the dumb gacha system, I do like how rare blades all have quests to flesh out their personalities. It makes me wish you could get them all through specific quests or the dumb core gacha thing. Or that the gacha would get tossed and you could just do a build-a-blade system in place of commons, or replace commons completely and just have 2-3x as many unique blades.

I would be okay with this, but if commons were removed you'd need some other way to farm weapon skill points. You'd also probably need some way to accomplish what orb master does, since apparently that's really important to end-game superbosses.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 31, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Either way naming your villain after a theme is the definition of being hamhanded.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So why is it that stage 5 of Tiger Tiger sometimes only has 7 chests to collect instead of 8? It's really annoying to constantly miss out on the ether bonus (and extra item/ether) because the level simply doesn't spawn all of the chests. Or is one of them spawned under an enemy or something that makes it impossible to see?

At least I managed to get a perfect (non-pacifist) run of stage 5 for 66k points to finally clear that one dumb requirement for Poppi. Picked up Master Tank and Luck mods so far too. :toot:

Ytlaya posted:

I would be okay with this, but if commons were removed you'd need some other way to farm weapon skill points. You'd also probably need some way to accomplish what orb master does, since apparently that's really important to end-game superbosses.

Orb Master definitely helps with superbosses because even just having one of them (I have a fire bitball with it, and an electric spear on the 5th party member who I never use) means you can potentially have 3 orbs up on your first chain, and then another 2-3 on your second chain. As long as you can reliably max out your chain attacks at 9999999 damage you want all 8 orbs ASAP unless you're fighting one of the few things that could survive the hit at high HP.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The blade's role is stated outright on its stats page. If you pull a bitball and don't know it's a healer that's entirely on you the player.

You don't get to see the stats page until you've linked it to a person. And you're implying every bitball is a healer and every Katana is a tank? If that's the case then no I never noticed. I don't even look at what a generic blade does.
But even so you don't know what weapon Vess has before linking her or the water Tank I mentioned earlier.

I don't know what you're talking about.

quote:

I don't know why this bothers people. Like in most RPGs, the fights are just abstractions*. In cases like the one you describe, the gameplay battle is basically an abstraction for "surviving for a brief time against X" before the events following the gameplay battle. It's not like even the fights you win are actually these several minute long affairs where you stand there repeatedly whacking the enemy and what have you.
When you DM a roleplaying game you're told to never take control of your player's characters in narrative stuff because it's annoying and frustrating. That's what the game is doing when you lose in cutscenes even though you won in the game.
Yea the battle is an abstraction but it's annoying to be told the opposite of what you're seeing on the screen. The blue power ranger guy isn't powerful, I just thrashed him. Stop telling me otherwise!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

So why is it that stage 5 of Tiger Tiger sometimes only has 7 chests to collect instead of 8? It's really annoying to constantly miss out on the ether bonus (and extra item/ether) because the level simply doesn't spawn all of the chests. Or is one of them spawned under an enemy or something that makes it impossible to see?

If you take a hit when you don't have one of those blue X items, you drop a chest. This is probably what's happening because I've never had only 7 chests spawn

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

You don't get to see the stats page until you've linked it to a person. And you're implying every bitball is a healer and every Katana is a tank? If that's the case then no I never noticed. I don't even look at what a generic blade does.
But even so you don't know what weapon Vess has before linking her or the water Tank I mentioned earlier.

They show you the weapon in their introductory awakening scene. Along with the weapon icon being on the final "YOU AWAKENED X" splash screen. You can also see it by just opening Manage Blades and seeing the weapon icon at the corner of the Blade's profile pic.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 31, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They show you the weapon in their introductory awakening scene. Along with the weapon icon being on the final "YOU AWAKENED X" splash screen. You can also see it by just opening Manage Blades and seeing the weapon icon at the corner of the Blade's profile pic.

But you've already linked them to a person by then so what difference does that make? There's no way to see what they are until you've linked them to a person.

That's what I was saying. That until I linked Vess I didn't know she was a Healer and until I linked the Water Tank that you get for player 4 I didn't actually know it was a tank. The entire point of the original posts was that it's dumb you have to google it to find out before you link them. Seeing it after the fact is totally pointless.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I know most pouch items raise trust by 9 but people say there are ones in Leftheria that raise it by more without being a favorite...anyone know what they are? Any time someone asks this question online someone links some private google spreadsheet which is worse than useless bc then people don't reply.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I've been using the ones that cost 180 in 5 star dev, from the veggie and meat shop.

Veg & Oyster Aspic and some meat thing? Samod something?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Other than the choker items, what raises luck?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do I make it be lightning weather in Temperantia so I can finish the salvage king side quest?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bizarre deformity posted:

How do I make it be lightning weather in Temperantia so I can finish the salvage king side quest?

Skip-travel there and back again from another Titan.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

E: never mind

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I kinda wish that Namco would make an HD version of Xenosaga except with part II completely redone in the same style as the other two games. Or even combine them into one really long game with just the battle/skill system from III and the same goddamn voices this time. Anyway that would take a long time but it would own really hard because Xenosaga Ep III is a genuinely great game with a tight battle/progression system and it's such a shame you have to slog through one mediocre and one bad game to get there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I got my first 4 star common blade from a legendary core, then hilariously enough my next 3 rare cores were Ursula, Zenobia, Adenine. 6 unique blades left, only grinded like once for cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tae posted:

I got my first 4 star common blade from a legendary core, then hilariously enough my next 3 rare cores were Ursula, Zenobia, Adenine. 6 unique blades left, only grinded like once for cores.

What's the luck total on the person you're doing it on Tae?

I've just burned 40 cores on Character 5 and only got normal ones but then I realised their luck was only 140.