Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

He got me once first, jumped me from behind at a supply drop where I was being dumb and he was able to run up fully stacked from mooks. That's not how the other encounters played out. Unfortunately I only recorded the immediately following encounter, where I didn't have EMP. :( but since he was a poo poo talker I made his life hell following this.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/A%20Buff%20Gay%20Dude/video/41617593

imagine that but turned up to 11 after the disrupts

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

his complete corncobbing ended with him asking me to join up with him lmao

:salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt:
:discourse:

Pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is there a best weapon group? I like the sniper I got. Only level 6 so far, game is fun.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

vandalism posted:

Is there a best weapon group? I like the sniper I got. Only level 6 so far, game is fun.

Just use whatever feels good to you when you're leveling up. Be sure to keep getting higher level weapons, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Any particular advice for anybody who is returning to try this out after having last played back around the time of the first raid (where everybody just glitched the wave spawns for free loot)? Or basically just do whatevers and get gear however? Is the dark zone still straight suicide due to hackers and collusion groups?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Zaodai posted:

Any particular advice for anybody who is returning to try this out after having last played back around the time of the first raid (where everybody just glitched the wave spawns for free loot)? Or basically just do whatevers and get gear however? Is the dark zone still straight suicide due to hackers and collusion groups?

A lot of QoL features were added:
Game world difficulties have changed into world tiers. There are 5 world tiers.
Mission difficulties now change the veterancy of the enemies you fight but does not change their level. WT does this. Difficulty also changes how much loot you get from the boss and the end of mission rewards.
Time to kill enemies was lowered considerably.
You can now save loadouts of gear so you don't have to manually switch guns, armor, and mods in your inventory.
You can lock favorite items so you don't accidentally deconstruct them or sell them.
You can also buy back items you sold to the vendors as long as you don't log out.

If you're getting back you're probably running around in sub gear score 256 gear. Get a goon group to do some high value targets with you this weekend and give you their drops so you can get your GS up and into world tier 5 (world tiers are like diablo 3 difficulties - torments I, II, etc)

Next, figure out what you're going for gameplay wise especially when it come to gear sets. Do you just want to shoot things without thinking? Go with AlphaBridge or Striker. Long range? Sentry or Hunter's Faith. Skills and healing? Tactician's Authority and Reclaimer. There are 14 gear sets in game at the moment.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JTLivI7FDB0HeHIX0GePMLJd4bD-xarH3ZpNxPCX218/pubhtml
There are also classified sets in the game now which differ from the base gear sets in 3 ways. 1. Their main stats are higher (1272 vs 1401), 2. You can reroll 2 attributes, and 3. They can complete a 6 pc set. Classified items have a small folder icon on the right side of the item. Make sure you look for this before deconstructing a piece of gear. They also added exotic weapons and armor to the game. Exotic weapons came from the existing unique named weapon pool and all have either unique 3rd slot talents or are part of a weapon gear set (Hildr/Eir, Devil/Heel, Liberator/Centurion).

Third, are you PC or console? Console doesn't really have any hackers that I know of but it occasionally happens on PC. The DZ has been cleaned up considerably though. There are now 9 DZ zones but they didn't increase the number of players so you have a better chance of hiding from rogue groups. The DZ also follows the scheme of the world tiers so all enemies are the same level they just differ in their veterancy. Instead of being able to just shoot you in the back when you're not looking rogues have to toggle their rogue status and people can no longer body block your shots to make you accidentally go rogue anymore.

Have fun.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rick_Hunter posted:

A lot of QoL features were added:
Game world difficulties have changed into world tiers. There are 5 world tiers.
Mission difficulties now change the veterancy of the enemies you fight but does not change their level. WT does this. Difficulty also changes how much loot you get from the boss and the end of mission rewards.
Time to kill enemies was lowered considerably.
You can now save loadouts of gear so you don't have to manually switch guns, armor, and mods in your inventory.
You can lock favorite items so you don't accidentally deconstruct them or sell them.
You can also buy back items you sold to the vendors as long as you don't log out.

If you're getting back you're probably running around in sub gear score 256 gear. Get a goon group to do some high value targets with you this weekend and give you their drops so you can get your GS up and into world tier 5 (world tiers are like diablo 3 difficulties - torments I, II, etc)

Next, figure out what you're going for gameplay wise especially when it come to gear sets. Do you just want to shoot things without thinking? Go with AlphaBridge or Striker. Long range? Sentry or Hunter's Faith. Skills and healing? Tactician's Authority and Reclaimer. There are 14 gear sets in game at the moment.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JTLivI7FDB0HeHIX0GePMLJd4bD-xarH3ZpNxPCX218/pubhtml
There are also classified sets in the game now which differ from the base gear sets in 3 ways. 1. Their main stats are higher (1272 vs 1401), 2. You can reroll 2 attributes, and 3. They can complete a 6 pc set. Classified items have a small folder icon on the right side of the item. Make sure you look for this before deconstructing a piece of gear. They also added exotic weapons and armor to the game. Exotic weapons came from the existing unique named weapon pool and all have either unique 3rd slot talents or are part of a weapon gear set (Hildr/Eir, Devil/Heel, Liberator/Centurion).

Third, are you PC or console? Console doesn't really have any hackers that I know of but it occasionally happens on PC. The DZ has been cleaned up considerably though. There are now 9 DZ zones but they didn't increase the number of players so you have a better chance of hiding from rogue groups. The DZ also follows the scheme of the world tiers so all enemies are the same level they just differ in their veterancy. Instead of being able to just shoot you in the back when you're not looking rogues have to toggle their rogue status and people can no longer body block your shots to make you accidentally go rogue anymore.

Have fun.

Awesome, thanks for all these tips. I appreciate it.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So I am level 14, how do you find people to run missions with? the matchmaking does not seem to work.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

HardKase posted:

So I am level 14, how do you find people to run missions with? the matchmaking does not seem to work.

Simply put there are not a ton of players at those lower levels anymore. Matchmake all the time, and while you wait for the matchmaker to fill farm encounters to pull yourself up in levels thus allowing you to solo your way to 30.

Is crafting just useless now? All I want is to craft some electronic knee pads, but the blueprint vendor in the terminal does not sell those. I have no idea how to figure out how to craft hose knee-pads... (yellow, ~260+ GS)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Crafting has some good things. I never had a single mp5 (wich wasn't burst fire) to drop while leveling to 30 and after clearing the whole map from collectibles and doing a bunch of high level stuff. Purchased the blueprint, crafted one as I have a shitton of materials and got a 281 MP5 N with good talents to boot on my first one.

There are a couple that are useful, mostly for attachments and so.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

After an intense few days of farming I finally had The House drop from a DZ boss. Extracting it was the most stressful thing I've done in this game, but thankfully it was late so I got it out without interference. It's a beautiful one too, rolled Ferocious and another junk talent I rerolled to Responsive on my first try and then fully optimized it. The thing just... melts. 134k headshot crits on a 850+rpm gun and a D3-FNC build is a thing of beauty.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What's your FA to get damage like that? :catstare:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

What are some good DZ builds that don't require classified gear? Are non-set skull gloves sets viable at all? I put together a 3 Banshee/ 2 Predator/ Ninja Bag set with a House and an M4 which seems decent. It chews through yellow bars easily enough with 6k+ FA and SMG/AR damage gloves, but I haven't had a chance to test it out against other players.

Edit: Also, can you save gear mods to different pieces in different loadouts like you can weapon mods, or are they tied to whatever holster/mask/whatever that you slot them into?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

What are some good DZ builds that don't require classified gear? Are non-set skull gloves sets viable at all? I put together a 3 Banshee/ 2 Predator/ Ninja Bag set with a House and an M4 which seems decent. It chews through yellow bars easily enough with 6k+ FA and SMG/AR damage gloves, but I haven't had a chance to test it out against other players.

Edit: Also, can you save gear mods to different pieces in different loadouts like you can weapon mods, or are they tied to whatever holster/mask/whatever that you slot them into?

Gear mods will switch just like weapon mods.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

The skull gloves are still viable, if you do a high end build. I was running a HE build not to long ago. Barrett chest piece, yellow gloves, yellow kneepads, specialized backpack, skulls gloves, nimble holster. A few pages back someone posted a fun 4pc tactician build. Barrett chest (rolled to electronics), relentless backpack, and tactician for your 4 other slots.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

What's your FA to get damage like that? :catstare:

6200 FA, but I stack a lot of multipliers. I'm running an offensive D3-FNC/Ninjabike/Nomad set up with classified pieces and Big Alejandro/The House. Most people seem to run the shield in a defensive set up but those shield damage mods add a LOT of damage, and the shield lets you be really aggressive and push up on NPCs. I also use purple stam mods with DTE. Combined with Nomad, poo poo just melts and you get a nice 15% heal for everyone you kill.

Here's a video I did of my first Solo Lex Challenging run with The House, a nice <10 minute clear. I love this gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5fGZznE7o

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Hulk Krogan posted:

non set skull gloves are viable but you can't run the Hybrid build 6/4/5 or whatever from 1.7, you either need to invest in firearms with a bit of stam or electronics with a bit of stam. MDR isn't great on console any more due to stamina being back in a good way, people can get up in your face again so an lvoac or m4 or house is probably better

3 banshee 2 pred will still work but you need to be able to hard counter Striker and Banshee (emp and edr/immunity station, respectively, so if you are solo and running conceal pulse, pick your poison). Nomad, well, you will lose to a good nomad build most likely. Nomad is a pita

But really - unless you are looking for trouble you can easily get by in the DZ without a 6pc classy meta set.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Hakarne posted:

6200 FA, but I stack a lot of multipliers. I'm running an offensive D3-FNC/Ninjabike/Nomad set up with classified pieces and Big Alejandro/The House. Most people seem to run the shield in a defensive set up but those shield damage mods add a LOT of damage, and the shield lets you be really aggressive and push up on NPCs. I also use purple stam mods with DTE. Combined with Nomad, poo poo just melts and you get a nice 15% heal for everyone you kill.

Here's a video I did of my first Solo Lex Challenging run with The House, a nice <10 minute clear. I love this gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5fGZznE7o

yeah it's funny, the opposite of what everyone was thinking is happening: 6pc DFNC for PvP in a group, offensive NBB DFNC for pve in a group

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well holy poo poo time to tweak my own build then.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just wanna say that I bought this from the Uplay sale a few weeks ago and been having an absolute loving blast. I bought the complete package tier whatever it was sincei t was like 40 bucks vs. 129.99 or whatever.

I'm curious how different the game is now from when it launched cause I don't remember much more than a lukewarm response when The Division first came out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wirth1000 posted:

Just wanna say that I bought this from the Uplay sale a few weeks ago and been having an absolute loving blast. I bought the complete package tier whatever it was sincei t was like 40 bucks vs. 129.99 or whatever.

I'm curious how different the game is now from when it launched cause I don't remember much more than a lukewarm response when The Division first came out.

I didn't get it at launch but this is the image that I remember most when it came out:

Yeah, I don't know what it is but the gameplay loop really keeps me coming back.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

Well holy poo poo time to tweak my own build then.

After more experimenting, I think I slightly prefer 4 D3-FNC, Barret's Vest, and Savage Gloves with about 7,300 FA. I ended up with more toughness, crit chance, and damage (141k HS crits!) at the loss of 10% Health on Kill. I just rolled Health on Kill on the vest instead of armor damage. Either one works great of course, it's just a choice of more damage/initial toughness or better health sustainability.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I didn't get it at launch but this is the image that I remember most when it came out:

Yeah, I don't know what it is but the gameplay loop really keeps me coming back.

At the beginning players could not pass through other player models under any cirumstances and a lot of the time you had to be in a specific spot to access something, ie. an ammo box or an NPC behind a table. Feel like trolling? Go AFK in front of an ammo box or mission-critical NPC. You just blocked it for literally everyone else.

That picture, however, is of the exact opposite happening due to the same issue. A bunch of regular people patiently waiting their turn in an orderly line.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been watching some youtube videos and I can't wrap my head with DZ prepatch, like going rogue if other player walked into your line of fire :psyduck:

Lots of QoL changes in 2017 made this game drat fun. Now I know why I bounced off it hard on the beta and the first free weekend.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hakarne posted:

After more experimenting, I think I slightly prefer 4 D3-FNC, Barret's Vest, and Savage Gloves with about 7,300 FA. I ended up with more toughness, crit chance, and damage (141k HS crits!) at the loss of 10% Health on Kill. I just rolled Health on Kill on the vest instead of armor damage. Either one works great of course, it's just a choice of more damage/initial toughness or better health sustainability.

I'll definitely be pinching your build then. I kill fast enough but looking at your video there is room for a LOT of improvement.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Guillermus posted:

like going rogue if other player walked into your line of fire :psyduck:

This happened to me. I was running around the lower level DZ at around level 14 I think. I heard some guys close by struggling with a mob and I came in and saved them. Accidentally went Rogue but I assured them I wasn't trying to gank their stuff. I helped them extract, got some thank yous, then they logged out. Felt like a super hero :gbsmith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hakarne posted:

After your video, I am definitely going to have to re-think my D3 build for PVE. drat you blow away my clear speed. I don't have a Big Alejandro or Barret's, or Ninja Bag, but I should still be able to do a 4/2 setup that does ok based on what you just showed me.

Thanks!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Sweet D3 build for sure, thanks for sharing.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Bought the season pass from Steam sale, but I'm not quite sure why.

Survival is pretty cool though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

vandalism posted:

Nope. You can use and be effective with everything. However while leveling from 1-30 I always carried a good bolt-action sniper rifle because that let me keep enemies far away and not die. I'd say shotguns are the most difficult to use at lower levels not because they're bad, but because you don't have the +50% range grips which really, really help.

on the other hand point blank with an 870 or whatever is gonna do real mean things to the enemy, so...they can still be worth it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 31, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
A good smg is great for leveling because most enemies don’t have armor and when they do, you probably should be far away and using a sniper rifle.

SMG innate bonus of crit chance works on everything.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Finally got an Urban MDR. Rolls aren't the greatest but glad I got a new toy. Also a couple of Barret's Vests but none from Barret herself even after countless Lexington runs, lol

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pigdog posted:

Bought the season pass from Steam sale, but I'm not quite sure why.

Survival is pretty cool though.

Survival alone is 100% worth the price of admission I M H O.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Outside of the Ninjabike (which I really want), are there any other DZ exclusives?

What's my best bet to get a Ninjabike in the DZ? Doing anything? Or just bosses?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Exotic caches can drop them too.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Outside of the Ninjabike (which I really want), are there any other DZ exclusives?

What's my best bet to get a Ninjabike in the DZ? Doing anything? Or just bosses?

Hungry Hog and Midas are DZ weapons but not exactly desired. Best you can do is get a farming crew and kill bosses.

If you want a really good chance, just try to run heroic incursions and legendary missions. If you have either a Reclaimer or one of the classified dps sets you can help your team out a lot. We ran legendaries with a classified Reclaimer, classified Striker, classified Sentry, and classified Predators.

All I'll say is the medic bosses in Warrengate were dead within a tac link.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 31, 2017

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Stuck on ladder, in my 1.8 patch?!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

At least the ladder doesn't murder you.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm glad you guys are interested in the D3-FNC build. Here's the non Ninjabike build I tend to prefer:

If you don't have a House, I ran with an MP-5 ST pre 1.8 and it's still solid. Second weapon is your choice, but I prefer either a MMR or LMG to give you some range. LMG is also nice for suppressing so you can run up on fools and SMG them in the face. Shoot for 7000 FA then dump the rest into stam/electronics. I went for at least 4832 electronics since I happened to get Ferocious on both of my exotics and I like having a little electronics to pump up shield health/heal strength, but you could also push for 6k sta for the shield health bump from D3-FNC as well. To get this stat spread I used 4 FA pieces and a STA piece with electronic/health gear mods and one purple stam/dte mod. Performance mods are ballistic shield damage - this is the key to making this build hit so hard. Make sure you have some Health on Kill somewhere (I rolled it on chest) so you can replenish as you kill. And make sure you take the combat medic talent, it lets your med kits heal your shield.

For playstyle, I like to open with either my LMG or MMR to kill/weaken whatever enemies I can, then switch to the shield and charge up as close as possible to burn them down with your SMG. Keep in mind your shield is plenty hardy for popping out and burning things down but it is not a tanky shield where you can draw fire from 10 baddies at once and facetank them. Think of the shield as truly mobile cover, not an invincible hunk of metal. Use it to cut around corners and shoot things as they come into view, or lure enemies into a corridor where you can mow them down. Use the environment to keep your flanks covered as much as possible. One of your weaknesses is mobility - getting surrounded is one of your biggest threats. If that happens and you get overwhelmed, try to pull back to a place where you have a corner to hide behind to let your shield regen and you can't be flanked. You're still pretty tanky even when surrounded, and thanks to your damage you can usually kill whatever's in front of you before the flankers fully get into position.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Edit: I have some more fun short (~1m) videos with the build.

1. So that thing about not getting flanked? Yeah, that goes double with hunters. I was mindlessly blasting through my weekly 5 directive when I had a second set of hunters pop up on my last phase. I totally wasn't expecting it. In this video I run right around the corner and get AXED IN THE loving FACE when I realized they were right behind me. Thank god my shield went up just as he hit, I nearly poo poo a brick from that one. As you can see though, hunters are easy as poo poo with this build as long as you don't let them run up and nearly axe you in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFYF8ubPLk

2. Some DZ action solo clearing a contamination event. I love how easy this build makes those flamethrower cleaner bosses. The worst part was the annoying melee gently caress that kept stopping my reload. Just let me put in a new magazine you fucker! :argh: Best part was I extracted two classified pieces while the rogues were having a dickwaving contest you can see starting in the chat box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqcy8OGpQzI

I love this game.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 31, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That is a fantastic post, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Good post!