Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

Yes, you actually are. I’m not going to type up an essay of my experience with soldiers games but trust me on this: using row selection as a credential in any way to gauge towniness, especially this early on is wrong

I'm pretty sure that I'm correct but I'll bow to your experience claim and concede the point, maybe practice plays out different than theory

if someone else has played these games and disagrees with kashuno, please speak up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Is your only opinion aimed at...a mod?

lay off the shine

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

I'm pretty sure that I'm correct but I'll bow to your experience claim and concede the point, maybe practice plays out different than theory

if someone else has played these games and disagrees with kashuno, please speak up

Kashuno posted:

Love you

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max Peck posted:

We haven't had a battle yet, so this is pretty much a normal day 1. Please feel free to join in!

Here's what Max Peck said.

Your Personal Muse posted:

There’s a lot of words in this thread. Of those, I didn’t like Max’s for insinuating I wasn’t going to try to fight or play for whatever weird reason.

This is what stands out to you as the scummiest? Unless you read it with a lot of insinuated spite, it looks friendly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly it was a weird early callout

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
And not to beat a dead horse, but if you skimmed the thread and read KB's post, or any of the replies to it, you might have been inclined to reply.

Why gripe about an innocuous statement and ignore probably the most important thing any town player should be doing?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Here's what Max Peck said.

This is what stands out to you as the scummiest? Unless you read it with a lot of insinuated spite, it looks friendly.

It insinuates I’m trying to duck playing the game. Scum throw out limp wristed shade all the time. If it sticks, they can make a big deal out of it. If it doesn’t stick, they can pretend it never happened and go on about their day.

It reads like he’s setting me up for a future case. If I rise to the occasion and play, it’s no skin off his back. If I lurk, he can say “Look at this man! He’s acting confused!” And build a case on me.

And the more simple answer is that it’s white noise. I’m not a newbie. I don’t need encouragement. It’s just Max coming in and acting like he’s helping the town without really helping it. It’s what we in the business call ~~~~manufacturing content~~~~.

Scum don’t have to be spiteful. They can be friendly.

But you knew all this. You don’t believe in this case.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

And not to beat a dead horse, but if you skimmed the thread and read KB's post, or any of the replies to it, you might have been inclined to reply.

Why gripe about an innocuous statement and ignore probably the most important thing any town player should be doing?

I did reply to KBs post. In the very post that Max quoted.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

I did reply to KBs post. In the very post that Max quoted.

I missed that, it is too late for my brain.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
##unvote I still think you're reading into the Max Peck thing a bit too much but I need to sleep on this.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

##unvote I still think you're reading into the Max Peck thing a bit too much but I need to sleep on this.

And I think you think my opinion of his day 1 reply is much much stronger than it actually is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i don't want to stroke my ego but this also reads to me as tobbs getting called out and immediately trying to find something to latch onto... from something flimsy out of jokephase

which I guess i'm arguably doing but gently caress you

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:agreed:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
im gonna undo my jokephase vote

##unvote

I promise to keep the español to a minimum. swears and (hopefully) obvious accent words. i’ve been having fun with it since I don’t get to use my spanish in daily life much. if i’m still overdoing it feel free to say so

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Once we all (or enough of us) have replied to this, please remind me that I have a comment on it, particularly the third part.

was this comment covered in the kash/genex debate about placements, or thisnpost of yours:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Since the question has been broached:

For attackers, even ranged, you can hit the enemy back row from the front row. There may be players who can do positive/investigative things from the back row only, but in the rules it explicitly states that ranged SCUM can only attack the row directly in front of them.

So, why prefer the back row if you're town?

Also, while it doesn't really matter where I go, front lines is probably best for me.

That being said, there's nothing implicitly townie about preferring the front row, as melee scum will probably want to damage the front rank as much as possible due to both ranged and melee Texans hitting the front row. A melee scum in the back row will probably deal nasty damage, but it's much less likely to result in a kill.

or was it something else you had to say?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GeneX posted:

chaoslord: Lots of white noise (jokephase content), side-eyeing Hats, poking Quid over a pretty good D1 vote on AA, aforementioned not caring about battlephase, open-endedly questioning Tobbs. None of this is especially positive, and some of it is actively negative.

Quids vote was absolutely terrible, are you kidding me with this?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Tobbs throwing a lot of hard opinions out really early, I feel like he might be trying too hard to look townie.

I agree with Kashuno's analysis of combat preferences this early. Still trying to decide how I feel about GeneX and his essays of setup spec and how it pertains to his alignment.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Truth Quark posted:

Tobbs throwing a lot of hard opinions out really early, I feel like he might be trying too hard to look townie.

I agree with Kashuno's analysis of combat preferences this early. Still trying to decide how I feel about GeneX and his essays of setup spec and how it pertains to his alignment.

If it helps, I feel his writing style is very similar to this year’s Christmas game, where he was town.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

That does remind me though

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Bif has to coordinate with her scumbros on who to pick for their NK, as well as what to do if KB puts scum in the battle.

Also, whoever gets put into the battle has to pick who to target. How do you do that without knowing potential abilities/claims on the other team?

Tobbs what was with this post? You didn’t answer earlier

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

chaoslord posted:

Quids vote was absolutely terrible, are you kidding me with this?

no, a d1 vote on a guy who decided to drop answers and cover for not doing anything else is fine

I mean the actual wording of the vote post was weird but the vote itself is fine and definitely not terrible

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

GeneX posted:

no, a d1 vote on a guy who decided to drop answers and cover for not doing anything else is fine

I mean the actual wording of the vote post was weird but the vote itself is fine and definitely not terrible

Let me quote the vote

Quidthulhu posted:

You read enough to see that KB asked game related info and deigned to respond to it but not enough that you felt you needed to comment on your absence? :raise:

##vote AA

Why in the world would anyone need to “comment on [their] absence” in a game that is four hours old? It’s a Friday night on a holiday weekend and someone made one post that answers the confirmed town questions and Quid drops that vote.

Meanwhile, Keane didn’t post for an additional 24 hours, did not explain his even further absence, and only answered KBs questions and that’s it.

It was an astoundingly bad vote and I have no idea how anyone can go “hm yes I think criticizing someone for making a single post on a Friday night is a good vote”

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Ahh,

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I could be reading Quid wrong, given that "not enough that you felt you needed to comment on your absence?" is a nonsense phrase, but what I think he meant was "you read enough to know to answer KB's questions, and are excusing yourself for doing nothing else" which is scummy because it's a bit overly paranoid for D1 town

that said I would like Quid to explain in his own words

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The game was 4 hours old at that point? That is dumb of me.

But then also way dumb of AA to feel the pressure to come in and go "don't worry I'll read this later." Like, why?

Hurm.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Actually now that I'm thinking about this again, did AA even ever come back?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Nothing interesting yet.

Viva el División del Norte!

That's kinda not great. Holiday weekend is a legitimate excuse but you better step up AA!!! :argh:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
I have a feeling with the deadline not being til the 2nd, there’s probably a lot of folks sincerely putting off paying serious attention until after new years’

which, sincere though they may be, would make great cover for lurking scum

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

GeneX posted:

Mafia Edit:

If you're confused on why I'm confused about scum ranged attacks, here's Pod's notes on it:

"SCUM players can use MELEE abilities on the same rank and RANGED abilities on the next rank, so a SCUM player in REAR A could use MELEE on the REAR A rank and RANGED abilities on the FRONT A rank."

What I got from that is that scum meleers can murk people in the same row, but it's unclear if the scum rangers in the front row can shoot the back row (while the opposite is definitely true). I suspect that the answer is yes, but if the answer is no, i.e. scum in the front row [i]can't[i] turn around and shoot the rearguard, then being in the back row also gives scum more targeting opportunities.
I think you've missed the section in the rules with the header "== THE SCUM =="? That's what Tobbs is seeing when he says it's in the rules.

Quidthulhu posted:

I am real certain Kashuno is town, though, that angry analysis infodump is towny af
Well, it's Kash af at least.

There’s a lot of words in this thread. Of those, I didn’t like Max’s for insinuating I wasn’t going to try to fight or play for whatever weird reason.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Is your only opinion aimed at...a mod?
For what it's worth, some people are calling me Peck to escape this confusion.

Anyway, to address this whole thing without quoting half a page: yes, I am annoyed when people seem to be preemptively excusing a lack of content. (I'm equally annoyed by people who aren't bothering to excuse a lack of content, by the way, but that's a long list still.) Just answering KB's survey doesn't give us much to discuss, because the point of the survey is intentionally not revealing too much information. We had 4 pages of posts to go through at the time, surely you had something to comment on? A joke to respond to? Anything?

Kashuno posted:

Admittedly it was a weird early callout
Your face is a weird early callout

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Max Peck posted:

I think you've missed the section in the rules with the header "== THE SCUM =="? That's what Tobbs is seeing when he says it's in the rules.

This one?

"Each thread has a SCUM faction allied with the TOWN in the opposite thread. These players have abilities that follow the same rules as above, but with some slight differences:
- Scum MELEE abilities may ONLY be used on THEIR OWN rank.
- Scum RANGED abilities may ONLY be used on the rank DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THEM.
NOTE: Scum's battle abilities are a degree more powerful than town's. A Leader putting scum in battle is almost certainly going to have more casualties as a result."

Oh. I guess scum can't shoot backwards after all.

On further thought I also seem to have forgotten that ranged abilities can use the same stats as melee abilities, and so scum with ranged powers in the front row are unlikely to be as crippled as my conception of them as pure archers would imply (as they probably also have melee powers), so I guess it all cancels out and returns to the same "nuh uh" "yes huh" "nuh uh and also I have experience" "oh ok" thing

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Speculation over scum abilities is worse than useless right now and I think we should all agree that scum can do very bad things and call it at that.

Kash's response to the spec. Is good. Gene's posts aren't inherently scummy but good googly moogly stop throwing words out on a topic scum know way more about and can easy misdirect town on.

YPM's post on Tobbs is good. I'm inclined to agree.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I have a feeling with the deadline not being til the 2nd, there’s probably a lot of folks sincerely putting off paying serious attention until after new years’

which, sincere though they may be, would make great cover for lurking scum

This is pretty much me, cheers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
im reading but also rum is good

yum yum rum tobbs is scum

##vote tg

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

quick question what the gently caress does this mean

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm happy to see that the game has begun in earnest.

Our thread is way more on the ball than those bozos in Texas.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Peck, I thoroughly responded to Tobbs. Trying to frame me as avoiding the thread is disingenuous. I’m not participating in the battle speculation. It’s not because I’m afraid of doing so or I don’t think it’s important. I really just don’t understand it very well and it’s not my forte.

Seriously, do you think my content has been lacking so far? It’s the holiday weekend at the very start of the game. What’s your angle?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Day 1 is always so fun and exciting

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

I'm happy to see that the game has begun in earnest.

Our thread is way more on the ball than those bozos in Texas.

You are the most glorious of leaders.

To answer your earlier question...

A
B
A/B

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Day 1 is always so fun and exciting

##vote SalTheBard where is your new avatar

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Peck, I thoroughly responded to Tobbs. Trying to frame me as avoiding the thread is disingenuous. I’m not participating in the battle speculation. It’s not because I’m afraid of doing so or I don’t think it’s important. I really just don’t understand it very well and it’s not my forte.

Seriously, do you think my content has been lacking so far? It’s the holiday weekend at the very start of the game. What’s your angle?

Yeah leave YPM alone he's a good guy this game

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

That's kinda not great. Holiday weekend is a legitimate excuse but you better step up AA!!! :argh:

Thanks Quid, let us know when AA has stepped up enough for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

chaoslord posted:

That does remind me though

Tobbs what was with this post? You didn’t answer earlier

Just trying to mix things up. Our thread was a bit quiet so I responded to peramene in our thread.

PMush Perfect posted:

quick question what the gently caress does this mean

That was me missing that YPM had responded to KB's questions. I'm pretty sure I was seeing things that weren't there and barking up the wrong tree.

• Locked thread