Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pablo Gigante posted:

I just bought Cuphead yesterday, the perk that makes you invincible when you dash is pretty great and I couldn't imagine getting through some of the bosses without it but maybe I just need to git gud

It's a cool game

EDIT: You can equip two weapons, I mostly use the spread shot and swap out the peashooter and lobber depending on the boss
I've been super dependent on the auto parry one, but I should be getting a new controller soon so that might help with getting the timing right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been super dependent on the auto parry one, but I should be getting a new controller soon so that might help with getting the timing right?

The parry timing is pretty lenient. Did you do any of the mausoleums? They're good for getting the hang of parrying

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
random caves of qud tips:

- give your first character 18 in every stat except ego, unless you take mental mutations in which case get 18 in ego and sacrifice something else (toughness?)
- turn off permadeath for a bit, at least until you get your footing
- definitely pick up a weapon skill tree
- basic tinkering skills are very good but maybe a bit complicated for a new player
- if you catch some terrible disease go to kyakuya, the mayor sells a copy of the book with the randomly generated cures
- there are plenty of things in this game that will kill you dead if you aggro them. it's very easy to wander into places where the already-aggressive inhabitants will kill you dead. the devs have attempted to address egregious examples of things murdering unsuspecting players but largely it's just how qud works, you learn where you can go and when you should turn around and leave immediately through trial and error (see toggling permadeath off)
- if you see something called a madpole or a sawhander, respect them. they'll rip off your limbs if you engage them in melee

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Shadow of War? I've played the first one so I'm kinda wary of doing sidequests without access to most of my arsenal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Shadow of War? I've played the first one so I'm kinda wary of doing sidequests without access to most of my arsenal.

You get most of your stuff by leveling up and spending the skill points you get each level. Also some side quests give skill points. A couple of things are still story locked, but it's not really a big deal. The first area still is something you should burn through fairly quick to unlock the ability to take over fortresses and stuff.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Anything I should know about Dex?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Steamworld Dig 2?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Steamworld Dig 2?

Take a good look at the upgrades, there's one that lets you fire in mid jump which lets you get past a lot.

Don't be afraid to make two passes through an area, once to b line to the next tube station and once or twice more for money.

There are two types of flying explodey guys, push them away with your chain shot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Universal Paperclips
- It's a clicker/idle game, so you know the deal. Keep it running in the background and just check on it occasionally.
- WireBuyer is a priority, since once you have that, you can pretty much leave the game completely unsupervised indefinitely.
- Memory is more important than Processing, as the cap will stop you from getting upgrades. Your eventual goal is 30/70.
- Don't completely ignore Processing, though, you'll need to start stocking up Creativity eventually.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 28, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Addendum to my previous Cuphead post: Charge Shot is the loving MVP

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anything worth knowing about Binary Domain, playing it on hard thus far. The ai companions seem on par with most ai companions aka dumb as bricks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Anything worth knowing about Binary Domain, playing it on hard thus far. The ai companions seem on par with most ai companions aka dumb as bricks.
Yeah, don't rely on the voice gimmicks and so on, just treat it as a standard cover shooter with an utterly fantastic sense of escalation.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, don't rely on the voice gimmicks and so on, just treat it as a standard cover shooter with an utterly fantastic sense of escalation.

Ya loving it really. Going back and seeing the reviews seems like it got a bit underrated.. It feels like a pure macho action movie from the 80s but with great combat. Especially the parts dismemberment it completely changes the ai's moveset and it gives you different ways to approach the fights.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PMush Perfect posted:

Universal Paperclips

You can fail the third phase.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

PMush Perfect posted:

Universal Paperclips

The get does eventually have sound, so make sure to mute the tab if you play idle games at work like I do.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Talk to me about Cuphead

The first things to unlock are the charge shot and the inviso-dash. The charge shot is seriously powerful and will destroy bosses
Parrying things during boss battles is usually a good idea, just parry everything that's pink to build up charges for super attacks.
Don't rely on auto-parry, the invisible dash is so much more useful and parrying isn't that hard to learn. Practice in the mausoleum.
You can find coins and other secrets and stuff so look around the map carefully.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Ulio posted:

The beforeiplay wiki has a lot of good advice for the game but the most important one is to not miss the upgrade that boosts the amount of approval gained. Makes getting the best ending a lot easier. Be careful not to miss it in the first area that you get to that has a bunch of civilian NPCs. Talk to everyone there until you find it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shibawanko posted:

The first things to unlock are the charge shot and the inviso-dash. The charge shot is seriously powerful and will destroy bosses
Parrying things during boss battles is usually a good idea, just parry everything that's pink to build up charges for super attacks.
Don't rely on auto-parry, the invisible dash is so much more useful and parrying isn't that hard to learn. Practice in the mausoleum.
You can find coins and other secrets and stuff so look around the map carefully.

This. I usually end up using the pea-shooter and spread, though. Also, Dice King is a god-drat dick and I hate him with the fury of a thousand suns.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tollymain posted:

- give your first character 18 in every stat except ego, unless you take mental mutations in which case get 18 in ego and sacrifice something else (toughness?)

:confused: But every weapon skill tree is pretty much balanced around you taking max ability points in your favored weapon...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Renoistic posted:

This. I usually end up using the pea-shooter and spread, though. Also, Dice King is a god-drat dick and I hate him with the fury of a thousand suns.

I'll add some more things since Cuphead's not even on the wiki yet.
- Spread is good up close and to get rid of enemies that swarm you, which helps a lot on certain bosses, so definitely unlock it.
- Another useful weapon is the boomerang. By jumping and firing backwards you can practically fill the entire screen with boomerangs, works great as a swarm clearer and has high damage, there's a few bosses where this is handy, so unlock it too.
- The homing shot has a few niche uses and seems good but it's too weak as a general weapon. Generally, it's best to burst boss phases down as fast as you can with high damage, to avoid exposing yourself to their attacks for longer than necessary, so this low damage weapon is usually not worth it.
- Some bosses play like side scrolling shoot em ups, don't forget that you can turn into a small plane to dodge bullets, and you can switch between your gun and bombs. Bombs are slightly more powerful than the gun so use them if you can.
- If you get stuck somewhere, switch your weapons and try again. The charge shot is probably the most useful, but the game demands that you vary your loadout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ulio posted:

If you want to try for the Golden Ending; Pick Charles and Rachel whenever you can, they get the fewest opportunities to be in your squad. Don't take Cain or Faye by choice, they're fixed squad members for a stretch later.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to try for the Golden Ending; Pick Charles and Rachel whenever you can, they get the fewest opportunities to be in your squad. Don't take Cain or Faye by choice, they're fixed squad members for a stretch later.

Ya I've been doing mostly this. Man it is hard though, after seeing Cain in his debut scene I wanted to play the rest of the game with him. Sassy French Robot is too cool.

Senjuro posted:

The beforeiplay wiki has a lot of good advice for the game but the most important one is to not miss the upgrade that boosts the amount of approval gained. Makes getting the best ending a lot easier. Be careful not to miss it in the first area that you get to that has a bunch of civilian NPCs. Talk to everyone there until you find it.

Ya I don't know if I missed those. I explore every level as much as I can unless there is an urgent objective. Are those nanomachines or just some boosts? Cause I did find some codex looking things but doesn't say what they do.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ulio posted:

Man it is hard though, after seeing Cain in his debut scene I wanted to play the rest of the game with him. Sassy French Robot is too cool.

the good news is he'll be locked into your party until the end of the game so hey

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks for reminding me Binary Domain exists, I've had that in my steam log forever and have been meaning to get to it. Totally one of those under the radar games that should be more popular.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Dishonored 2 has a bunch of helpful tips on the wiki, but I have a few questions:

Does it matter who you pick when you start the game?

How crucial is it to keep primary objective targets alive? I played the first one with ultra low chaos levels and I found that method to be a pain/tedious. I kind of just want to only kill when I need to and to occasionally murder targets.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I looked at the wiki but any additional info for Prey I should know?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mayor McCheese posted:

Dishonored 2 has a bunch of helpful tips on the wiki, but I have a few questions:

How crucial is it to keep primary objective targets alive? I played the first one with ultra low chaos levels and I found that method to be a pain/tedious. I kind of just want to only kill when I need to and to occasionally murder targets.

Yeah, Emily and Corvo have completely different powersets. Corvo basically has all his Dishonored 1 stuff back with a few new tricks while Emily is completely different.

Corvo also has more/better tools to go loud with while Emily's powers tend to complement stealth a bit more. Either one is good at both though, so play however you want.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

anilEhilated posted:

Just do the story, don't worry about the collectibles.

Seriously. Don't worry about collectibles. You get more than enough skill points from other sources, and the skill getting all the gondorian artifacts unlocks is cool but also not that great.

Maybe do the Celebrimbor flashback missions though because they're pretty fun and unlock legendary gear.

On the subject of gear, never dismantle legendary gear unless you have a duplicate. Legendary gear can level up infinitely at certain milestones. Epic gear can only be upgraded once.

Mayor McCheese posted:

The game makes a lot more sense thematically if you play as Emily, and it feels as though they wrote Corvo in... not as an afterthought, but it's all just a bit less meaningful.

Still totally fun with either though.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 29, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mayor McCheese posted:

Depends on what you want to achieve. IIRC, Chaos only really affects the ending slides you get - there's no alternate level this time around so there's no need to stress about it.
Anyhow, both Corvo and Emily have the tools to handle everything the game throws at you; the biggest difference, IMO, is that Emily's Blink equivalent has a longer reach but doesn't actually teleport you - it flings you to the location meaning you're visible. It's fast enough for it to not matter 90% of the time though.

And of course, there's there no.1 Dishonored tip - don't reload when you gently caress up, try to play with the cards you got dealt and watch hilarity emerge.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 29, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anilEhilated posted:

When you get to the end, don't feel obligated to play through Shadow Wars (you'll know what I mean.) It's designed around extracting value from the customer through lootboxes. Play until it's not fun anymore, then look up the end on youtube.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Xeras posted:

I looked at the wiki but any additional info for Prey I should know?

Shotgun is very damaging point blank, but it has almost no range. Don't go plinking at enemies from distance with it, particularly early on when you can't manufacture ammo for it. Almost treat it like a melee weapon.

Stealth talents are quite powerful.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Ulio posted:

If you normally play games with subtitles off, keep them on for this one. There are a number of cutscenes with characters speaking Japanese, and if you don't have subtitles on they won't get translated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hannibal Smith posted:

If you normally play games with subtitles off, keep them on for this one. There are a number of cutscenes with characters speaking Japanese, and if you don't have subtitles on they won't get translated.

I've always been curious to whether that was a deliberate choice on the part of the localization team, or a request/instruction from the developers.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Ulio posted:

Ya I've been doing mostly this. Man it is hard though, after seeing Cain in his debut scene I wanted to play the rest of the game with him. Sassy French Robot is too cool.

Ya I don't know if I missed those. I explore every level as much as I can unless there is an urgent objective. Are those nanomachines or just some boosts? Cause I did find some codex looking things but doesn't say what they do.

It's a nanomachine in chapter 2. When you get to this area:

Talk to this guy:

Although it sounds like you've already passed this point.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for the tips!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Just finished Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus after a rough start. Some of these could just be me, but:
  • The game's not Doom 2016 despite some similar trappings and series origins. The enemies are mostly ranged and use hitscan weapons so charging around in the open will get you killed. There's no invulnerability with melee kills either, so using it on anything but a lone target will usually get you killed during the animation lock. The game has a stealth system to help compensate, but it's pretty shallow and usually you can find the commanders by following the trail of Nazi's with their backs conveniently turned. They're not very aware of dead bodies and often it's best just to axe them as you go along.

• Axes can be thrown then picked up after for stealth kills. Enemies with body armor might need more than one to kill.

• If you do get an alert, the AI is pretty dumb and will pretty much sprint directly to your location. This is frustrating when it leads to getting flanked and insta-killed by a conga-line of enemies, but ends up working in your favor if you start sitting back a minute or two while most of the Nazis on the map charge into your crosshairs so you can thin them out. I'm not sure the difference an alive commander makes, but it seems like they'll call in more grunts and some eventually come up to you themselves when enough get cleared out.

• Pickups are really small and hard to see with the walk over auto-pick up radius being tiny. Run around between fights spamming E and you'll often find health in random dark corners or counter tops. Armored enemies, especially the robots, drop armor pickups all over the place when they die. They look like cosmetic debris at first, but it's really necessary to collect them to keep topped up.

• The weapons aren't that intuitive from the graphics, but you can sort out which is which from the names on the weapon wheel and journal. They mostly follow usual fps numbering.
    1: Pistol
    2: Submachine gun
    3: Rifle
    4: Shotgun
    5: Sticky bomb Launcher
    6: Grenade Launcher(?, didn't actually realize I had this until the end.)

• Weapon upgrades that aren't extra ammo capacity tend to be alternate fire modes rather than straight improvements. Toggle with C or Z, usually there'll be a visual cue on the weapon itself.

• One of the heavy weapons looks like a four barrel machine gun and first place I remember seeing it was a survive/defense section where two of them are on mounts way off on the sides. They're actually heavy shotguns and suck to use on the gun mounts at range. The gun mounts suck in general, but can be used as universal heavy weapon ammo refills by mounting a gun and taking it off.

• In the latter half of the game, there'll be a choice of contraptions that give you particular abilities. Pick the one that lines up more with the stealth/havoc/tactical mode you want to play in rather than strictly the advertised ability since they also come with passive perks to compliment it. I got way more mileage out of the stealth one allowing me to stay quiet at normal walk and the bullet time window when spotted than the actual active ability.

• You keep any perk progress even if you die, so don't worry about grinding them out since they'll probably get done anyway if you actually need them.

yook fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 31, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

yook posted:

Just finished Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus after a rough start. Some of these could just be me, but:
  • The game's not Doom 2016 despite some similar trappings and series origins. The enemies are mostly ranged and use hitscan weapons so charging around in the open will get you killed. There's no invulnerability with melee kills either, so using it on anything but a lone target will usually get you killed during the animation lock. The game has a stealth system to help compensate, but it's pretty shallow and usually you can find the commanders by following the trail of Nazi's with their backs conveniently turned. They're not very aware of dead bodies and often it's best just to axe them as you go along.

• Axes can be thrown then picked up after for stealth kills. Enemies with body armor might need more than one to kill.

• If you do get an alert, the AI is pretty dumb and will pretty much sprint directly to your location. This is frustrating when it leads to getting flanked and insta-killed by a conga-line of enemies, but ends up working in your favor if you start sitting back a minute or two while most of the Nazis on the map charge into your crosshairs so you can thin them out. I'm not sure the difference an alive commander makes, but it seems like they'll call in more grunts and some eventually come up to you themselves when enough get cleared out.

• Pickups are really small and hard to see with the walk over auto-pick up radius being tiny. Run around between fights spamming E and you'll often find health in random dark corners or counter tops. Armored enemies, especially the robots, drop armor pickups all over the place when they die. They look like cosmetic debris at first, but it's really necessary to collect them to keep topped up.

• The weapons aren't that intuitive from the graphics, but you can sort out which is which from the names on the weapon wheel and journal. They mostly follow usual fps numbering.
    1: Pistol
    2: Submachine gun
    3: Rifle
    4: Shotgun
    5: Sticky bomb Launcher
    6: Grenade Launcher(?, didn't actually realize I had this until the end.)

• Weapon upgrades that aren't extra ammo capacity tend to be alternate fire modes rather than straight improvements. Toggle with C or Z, usually there'll be a visual cue on the weapon itself.

• One of the heavy weapons looks like a four barrel machine gun and first place I remember seeing it was a survive/defense section where two of them are on mounts way off on the sides. They're actually heavy shotguns and suck to use on the gun mounts at range. The gun mounts suck in general, but can be used as universal heavy weapon ammo refills by mounting a gun and taking it off.

• In the latter half of the game, there'll be a choice of contraptions that give you particular abilities. Pick the one that lines up more with the stealth/havoc/tactical mode you want to play in rather than strictly the advertised ability since they also come with passive perks to compliment it. I got way more mileage out of the stealth one allowing me to stay quiet at normal walk and the bullet time window when spotted than the actual active ability.

• You keep any perk progress even if you die, so don't worry about grinding them out since they'll probably get done anyway if you actually need them.

Hold down aim/right-click when using the Heavy Weapons. You walk slower, but it's a "spin-up'" passive that does things like make the quad-shotty fire at full speed immediately.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something for Heat Signature I just noticed: You can press F at any time to speed up time, not only on space. Very useful when you're waiting for the key-carrying guy to move.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Fat Samurai posted:

Something for Heat Signature I just noticed: You can press F at any time to speed up time, not only on space. Very useful when you're waiting for the key-carrying guy to move.

melee weapons can chain 3 attacks, not just 2. Hit, throw, TP back to pocket, throw again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In Shadowhand the game piles up gear and special wildcards in a way that looks like you can only pick from the top of the pile. You can actually select things from the middle of these piles if you want.