Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hal Incandenza posted:

You are the most glorious of leaders.

To answer your earlier question...

A
B
A/B

Sucking up is p. scummy imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im gonna undo my jokephase vote

##unvote

I promise to keep the español to a minimum. swears and (hopefully) obvious accent words. i’ve been having fun with it since I don’t get to use my spanish in daily life much. if i’m still overdoing it feel free to say so

was this comment covered in the kash/genex debate about placements, or thisnpost of yours:

or was it something else you had to say?

No, that was it. I didn't read any of the other Soldiers games but it keeps coming up that scum liked being in the back ranks. Yeah, scum with powerful ranged abilities get screwed in the front row, but there's something Pod said that gives me pause:

"P.S. Many thanks to Ecco and Asiina for their excellent modding and documentation of The Conquest of Qal, a fantastic soldiers game that heavily inspired this one from rules writeup to many moving parts on the backend. (Metagamers beware - assumptions based on that game are likely to bamboozle you in the end!)"

If scum wanting to be in the back was a major takeaway from that game (which seems to be the consensus) then Pod has almost certainly made town roles that really want to be in the back ranks.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

CCKeane posted:

Sucking up is p. scummy imo.

Not brown nosing the Glorious Pancho Villa seems pretty suspicious to me. He is Glorious and Our Dear Leader. Why wouldn't you?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

No, that was it. I didn't read any of the other Soldiers games but it keeps coming up that scum liked being in the back ranks. Yeah, scum with powerful ranged abilities get screwed in the front row, but there's something Pod said that gives me pause:

"P.S. Many thanks to Ecco and Asiina for their excellent modding and documentation of The Conquest of Qal, a fantastic soldiers game that heavily inspired this one from rules writeup to many moving parts on the backend. (Metagamers beware - assumptions based on that game are likely to bamboozle you in the end!)"

If scum wanting to be in the back was a major takeaway from that game (which seems to be the consensus) then Pod has almost certainly made town roles that really want to be in the back ranks.

By the same logic, we also probably want to stay away from thinking players are more townie for wanting to be in the front row.

Pod does his best to screw with people trying to metagame, so if we treat this as a regular mafia game with a cool battle mechanic we're probably going to do well.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

Day 1 is always so fun and exciting

This is a pretty suspect drive by post.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And the way this game seems to be setup, I'm assuming that most people have both a ranged and melee ability. Now sure, there are almost certainly a few people out there who have only ranged or only melee abilities, but I suspect the majority of people can actually be used in either line and their preference is based more on how their stats are setup to interact with their abilities.

And another thought could be that people who would prefer to be in the back row just might not have that many HP because after all, the people in the front rows could be attacked by 6 people while the people in the back row can only be attacked by 3 people (not including scum attacks).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Hal Incandenza posted:

##vote SalTheBard where is your new avatar

No one ever gave me one :-(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

What is your purpose in posting this?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I thought we already established, by virtue of no one disagreeing with kashuno, that where people want to be in battle is not alignment-indicative

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

What is your purpose in posting this?

I was replying to a post where someone directly asked me to address my earlier statement, as well as clarifying my thoughts on it. Essentially I agree with Kashuno (and GeneX's new position) that rank choice is alignment-neutral.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So are you saying your opinion on row-stuff changed, or was your comment always going to be "it says nothing about people's alignments"?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

No one ever gave me one :-(

Yeah this was on me. Running a game as I was trying to also get a promotion at work was terrible and I fell off completely :(

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also please STOP TRYING TO SETUP SPEC ON DAY 1

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
##vote Tobbs fuckre

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I was replying to a post where someone directly asked me to address my earlier statement, as well as clarifying my thoughts on it. Essentially I agree with Kashuno (and GeneX's new position) that rank choice is alignment-neutral.

That's a lot of words to throw at the topic.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Page 6:

King Burgundy posted:

Our thread is way more on the ball than those bozos in Texas.

Also page 6:

PMush Perfect posted:

yum yum rum tobbs is scum

I mean, KB's still not wrong, but that's some serious shade, Texas thread.

Your Personal Muse posted:

Peck, I thoroughly responded to Tobbs. Trying to frame me as avoiding the thread is disingenuous. I’m not participating in the battle speculation. It’s not because I’m afraid of doing so or I don’t think it’s important. I really just don’t understand it very well and it’s not my forte.

Seriously, do you think my content has been lacking so far? It’s the holiday weekend at the very start of the game. What’s your angle?
But you were complaining about my initial callout, before you'd come up with any content. I am glad you've started interacting with people; the next step would be to do something beyond just attacking people who call you out.

I'll admit I've been giving a bit of a pass to people who are completely not here (vs. people who are here but not producing content) due to the holidays, but with a little under 2.5 days stretching over New Year's to go it's maybe time to change course on that.

Also, pi over 6 radians.

SalTheBard posted:

Day 1 is always so fun and exciting
Hi! I'm currently having a row with people actively lurking with posts like "Day 1 is always so fun and exciting", would you care to join? A couple more people and I think I can get it upgraded to a flaming row!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah leave YPM alone he's a good guy this game
Is this a gut feeling, or a read, or ?

Kashuno posted:

Yeah, agreed at this point. It's a little interesting, because people's assumptions when speculating are probably colored by their own abilities, but it's not going to get anywhere yet.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

GeneX posted:

So are you saying your opinion on row-stuff changed, or was your comment always going to be "it says nothing about people's alignments"?

It's changed. Initially I saw that ranged scum could ONLY attack the row in front of them, and that coupled with the fact that ranged town will still hit Texans from the front row made it seem like those preferring the back ranks might deserve extra scrutiny.

However, since that was a major metagaming takeaway from the previous soldiers games AND Podima specifically says that metagaming takeaways from previous soldiers games have been neutralized, my initial conclusion drawn from the rules was erroneous. Also, as others have said, there may be players with abilities that target the row in front of them in a positive way. Not having anything like that myself, though, makes that nothing more than speculation.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

Yeah this was on me. Running a game as I was trying to also get a promotion at work was terrible and I fell off completely :(

All good! Did you get the promotion?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Kashuno posted:

##vote Tobbs fuckre

Also, players were confused about which melee/ranged abilities were able to target which ranks, depending on when they were scum or town. It's stated explicitly in the rules, but I've read through them 3-4 times and didn't pick everything up on the first or even second read-through.

Yeah, it doesn't mean a whole lot right now, but supposedly we are getting battle results and I think it's a good idea for everyone to have a decent understanding of the game mechanics, as it will help individuals determine the results of their own actions.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm going to day kill the next person to engage in in this asinine front row back row conversation. It is dead let's all pretend it never happened.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max Peck posted:

Page 6:

Also page 6:

I mean, KB's still not wrong, but that's some serious shade, Texas thread.

But you were complaining about my initial callout, before you'd come up with any content. I am glad you've started interacting with people; the next step would be to do something beyond just attacking people who call you out.

I'll admit I've been giving a bit of a pass to people who are completely not here (vs. people who are here but not producing content) due to the holidays, but with a little under 2.5 days stretching over New Year's to go it's maybe time to change course on that.

Also, pi over 6 radians.

Hi! I'm currently having a row with people actively lurking with posts like "Day 1 is always so fun and exciting", would you care to join? A couple more people and I think I can get it upgraded to a flaming row!

Is this a gut feeling, or a read, or ?

Yeah, agreed at this point. It's a little interesting, because people's assumptions when speculating are probably colored by their own abilities, but it's not going to get anywhere yet.

This is a really good joke.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

Gamerofthegame (2): Murmur Twin, Max Peck
Tobbs Gnawed (2): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, PMush Perfect, Kashuno
Kashuno (2): Truth Quark, chaoslord, Max Peck, TMMadman, 50 pounds of bread, chaoslord, 50 pounds of bread, Max Peck
Slaan (2): 50 pounds of bread, Gamerofthegame
The Lord of Hats (1): GeneX
Quidthulhu (1): chaoslord
50 pounds of bread (1): Slaan
SalTheBard (1): Hal Incandenza
Anomalous Amalgam (1): Quidthulhu
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
chaoslord (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
GeneX (0): OMGVBFLOL, Kashuno, OMGVBFLOL, Kashuno
Your Personal Muse (0): Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed
OMGVBFLOL (0): GeneX, GeneX
Murmur Twin (0): TMMadman, chaoslord, chaoslord, TMMadman

Not Voting (12): Anomalous Amalgam, CCKeane, Flying Leatherman, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Moatillata, Monathin, OMGVBFLOL, SalTheBard, The Lord of Hats, Tobbs Gnawed, Your Personal Muse :rubshands:

With 25 people still alive, it takes 13 votes to execute.
The current deadline is January 02nd, 2018 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 8 hours.

Many legends and tall tales followed Pancho (formerly Francisco) Villa through his storied career. A bandit turned revolutionary, he helped mobilize the downtrodden and shape them into a fighting force to be feared like no other. As time went on, those he worked with began to feel uneasy - was the División del Norte truly fighting for the Mexican revolution, or were they fighting for Pancho Villa only? It seems that their fears were warranted, as this new Shine-fuelled incursion into Texas seems to have little to do with the revolutionaries' goals for Mexican reform.

But as for how the División del Norte became a fearsome army capable of challenging Texas, let alone the entire United States? That's a story for another time...

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Alright, so I looked about and I also think TMM is pretty suspect. The vote on Kash feels like a self conscious "lol I'm voting Kahs" and the subsequent topics of conversation he engaged in are banal.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Threat of violence brings the dull roar of conversation to a screeching halt.

Kid's up now, though, so he may as well get movin'.

Gamerofthegame posted:

i don't want to stroke my ego but this also reads to me as tobbs getting called out and immediately trying to find something to latch onto... from something flimsy out of jokephase

which I guess i'm arguably doing but gently caress you

##vote Gamer

Kid figures two wrongs don't make a right. Given how deeply the argument derailed last night due to this case, he isn't exactly getting the warm fuzzies. Managed to shift suspicion over to another member of the camp, but never actually backed down from their stance.

Gamerofthegame posted:

if someone goes "hey who's suspicious enough to use a power on" i'm just going to assume a dayvig hustle

it's been a while but I feel it's fair

Murmur Twin posted:

To be clear - you read what TMM said and thought "he is trying to dayvig someone"?

Exchanges like this don't invite confidence, and they immediately shifted onto a case that derailed suspicion enough from them. Kid's not buying it was a legitimate effort.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CCKeane posted:

Alright, so I looked about and I also think TMM is pretty suspect. The vote on Kash feels like a self conscious "lol I'm voting Kahs" and the subsequent topics of conversation he engaged in are banal.

Kid waves to a comrade in arms, wants them to check over his work, see if he's missing anything. Better to have a second pair of eyes on it.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
For KB:

I know this wasn't part of the questions, but I don't feel like it's a bad thing to share as it will help with strategy, especially if you decide to start invading Texas and want to min-max your setup.

The role that fits me best is [TANK]. I don't hit very hard, but I can take more punishment than most and stay standing.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Blood meridian is one of my favorite books, montahin I advise you avoid the jakes after this game

Watching my dog poo poo
Thinking about this drat game
Gene why the spreadsheets?

Also tobbs hello it has been awhile you are seeming p tree rn. Are you feeling it?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Monathin posted:

Kid waves to a comrade in arms, wants them to check over his work, see if he's missing anything. Better to have a second pair of eyes on it.

A couple things I picked up were that it was essentially a jokevote but stayed on Kash even when he had 4 votes on him.

The other thing is that I agree with TQ that the interaction between MMT and TMM looks like it could be fabricated. They both seem to be posting pretty carefully, though, so it's hard to get a solid read. Not having been picked out and tunneled by MMT thus far makes me really uncomfortable, but I'm sure it's coming.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Blood meridian is one of my favorite books, montahin I advise you avoid the jakes after this game

Watching my dog poo poo

Also tobbs hello it has been awhile you are seeming p tree rn. Are you feeling it?

I am very very tree and I think you are too Moat.

I get e-mails if someone sends me a PM so if you ever want to drag me into a game let 'er rip and I'll come runnin'.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I am very very tree and I think you are too Moat.

I get e-mails if someone sends me a PM so if you ever want to drag me into a game let 'er rip and I'll come runnin'.

If you're not in your weird murder cabin or abroad in Europe drinking from tiny cups

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

If you're not in your weird murder cabin or abroad in Europe drinking from tiny cups

The cups were in Belgium and not tiny because I always got the 50 cL ones.

I am going to Japan in April.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Also my haiku was a legitimate question gene

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

For KB:

I know this wasn't part of the questions, but I don't feel like it's a bad thing to share as it will help with strategy, especially if you decide to start invading Texas and want to min-max your setup.

The role that fits me best is [TANK]. I don't hit very hard, but I can take more punishment than most and stay standing.

This is the kind of thing that is and to reveal because it helps enemy targeting a lot 🙃

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

This is the kind of thing that is and to reveal because it helps enemy targeting a lot 🙃

I am prepared to die for Glorious Mexico. Maybe it helps them a little (knowing they need to hit me a lot, or possibly avoiding me to hit an easier target) but if you stick your tanks up front, the enemy will have to work pretty hard to bring down more than one. Like I said, it's more important if we are invading Mexico than battling on neutral ground.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

A couple things I picked up were that it was essentially a jokevote but stayed on Kash even when he had 4 votes on him.

The other thing is that I agree with TQ that the interaction between MMT and TMM looks like it could be fabricated. They both seem to be posting pretty carefully, though, so it's hard to get a solid read. Not having been picked out and tunneled by MMT thus far makes me really uncomfortable, but I'm sure it's coming.

Kid shakes his head. Fool's errand to think that exchange might be anything more than a bit both were expecting from the start. Kid still ain't convinced it's fabricated with the intent to fly under the radar - more like a long-running joke.

If the hunt's gonna start in earnest, he's already got his suspicions pretty well set for now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I am prepared to die for Glorious Mexico. Maybe it helps them a little (knowing they need to hit me a lot, or possibly avoiding me to hit an easier target) but if you stick your tanks up front, the enemy will have to work pretty hard to bring down more than one. Like I said, it's more important if we are invading Mexico than battling on neutral ground.

Everything you just said is like the exact problem with people who claim vanilla Town. You are helping scum way more than us

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Moatillata posted:

Watching my dog poo poo

Easiest way to quickly collect and compare info, and once I did the texas thread I figured I should do it for us too since I thought it could be used as a scumhunting aid (+it’s probably helpful to have around for KB)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm going to ##unvote for now so that I can actually vote soonish.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Everything you just said is like the exact problem with people who claim vanilla Town. You are helping scum way more than us

Stop rolefishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Stop rolefishing.

...what?

Explain. Not the definition of rolefishing, but rather why on earth you think Kashuno is doing it

• Locked thread