Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can never make peace with Yadier Molina for some reason. Part of me can't stop thinking of him as Benjie and Jose's kid brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The complete polar opposite player, Edwin Jackson, is only 33, two years older than I AM, and in my head he was old enough to have retired 5-6 years ago. Also - thirteen teams.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Tom Gorman posted:

The complete polar opposite player, Edwin Jackson, is only 33, two years older than I AM, and in my head he was old enough to have retired 5-6 years ago. Also - thirteen teams.

Holy poo poo Edwin Jackson is only 33? I'm 33. I'm with ya it feels like he should have retired after 2011 with the cards. I forgot he signed for like 4 years with the cubs after that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who was this, Josh Lueke?

Is it sad that I know the answer is yes without looking?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I hope Edwin Jackson pitches until he’s 50. It makes me feel young to have people jfc at him being only 33.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I had an Edwin Jackson avatar in HIGH SCHOOL. That was 10 years ago.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ejax shouldn't be allowed to retire until he has pitched for every team

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had an Edwin Jackson avatar in HIGH SCHOOL. That was 10 years ago.

Lil babby

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ejax shouldn't be allowed to retire until he has pitched for every team

Do Jackson and Dotel still have the record for most teams played for at 13 each? If so, let us all take a moment to marvel at the patchwork pitching staff of the 2011 Cardinals.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Jackson's only at 12.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edwin Jackson tried to fight Kevin Youkilis and was the reason the Tigers got Max Scherzer, so I love him forever.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Now I have to do some digging and find out which is larger:

1) # of teams Edwin Jackson has pitched for

2) # of players who have fought Kevin Youkilis

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who was this, Josh Lueke?

Ding ding ding

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Pancakes posted:

Do Jackson and Dotel still have the record for most teams played for at 13 each? If so, let us all take a moment to marvel at the patchwork pitching staff of the 2011 Cardinals.

Tony Phillips posted:

Jackson's only at 12.

Jackson was a Blue Jay but never pitched for them. The Jays would make 13.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems really weird to me the MLB Network doesn't show winter league games, or show highlights, or even discuss them really. It's baseball. It's going on right now. I want to watch baseball.

https://twitter.com/Crewsett/status/947280768467861504

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at junior lake still existing

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

R.D. Mangles posted:

Puerto Rican league has Jonathan Sanchez pitching.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

He's only 27 years old too...

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Today I learned that Murray Chass will never lose his Hall of Fame vote. He's got it for life because he won some award that sportswriters give to themselves. Good job, BBWAA :thumbsup:

He blogged about it on his blog today: http://www.murraychass.com/?p=11216. and his ballot is bad - but not the worst I've seen this year tbf.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Today I learned that Murray Chass will never lose his Hall of Fame vote. He's got it for life because he won some award that sportswriters give to themselves. Good job, BBWAA :thumbsup:

He blogged about it on his blog today: http://www.murraychass.com/?p=11216. and his ballot is bad - but not the worst I've seen this year tbf.

Holy poo poo. Chass the rear end almost sent in an Edgar only ballot. Even the ghost of Dave Niehaus would call that stupid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess it’s better than last year when he sent in a blank ballot?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Curt Schilling, just doing his thing.

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/947472785923768320

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best bit is Schilling implying that it's okay to be a fascist as long as you make an effort to hide it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess it’s better than last year when he sent in a blank ballot?

Remember back in like 2014 when Chass said he was no longer going to vote, and then a month later he went back on it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

The best bit is Schilling implying that it's okay to be a fascist as long as you make an effort to hide it.

So... like the entirety of the US right wing right now?

The Pussy Boss posted:

Give Batard his vote back.

Actually give one vote to Deadspin and one vote here. gently caress crusty old white men.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iospace posted:

So... like the entirety of the US right wing right now?

Give Batard his vote back.

Actually give one vote to Deadspin and one vote here. gently caress crusty old white men.

Our votes aren't that great either tbh, outside of not being dumb about steroid era guys

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

We failed to vote in Trammel last year and we're going to fail to vote in Edmonds this year. Our votes aren't that great either. :negative:

E:

IcePhoenix posted:

Our votes aren't that great either tbh
:argh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Have another great Schilling moment to end the year-

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/947528715738800128

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ah ha ha. The guy Schilling was insulting changed his name.

https://twitter.com/cholent_lover

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I was about to say the same thing.

IcePhoenix posted:

Our votes aren't that great either tbh, outside of not being dumb about steroid era guys
The Deadspin ballot was pretty good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Congratulations to the Seattle Mariners to having the longest playoff draught in North America!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kirios posted:

Congratulations to the Seattle Mariners to having the longest playoff draught in North America!!!
I'm sure my Marlins will be taking over that spot, as I figure the Mariners have to get in the playoffs in the next couple of years, whereas I'm sure the Marlins will continue to not compete for years to come.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Kirios posted:

gently caress off

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

kensei posted:

gently caress off

Sorry for speaking the truth bro

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kirios posted:

Sorry for speaking the truth bro

You misspelled "drought" though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
nah, the Mariners have a special draught and are going to get shitfaced when they make it

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

nah, the Mariners have a special draught and are going to get shitfaced when they make it

Mariners Draught

I'd rather eat your ham bananas and wash it down with hot Coors light.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Now that the Seahawks bandwagon is over, the city probably is ready for a few hundred thousand DIEHARD M'S FANS 4 LIFE to suddenly appear if they actually did make the playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I look forward to the emergence of the 26es

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello here are a couple of Bronson Arroyo stories

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2017/12/28/oral-history-bronson-arroyos-career-cincinnati-reds/799695001/

quote:

Stowe: “I do remember a couple pranks that he’s pulled. Billy Hatcher has got a little phobia of small people.”

Hatcher: “I don’t have a phobia.”

Stowe: “Bronson knew one of the guys from Big and Rich. He brought him and his brother in, who were both… smaller in stature. He hid them in his locker.”

Hatcher: “He told me he was ordering a glove and he had ‘El Snatcho’ put on it. I come in from throwing batting practice one day, and he says, ‘Hatch, I got your glove. It’s in my locker. It’s right there, get it out.’”

Stowe: “There they are behind all his clothes.”

Hatcher: “Two little guys, and I almost s—t myself, is basically what happened. I took off running and they got a laugh out of it. It probably took two or three years off my life.”

quote:

Votto: “He made a song about me. He made a song about me getting a Lamborghini. ‘I’m the MVP and I’m ridin’ in my Lambooooo.’ I came into the clubhouse one day and the song was playing over the speakers. I was like, ‘What is that?’ Then I started listening to it and guys would look at me and point and laugh. It was the year I’d won the Most Valuable Player and I bought a Lamborghini. He was just basically putting me in my place and reminding me, ‘Hey, you’re not immune to our shenanigans.’ I still ask him to this day for that song. I want the mp3 of it so I can listen to it in my Ford Focus.”

Godspeed Bronson Arroyo

• Locked thread