Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

years ago, as an apple contractor, an employee asked me, being from the midwest, if we have "kor-ee-ann food" where i'm from

just sayin

well did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

there’s something weird with my Apple maps

every day when I leave work, heading home, it tells me I will make X minutes to “Random person’s name” (some neighbor I don’t know)

He shows up in my map but nowhere else(not a business name), I don’t have contact with him, he’s far enough that we can’t share WiFi networks... It’s weird. I’m tempted to go knock on his door and ask why hes showing up in my Apple maps and why iOS wants me to meet him every weekday

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

...yes

also, at least at the time, cupertino's "best" korean restaurant was, shall we say, lacking in authenticity. at least relative to the best of mid-size cities in the midwest!

p.s. the "bay area" sucks poo poo. san francisco cannot redeem the shittiness of its suburbs. just while we're playing the regions game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

every day when I leave work, heading home, it tells me I will make X minutes to “Random person’s name” (some neighbor I don’t know)

He shows up in my map but nowhere else(not a business name), I don’t have contact with him, he’s far enough that we can’t share WiFi networks... It’s weird. I’m tempted to go knock on his door and ask why hes showing up in my Apple maps and why iOS wants me to meet him every weekday

Pls file a bug at open radar with whatever logs it asks you for. That's weird as poo poo and they will want to fix it fast since it's a privacy concern for your neighbor.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

your partner thats sharing your apple id on their phone is loving him

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Last Chance posted:

your partner thats sharing your apple id on their phone is loving him

lol toried again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

partner... lol

cis autodrag posted:

Pls file a bug at open radar with whatever logs it asks you for. That's weird as poo poo and they will want to fix it fast since it's a privacy concern for your neighbor.

yeah ok

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i got a wireless charging pad for my iphone 8 and it feels like im living in the goddamn future

the far-off distant future year of 2009 when i had a palm pixi and a touchstone charger :smith:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

...yes

also, at least at the time, cupertino's "best" korean restaurant was, shall we say, lacking in authenticity. at least relative to the best of mid-size cities in the midwest!

p.s. the "bay area" sucks poo poo. san francisco cannot redeem the shittiness of its suburbs. just while we're playing the regions game.

use google maps

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SO DEMANDING posted:

i got a wireless charging pad for my iphone 8 and it feels like im living in the goddamn future

the far-off distant future year of 2009 when i had a palm pixi and a touchstone charger :smith:

lol i forgot they added this to the latest iphones

enjoy your jiffy pop phone

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

corporate cafeterias come in two flavors

aramark
not aramark

if you are in the latter category, you are doing pretty good

what no eurest lol

god i hated eurest at level 3 main campus

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

suck
his
dick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i work really near a fish and chip shop so sometimes i get a fish burger and chips and mate does it go down a treat

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I hate this meme. People are constantly saying it at women by accident and it ends up hurting people.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sorry that the koreans in the south bay didn't specifically open their restaurants in the right suburb for your personal convenience. maybe there's like an official board you can complain to

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

apple maps.... bad?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

corporate cafeterias come in two flavors

aramark
not aramark

if you are in the latter category, you are doing pretty good

in texas the bad cafetria food comes from prince food services in houston. i have eaten at a PFS cafeteria at an AMD site and at a Sematech/ISMI site, it was v bad both times.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
re: aramark i like how on their own web sight they promote discovering plants as a source of food, like it's some foreign non-pouch-based-foodstuff

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
New: tomatoes, green peppers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

SO DEMANDING posted:

i read about palm quite a bit following the gruber post and they really had a high-quality original product. with better marketing they could have gone far

i tracked down rubinstein and apparently hes at amazon now. maybe he can make their hardware not suck

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

poty posted:

i read about palm quite a bit following the gruber post and they really had a high-quality original product. with better marketing they could have gone far
palm was ahead of the game on about three different levels in the early 2000s

the way they poo poo away that lead was truly spectacular

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
if palm’s so smart how come he’s dead?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FMguru posted:

palm was ahead of the game on about three different levels in the early 2000s

the way they poo poo away that lead was truly spectacular

i was talking more about the pre and webos tbh. but yeah palm pilots were ok for the time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

poty posted:

i was talking more about the pre and webos tbh. but yeah palm pilots were ok for the time

palmos was further still ahead of the curve than webos

they just needed to do one of those chimaeric windows 95-style os upgrade efforts (the kind which engineers hate but which works better for app devs and users than the usual "linux with the old os in a strict vm" solution), and keep going on the smartphones, and their advantage would have paid off the first time, not needing to strike on a second good idea in webos

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
PalmOS was literally a clone of the classic Mac OS down to the use of the A-line dispatcher and a midstream switch to RISC with emulation and mixed-mode support

it may have been slightly better in not providing system global state indiscriminately to apps, but it was very much cut from the same mold and likely would’ve needed a similar level of effort as Carbon to come up with an API that would work with more modern underpinnings

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

macos should also have been revised in a much better way, the osx switch was a hugely finicky task because it was so late that they had little choice but to take a very radical approach

apple tried at a resonable time (1988 iirc), but i don't really believe that the failure is a sign that it is not doable, just that they vacillated between too minor updates (what was actually released) and infighting over too unfocused and ambitious projects (pink)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

poty posted:

i read about palm quite a bit following the gruber post they really had a high-quality original product. with better marketing they could have gone far

i tracked down rubinstein and apparently hes at amazon now. maybe he can make their hardware not suck

it was a little more than marketing that killed them...though yeah now i remember they had some weeeiiiird fuckin commercials

being sprint exclusive at first likely did a lot to hamper them. but I suspect that exclusivity deal was necessary to even get on the market in time

looking back, the hardware was too slow and/or webos wasn't well optimized enough. the pixi in particular was just a bad idea and I shouldn't have bought one. absolutely dogshit slow, no wifi so I was stuck with sprint for connectivity (lmao), and the screen was almost but not quite uselessly small. oh yeah and the camera was barely better than what the treos had, took almost as long to launch, too. ugh.

still it was amazing just how much they did get right. but without enough success palm ran out of steam and welp, then HP hosed everything up.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

palmos was further still ahead of the curve than webos

they just needed to do one of those chimaeric windows 95-style os upgrade efforts (the kind which engineers hate but which works better for app devs and users than the usual "linux with the old os in a strict vm" solution), and keep going on the smartphones, and their advantage would have paid off the first time, not needing to strike on a second good idea in webos

lol no, palmos was old as fuckin dirt and had to go. no one, not users or developers, gave a poo poo about palmos apps. the iPhone was out, Android was picking up steam, and even windows mobile had better market share than palm. palmos was in no shape to compete with any of that. beyond just technical issues the company was also in a really hosed up state, Rubinstein and friends practically had to develop webos in secret within palm.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sniep posted:

re: aramark i like how on their own web sight they promote discovering plants as a source of food, like it's some foreign non-pouch-based-foodstuff

I had thought "plant-based" was just code for vegan, but I guess it's not that strict. Still, I think they're trying to say that they'll make vegan/vegetarian options without saying the v-word. It is a pretty generic phrase though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I remember when I had a Blackberry someone showed me some webos device, must’ve been around or before the iPhone launch.

it was really decent, the UI was surprisingly easy to figure out considering I’d never used one before and hadn’t used an iPhone, but every interaction was still far too choppy.

I distinctly remember the Swipe up to show app cards like iPhone X does 10 years later

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Eeyo posted:

I had thought "plant-based" was just code for vegan, but I guess it's not that strict. Still, I think they're trying to say that they'll make vegan/vegetarian options without saying the v-word. It is a pretty generic phrase though.

"plant based" also usually implies fake meat which is coming to the mainstream since real meat is getting more expensive [plus they can sell it as "healthier" even though the macro balance is way more carbs]

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i never really understood the appeal of fake meat

on the other hand i buy soyrizo (lentil and soymeal with chorizo seasoning), so maybe im a hypocrite since that's riffing off something with pork in it, but the appeal to that is the seasonings, not the meat itself :shrug:

i just don't get "vegan bacon" or why veggie patties get dyed and branded "vegan hamburger"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Triglav posted:

i never really understood the appeal of fake meat

on the other hand i buy soyrizo (lentil and soymeal with chorizo seasoning), so maybe im a hypocrite since that's riffing off something with pork in it, but the appeal to that is the seasonings, not the meat itself :shrug:

i just don't get "vegan bacon" or why veggie patties get dyed and branded "vegan hamburger"

its because people like meat so they make things that approximate meat hth

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
principled, but weak

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don't think real meat is actually getting all that much more expensive. beef, yes, but all meat, no

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

macos should also have been revised in a much better way, the osx switch was a hugely finicky task because it was so late that they had little choice but to take a very radical approach

apple tried at a resonable time (1988 iirc), but i don't really believe that the failure is a sign that it is not doable, just that they vacillated between too minor updates (what was actually released) and infighting over too unfocused and ambitious projects (pink)
apple had multiple efforts to update the classic mac os - taligent, pink, copland, gershwin. every single one of them ended up in a project death spiral. meanwhile the classic mac os got more and more obsolete and unstable because it was essentially in maintenance mode while everyone was working on the multiple, conflicting, doomed efforts at building its successor

amelio/spindler/late-sculley era apple was an almost unimaginable shitshow in every possible way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
apple started trying to kill macos in 1988. not 98. eighty-eight.

they spent a long, long time failing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:stare:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
when people talk about palm loving itself to death theyre talking about how it managed to fumble away its almost unimaginable lead in the smartphone race by doing things like splitting itself into two companies (hardware and software), which led to huge delays internally (as the corp reorganzied itself), huge brand confusion, and a collapse in their reputation for quality (shipping palm treo phones running winmo5 will do that). eventually they gave up and merged the two companies again (creating delays and further muddling the brand)

palm also demonstrated the first ever netbook (the foleo) and had a potentially huge advantage in that space (when netbooks were the next big hotness) and then they cancelled it before making any

i will give them credit for realizing that the iphone was a game changer and they needed to radically redo their entire product line to meet it, which was unlike microsoft (ballmer openly laughed at it) or rim (thought it was a gyspy illusion, fought back by shipping the storm), and webos is still being borrowed from for its ui. too bad they were out of money and time and market power to make ir successful (those weird-rear end ads didnt help either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

when people talk about palm loving itself to death theyre talking about how it managed to fumble away its almost unimaginable lead in the smartphone race by doing things like splitting itself into two companies (hardware and software), which led to huge delays internally (as the corp reorganzied itself), huge brand confusion, and a collapse in their reputation for quality (shipping palm treo phones running winmo5 will do that). eventually they gave up and merged the two companies again (creating delays and further muddling the brand)

palm fumbled their os development very badly. the first generation OS had no multitasking or protected memory and was just a loving disaster for 3rd party app authors to use. they worked on a next-generation OS with a real kernel, but couldn't ship working code that would run at a reasonable speed. th writing was on the wall: palmOS in its current state was no longer competitive, but palmOS next generation was never going to ship.

that's how palm/handspring ended up shipping winmo phones: winmo existed and could be shipped. palmOS "cobalt" didn't exist and could not be shipped.

they ended up splitting the hardware and software divisions because the hardware division had a future, and the software division very plainly didn't.

then some idiot decided to use the hardware division to rescue the software division or something, and un-did the only sane thing done in palm's corporate history.

FMguru posted:

i will give them credit for realizing that the iphone was a game changer and they needed to radically redo their entire product line to meet it, which was unlike microsoft (ballmer openly laughed at it) or rim (thought it was a gyspy illusion, fought back by shipping the storm), and webos is still being borrowed from for its ui. too bad they were out of money and time and market power to make ir successful (those weird-rear end ads didnt help either)

they didn't really "realize" anything, so much as they no longer controlled the palm software assets. palmOS "cobalt" and "garnet" and all the related trademarks had been sold to corporate vultures years earlier.

the latter-day palm that made WebOS was essentially a descendant of the hardware division. they had to make WebOS from scratch because they no longer owned any of the prior IP!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 31, 2017