Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Jesus, the other lads in the NRL have a pretty big act of fuckwittery to top.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Give them time

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Allegations at this point but gently caress he's a poo poo human.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How does this match with his NFL career timeline?

Edit: The woman went to the police in April of 2016, and he left mid-May while the police would have been investigating.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 20, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Stats show the woman is more likely to be telling the truth than not

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Also,

smh posted:

Two Australian former NRL players and a New Zealander involved in a dramatic arrest in Sydney's Centennial Park last week have been charged with the supply of almost one tonne of cocaine, carrying an estimated street value of A$360 million (NZ$395m).

Australian Aukuso Junior Paulo, 34, and New Zealander Kigi Kamuta, 39, were two of three men arrested while travelling with two semi-automatic weapons and A$650,000 (NZ$712,000) in cash, during a planned police operation in the eastern suburbs park.

A third man, Royce Royal Hura, 27, was also arrested at the scene. Both Hura and Paulo were former players of the Parramatta Eels rugby league club in the NRL.

I guess that's Joseph Paulo right? The Junior Paulo we know would've been described as current Canberra and Samoa player rather than "former Parramatta". Never heard of Royce Hura.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 20, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Also,

I guess that's Joseph Paulo right? The Junior Paulo we know would've been described as current Canberra and Samoa player rather than "former Parramatta". Never heard of Royce Hura.

Nah, Junior Paulo, who played for the Eels between 07 and 09. He's Joseph Paulo's older brother, but at this stage, it seems like Joe had nothing to do with this.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Jarryd Hayne, a rapist piece of poo poo? But he's a good Christian boy that just got baptised in Jerusalem, he couldn't possibly have done such a thing...

Meanwhile, I don't know why you guys are giving the Roosters such a hard time about their salary cap, they just manage it better than everyone else. They say so themselves here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...219-h07685.html

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Nah, Junior Paulo, who played for the Eels between 07 and 09. He's Joseph Paulo's older brother, but at this stage, it seems like Joe had nothing to do with this.

This is the guy I know as Junior Paulo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Paulo_(rugby_league,_born_1993)

So the drug guy is a different guy to this Junior Paulo and also he is not Joseph Paulo?

edit: yeah that's it, this is the drug dealer Junior Paulo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Paulo_(rugby_league,_born_1983)

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

what is it about american football that makes people so darn rapey?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Boland more like Loland

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Pretty sure i read earlier that police in the states investigated the allegations and charges were dropped.
I think the current thing is the lady sueing Hayne for mental distress or something

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Police didn't lay charges due to insufficient evidence. From the article I read, here , "the suit includes claims of sexual battery, gender violence, infliction of emotional distress and negligence."

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Drint Blasters posted:

Pretty sure i read earlier that police in the states investigated the allegations and charges were dropped.
I think the current thing is the lady sueing Hayne for mental distress or something

There's a lower standard of proof required in civil trials, not unusual at all for it to go down like this in the American system. the OJ Simpson/Nicole Brown murder trial (not guilty) followed by civil trial (liable) is a famous example.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

There's a lower standard of proof required in civil trials, not unusual at all for it to go down like this in the American system. the OJ Simpson/Nicole Brown murder trial (not guilty) followed by civil trial (liable) is a famous example.

That does my head in. How can you be liable if not guilty?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MiniSune posted:

That does my head in. How can you be liable if not guilty?

Because the standard is 50.01% certain as against 100% certain.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Birdstrike posted:

Seems a pretty poo poo idea to me.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

The state has to prove 'beyond reasonable doubt', because the state is very powerful and we decide on innocent until proven guilty etc

In a civil case, the state isn't the party prosecuting, it is one private party v another saying "you caused me damages and should be held financially responsible". To be sucessful in a civil case the plaintiff needs to prove 'on a preponderance of evidence' (the exact requirement varies between countries/juridictions) that the defendant caused the damage.

Basically because the state is very powerful they have a higher burden to reach than a civil case.

Take this with a grain of a salt, while I did pass Law101 at uni it was 10+ years ago and was I think a C+ grade.....

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Smorgasbord posted:

The state has to prove 'beyond reasonable doubt', because the state is very powerful and we decide on innocent until proven guilty etc

In a civil case, the state isn't the party prosecuting, it is one private party v another saying "you caused me damages and should be held financially responsible". To be sucessful in a civil case the plaintiff needs to prove 'on a preponderance of evidence' (the exact requirement varies between countries/juridictions) that the defendant caused the damage.

Basically because the state is very powerful they have a higher burden to reach than a civil case.

Take this with a grain of a salt, while I did pass Law101 at uni it was 10+ years ago and was I think a C+ grade.....

thankyou for re-explaining "balance of probabilities"

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Drint Blasters posted:

oh she watched him play this season too?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

thankyou for re-explaining "balance of probabilities"

To be fair, having watched the NRL refereeing for years I'm still unsure about how evidence is related to outcomes in decisions.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

To be fair, having watched the NRL refereeing for years I'm still unsure about how evidence is related to outcomes in decisions.

if there's evidence the tigers are involved in the play, decide against them

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

if there's evidence the tigers are involved in the play, decide against them

To be fair, you'll get the correct call most of the time doing that

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cross-posting from the rugby union thread:

Former Bronco/Kangaroo/Queensland Maroon and current Queensland Red/Wallaby Karmichael Hunt's been arrested and charged with drug possession in central Brisbane overnight. He's been stood down from all rugby-related activities and will face the magistrate's court on the 29th of January.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I remember when a young Hunt versus young Slater was so fun to watch in Rugby League before he decided to try every single sport imaginable in the pursuit of money, including Aussie Rules, French women and of course the most dangerous game of all: loving Loving Cocaine.

Puckish Rogue fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 31, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

You'd think he would be smart enough to get one of his mates to hold his stash by now

Also I'm putting off writing the new op until the thousands of player movements finish and some new funny scandals surface

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Reminder that this is not the fist time since moving back to Brisbane, after his stint in France.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/hunt-fined-after-pleading-guilty-to-cocaine-possession/6281958

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

iajanus posted:

You'd think he would be smart enough to get one of his mates to hold his stash by now

good one

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
this article on the nrl website is kind of stomach churning:

quote:

Jarryd Hayne means business. Both in his return to the Parramatta Eels and clearing his name amid rape accusations set for a Santa Clara courthouse in April.

When he signed with the Eels just over a month ago, the most common question asked was whether he would be the same player again.

Now there are far more pressing concerns at play, with some wondering if he will ever be the same person again.

Not many would have done what Jarryd Hayne and the Eels orchestrated on the first day of his second coming on Wednesday.

They opened the gates, encouraged media to take footage, and threw him – albeit he was well rehearsed – in front of a large media gathering at the team’s training facility in North Parramatta.

A simple "we have nothing to hide" approach. He wasn’t forced into it either. Quite the contrary, actually. He had to be advised to hold off speaking his mind about the legal battle he faces.

As Hayne "vehemently" denied the allegations, to his left stood his coach.

Brad Arthur, who has put his reputation on the line signing a player others perceived as damaged goods, was blindsided as much as anyone else by the accusations.

But there he was, standing by his player in a show of support that Hayne will be desperate to repay on the football field.

“That was a tough situation to be put in and I didn’t want him to go in alone,” Arthur told NRL.com.

“I wanted him to know that we always go into bat for our players. I did the same for Jarryd as I would have done for any of our players.”

Hayne has a support network that leaves him far better equipped to deal with this situation than he would have been if he was still at the Gold Coast Titans.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/03/parramatta-eels-coach-brad-arthur-stands-by-jarryd-hayne-in-time-of-need/

It reminds of the Onion story about College Basketball Star Heroically Overcomes Tragic Rape He Committed

https://sports.theonion.com/college-basketball-star-heroically-overcomes-tragic-rap-1819594970

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Hayne, he should be deregistered

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

"In this trying time I am glad to report that the (alleged) rapist has a large support network of friends, family and colleagues to help him move on from this tragedy."

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
This is Jarryd Hayne we're talking about, so we know that his side of the story will be made up of the following:

1. She was asking for it.

2. I'm the real victim here.

3. Her lifelong dream was to get a ride on the Hayne Plane, and I was only too happy to help out a fan.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

He may only be an (alleged) rapist at this point but he's definitely a (confirmed) dickhead.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Hahahahahahhaaha

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

He may only be an (alleged) rapist at this point but he's definitely a (confirmed) dickhead.

I mean, it's rugby league, everyone involved, us included, are by default confirmed dickheads. The thread title should just be "Confirmed Dickheads" each year. You don;t even need the rugby league part.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Look if you want to suggest thread titles for the next OP just pm me like normal. And I’ll judge it on the normal criteria. Basically how much it sounds to the rest of the sub forum that we’re sexual deviants.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Look if you want to suggest thread titles for the next OP just pm me like normal. And I’ll judge it on the normal criteria. Basically how much it sounds to the rest of the sub forum that we’re sexual deviants.

Rugby League 2018: XXX days since our last dog molesting scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

An early contender.

• Locked thread