Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also, what's everyone's preferred musical accompaniment to Joan of Arc?

The scores for Jodorowsky's El Topo and The Holy Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also, what's everyone's preferred musical accompaniment to Joan of Arc?

The Star Wars Cantina music on a loop

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
After only ever watching Joan of Arc silent, I think the score comes off as distracting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I keep holding off watching more Brakhage films because they're silent. If I were at least watching in a classroom or something, there'd be the sound of the projector and stuff. While I know the silence was intended by him, I can't help but wonder how much better they would play with a score.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Egbert Souse posted:

I keep holding off watching more Brakhage films because they're silent. If I were at least watching in a classroom or something, there'd be the sound of the projector and stuff. While I know the silence was intended by him, I can't help but wonder how much better they would play with a score.

I put on records when I watch those.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Egbert Souse posted:

Brakhage needs no accompaniment IMO. Sound and music softens the impact of cuts, if that makes any sense, and will hinder your ability to discern how the film is assembled, and so on. But that's just my experience.

e: Once you get used to it, it definitely starts to feel like there's something going on anyway in the part of your mind that you would be using to listen.

e2: hardcore coolkid mode: now go back and watch your favorite movies in absolute silence, and see what new things you can glean from them.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 17, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I sometimes play one of those "10 hours of projector noise" vids when watching pure silent stuff. It's neat.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Back in college a nearby church, every Halloween, would show the silent Phantom of the Opera and the organist would play accompanying music, it was really cool.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I've only seen Joan of Arc with the Visions of Light score and I can't imagine it without that.

:yeah:

Absolutely loving stoked about Criterion finally putting this out, I never got the Masters of Cinema release because of the lack of Richard Einhorn's score. Definitely my favorite film.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Santa brought me Dressed To Kill now we're watching it as the family Christmas movie

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Santa brought me Dressed To Kill now we're watching it as the family Christmas movie

At least it wasn't Salo or Eyes Without a Face.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Saving those for Easter

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Santa brought me Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project Volumes 1 & 2. I haven't seen any films from most of the countries represented in these boxsets so it will be the first time in a long time I'll be able to watch some films without any real expectations beforehand about what they'll be like. I'm pretty excited to dig into them.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'd have preferred to the coal tbh.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've almost bought Salo the last few sales, but I chicken out every time. Though, I definitely have Pasolini's Trilogy of Life on my radar ever since K. Waste's Spoiler Alert featuring The Decameron.

Raxivace posted:

Santa brought me Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project Volumes 1 & 2. I haven't seen any films from most of the countries represented in these boxsets so it will be the first time in a long time I'll be able to watch some films without any real expectations beforehand about what they'll be like. I'm pretty excited to dig into them.

I've been on the fence on those since they're all on Filmstruck. I've only seen Touki-Bouki so far and it was a trip.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 26, 2017

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

At least it wasn't Salo or Eyes Without a Face.

Or "Multiple Maniacs" (especially if you're Catholic).

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Macrame_God posted:

Or "Multiple Maniacs" (especially if you're Catholic).

i saw john waters do stand up last week and he tossed packets of anal bleach into the crowd

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i saw john waters do stand up last week and he tossed packets of anal bleach into the crowd

and i bet your rear end in a top hat looks pretty nice now doesn't it?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

DC Murderverse posted:

and i bet your rear end in a top hat looks pretty nice now doesn't it?

My god, it's full of stars

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

My biggest problem with Dressed to Kill is that it didn't really know how to end. The main twist of the film also didn't really age well, but I think accepting that it's a film from 1980 and recognizing that we have a better mainstream understanding of those things allowed me to see that the film wasn't malicious, just ignorant. When the one woman explains to the teenager about the surgery and all that, it felt like De Palma was trying to show off all of his research, or something. I'm not exactly sure what that scene was for.

It feels like you could cut off most of the final act from that film, and you'd be left with something better. It just felt like it ended and then it kept going.

I don't think I'll ever watch it again. It wasn't bad, and it had its moment, but Blow Out did everything Dressed To Kill did well, except did it so much better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Blind bought Sword of Doom last month and just got around to watching it over the weekend. Beautiful film, I love a samurai film in widescreen. This is one of the better of the subgenre that I've seen that's not directed by Kurosawa. It also has one of the best Mifune sword fights ever, and it'd be easy to miss because he's known so much more for his work with Kurosawa, and overall his part here is small. Kind of a weird ending though, but very thematically appropriate.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cemetry Gator posted:

My biggest problem with Dressed to Kill is that it didn't really know how to end. The main twist of the film also didn't really age well, but I think accepting that it's a film from 1980 and recognizing that we have a better mainstream understanding of those things allowed me to see that the film wasn't malicious, just ignorant. When the one woman explains to the teenager about the surgery and all that, it felt like De Palma was trying to show off all of his research, or something. I'm not exactly sure what that scene was for.

It feels like you could cut off most of the final act from that film, and you'd be left with something better. It just felt like it ended and then it kept going.

I don't think I'll ever watch it again. It wasn't bad, and it had its moment, but Blow Out did everything Dressed To Kill did well, except did it so much better.
I should see Blow Out sometime at least. Even others who, like myself, tend not to like De Palma very say that that one at least holds together.

I understand those arguments about viewing Dressed to Kill in context to an extent, but I feel like even something like Psycho has aged a little better in that regard even if that's not exactly progressive on the subject itself.

Basebf555 posted:

Blind bought Sword of Doom last month and just got around to watching it over the weekend. Beautiful film, I love a samurai film in widescreen. This is one of the better of the subgenre that I've seen that's not directed by Kurosawa. It also has one of the best Mifune sword fights ever, and it'd be easy to miss because he's known so much more for his work with Kurosawa, and overall his part here is small. Kind of a weird ending though, but very thematically appropriate.
IIRC it was supposed to set up an entire trilogy of films that would have featured Mifune's character more in the sequels, but they just fell through for whatever reason.

Still, the ending we got luckily works very well for the story as Nakadai becomes consumed by violence and ends up as doomed by his sword himself as any of his victims do.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
re: Dressed to Kill, De Palma said it was a big homage to Hitchcock and apparently when Hitchcock heard that he said, homage more like fromage to me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

re: Dressed to Kill, De Palma said it was a big homage to Hitchcock and apparently when Hitchcock heard that he said, homage more like fromage to me

“Homage? More like poo poo. You should kill yourself.”

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Touki Bouki was really cool, though I kind of stopped paying attention to the subtitles and just got absorbed by the visuals and music after a while.

“~Paris, Paris~”

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Top 5 samurai film for me, that last fight is fuckin insane. Okamoto is criminally underrated director; his other 2 samurai films Kill! and Samurai Assassin are equally impressive.

Raxivace posted:

Still, the ending we got luckily works very well for the story as Nakadai becomes consumed by violence and ends up as doomed by his sword himself as any of his victims do.

The ending is brilliant. The sudden abrupt ending is like the narrative itself breaks apart in its descent into eternal, nihilistic violence.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I bought Sword of Doom last year but never got around to it. Maybe I’ll take a break from Zatoichi and watch that instead.

I got Le Samuraï, Barry Lyndon, and Don’t Look Now for Christmas. Pretty excited for Le Samuraï, but I’ve never seen the other two either.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Barry Lyndon is fantastic, I wasn't expecting how funny it is

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

business hammocks posted:

“Homage? More like poo poo. You should kill yourself.”

Sir Alfred would never be so crass

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Love "Sword of Doom" (a screenshot from the film is my desktop wallpaper). Have you seen "Harakiri"? Highly recommended.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

zandert33 posted:

Love "Sword of Doom" (a screenshot from the film is my desktop wallpaper). Have you seen "Harakiri"? Highly recommended.

Yea Harakiri is great too, probably a better story all around but the cinematography in Sword of Doom is really eye popping.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UK is getting Yi Yi soon hell yeahhh

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Already see a few definite ones:
The Tree of Life
The Color of Pomegrantes
Bowling for Columbine
The Awful Truth (McCarey)
The Scarlet Empress
The Other Side of Hope

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Possibly a ref there to the Every Frame A Painting folks doing something

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah I think the river is a reference to filmstruck (film truck heh)/streaming - double (feature) friday, moovie (?), feature/short tuesday, every frame a painting, steak camera boat (??)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a series focused on T-Bone Burnett?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally, Friday the 13th: Part V is joining the Criterion Collection.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah I think the river is a reference to filmstruck (film truck heh)/streaming - double (feature) friday, moovie (?), feature/short tuesday, every frame a painting, steak camera boat (??)

A River Runs Through It would be a great Criterion release.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Possibly a ref there to the Every Frame A Painting folks doing something

pretty sure they've done some videos for filmstruck already, not sure which ones though

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

Finally, Friday the 13th: Part V is joining the Criterion Collection.

id be excited if it was part vi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

id be excited if it was part vi
Me too, but the evidence points to Part V. The way the "Friday" is doubled is a hint toward the killer of Part V being a Jason copycat, and Tommy Jarvis himself seeming to become Jason again at the end. The larger V is the roman numeral for the number 5 of course, and what's on the V? A cow, and as we all remember the finale of Friday the 13th: Part V takes place within a barn and barns are where cows live.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 31, 2017