Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is chapter 8 so Zeke is level 68. Has a Luck+30% so he's at....326?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tae posted:

This is chapter 8 so Five is level 68. Has a Luck+30% so he's at....326?

Shitloads more then.
I wonder what level of difference it makes? The answer must be something if you've managed to pull so many rares at once.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ytlaya posted:

Not the "bad guy" part, but the fact that his name makes it very clear that he specifically represents that general concept. Like, he's a dude whose driving motivation is destroying everything, named "destruction." That isn't quite the same thing as just having an obviously negative connotation.

I was reading it like "malOHs." Either way, that's still not the same thing as his name literally being his driving motivation and end goal. I guess the difference I'm getting at is that, rather than just having some connotation, the names are very literal. Like, (minor spoiler related to later character introduced in chapter 3)Mythra's name is literally "light" in the Japanese, rather than something that kinda-sorta has connotations related to that (the connection between Pyra and fire is more clear, at least, but it's still just a connotation).

So you would prefer their names to literally be Destruction and Light? No. That would be super dumb.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Taear posted:

Shitloads more then.
I wonder what level of difference it makes? The answer must be something if you've managed to pull so many rares at once.

I've had around 600 luck on the 5th party member before but I have no idea how much it helped.

Remember that in addition to the +luck and +luck% accessories (which can be used together) some chips give certain blade types +50 luck.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Xenosaga was the first game I did most of and abandoned bc it was just too tiring. I was a young teen and had paid full price with my own money and was going to finish it bc sunk cost etc but in the end I just couldn't

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I really like xenoblade to xenosaga to xenoblade not being a real series. It feels like organic legend the way stuff shows up from one game to another. Like chuchu to Tora is a weird evolution that never would have happened in a normal series.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've had around 600 luck on the 5th party member before but I have no idea how much it helped.

Remember that in addition to the +luck and +luck% accessories (which can be used together) some chips give certain blade types +50 luck.

It's annoying how opaque the game is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Don't forget me that all blades boost a stat of their driver as well. I have two blades that I'm hanging on to because they give Zeke +18% Luck each.

It's not really helping, but it's something I guess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Taear posted:

It's annoying how opaque the game is.

I think I was playing for two weeks before I realized that weapon points lived with the weapon type, not the blade and that they were unique to the type. I had been hoarding them, figuring I'd get a powerful rare blade worth dumping them on.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think I was playing for two weeks before I realized that weapon points lived with the weapon type, not the blade and that they were unique to the type. I had been hoarding them, figuring I'd get a powerful rare blade worth dumping them on.

I constantly forget to upgrade that stuff. The same goes for the character "affinity tree" things. I go to it and find I've got 6000 points to spend.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I spent like 10 hours running around before I remembered Pyra is a separate character when I was going on an upgrade spree.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
This game is such a mixed bag for me. I loved the first one and they at least tried to address some of the criticisms (ie. quests chaining together instead of being all over) but gat dang they fumbled the execution. It ends up just aggravating to collect 10 random bear asses for the NPC to decide they're too lazy to do something else trivial and you gotta go skip travel about for some more rng drops. The new H2H system is cool, the combat is more varied, the world and music are just as good, the story is what I expected but how in the world did they wrap it up in an even more opaque rng fest??

I wanted to do the super bosses but it feels like the grind to get powerful enough will be even more of a slog than xbc1

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's not very much of a grind at all to hit postgame, mostly because all the postgame fights can be trivialized by a big chain attack. the big dinosaurs in temperantia are easy to kill and will give multiple levels per kill until the early 90's. then just make sure you have nia's affinity high, an avante-gard medal on your tank, and turtle your way through all the fights until you have 8 orbs.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I found the postgame challenges in this game vastly more palatable than XC1's. Not having to build around accuracy stuff leaves your approach a lot more open-ended.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Hmm that's good to hear. Is there any tangible character power benefit to maxing dev levels, like how in the first game you had to in order to unlock 4th/5th hidden trees? If I can do post-game bosses without having to hit up the majority of side quests then that's more my jam.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
How do I make healers heal? I have Nia with three heal blades and she's still very inconsistent. I've lost a few fights where I've slowly gotten whittled down without being healed, and I'm not able to craft the arts heal core yet to help mitigate that.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

How do I make healers heal? I have Nia with three heal blades and she's still very inconsistent. I've lost a few fights where I've slowly gotten whittled down without being healed, and I'm not able to craft the arts heal core yet to help mitigate that.

Many healing blades have skills that trigger healing outside of arts, like when doing a special or a blade switch. So make sure to use Nia in your blade combos. Check the affinity chart and tailor your strategy to the blades you have.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Master Stur posted:

Hmm that's good to hear. Is there any tangible character power benefit to maxing dev levels, like how in the first game you had to in order to unlock 4th/5th hidden trees? If I can do post-game bosses without having to hit up the majority of side quests then that's more my jam.

some of the 3* pouch consumables you unlock this way are pretty drat good; i'm especially fond of the +2.0 special/sec instrument from argentium. you can just grind out dev levels by buying cylinders from somewhere you already have 5* and selling them elsewhere--since you're getting them at a 50% discount at 5* you don't lose any money on the transaction.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The strategy for farming core crystals involves using regular cylinders and failing the qte right? Then you kill krabbles or whatever? Is here any specific place that is ideal for this?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can make millions in an hour as early as chapter 5.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

bizarre deformity posted:

The strategy for farming core crystals involves using regular cylinders and failing the qte right? Then you kill krabbles or whatever? Is here any specific place that is ideal for this?

mor ardain, lower level, by the docks. but it's waaay faster to repeatedly driver combo tyrants with a high drop rate, bonus if you can handle it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reiterpallasch posted:

mor ardain, lower level, by the docks. but it's waaay faster to repeatedly driver combo tyrants with a high drop rate, bonus if you can handle it.

Specifically the dock one or the one nearby at Chasnegh Wastes?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bizarre deformity posted:

Specifically the dock one or the one nearby at Chasnegh Wastes?

The dock one

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm incredibly amused that (chapter 8): A gigantic titan battleship area is losing against a tiny warship of 3 people despite a surprise attack.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

I'm incredibly amused that (chapter 8): A gigantic titan battleship area is losing against a tiny warship of 3 people despite a surprise attack.

It makes me wonder what the hell happened in the past if a single battleship/mechon is that durable how the hell did a fleet of them lose to anything?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It makes me wonder what the hell happened in the past if a single battleship/mechon is that durable how the hell did a fleet of them lose to anything?

Because Malos literally disintegrated the fleet from existence. It is shown in a flashback cutscene.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

So you would prefer their names to literally be Destruction and Light? No. That would be super dumb.

Jesus Christ, chill out, I literally made no judgement on either name being better or worse. I just thought it was interesting that one has a different general meaning and is more explicit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I really like how Mythra shouts all of her affinity unlock voice clips for no particular reason

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tutorial in hour 90 lol Christ

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chapter 6 spoilers

I'm so amused that the party murdered innocent chefs and no one cares

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

U-DO Burger posted:

Chapter 6 spoilers

they're still conscious after the fight, I think one of them moans or something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I had to stop for today, thought I could beat the main story but chapter 8 to after an hour long cutscene in the final chapter is too exhausting.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

U-DO Burger posted:

Chapter 6 spoilers

The team set their swords to stun

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ytlaya posted:

Jesus Christ, chill out, I literally made no judgement on either name being better or worse. I just thought it was interesting that one has a different general meaning and is more explicit.

OK from the way you worded your initial statement it sounded like you thought the Japanese names were better because subtlety is bad(?) or something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Started killing the super bosses and while Sea King Ken is annoying to spawn when weather doesn't want to play nice fighting them isn't bad at all. First kill I didn't chain attack until around 20% hp and if you seal blowdown then their annoying juggling move just does low damage over time that Nia easily heals through.

Nia really doesn't seem to like using her fire bitball blade though, despite it being an orb master and a means of getting 3 orbs (fire/water/ice) right off the bat. It's bad enough Tora won't stop using his super murdermode blade, but come on Nia don't you do it too. :argh:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
This is prob the first RPG that’s actually keeping me in just because I enjoy the gameplay

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nia really doesn't seem to like using her fire bitball blade though, despite it being an orb master and a means of getting 3 orbs (fire/water/ice) right off the bat. It's bad enough Tora won't stop using his super murdermode blade, but come on Nia don't you do it too. :argh:

"Poppi QTπ; Laying down the law! :black101:"

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unequip Tora's driver art that inflicts Break. It helps.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I really wish the game had like party AI customization or at least setting priorities for certain blades and arts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If a party member executing some strategy is absolutely essential you could always control them.