Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
these guys are the vultures who ended up with the palmos assets

https://gl.access-company.com/

it appears that they wrote the original browser for palmos, and now they are still selling the browser as a smart tv component long after the death of palmos. kinda funny that the browser would outlive all of its underlying platforms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
WebOS had the foresight to recognize how goddamn annoying push notifications can be an instead relegated them to a little strip likes news ticker at the bottom of the screen. That worked because they keyboard was a separate piece of hardware, but still, it boggles the mind that there haven’t been any meaningful innovations in notification management in years.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Triglav posted:

is that like essential oils

mostly useless but nice to put on a counter? yeah

Sniep posted:

re: aramark i like how on their own web sight they promote discovering plants as a source of food, like it's some foreign non-pouch-based-foodstuff

the best thing aramark did was lease spots in our cafeteria to local restaurants, so we had the best pizza, sushi, etc.

until it was renewal time and some shittier options lowballed to get in the door and now i hear its like several aramarks :rolleyes:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

mostly useless but nice to put on a counter? yeah

the best thing aramark did was lease spots in our cafeteria to local restaurants, so we had the best pizza, sushi, etc.

until it was renewal time and some shittier options lowballed to get in the door and now i hear its like several aramarks :rolleyes:

the saddest thing is pizza and sushi made by aramark

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i once ate in an aramark-operated cafeteria that had a full size brick pizza oven, proudly cranking away at 1500F

they cleaned it with a plastic-bristled push broom. like you use on the floor. while hot. it was not reassuring to see this done in front of me.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i once ate in an aramark-operated cafeteria that had a full size brick pizza oven, proudly cranking away at 1500F

they cleaned it with a plastic-bristled push broom. like you use on the floor. while hot. it was not reassuring to see this done in front of me.

where is the giant :gonk: emoji when you need. god gently caress aaaaaaaaaaaah.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe it was Organic plastic, grass fed

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

FMguru posted:

when people talk about palm loving itself to death

no one talks about your dates

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

palm fumbled their os development very badly. the first generation OS had no multitasking or protected memory and was just a loving disaster for 3rd party app authors to use.

it wasn’t actually a disaster, it was actually really good

but some people think checklist items are more important than either end user usability or developer APIs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

but some people think checklist items are more important than either end user usability or developer APIs

this plus not understanding that revising the stuff into something workable was entirely doable, especially having seen win3 into win95, and then win95 into consumer nt, done. i really think that palm was sunk by listening to engineers going on about clean slates, where a small amount of distaste (preserving limitations apps expected) but very minor effort could have revised the thing into legit dominance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

your phone would routinely crash if you installed third party applications.

receiving a phone call while using the web browser was a pretty good chance at an unexpected reboot.

some of these checklist items really matter

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this plus not understanding that revising the stuff into something workable was entirely doable, especially having seen win3 into win95, and then win95 into consumer nt, done. i really think that palm was sunk by listening to engineers going on about clean slates, where a small amount of distaste (preserving limitations apps expected) but very minor effort could have revised the thing into legit dominance

this is what they attempted with palmOS "cobalt." as with the win16 => win32 transition, each old-school palmOS application would run in its own process with its own copy of the old OS global state, more or less.

palm had a strategy, and it was sound, but they fumbled the execution very badly.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol no, palmos was old as fuckin dirt and had to go. no one, not users or developers, gave a poo poo about palmos apps. the iPhone was out, Android was picking up steam, and even windows mobile had better market share than palm. palmos was in no shape to compete with any of that. beyond just technical issues the company was also in a really hosed up state, Rubinstein and friends practically had to develop webos in secret within palm.

this is a deep misunderstanding of timeline; when the iPhone was out sure; but palmos had ten years to work on revisions before that

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a deep misunderstanding of timeline; when the iPhone was out sure; but palmos had ten years to work on revisions before that

oh.

ok so a bunch of us were talking about the webos period so maybe specify what the gently caress you're talking about??

but yeah palm didn't do a whole hell of a lot with palmos, no disagreement there. their ridiculous splitting of software and hardware couldn't have helped.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

bump_fn posted:

no one talks about your dates

lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
2017 ends with another apple software fuckup coming to light https://siguza.github.io/IOHIDeous/

what a year

here's to 2018

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
developers who think the solution to every problem is a rewrite are the worst

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
posted from something awful titan

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

quote:

After years of legal battles, a pair of brothers — Vincenzo and Giacomo Barbato — have successfully managed to win a legal battle against Apple, earning the right to call their company “Steve Jobs,” after Apple’s iconic founder, according to la Repubblica Napoli.

The fight began back in 2012, when the two brothers noticed that Apple had never trademarked Jobs’ name.
However, the court ruled that the letter “J” isn’t edible and therefore the bite could not be ripping off Apple’s own iconic logo, and upheld the brother’s trademark.

:troll: :italy: :troll: :italy: :troll: :italy: :troll: :italy: :troll:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
if it isnt edible then why is there a bite mark on it?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
apparently the Palm WebOS launch was hosed because Verizon pulled out at the last minute, and Apple would just buy out the whole manufacturing capacity of the supplier of whatever component they were going to use

“Hey Sony we want to use this camera module. it’s really good”
“Sorry Apple bought up literally every one of those”

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

do they not have poetic justice in italy? these guys are really asking to get cancer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

its because people like meat so they make things that approximate meat hth

also because those foods are conviniently packaged

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

that logo sucks poo poo

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

that logo sucks poo poo

italian design do not steal

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jimmy Carter posted:

apparently the Palm WebOS launch was hosed because Verizon pulled out at the last minute, and Apple would just buy out the whole manufacturing capacity of the supplier of whatever component they were going to use

“Hey Sony we want to use this camera module. it’s really good”
“Sorry Apple bought up literally every one of those”

this mucked the touchpad launch cameras etc. too. i think the display was a similar model, somehow being available despite apples attempts to saturate demand with the ipad 2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
nothing was badly fumbled in the webos effort. it just didn't work for exogenous reasons

best laid plans etc

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
there is special support in the apple watch settings app to enable the mickey mouse watch face to proclaim the time in mickey mouse voice when you tap it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
this seems like an accurate metaphor for apple watch as a product if only i could put it down in words cleverly enough

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this seems like an accurate metaphor for apple watch as a product if only i could put it down in words cleverly enough

poo poo sucks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

poo poo sucks, huhu!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
that chart is hell to look at

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Athletic Footjob posted:

that chart is hell to look at

mlyp

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eeyo posted:

I had thought "plant-based" was just code for vegan, but I guess it's not that strict. Still, I think they're trying to say that they'll make vegan/vegetarian options without saying the v-word. It is a pretty generic phrase though.

in addition to trying to avoid the common stigma that a vegetarian diet is a no fun allowed zone, "plant based" is also a term commonly used by dietitians because it more accurately describes how people actually eat (nearly every vegetarian has a meat-containing food that "doesn't count") and things seem to indicate that going fully meat-free is not needed to realize most health benefits.

it also helps mentally prime people to focus on vegetables in a way that cuts meat intake. if you tell people "eat more vegetables" they will do so by adding more vegetables into their diet while keeping everything else the same, but if you tell them to be more "plant based" or use plants as a major part of the main dish they will actually cut meat intake. it is the difference between someone having a 10oz steak but putting a side of broccoli next to it and some sautéed onions and peppers on top of it vs having a stir fry with ~4oz of beef per plate.

people never really fully grow out of the toddler phase where they have to be tricked into trying new foods.

anyway to tie foodchat into tech bubble Facebook has gotten into the fray with their own food delivery platform and are advertising it loving everywhere here. I think we are up to about ten big ones now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
what's worker treatment like these days for people like cantine and catering workers? some contracted stuff with lovely wages and compensation, or did silicon valley get their act together somewhat?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ufarn posted:

or did silicon valley get their act together somewhat?

hahahahahahahahahah

ufarn
May 30, 2009
not by way of choice but shaming and union drives, of course

teamsters seem to have improved conditions for shuttle drivers, but i don't know how catering is handled. not that i've got any high hopes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i can't believe so many people are buying the iphone x. my friend got one and it's a terrible piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
whats so bad about it