Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Arino is not a moron. He is just a regular amount of good at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Acer Pilot posted:

I think you mean a normal amount.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mister Chief posted:

I think you mean a normal amount.

ごめんなさい🙇

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Acer Pilot posted:

Oh I still love the guy, don't get me wrong.

But it's just, 12 years man

you gotta realise there's a phase TWO by now and you don't put the controller down until you ACTUALLY see the end credits...unless it's Donkey Kong Country in which case that was exceptionally hilarious.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Or maybe he does it on purpose because it makes for an entertaining moment on the show?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ponzicar posted:

Or maybe he does it on purpose because it makes for an entertaining moment on the show?

This comes up every now and then: "Does Arino fail intentionally for the sake of entertainment?" Personally, I will say no. I believe his continue misses and failures to recognize boss patterns are 100% honest and thats what makes him so endearing to watch.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
"You know what would be funny? If I intentionally didn't beat this game after 11 hours of filming!!"

- Shinya Arino, shortly before being strangled with dried squid by Kan's hand

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TeaJay posted:

This comes up every now and then: "Does Arino fail intentionally for the sake of entertainment?" Personally, I will say no. I believe his continue misses and failures to recognize boss patterns are 100% honest and thats what makes him so endearing to watch.

A rather dull comment on that is also that it is television and it'd be real bad if he failed to celebrate beating the boss just because he wanted to be sure there weren't another phase. Beating the game without good footage of it would be about as bad as not beating the game ;)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, I super doubt it. Considering how much footage gets left out from repeated failures I don't see why you'd ever throw on purpose. I don't think I'd do much better with a lot of those games under those conditions. Plus, every so often a puzzle game crops up and then Arino suddenly looks really capable at games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Plus, every so often a puzzle game crops up and then Arino suddenly looks really capable at games.

Unless it involves throwing a turtle shell.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Arino knows that if he ever gets to adept at gaming, he will be replaced by Abe.

Abe's Challenge please. :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Arino knows that if he ever gets to adept at gaming, he will be replaced by Abe.

Abe's Challenge please. :(

*holds up popsicle stick with the number 1 on it*

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I really wanna see a special on a DVD or something of Abe challenging a racing game, or doing a co-op game with Arino. River City Ransom or Double Dragon or something like that would be good.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Jamesman posted:

I really wanna see a special on a DVD or something of Abe challenging a racing game, or doing a co-op game with Arino. River City Ransom or Double Dragon or something like that would be good.
I just want more Abe.

Abe is like, the perfect man, he can cook, he draws amazing art, he's got a daughter, he has a dark mysterious past full of recklessness and he can somehow intimidate people in taking over their house whilst in a pink apron.

I love him. :kimchi:

TeaJay posted:

I too also believe his failures are legit, but we wouldn't want to watch someone succeed all the time cuz that would be boring.

Too often I watched an episode thinking "oh I never heard of this game it seems kinda dull", but then around 52 minutes in I'm just SCREAMING with hope in my heart for Chief Arino to win somehow. He's an underdog, a cocky surefire underdog but one nonetheless and I think that's what makes him so endearing to watch.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think Arino plays to the best of his ability, but the show itself definitely pushes for a specific outcome at least occasionally. With some games he receives almost no (on-camera) assistance despite clearly needing it, but with others he gets a ton of help with ADs practically setting him up for a win.

It's generally not that big of a deal though.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Kanfy posted:

I think Arino plays to the best of his ability, but the show itself definitely pushes for a specific outcome at least occasionally. With some games he receives almost no (on-camera) assistance despite clearly needing it, but with others he gets a ton of help with ADs practically setting him up for a win.

I think when it's a super popular game like say, Ocarina of Time, they want to see it through to the end, so they'll give him extensions and assist him (sometimes to an excess) to make the ending happen. They don't care as much with weird obscure titles. This is why I prefer the obscure game challenges. It feels more organic.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

zari-gani posted:

I think when it's a super popular game like say, Ocarina of Time, they want to see it through to the end, so they'll give him extensions and assist him (sometimes to an excess) to make the ending happen. They don't care as much with weird obscure titles. This is why I prefer the obscure game challenges. It feels more organic.

OoT was probably the worst challenge I've watched so far.

*A montage of Arino doing three dungeons*

Challenge Day 2

"Hey Chief we beat most of the game for you so now you just need to fight Ganon without any context."

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jamesman posted:

OoT was probably the worst challenge I've watched so far.

*A montage of Arino doing three dungeons*

Challenge Day 2

"Hey Chief we beat most of the game for you so now you just need to fight Ganon without any context."

I've still never watched that one, since I never actually beat OOT, so I didn't want to get spoiled.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vlaphor posted:

I've still never watched that one, since I never actually beat OOT, so I didn't want to get spoiled.

I'm exaggerating, but with this one and Link to the Past, there was an excessive amount of truncation so you really didn't see much of Arino exploring or solving puzzles. Mostly just cliffnotes for places he went and things he got.

Then for Ocarina of Time, the AD was playing in the off-time to ensure Arino had enough time to get to the ending, so they literally just gave him a briefing of all the poo poo they completed on his behalf. It was just so lame.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
That reminds me of the Mega Man 4 challenge. (My favorite Mega Man game, in fact.) They literally just handed him the ideal boss order. Not nearly as lame or glaring or whatever as OOT, but it still felt so hand-holding. You don't need the boss order in MM4 like you do in the previous games.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

FinalGamer posted:

...and he can somehow intimidate people in taking over their house whilst in a pink apron.

Anyone remember what episode or special this was in? I think it was a sketch about Abe coming over to Nakayama's (?) to drink beer and cook dinner.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Un prophète!

Celebrate the 2018 New Year in 2017 by watching some guys celebrate the 2017 New Year in 2016, and have a revenge match against Kiki Kaikai.

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofed by Hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/992474

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's amazing how right they were, like they had no idea.

Thanks for the new sub, guys! :toot:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

univbee posted:

Un prophète!

Celebrate the 2018 New Year in 2017 by watching some guys celebrate the 2017 New Year in 2016, and have a revenge match against Kiki Kaikai.

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofed by Hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/992474

Just wanted to note that we snipped off the last half of this special, because it was them just looking back at the year (as in, mostly stuff we haven't gotten around to subbing yet).

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

jyrque posted:

Anyone remember what episode or special this was in? I think it was a sketch about Abe coming over to Nakayama's (?) to drink beer and cook dinner.
It was the first 24-hour Lemmings episode in Season 11, Abe was making Arino a meal to keep his endurance going and just basically took over Nakayama's house. I forget if it was in the main episode or in the Specials compilation though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

FinalGamer posted:

It was the first 24-hour Lemmings episode in Season 11, Abe was making Arino a meal to keep his endurance going and just basically took over Nakayama's house. I forget if it was in the main episode or in the Specials compilation though.

Thanks! :buddy: There's so much good stuff unrelated to game challenges it's hard to keep track of it all.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I love the New Year Specials they do! I bet you are saving the special where they play Zelda 2 until the regular episode gets subbed first. The Zelda 2 episode is definitely on my most wanted list. What is planned for this New Year's special?

Regarding Pokemon: I love how they ordered the pokemon list in the same order as the pokerap song. I was one of those geeky kids who had the pokerap song memorized perfectly. That was an odd flashback to my youth to see on the show.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 1, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

joek0 posted:

What is planned for this New Year's special?
I don't know, but I just noticed it on YouTube if you're interested (and don't mind it being untranslated)!

https://youtu.be/FiTZRJPh9B8

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

I don't know, but I just noticed it on YouTube if you're interested (and don't mind it being untranslated)!

https://youtu.be/FiTZRJPh9B8

Thanks! I love ringing in the New Year with Arino!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

joek0 posted:

I love the New Year Specials they do! I bet you are saving the special where they play Zelda 2 until the regular episode gets subbed first. The Zelda 2 episode is definitely on my most wanted list. What is planned for this New Year's special?

Regarding Pokemon: I love how they ordered the pokemon list in the same order as the pokerap song. I was one of those geeky kids who had the pokerap song memorized perfectly. That was an odd flashback to my youth to see on the show.
Oh my god they did?

Just one more reason why Pokemon is my favourite episode of GCCX right next to Tajiri-san's utterly adorkable everything. :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

joek0 posted:

That was me, actually. All of the pokemon are there in the game order, but not wanting to fill the screen I wanted a way to immediately convey that all the pokemon were there and I thought that was a fun, albeit silly, way to do that.

Japan actually had their own version of the pokerap. I don't think it came up with Arino was playing, though. Edit: just to show you how universal those things are, my Japanese teacher performed it for us in class. Goofy songs from kids cartoons becoming trapped in your brain forever is something everyone can bond over.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 1, 2018

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

That was me, actually. All of the pokemon are there in the game order, but not wanting to fill the screen I wanted a way to immediately convey that all the pokemon were there and I thought that was a fun, albeit silly, way to do that.

Japan actually had their own version of the pokerap. I don't think it came up with Arino was playing, though.

Still a nice touch in the episode! Sent me on a Pokemon nostalgic trip RandomStranger.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joek0 posted:

What is planned for this New Year's special?

They had memories from the staff over the last fifteen years read out loud, and announced the Game Center CX museum will be opened at HMV Books in Shibuya in March, before touring the major cities in Japan (nagoya, Senda, and TBA.)
It'll feature an "AD's POV VR display" as well.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 1, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

It'll feature an "AD's POV VR display" as well.

This will just be a blurry image of Arino failing some easy part of a game over and over again representing watching this through their tears.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
oh god the noise in this game.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
How is Abe looking younger each year? Is he Benimaru Button or somethin?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Abe's got that inside line on the Araki/Gackt secret supernatural goodness~

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jakespeare posted:

How is Abe looking younger each year? Is he Benimaru Button or somethin?

There's a motorcycle in his garage that keeps looking older and older.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I've translated four episodes in the last week, and I'm working on a fifth before it's back to work for me.

I'll be at MAGFest again in a few days, selling stuff at the Fangamer booth. We're bringing "Stuck in a Game" if anyone here is attending and wants to get a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

I've translated four episodes in the last week, and I'm working on a fifth before it's back to work for me.

I'll be at MAGFest again in a few days, selling stuff at the Fangamer booth. We're bringing "Stuck in a Game" if anyone here is attending and wants to get a copy.

Looking forward to them. I got a copy of that book a little while back and I thought it was fantastic, both art and story.