Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He didn't burn to death. He just got sad about herpes and everybody hating him for spreading it, went to sleep on the floor, and his rear end caught fire. Didn't kill him.

what a comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Considering it's aping an actual children's book series, wouldn't an Adult Swim cartoon of MM&O be saddled with countless legal issues? You'd not only need to secure the rights to the characters, but the author would have to agree to have... that... done to their characters.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BioEnchanted posted:

Considering it's aping an actual children's book series, wouldn't an Adult Swim cartoon of MM&O be saddled with countless legal issues? You'd not only need to secure the rights to the characters, but the author would have to agree to have... that... done to their characters.

The one about Owl's birthday follows the same beats with the children's book. Only in the book Meg and Mog throw a surprise party for Owl, who thought they'd forgotten about his birthday. Instead of rape.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BioEnchanted posted:

The illustrator of the children's books is still alive but the author died in 2012 so they'd have to deal with her estate if there were any issues over rights and that's usually a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Hi yeah is this the Nicoll estate? Yeah this is Adult Swim, we are interested in purchasing the license for your books so that we can animate them? Yeah brilliant, we think it's a great idea too, there are just a few small changes we want to make to the plots.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBBwmytVYY

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BioEnchanted posted:

Parofies and satire fall under Fair Use biittc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Parofies and satire fall under Fair Use biittc

MM&O isn't a comedy, it's autobiographical.

quote:

Hanselmann says that reading comics was the one thing that kept him sane during a lonely childhood in Launceston; he began drawing his own comics at age 8. His father, a biker, abandoned his mother early on, leaving her to support young Simon and her heroin addiction on her own. She worked three jobs, “kept me away from the junkie squalor mostly,” Hanselmann says, but he was often subjected to horrific scenes regardless.

“Friends of hers used to shoot up methadone mixed with orange juice,” Hanselmann recalls. “This one guy was like, ‘Oh, wow! I found some orange-juice methadone! It’s only been behind the heater for six months! I gotta shoot it into my eyeballs because all my other veins collapsed!’ I was just like, ‘Jesus, you guys are hosed!’ ”

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He didn't burn to death. He just got sad about herpes and everybody hating him for spreading it, went to sleep on the floor, and his rear end caught fire. Didn't kill him.

same

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MM&O isn't a comedy, it's autobiographical.

Jesus christ

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I don't think Werewolf Jones is a very good father.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yoshi Wins posted:

I don't think Werewolf Jones is a very good father.

WWJ isnt a good anything except a laugh

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

How do you actually get ahold of the comics? There's like 3 books, and some stuff on Vice but I can't seem to find any newer stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rigged Death Trap posted:

WWJ isnt a good anything except a laugh

WWJ is awesome at livening up a dull party

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701090&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post465092200
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701090&pagenumber=154&perpage=40#post465172165

A Proper Uppercut posted:

How do you actually get ahold of the comics? There's like 3 books, and some stuff on Vice but I can't seem to find any newer stuff.
People put scans online. I guess that's :filez: but good luck finding them any other way!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Simon Hanselmann tweets that they got a new comic coming out and there's only five left and you jump on it. I don't know any other way.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Are we as a forum still pretending we don't all constantly pirate stuff?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

It's even actively ignored in some threads. The Android gaming thread will occasionally have someone discover DS emulation and it goes to pages about talking about pirating games.

Meanwhile I got a probation for asking about a save to a ds game I had actually legally backed up :shrug:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Thank you.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Do we constantly pirate stuff? I pay actual money for my comics, having ended my USENET sub and uninstalled BT as soon as I could afford to pay.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Nah just Cinema Discusso :v:

This entire thread is pretty much just the same dozen regulars swiping comic strips from around the 'net, we almost always repost them without linking back to the creator's original site or even crediting the creators in most cases. That's what this thread is for. But that's mostly stuff that the creators at least put onto the 'net themselves in the first place.

Posting scans of comics that the creators specifically didn't put on the 'net feels different but in cases like this it's pretty much the only way some of us get to read them at all.

Loucks posted:

I pay actual money for my comics, having ended my USENET sub and uninstalled BT as soon as I could afford to pay.

I'm not familiar with that, does it have Simon Hanselmann's limited run smallpress comics? That's where a lot of these rarer Megg, Mogg And Owl strips come from.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I'm not familiar with that, does it have Simon Hanselmann's limited run smallpress comics? That's where a lot of these rarer Megg, Mogg And Owl strips come from.

Seems a better business model would be to host all the images on a website and set up a Pateron or Honor system with payments.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They misspelled disappointment in that ww Jones comic. Pass.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ONE oval office WOLF PACK posted:

idgi but also don’t know anything about Steven universe

I didn't either, but now we both do. According to the MM&O strip it's a popular childrens cartoon about lesbian superhero drama or something that unstable adults totally obsess over on the internet and draw erotic fanart and jack off wildly and threaten to rape the staff and kill themselves because one of the characters blah blah on Deviantart blah blah because gay blah blah.

So I skimmed the Wikipedia article and they're anthropomorphic gemstones not superheroes but otherwise that seems to sum up Stephen Universe pretty well.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Syd Midnight posted:

I didn't either, but now we both do. According to the MM&O strip it's a popular childrens cartoon about lesbian superhero drama or something that unstable adults totally obsess over on the internet and draw erotic fanart and jack off wildly and threaten to rape the staff and kill themselves because one of the characters blah blah on Deviantart blah blah because gay blah blah.

So I skimmed the Wikipedia article and they're anthropomorphic gemstones not superheroes but otherwise that seems to sum up Stephen Universe pretty well.

It's a kids show that adults can also enjoy but yeah like with MLP there is a contingent of really creepy adults who obsess over it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Syd Midnight posted:

Also the bit where Tumblr people got EXTREMELY ANGRY over fan art which drew one specific character too thin and bullied the artist to the point of attempted suicide is based on reality.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the "deviant art user draws fan art of the character as too thin and gets death threats from the rabid community" was a thing though. i think it popped up in the aug thread or something. gotta say, though, it's quite the revelation finding out WWJ was the artist in question.

edit: ah gently caress beaten ^^^^

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Syd Midnight posted:

I was going to defend Steven Universe but then I realized that MM&O actually got it pretty drat spot on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Johnny Aztec posted:

Seems a better business model would be to host all the images on a website and set up a Pateron or Honor system with payments.

Simon Hanselmann started drawing comics way back in the pre-internet days and I get the impression that he's a dyed-in-the-wool small press publisher who is way more invested in "zine culture" than establishing an online fanbase. Also the whole endeavour really feels more like a form of psychological catharsis rather than a business model.

Slime posted:

I was going to defend Steven Universe but then I realized that MM&O actually got it pretty drat spot on.

We really should stop talking about SU otherwise we'll attract some SU fans to the thread and we don't want that

Edit: OH GODDAMIT
vvvv

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

It's actually really great? It's simple and engaging enough for kids to dig it, but also subtly deprograms cultural gender norms (the male protagonist has abilities and traits typically only associated with female characters in fiction, a number of characters are explicitly genderless, several other ways in which the writers go out of their way to subtly present an alternative to the typical boys-like-trucks-and-girls-like-ponies thing), but in a way that you can ignore if you don't care about it.

Also, one of the characters is voiced by the amazing musician Estelle.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Actually the incident was people who had a personal beef with the artist (apparently the artist was dating their ex or something?) made a blog going through all of the artist's fanart from various fandoms (Homestuck, Dangan Ronpa, SU, etc), but for some reason people only remember the SU stuff

still hosed up

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PopeCrunch posted:

It's actually really great? It's simple and engaging enough for kids to dig it, but also subtly deprograms cultural gender norms (the male protagonist has abilities and traits typically only associated with female characters in fiction, a number of characters are explicitly genderless, several other ways in which the writers go out of their way to subtly present an alternative to the typical boys-like-trucks-and-girls-like-ponies thing), but in a way that you can ignore if you don't care about it.

lol

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

PopeCrunch posted:

It's actually really great?

Oh my god stop talking like this

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lol rabid fans of anything will always ruin it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
there's this great quote from the forums that for some reason i can't find, but i think about all the time. it goes something like this:

quote:

baby: goo goo ga ga
goon: see, THIS is the kind of lovely fan that makes normal people who watch the teletubbies look bad

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

when you post loads of images timg them or throw them in an imgur album please

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Simon Hanselmann started drawing comics way back in the pre-internet days and I get the impression that he's a dyed-in-the-wool small press publisher who is way more invested in "zine culture" than establishing an online fanbase. Also the whole endeavour really feels more like a form of psychological catharsis rather than a business model.

Well let's hope then that he doesn't discover this thread full of goons talking poo poo about his zine comic, as he's already shown what he's willing to do in those circumstances...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

EmmyOk posted:

when you post loads of images timg them or throw them in an imgur album please

What if I love huge loads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

PopeCrunch posted:

Shut up idiot