Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cosmically_cosmic posted:

USS Fatt Damon

I really, REALLY think they should have just had him use his CTO level access to make a scan/copy of his victims brain/avatar/RSI while they're logged into infinity. It would explain the memories being there too, if its a copy from their most recent log-in. They set him up as a genius coder who knows the tech better than anyone, so it would be less of a stretch to me than him having a DNA coding machine that somehow copies your memories.

If you're wondering how he gets memories from dna
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Why is everyone getting wrapped up in the concept of eternity in Callister? Eventually Fat Damon will die, he's not in there as DNA code like everyone else and the rest of the crew aren't going to be around forever, the game will be shut down eventually.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cosmically_cosmic posted:

USS Fatt Damon

I really, REALLY think they should have just had him use his CTO level access to make a scan/copy of his victims brain/avatar/RSI while they're logged into infinity. It would explain the memories being there too, if its a copy from their most recent log-in. They set him up as a genius coder who knows the tech better than anyone, so it would be less of a stretch to me than him having a DNA coding machine that somehow copies your memories.

Maybe the cloning machine is just a prop that he uses for some reason to help confuse the replicas or indulge in his creepy fantasy or something? Like, you know, it's the equivalent of a glowy box that doesn't actually do anything in a magic trick. I guess that's what I'll tell myself to make the episode feel less stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fans posted:

The episode is about Black Mirror the actual show, which is why it’s called the Black Museum and has all the previous episodes of the show in it. It is a metaphor.

How is that specific episode about Black Mirror the show? It doesn't seem any different from any other episode, it just happens to have more links to other episodes. All the episodes have hidden links to the others, this one happens to have a lot. Me saying it makes the stories exist in the same universe isn't any more wrong than you randomly saying Black Museum is somehow a metaphor for the show it exists in. It's an episode about a crime museum. Someone already mentioned that "black museum" is a British term for a crime museum. The objects from other episodes that were focused on in this episode were related to crimes that were committed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Because the ultimate message is about being responsible In The stories you tell and not just peddling tech horror to give cheap kicks to creeps?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doltos posted:

I defend Fatt Damon and his right to abuse his digital crew. I see no difference between what he did and what we all did to our Sims growing up.

Doltos posted:

It means not everyone thinks the shows are completely cut and dry. Some villains can have sympathetic parts else they wouldn't be believable.

This guy's defense of "it's okay to abuse sentient digital copies, it's totally fine" was "Looks like someone doesn't understand a little thing called nuance!." Hanging out in your programmed torture world where you inflict And I Must Scream level punishments on your co-workers is fine, just normal, and if you disagree with that, my friend, then you must see everything in black and white and/or not understand that some villains are written sympathetically.

When you condone torture, it's not the other person who missed the point :ssh:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They absolutely went out of the way to point out that things are connected this time, it went beyond just easter eggs. You can see a progression of the consciousness transfer tech that is used in multiple episodes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Fat Damon" is getting really old

the preferred nomenclature is "philip seymour meth-head", donny

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

This guy's defense of "it's okay to abuse sentient digital copies, it's totally fine" was "Looks like someone doesn't understand a little thing called nuance!." Hanging out in your programmed torture world where you inflict And I Must Scream level punishments on your co-workers is fine, just normal, and if you disagree with that, my friend, then you must see everything in black and white and/or not understand that some villains are written sympathetically.

they made it clear it's illegal, therefor wrong.

when you insist on having society's laws override individual morality, you can't complain when people do things that aren't illegal

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

when you insist on having society's laws override individual morality, you can't complain when people do things that aren't illegal

You can believe both that society is better off with structure and laws and that sometimes there are unjust laws or the legal system has not caught up with technology, and that people who exploit that are immoral and deserve both condemnation and complaint. Don't be intentionally obtuse.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bicyclops posted:

Yep you're definitely trying too hard.

Thursday Next posted:

Arkangel
This one wasn't very powerful for me. I felt like Mom escalated way too quickly. She turned off the monitor for, what, like ten years? So she clearly wasn't totally overprotective the whole time. To go from that to grinding up a morning-after pill in a smoothie in under a day just felt weird. I get that she was screwed up by seeing her kid fuckin' (I think anyone would be on tilt after that, to say the least). But the escalation felt too fast, for little payoff. The tech was obvious from the get-go here, too.

The mom went from 0 to 60 because she's a single mother. She saw single motherhood impending for her daughter and it triggered all the issues again

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of abusing digital forms in USS Callister:

Around 7:25, a figurine of Zetton appears in Daly's collection. In fact, the camera takes pains to focus on Zetton and some troll for at least a few seconds. Zetton is the final kaiju in the original Ultraman series; it also happens to be the only monster he was unable to defeat in the original series.

I guess it's meant as foreshadowing of the primary character's eventual defeat?

Also not very respectful as neither Zetton's name, nor Tsuburaya Productions, the creators of the Ultraman series are even acknowledged in the credits. :colbert:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I hated Hang the DJ enough to just wikipedia the plot half way through and just skip to the end. What if San Junipero but backwards. What if Be Right Back but both are dating profiles instead of just one. No thanks.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

You can believe both that society is better off with structure and laws and that sometimes there are unjust laws or the legal system has not caught up with technology, and that people who exploit that are immoral and deserve both condemnation and complaint. Don't be intentionally obtuse.

sometimes laws mean things that should be ok aren't (like peacefully smoking a joint)

sometimes laws mean things that you don't like happen

it's incredibly hypocritical to create a monopoly on violence, hand that monopoly to police who abuse it thoroughly, then take issue with people who haven't even violated the non aggression principle - maybe they'd have found something more to your liking to occupy their time, if you hadn't insisted on dictating to them.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The one little thing I liked in Callister was when on ‘pause’ you see the creature gesturing casually in the background while she catches up with the crew members, like shrugging and crossing her claws I thought that was a fun touch.

Though, I had one question regarding the ‘villain’ I know you see him in the real world office, but I don’t remember if they mentioned his position in the office or what he did to piss Daly off

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Callister - I don’t think it’s hard to imagine that he took issue with the guy being a bro. Probably imagined a slight and is already jealous of the guy for being in good shape, so into the infinity torture box with him.

I loved how Captain Daly’s outfit was a blend of the Kelvin-timeline original series uniform texture and the TNG Captain’s Jacket from season 5 onward. They did a bang up job on all the costumes. I also loved the tiny details like what you mentioned with Jillian, and when the other crewman gets monsterized, she bumps her head on the doorway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Though, I had one question regarding the ‘villain’ I know you see him in the real world office, but I don’t remember if they mentioned his position in the office or what he did to piss Daly off

Wasn't he the brogrammer whose gym bag the main character trips over at the beginning?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Binged Arkangel/Crocodile/Metalhead/Black Museum to end the season.

Arkangel was fine. Someone posted "this lady just cannot stop killing" for Crocodile and that's a perfect summary.

Metalhead was amazing. I feel like people hate it cause they just want depression but I had the time of my life. The moment the dog grabbed the knife until the end I was cracking up.

Black Museum sucked; the main guy was awful to listen to. :lol: at the horny masochist doctor being your credit on your imDb page.

S4 Ranking:

Metalhead
Callister
Hang the DJ
Arkangel
Crocodile
Black Museum

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shneak posted:

Metalhead was amazing. I feel like people hate it cause they just want depression but I had the time of my life. The moment the dog grabbed the knife until the end I was cracking up.

This isn't how I feel about Metalhead, but it is how I feel about Crocodile.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like DJ and Callister. I will never see the others again.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

withak posted:

Wasn't he the brogrammer whose gym bag the main character trips over at the beginning?

If he followed the fire code he wouldn’t be in this predicament :colbert:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

21 Muns posted:

This isn't how I feel about Metalhead, but it is how I feel about Crocodile.

Okay, yeah, I laughed at her bawling her eyes out at the musical and the baby being blind because of course. Peak bleakness.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shneak posted:

Okay, yeah, I laughed at her bawling her eyes out at the musical and the baby being blind because of course. Peak bleakness.

The whole episode was like that for me. I was just laughing increasingly hard as the episode progressed, it's like a classic comedy of errors. I'd be surprised if that wasn't what they were going for. It didn't take me out of the episode at all or make it feel implausible, though, which I imagine is why others disliked the episode; there are a lot of criminals who gently caress up colossally and hilariously in real life, so I can totally buy this happening.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Finished the season! As expected, kind of a mixed bag but this season felt a bit undercooked compared to the previous ones. I think Charlie Brooker needs to take a backseat and let other people write the scripts from now on; he's been recycling ideas hard this season.

USS Callister - The clear standout from this season and conveniently the only episode not solely written by Brooker. It's disappointing that BM reused the "cookies" so often this season but I thought this one had a pretty great twist on the concept by having the AIs successfully revolt against their creator. This episode does a really good job of satirizing Star Trek, playing it straight, and also being a Black Mirror episode all at the same time. The happy ending feels a little bit contrived at points, but it's satisfying and well-earned so I don't mind.

Arkangel - Not bad, but this one shows its hand pretty early on and doesn't really go anywhere unexpected from there. I wish there was more of a focus on how something like the parental control system would gently caress up the child's development instead of just immediately skipping ahead to the girl's rebellious teen phase.

Crocodile - This is the dumbest episode of Black Mirror to date and that's really saying something. It reminds me of Shut Up and Dance in that the absurdity of the premise just keeps building and building and it's impossible to take any of the shock value or attempts at pathos seriously by the end of it, to the point where this episode felt like a parody of Black Mirror. It's a shame too, because the memory device and insurance agency stuff was cool and deserved to be at the forefront of a better episode.

Hang the DJ - I really liked this one and I don't know why the ending is so polarizing to people. I thought the ending twist was pretty predictable but I thought this was a great companion episode to San Junipero. The ending is a bit more bittersweet but I'd still consider it a happy one.

Metalhead - Kind of torn on this one. I think it's extremely effective as a simple genre exercise, but it feels too one-dimensional as an episode of Black Mirror. I'm not sure if the planned reveal that the dogs were human-controlled would have worked or not, but I feel like the episode needed some kind of twist more substantial than what we got. The episode vaguely hints at some backstory for the setting and characters but there's not enough to get any meaningful message out the story beyond "drones are bad".

Black Museum - I'm surprised that this one has gotten a lukewarm reception, I thought this was a great episode even if it doesn't really come close to White Christmas. The whole monkey segment is one of the most darkly hilarious moments on the show so far and the ending was really cathartic, even if it kind of runs counter to the show's general "torture is bad" stance. This is the only episode of the season where the constant callbacks to previous episodes actually worked for me; I would be satisfied if this were the final episode of the show.

Overall rankings: 1 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 5 > 3

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Metalhead just seemed so pointless. They send three people out to get killed over a loving teddy bear? I though Crocodile was bad, but Metalhead was the worst episode of the season. Maybe the whole series.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Metalhead just seemed so pointless. They send three people out to get killed over a loving teddy bear? I though Crocodile was bad, but Metalhead was the worst episode of the season. Maybe the whole series.

So many people say poo poo like this, and it only makes sense to me if you're trying to pretend that they actually expected the dog to show up.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

21 Muns posted:

So many people say poo poo like this, and it only makes sense to me if you're trying to pretend that they actually expected the dog to show up.

Maybe people were trapped in the bears ala Black Museum

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Lol at anonymous white dudes on the internet complaining that a woman can never kill a man

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

21 Muns posted:

I don't have to pretend. They were sneaking around like there could be a dog there. They even told the guy in the van to run if anything went down. I didn't know about the dogs yet, but i knew they were hiding from something. Are you seriously suggesting that they were doing a fun time adventure to go get some teddy bears without knowing there could be dogs there?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The divide I'm seeing in the reaction to Metalhead is:

If you assume the dogs are the ubiquitous cause of the apocalyptic setting, then you will naturally think the protagonist and her companions are idiots for ever venturing anywhere.

If you assume the dogs are just one, relatively uncommon aspect of this world that went to poo poo in some tangential/unrelated way, then doing some scavenging is still risky but not brain-dead unreasonable.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I liked that arkangel was directed by Jodie Foster, and then the kids play at the end of Crocodile was Bugsy Malone.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Supercar Gautier posted:

The divide I'm seeing in the reaction to Metalhead is:

If you assume the dogs are the ubiquitous cause of the apocalyptic setting, then you will naturally think the protagonist and her companions are idiots for ever venturing anywhere.

If you assume the dogs are just one, relatively uncommon aspect of this world that went to poo poo in some tangential/unrelated way, then doing some scavenging is still risky but not brain-dead unreasonable.

I assume that the dogs were only put in to make the show Black Mirroresque and could have been replaced by a scary monster and it would have been the same. The episode was pretty much purely about the teddy bear reveal and was just a lovely, poorly written episode.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Metalhead was an amazing demo reel for whoever did the special effects for the dogs. Whatever else it accomplishes is hard to say.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Doltos posted:

I assume that the dogs were only put in to make the show Black Mirroresque and could have been replaced by a scary monster and it would have been the same. The episode was pretty much purely about the teddy bear reveal and was just a lovely, poorly written episode.

maybe the teddies had trapped consciousnesses like in Black Museum?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think the point of the teddy bear reveal was to emphasize how senseless the killing was. Them trying to stealing anything else, even bread, and their death could have been construed as justified by a lot of deranged people. Like, a cop shooting someone during a robbery goes over much better with the public than him just murdering some random person in the street. Unlike food or medicine, these teddies have no value in that post-apocalyptic world and there is absolutely no reason to murder someone for trying to take one. But that's not a distinction that a killer drone could ever make.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Retardog posted:

Callister - I don’t think it’s hard to imagine that he took issue with the guy being a bro. Probably imagined a slight and is already jealous of the guy for being in good shape, so into the infinity torture box with him.

That what I took from it, Daly really was the weirdo that Cole should avoid, that's why she was warned about him and Jimmi Simpson and the rest of the staff brought her into their circle, because he's a creep with mega hangups and delusions.

Edit: I forgot about the gym bag. gently caress that chad for going to the gym! :mad: Torture Sandbox for you!

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 1, 2018

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HorseRenoir posted:

Black Museum - I'm surprised that this one has gotten a lukewarm reception, I thought this was a great episode even if it doesn't really come close to White Christmas. The whole monkey segment is one of the most darkly hilarious moments on the show so far and the ending was really cathartic, even if it kind of runs counter to the show's general "torture is bad" stance. This is the only episode of the season where the constant callbacks to previous episodes actually worked for me; I would be satisfied if this were the final episode of the show.

It isn't that it just rode White Christmas coattails, it just didn't real add anything while feeling if anything silly. Torture doc was of funny at times, was totally a b-plot idea sort of shoved into this. The monkey idea could have been more interesting, but it takes more of a leap to believe. Cookies and DNA copies as silly as they are at least leave gray area where I can see people being people and exploiting them. A direct conscious transfer, I don't know, I don't see that going on without some really massive loving rules. Not to mention it sort of goes on the premise that everyone is loving sadistic and wouldn't just put the poor woman out of her misery than locking her in a toy for eternity. The final bit was just a little silly too and really did feel like another white christmas torture the sims bit, but idk rear end in a top hat is supposed to deserve some torture too I guess. Meh.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really wish that they would stop using "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)". It's like Rains of Castamere, it's a good song but the way it's constantly used make it seems like it's the only song in the world.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doltos posted:

Yep you're definitely trying too hard.

I'm "trying too hard" but I'm not assessing the piece enough to understand its subtlety.

-the guy who defends the torturing antagonist's right to torture people, and thinks that is what makes him understand the work better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I only have one thing to say to this thread.

Monkey loves you!