Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
That just means I'm always playing Nia, because switching between blades for continuous healing is way strong and the AI doesn't know how to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nina posted:

That just means I'm always playing Nia, because switching between blades for continuous healing is way strong and the AI doesn't know how to do it

Just stick a Bitball-using Blade on Rex and swap to it when you need that immediate heal.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tae posted:

You can make millions in an hour as early as chapter 5.
Is there a specific best salvaging point/cylinder/time of day for this?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pierson posted:

Is there a specific best salvaging point/cylinder/time of day for this?

You want the Mor Ardain port. Golden Cylinders are best, but Silver will do until you get the development level up and can afford Gold.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Angamham Dock one with the A > A > A inputs? I think the chalices from that single-handedly got Ardain from 1 to 5 in like ten cylinders. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I refuse to let this game beat me so I'm going to finish the rare blade sidequests (within reason), get Poppi all kitted up, and kill some of the post-game bosses and unique monsters. I'm also going to test the "more luck means better pulls from cores" theory by loading Four and Five up with luck, and see if I get any rares this time.

I really wish they had a mass dismissal function. I understand that it's contrary to the game's idea of Blades being people and not tools, but I just have way too many useless assholes on my team. I have become what I hate. :shepicide:

What's my best bet if I wanna farm up legendary cores?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 1, 2018

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
smash dinosaur

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Tranquility: I feel the drama and pathos of Mabon's passing is somewhat ruined when the jaunty Torigoth music immediately begins to play before you've so much as checked on Vess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

which

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pierson posted:

Tranquility: I feel the drama and pathos of Mabon's passing is somewhat ruined when the jaunty Torigoth music immediately begins to play before you've so much as checked on Vess.

lol I had the same thought when that happened to me

Is there a good way to help the second tank keep aggro? Because man am I pulling a ton of it now. I know that's partially because my auto-attack damage on Mythra is a lot higher but it's also probably because I can just keep chaining arts as well. Or should I just put Tora back on tank duty and fill the poppis with aggro boost parts?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Poppi QTπ; Laying down the law! :black101:"

After murdering Ken I gave her the chip it dropped and she has a bit over 1k attack power now. Even Zenobia on Rex doesn't have that much attack yet. :hellyeah:

Sadie drops them but the easiest enemy to farm for legendary cores is the unique you unlock doing the dragon's stomach quest in Uraya. It's only in the 60s so for a high level party it's not much of a threat. Put some Gold Chips on your blades (it can drop gold chips too, iirc) and give nia/tora the beta scope to lower break resists. Then give Rex an overclock bangle and you'll be doing topple/launch/smash combos with him constantly. You should average a couple legendary (and lots of rare) cores per kill.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I want to find each and every developer that thought these early boss fights in Chapter 10 was a good idea and punch them in the face.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

After murdering Ken I gave her the chip it dropped and she has a bit over 1k attack power now. Even Zenobia on Rex doesn't have that much attack yet. :hellyeah:

Sadie drops them but the easiest enemy to farm for legendary cores is the unique you unlock doing the dragon's stomach quest in Uraya. It's only in the 60s so for a high level party it's not much of a threat. Put some Gold Chips on your blades (it can drop gold chips too, iirc) and give nia/tora the beta scope to lower break resists. Then give Rex an overclock bangle and you'll be doing topple/launch/smash combos with him constantly. You should average a couple legendary (and lots of rare) cores per kill.

If you're 90+ and already have gold chips don't do this. The Urayan mob has a substantially lower drop rate for legendary cores than 90+ mobs. You want the Relentless Arduran you unlock from feeding the baby in the farms out back of Torigoth (you did feed it, right? you didn't kill it? like a monster? good). Relentless Arduran has the legendary core drop rates of a superboss but no special break resist, you should be driver combo it multiple times per minute with a >50% drop rate.

Don't try this if you're not 90+ or lack gold chips, but IMO in that case it's more efficient to solve those problems than it is to farm the Urayan mob (though it drops gold chips).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Break > Topple > Launch > SMASH sequence is so god drat satisfying, more games need it. All games, regardless of genre.

Do you guys try and get all four on one character or spread 'em out over everyone so you're not racing to hit them before the state expires? 4th character has a good and consistent break, Pyra has an easy topple and Roc has a smash. I hear Tora can do all four later on with certain items but...well...Tora.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If I'm specifically farming, I get Topple/Smash/Launch on rex since break is easy and plentiful in comparison.

If I'm just partying, Pandoria has a Launch with Zeke which is kinda important because after chapter 7, main blades can't be unequipped.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you're straight optimizing for maximum driver combos, control tora (who has the best break art in the game + a launch). have each party member use a single blade, one of which can topple, the other of which can smash (katana on four + greataxe on five is the obvious combo, idk if there's a way to do it with a healer). ideally it should be a common blade with treasure sensor.

the easiest way to do it is to carry a greataxe/pandoria and roc on rex and rely on the party for breaking, yeah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

If I'm specifically farming, I get Topple/Smash/Launch on rex since break is easy and plentiful in comparison.

If I'm just partying, Pandoria has a Launch with Zeke which is kinda important because after chapter 7, main blades can't be unequipped.

You can unequip main blades by moving them off the top position and then equipping them with Rex. You can then unequip them from Rex and they won't go back to their normal driver unless you reequip them

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
all the main blades are insanely good on rex too, though pandoria has the unfortunate problem of competing with mythra as burst dps/special battery, and mythra is pantshittingly good

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Oh no I killed the baby on the Torigoth farm... because it looked at me funny :devil:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Pandoria is so good in the World Tree thanks to those robot buster affinity specials.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

IcePhoenix posted:

lol I had the same thought when that happened to me

Is there a good way to help the second tank keep aggro? Because man am I pulling a ton of it now. I know that's partially because my auto-attack damage on Mythra is a lot higher but it's also probably because I can just keep chaining arts as well. Or should I just put Tora back on tank duty and fill the poppis with aggro boost parts?

If an enemy even glances at Rex, I start spamming that aggro-reduction driver art. I forget the name, but I think he says "smash" even though it's not a smash reaction.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So after beating the game and sitting on the ending for hours, I think my one-word description for it is "uneven." I think chapter 9 onwards was kinda wonky in its pacing, and probably had the weakest climax of Xenogears/Saga 3/Blade 1.

I'm prepared to be massively disappointed by what story expansion is coming in the fall cause there seems like a lot left out despite being a long game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
four's blade has enmity generation problems in short fights because her kit is tuned around that stacking +10% to damage on dodge ability; at 250% they're monstrous but it'll take them a while to get up there. try letting four use your first elemental special--brighid's level 1 special actually hits like a truck and they have the same +60-100% aggro on special passive most (all?) other tank blades do.

e: why do i even bother with the four/five convention anymore

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 1, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

So I just looked up overclock bangle because the description was vague and a lot of people had talked about how good it is, and apparently it basically fixes the whole problem of switching to blades "early" (to continue driver/blade combos or whatever) having a heavy cost in terms of prohibiting you from using the previous blade for a while.

One question about it, though - is it useful with AI controlled party members? It seems like it might be good in terms of allowing the AI to switch blades to continue driver/blade combos more easily, though I'm not sure if the AI would take advantage of that.

Also, one other accessory question - there's an accessory that increases party gauge when driver arts are used, and one that increases party gauge when (I think) an attack crits. Which of these is better? It seems like it depends how much the party gauge is increased in each case. Maybe the crit one becomes better if used on a party member with really high crit?

Reiterpallasch posted:

all the main blades are insanely good on rex too, though pandoria has the unfortunate problem of competing with mythra as burst dps/special battery, and mythra is pantshittingly good

It's really ridiculous, I can literally use arts non-stop/back-to-back with her, without ever even needing to switch blades. And it doesn't even generally cause much of an aggro problem, since one of those arts reduces aggro. I haven't checked, but I think she has some ability that give a chance to auto-recharge skills, so I'll often end up using the potion-spawning ability like 4 times back to back, which I'm pretty sure is better healing than most actual healers.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 1, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invenerable posted:

If an enemy even glances at Rex, I start spamming that aggro-reduction driver art. I forget the name, but I think he says "smash" even though it's not a smash reaction.

He says "Rolling Smash" because that's its name and this is anime so everyone has to shout their attack names.

Unfortunately even with the aggro reduction I still can't shed most things :negative:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just unlocked Merc missions. Before I start doing the missions, should I start using up cores so I don't waste potential trust unlocks for the blades? I only have two rares and like fifteen commons. One of them is Ursula which I heard is a chore.

Or should I just beeline the story for the 4th character (hopefully comes soon)?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

poe meater posted:

I just unlocked Merc missions. Before I start doing the missions, should I start using up cores so I don't waste potential trust unlocks for the blades? I only have two rares and like fifteen commons. One of them is Ursula which I heard is a chore.

Ursula is a chore to hit max rank with, but even at rank 3 she's the best off- healer in the game to carry on Rex. 4 and 5 are just icing.

Ytlaya posted:

It's really ridiculous, I can literally use arts non-stop/back-to-back with her, without ever even needing to switch blades. And it doesn't even generally cause much of an aggro problem, since one of those arts reduces aggro. I haven't checked, but I think she has some ability that give a chance to auto-recharge skills, so I'll often end up using the potion-spawning ability like 4 times back to back, which I'm pretty sure is better healing than most actual healers.

She has a passive that negates an art's cooldown if it crits, a passive that boosts her crit rate, and blade arts that further boost her crit rate and art recharge speed. also, her double-hitting art rolls for crit twice and only one of the hits needs to crit to refresh its cooldown. It's actually stupid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why is Floren's line when you feed him Snow Dumplings so hilarious? And what's an easier way of building trust than forcefeeding your Blades? :gonk:

Evil Fluffy posted:

:tipshat: I found that one, but somehow didn't get much legendary cores from it. I'll try again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

am I doing something wrong? I've spent an hour long resting trying to get platinum cylinders from either mor ardain, or gormott and nothing is spawning.

Are people full of poo poo? I'm mostly done chapter 6 and I have the best rank salvaging...I can easily buy gold cylinders but I want platinum ones so I don't have to grind so much :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This Dahlia cutscene makes me want to die.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

am I doing something wrong? I've spent an hour long resting trying to get platinum cylinders from either mor ardain, or gormott and nothing is spawning.

Are people full of poo poo? I'm mostly done chapter 6 and I have the best rank salvaging...I can easily buy gold cylinders but I want platinum ones so I don't have to grind so much :(

Premium cylinders randomly show up as far as I can tell. They're not worth it. Gold cylinders are better. What are you trying to do? Build town rankings?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: dp

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

poe meater posted:

Or should I just beeline the story for the 4th character (hopefully comes soon)?

You should beeline but also just put whoever in merc missions since your new blade requires merc levels to rise up.

Merc missions is just basically extra.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Still mad that they don't let us do unlimited merc missions at a time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Premium cylinders randomly show up as far as I can tell. They're not worth it. Gold cylinders are better. What are you trying to do? Build town rankings?

it's easier to make gold and other things because they have a higher chance of spawning rare chests.

This is like with level 12 salvaging mastery, too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is the dragon's stomach thing the bug? I might do some core farming later. I tried fighting the Relentless Ardun but it whooped my rear end so I need to get a few more levels I guess.

...I should really stop stalling and just beat the game (I am in chapter nine) but I don't want it to end :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

With a salvaging mastery or two you can get more gold that the cost of a premium cylinder on average. That's just the gold from the chests, not counting the absolutely stupid amount of high value salvage you get too.

Get your salvager rank up and never use anything other than premium cylinders. Period. You will make more money in 30min with them than gold ones get you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So considering the game saves for you when you roll for blades, I figured it would be autosaving more often than never, which I just found out it doesn't when my game hardcrashed and I lost three hours worth of mercenary mission progress I needed too complete side missions and also regular playing-the-game progress

Fffffffffffuck

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So considering the game saves for you when you roll for blades, I figured it would be autosaving more often than never, which I just found out it doesn't when my game hardcrashed and I lost three hours worth of mercenary mission progress I needed too complete side missions and also regular playing-the-game progress

Fffffffffffuck

lol why the hell would you assume this :owned:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do merc missions count bonus skills as the total of a bonus skill's level across all mercs, or as the number of mercs who have X bonus skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Finally got a rare blade after like 200+ cores. It was Grog or whatever. Luckily he has fortitude which I need to complete one of Ursula's concert missions that requires three blades with that skill. Progress!