Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grouchio posted:

I am having a hard time discerning whether there's anything in the Tales franchise other than a collection of generic fantasy tropes - at first glance 5 episodes in.

Berseria owns dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Berseria owns dude
Twas talking about Zestiria

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Twas talking about Zestiria

Ah, yeah, well don't judge the series based on the worst game in it please

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

May as well, people have been judging it based on Symphonia for years.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is Zestiria really worse than Legendia?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never played that one but it's not worse than Symphonia 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I am having a hard time discerning whether there's anything in the Tales franchise other than a collection of generic fantasy tropes - at first glance 5 episodes in.
You're watching an anime adaptation of the worst game in the series and judging the entire franchise off of it. Even though the games all have wildly different tones and settings.

Justin_Brett posted:

Is Zestiria really worse than Legendia?

Sakurazuka posted:

Never played that one but it's not worse than Symphonia 2.

Zestiria is incredibly worse than both those things. Legendia has crappy combat and bizarre writing but at least its writing is bizarre in an interesting way and not an incredibly dull way. And Symphonia 2 is a crappy sequel to a mediocre game but at least it has a couple of alright characters who actually have screentime and reasonable motivations, as opposed to Zestiria where the game almost goes out of its way to be dismissive towards the best characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zestiria is a game where the protagonist murders a bunch of mildly depressed children and everyone goes 'yeah, good,' and then he goes around talking down to other people about how they shouldn't do bad things or think bad thoughts, even though his best friend is a literal assassin who tried to kill him on false pretenses and so has probably killed other people on false pretenses, and also he murders people for literal thoughtcrime. And somehow this is executed so lifelessly that it becomes dull instead of irritating or surreal.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's a good way to kill the super soldiers in Wolfenstein New Order, this encounter with two of them is pissing me off.

three of them, are you kidding me

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 1, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's hosed up I had to wait this long for Kirby but my patience is about to be rewarded so its ok

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

like watching that weird final fantasy 5 anime and thinking, yeah, this is probably what ff15 is

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe Lunafreya had butt lasers, how would we know with the 5 minutes she's in the game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Does tales have a lady protagonist with a bow?

Berseria has a demon claw as the literal extension of the protagonist's loss of humanity and all-consuming rage. So, acceptable.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
My new year's resolution is to get better at quickscoping in Black Ops 1

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm looking forward to playing more Doom mods in 2018.

Namaste, bitches.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hi it should have been New Year+

game on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My new year's resolution is 2560x1440p

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't believe yajirobe's not playable in the arcsys dbz game...smh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Prey was the game that was on the least top ten lists that deserves to be played more, make that #1 on your backlog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOFF2S_bXo
As for me, I'm probably going to play Night in the Woods. Gotta space out my 2D story-heavy adventure-type games and Kentucky Route Zero is definitely coming out in "early 2018"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's hosed up I had to wait this long for Kirby but my patience is about to be rewarded so its ok

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

What's a good way to kill the super soldiers in Wolfenstein New Order, this encounter with two of them is pissing me off.

three of them, are you kidding me

Laserkraftwerk, click on their heads. You may need to circle strafe to stay alive.

Alternatively, dual shotguns, click on their heads at a closer distance than with the laser

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Does tales have a lady protagonist with a bow?

Well exquisite tea expressed interest in it so I think that answers your question

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello chat thread! I forgot about the December chat thread for most of the month! Whoops!

Last year I only completed a few games:
Sonic Mania,
Wolfenstein the New Order,
Doom (new)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Steamworld Dig 2.

I aim to finish a few more games this year I tell you!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

VideoGames posted:

Hello chat thread! I forgot about the December chat thread for most of the month! Whoops!

Last year I only completed a few games:
Sonic Mania,
Wolfenstein the New Order,
Doom (new)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Steamworld Dig 2.

I aim to finish a few more games this year I tell you!!

Hello VideoGames. You should play Night in the Woods. Have a good day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got to the surprise genie fight in Ni no Kuni which I assumed was one of those battles I couldn't win when it destroyed my dumb gently caress AI character in two hits. It wasn't.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Ni no Kuni 2 is March here wth

It got delayed everywhere, it's not coming out in January

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't care anymore the first game loving sucks and I'm not buying the sequel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Well exquisite tea expressed interest in it so I think that answers your question

Unfortunately as far as I can tell no female characters express much interest in archery in this game, but you can indeed give them a ribbon tie to wear, so technically it does have chicks with bows.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Even if the game isn't all that good at least we get a free Kirby theme to promote it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Prey has a lady with a (cross)bow. It's even called the Huntress

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Huntress Boltcaster best weapon 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Did we not do a Best of 2017 thread? I feel like this past year was too incredible, so many quality releases. Resident Evil VII, absolutely great return to form for a classic franchise, Nier: Automata, absolute masterpiece, Persona 5 bringing JRPGs into the 21st century in style, showing up Square-Enix who did release Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood which was a lot of fun. I played a lot of The Surge and would recommend it over Nioh if you want an actual Souls-like game. Horizon Zero Dawn was absolutely the landmark new IP of the year, probably of the decade, so many ways it nails it out the gate and so much room to grow beyond, Nintendo Switch brought us the absolutely superb Super Mario Odyssey which is my hands-down game of the year for 2017 and also has Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which is probably my second favorite RPG release this year behind Nier Automata, despite its flaws, 80 hours gladly sunk in and I'll probably buy its DLC.

The best, most underrated game of the year however goes to Echo, an incredible indie title available on PS4 and elsewhere that provides a riveting sci-fi experience and some really cool stealth gameplay that requires you to think carefully about your every action. It has one of my favorite opening sequences in games and is truly worth your time and money.

And this is just the games I played, I never got around to picking up Prey, Shadows of War or Yakuza 0, and there's bound to be some big ones I missed. 2017 was too incredible, and my somber prediction is that 2018 will not be able to match the sheer volume of quality releases it put forward. Monster Hunter World does seem very solid though...

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Huntress Boltcaster best weapon 2017

Cappy

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

8-Bit Scholar posted:

[many excellent 2017 games]

It is easy to forget a good game this year but do not sleep on Pyre

Also I adore Battle Chef Brigade and Splatoon 2

God damnit

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 1, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm kind of relieved that 2018 doesn't have much on the horizon that interests me so that I can clear out all these GOTY contenders.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This is the year Advance Wars comes back, I can feel it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yeah

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

This is the year Advance Wars comes back, I can feel it

Will Hetler reveal himself?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Sakurazuka posted:

I got to the surprise genie fight in Ni no Kuni which I assumed was one of those battles I couldn't win when it destroyed my dumb gently caress AI character in two hits. It wasn't.

That drat genie made me drop the game. And when I let my friend borrow the game she quit at the genie too. It's horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2018 will be the best gaming year yet because it includes all games from 2017

• Locked thread