Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CriterionForum.org is leaking into this thread

Really, the one I'm most excited about is The Color of Pomegranates. I've only seen the Kino DVD from decades ago and it looked awful. I'd imagine the new World Cinema Project restoration looks great.

Also, I hope Criterion matches or surpasses the UK edition from Second Sight, which looks packed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colour-Pom...of+pomegranates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Raxivace posted:

Me too, but the evidence points to Part V. The way the "Friday" is doubled is a hint toward the killer of Part V being a Jason copycat, and Tommy Jarvis himself seeming to become Jason again at the end. The larger V is the roman numeral for the number 5 of course, and what's on the V? A cow, and as we all remember the finale of Friday the 13th: Part V takes place within a barn and barns are where cows live.

I'm mad this isn't true now

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The bullets set up like bowling pins are definitely Bowling for Columbine although there being ten of them made me think of 3 1/2 Minutes, 10 Bullets.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

Me too, but the evidence points to Part V. The way the "Friday" is doubled is a hint toward the killer of Part V being a Jason copycat, and Tommy Jarvis himself seeming to become Jason again at the end. The larger V is the roman numeral for the number 5 of course, and what's on the V? A cow, and as we all remember the finale of Friday the 13th: Part V takes place within a barn and barns are where cows live.

hopefully they'll include that 10 hour long making of doc

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Already see a few definite ones:
The Tree of Life

My first thought was The Fountain, although The Tree of Life seems more likely.

The woman on the moon puzzles me. She seems to be holding a Scandinavian flag, so maybe something related to Bergman. Unless the woman is meant to be a general representation of royalty. Princess from the Moon?

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me
Miami Vice (Vise)?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is the dog an Umberto D upgrade?:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly a Criterion set for the F13 movies would be really, really dope

it's probably our best hope of seeing any of them between the first and Jason Goes to Hell uncut

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

SgtSanity posted:

Miami Vice (Vise)?
I've seen folks suggesting that one is The Scarlet Empress.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly a Criterion set for the F13 movies would be really, really dope

it's probably our best hope of seeing any of them between the first and Jason Goes to Hell uncut

You mean this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jason-...t=ref:212,loc:2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The sequels between the first and Jason Goes to Hell. With the exception of those two, they're all unavailable uncut.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Basebf555 posted:

The sequels between the first and Jason Goes to Hell. With the exception of those two, they're all unavailable uncut.

whoa i had no idea, i imagine they had to tone the kills down to avoid an x rating

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry, thought you were saying Jason Goes to Hell Uncut.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

whoa i had no idea, i imagine they had to tone the kills down to avoid an x rating
Oh yeah, all of those movies had trouble with the MPAA and had to have their violence toned down before they got an R-rating. IIRC the more violent footage exists for most of the films but in compromised quality, so it'd mean jumps in picture quality if someone were to cut the trimmed footage back into the films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The dog is The Awful Truth and the vice is obviously The Scarlet Empress.

I really, really doubt Criterion would touch anything from the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street series. They're not going to outbid Shout! Factory, if the rights did come up for licensing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd heard that on top of the MPAA, Paramount was a little embarrassed by the series and maybe was responsible for watering it down.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
After watching the first volume of Shoah, I think I've come to terms that I'm never going to finish it. It manages to be so personal about the subject that I have a truly tough time getting through it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I, Butthole posted:

After watching the first volume of Shoah, I think I've come to terms that I'm never going to finish it. It manages to be so personal about the subject that I have a truly tough time getting through it.

Use Night and fog as a palate cleanser

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Samuel Clemens posted:

My first thought was The Fountain, although The Tree of Life seems more likely.

When The Fountain came out Aronofsky practically begged Criterion to release it:

http://www.slashfilm.com/darren-aronofsky-blames-warner-bros-for-fountain-dvd/

I REALLY wish that it WAS the Fountain, because the current release is lackluster (and the "Tree of Life" current release is perfectly fine as is), but I'm doubtful they'll ever release one of his films.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Isn't The Tree of Life supposed to be a new extended cut?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Origami Dali posted:

Isn't The Tree of Life supposed to be a new extended cut?

I LOVE The Tree of Life, but am not sure that the movie needs a longer cut.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It'd be a nice consolation for never getting the 5-hour cut of The Thin Red Line

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Finally got my hands on Othello and Barry Lyndon, and they're drat nice packages. Has there been any news of blu upgrades of the Olivier Shakespeare films?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Finally got my hands on Othello and Barry Lyndon, and they're drat nice packages. Has there been any news of blu upgrades of the Olivier Shakespeare films?

There's UK editions of Henry V and Hamlet, but I don't think they were recent transfers. Richard III obviously already has a 4K upgrade already out from Criterion.

Seconding Othello and Barry Lyndon. I'm still going through Othello's extras, despite having seen both cuts, Filming Othello, and Hilton Edwards' short film, and the Simon Callow interview.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, I watched Jabberwocky last night and it was an absolutely wonderful film. It's not exactly the pinnacle of cinema, but I love how Terry Gilliam created a believable medieval world out of practically nothing. The cinematography was absolutely stunning. I'm convinced that a 70s Lord of the Rings should have been helmed by Gilliam since he could have pulled it off with a low budget. I mean, when you finally see the monster, it seems completely organic to the world the film has built up to rather than something silly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nroo posted:

It'd be a nice consolation for never getting the 5-hour cut of The Thin Red Line

Is that the one where Adrian Brody's career was left intact?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Seems like Criterion might have No Country For Old Men. They just added it to The Criterion Channel on Filmstruck.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
do the Coen bros record commentaries

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

do the Coen bros record commentaries

They didn't do one for Blood Simple, not sure what their overall policy is. The Blood Simple Criterion has this weird halfway commentary where the Coens are at some live event with a screening of the movie where they discuss various scenes.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I lust for a physical release of the Godzilla films, hurry up.

I also blind ordered Woman In The Dunes, what should I expect?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I also blind ordered Woman In The Dunes, what should I expect?

It's a masterpiece

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Nroo posted:

It's a masterpiece

Agreed. This is definitely a movie where it pays off to read the book before watching it.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems like Criterion might have No Country For Old Men. They just added it to The Criterion Channel on Filmstruck.

Good for them I guess. I don't really see the point. The version I've owned for ~10 years is nearly reference quality.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Basebf555 posted:

They didn't do one for Blood Simple, not sure what their overall policy is. The Blood Simple Criterion has this weird halfway commentary where the Coens are at some live event with a screening of the movie where they discuss various scenes.

Blood Simple did have one but they didn't include it in the Criterion:

quote:

Fake expert commentary, Blood Simple
The Coen brothers’ first film, Blood Simple, is a sharp, bitter noir about love and greed turning rotten in Texas. When the movie was re-released to theaters in 2000, the Coens trimmed three minutes and threw in some comedy, with a short, pompous introduction by “Mortimer Young” of “Forever Films.” Not content to let the joke die, for the 2001 DVD release, they hired actor Jim Piddock to provide a commentary track as the ponderous, idiotic “Kenneth Loring.” Loring spends the track telling flat-out lies, making deathless observations (“How very, very remarkably glum these characters are”), or describing exactly what’s happening onscreen. (“Now we have rain again, a character in a stationary car.”) It’s a dead-on parody of some of the worst offenses ever committed to DVD special features, and much like those offenses, it isn’t all that much fun to sit through.

I've held on to my old DVD copy and haven't upgraded for this reason.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm still waiting patiently for someone to upload the audio drama that was included on the Naked laserdisc.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If there are any goons in the DC area the National Gallery is showing a few titles in the upcoming months like Au Hasard Balthazar, Day for Night, a whole weekend of Stan Brakhage stuff plus The Sacrafice and Women in Love which will probably be released at some point. Anyways since its the Smithsonian its all free!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Sorry to be an obnoxious pedant, but even though NGA is on the National Mall, it's not affiliated with the Smithsonian. Still free though!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
huh, well what do ya know never knew that

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If there are any goons in the DC area the National Gallery is showing a few titles in the upcoming months like Au Hasard Balthazar, Day for Night, a whole weekend of Stan Brakhage stuff plus The Sacrafice and Women in Love which will probably be released at some point. Anyways since its the Smithsonian its all free!

I'd love to see some Brakhage films on film.

I've been going through the Criterion set and really enjoying them.

Also almost done with Dekalog. No wonder Kubrick thought it was the greatest film ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd love to see some Brakhage films on film.

dont worry, I'll bring my camera and tape em for ya