Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
On another note, how were the new Chappelle specials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The most recent one was one of his best ever.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

The most recent one was one of his best ever.

weren't there two?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, 'The Bird Revelation' and 'Equanimity' from memory. Not seen either yet, so appreciate feedback too. Haven't seen the 2 previous ones either, mind!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

GobiasIndustries posted:

weren't there two?

Oh poo poo. The internet tells me he made 4 this year.

I've only seen one of them!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Bird Revelation was fantastic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It's kind of crazy how much his voice has changed since the Chappelle show days

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh poo poo, I only watched the first two that dropped. Guess I know how I'm spending tomorrow night!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Finally got around to watching San Junipero since I didn't watch the episodes last year. Whoa, Black Mirror did an optimistic use of technology.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everyone ends up at The Quagmire eventually

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Dumber than farting cartoon bear or "Community episode played straight"? I've got to see this.

I remember hearing someone once describe a sketch parodying the Sam Raimi film A Simple Plan where the guys begin killing each other almost immediately as soon as they find the money and I guess whoever that was was right, that is a really funny idea. Dunno why anyone would want to play it straight though.

This season was uniquely disappointing in that roughly half of the episodes were just straight-up rehashes of the premises of existing episodes which is kind of awful considering the small episode order and long run time. But par for the course it did have one really good episode, I really wish they had more like that and fewer "torturing a person inside a computer forever because it's SAD, don't you feel SAD watching it suffer???" shitfests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PaTWufUqqU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
As far as end of year lists go, I wanted to give a shoutout to THE EXORCIST. It only takes some cues from the movie (Ok, one pretty big one) but the second season is great and it has crazy religious conspiracies which is always up my street. Plus John Cho, who should be in more things.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Snak posted:

I'm on my third watch through of Patriot and it really is amazing.

Also, Chance is really loving good and I probably want to make a huge effort post about why sometime.

It was episode three's conversation about the Banach Tarski paradox that sold it for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Everyone should watch The Deuce.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/947861965657051136

Looks like Bender time traveled again

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Will Ferrel, Molly Shannon, and Tim Meadows are killing it at the Rose Bowl Parade.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I thought the first two were kind of lousy, but the one that came out yesterday was great. I was somewhere in the audience for the recording of that one!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

I thought the first two were kind of lousy, but the one that came out yesterday was great. I was somewhere in the audience for the recording of that one!

He went on for quite a while about the backlash to his trans jokes from the earlier Netflix specials. It definitely seemed like he realized how it was taken and somewhat rephrased the tone and tenor of his jokes to address it. He also went in on Trump pretty hard without sounding super political but more of a "this poo poo is loving insane"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

Will Ferrel, Molly Shannon, and Tim Meadows are killing it at the Rose Bowl Parade.
That's a good combination. I miss Cheri O'Teri, too. It's nice to see Ana Gasteyer in Lady Dynamite.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:siren: Cutthroat Kitchen season 7 just showed up on Hulu :siren:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGWytTLosI

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a good combination. I miss Cheri O'Teri, too. It's nice to see Ana Gasteyer in Lady Dynamite.

Yeah I kind of wish that whole SNL cast would come back and do something together. I never expected a parade to be entertaining (my wife had it on tv since she's from Pasadena) but they made it pretty drat funny!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hell yeah. The first season was great but only the final two episodes were stuff that wasn't already covered by the movie, I'm looking forward to seeing them do something they don't have to conspicuously distance themselves from an existing version of plus getting to finally see those stories on screen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Chappelle defends Louis CK in his most recent special and calls out on of his accusers.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not really though.

He does talk about a lot of the sexual abuse & indecency things that have been coming to light, but at no point does he shame any victims or try to say anything Louis did was alright.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Chapelle has to deal with having basically the entire country turn on him and think he had lost his mind and gone insane because he walked away from his show and went radio silent without warning even though he's fully explained why since and was IMHO was not only completely justified but showed a lot of character and bravery in doing so, I can see why he might have a unique view on the current outings of Hollywood because of that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Mann posted:

Chapelle has to deal with having basically the entire country turn on him and think he had lost his mind and gone insane because he walked away from his show and went radio silent without warning even though he's fully explained why since and was IMHO was not only completely justified but showed a lot of character and bravery in doing so, I can see why he might have a unique view on the current outings of Hollywood because of that.

He still has to answer for IM RIK JAMES BITCH.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Technically that was Charlie Murphy, Dave just played a role in the segment.

And he did, I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

pickle rick james XD

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This first episode of Black Mirror Season 4 sure is loving terrible & I hope it picks up after this lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This first episode of Black Mirror Season 4 sure is loving terrible & I hope it picks up after this lol

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought it wa bad. Meth Damon isn't a good actor at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How can you say that when he's probably the only person in history who can do a Kirk impression without doing a Shatner parody at the same time?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Episode 5, Metalhead, is really good and it's the only one that isn't in some way a rehash of an existing episode's concept, if you're gonna bail at least give that a shot because it's pretty different from anything the show has done. To continue the Twilight Zone comparisons it reminded me a lot of The Invaders and the black and white works really well.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Metalhead is well executed and scary as gently caress, but I don't really think it works as an episode of Black Mirror. It's like they had a really simple idea they wanted to film but couldn't come up with an actual story to accompany it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Metalhead was one of my least favorites and USS Callister was my favorite from this season. I thought Hang the DJ and Black Museum were really good too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Metalhead was one of my least favorites and USS Callister was my favorite from this season. I thought Hang the DJ and Black Museum were really good too.

Did you ever see the Christmas special that came out between season 2 and the Netflix seasons? Because I think a lot of my dislike of this season was because so many of the episodes they put out felt like retreads of the ideas they used in that episode only without anything that really justified or was improved by redoing them and especially stretching them out to full episode length.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh man gently caress yes. i cannot wait.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metalhead was the most edge of your seat poo poo. USS Callister was good black mirror, it was very funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
jesse plemons' shatner impression is fantastic and i wish the episode had given him more room to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Chappelle defends Louis CK in his most recent special and calls out on of his accusers.

Way to completely miss the point. I assume you mean the person who said the experience ended her dream of being a comedian and his follow up was to mock the idea that someone's dream could be so easily squashed if it really was their "dream"

He was still 100% that Louis CK was in the wrong but that the allegations were hilarious as gently caress to read about when you knew him. The only little support bit was Chappelle saying "did they really have to take everything from him? Was he really as bad as Weinstein etc?"