Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Gerblyn posted:

I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying at all, I think I expressed myself badly. When I used words like Smart, I didn’t mean Smart like Napoleon destroying the player with searing strategic insight, I meant Smart like another human playing a reasonably competent game.

I think you’re underestimating how difficult it is write a 4X game AI which isn’t pants-on-head incompetent, yet alone one which is so smart that the player hates trying to beat it. Managing production queues, empire expansion, diplomacy, economics, research and military deployment, all with something that even roughly ressembles a human’s playstyle is a hugely complex task requiring a ton of prvoessing power. There’s a reason people complain that 4X AIs only provide a reasonable challenge by cheating in extra resources and units.

In the end, faking it only gets you so far with something as complex as a strategy game AI, and getting it
to play reasonably well falls squarely into the domain of the AI programmer. Most designers are only really qualified to provide the highest levels of direction, they can’t design around these problems except by fundamentally changing the rules of the game the AI is playing. That’s why I mentioned Sorceror King, which I personally think is going the right direction for people who want a fun, single player 4X game.

In SK, the Big Bad Guy AI doesn’t need to deal with all the complex stuff that makes the game fun for a player, all it needs to do is spawn armies and things which are tailored to challenge the player. If a designer says “Fighting this kind of army while trying to invade is fun”, the AI can just create one in the right place, which is far simple than what an AI in a traditional 4X would need to do to get the same result.

Yeah, I think we're ultimately agreeing, just different ways of saying the same thing :) What I meant is that - I don't know that the challenge in successfully executing fun single-player 4X games is an engineering/AI challenge, and thus the 4X genre wouldn't become drastically more enjoyable for players if it leveraged cloud computing, which probably makes it not worth the cost?

Again, like you're saying, I think it's the secret to good SP 4X is the design challenge of making something like Sorcerer Kings, where the game is inherently asymmetric, because even if you perfectly simulate a human player, part of the satisfaction of winning a symmetric PvP game is knowing you outsmarted a human. I would bet that most people would find beating an AI in one of these symmetric PvP games less satisfying? Hard part is, there's not a ton of 4X games that have tried something asymmetric to compare against! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mother posted:

A lot of places (not just games) are silly with data. You’d be surprised (or maybe not) at how many people in high-level positions don’t ask questions about numbers they are handed if the presentation looks pro.

I had a day-long argument with a PM who angrily insisted my questions about his data were me trying to deflect the problems shown by the numbers. His data showed that the “average time to complete the first tutorial” on a game we were working on was something like 90 hours. Almost anyone who has ever done any work on a game (or played a game or paid attention to time or been awake) is going to see something like “90 hours to complete the first tutorial” and think “that cannot be right.” But, there we were….

i haven't ever worked in the games industry but if it's anything like every other job i've ever worked in, and anecdotes like this one lead me to believe this is the case, i will always remain skeptical of arguments about how "well brown shooters/microtransactions/whatever are clearly the money makers why do you think ea and activision are doing it :smug:". the divine righteousness of the enlightened captains of industry(tm) is an idea that really needs to die because it is so demonstrably false

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i haven't ever worked in the games industry but if it's anything like every other job i've ever worked in, and anecdotes like this one lead me to believe this is the case, i will always remain skeptical of arguments about how "well brown shooters/microtransactions/whatever are clearly the money makers why do you think ea and activision are doing it :smug:". the divine righteousness of the enlightened captains of industry(tm) is an idea that really needs to die because it is so demonstrably false

Five years ago, EA's stock was trading around $14/share. Today it's at 106. In 2014, their net income was 9 million, in 2017 their net income was 967 million. You can be skeptical all you want but, by every meaningful metric, their business strategy works. I say this as someone that deeply wishes it wasn't.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gearman posted:

Five years ago, EA's stock was trading around $14/share. Today it's at 106. In 2014, their net income was 9 million, in 2017 their net income was 967 million. You can be skeptical all you want but, by every meaningful metric, their business strategy works. I say this as someone that deeply wishes it wasn't.

It's not like they were small fry in 2014, either. Kinda depressing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Gearman posted:

if you think "every meaningful metric" is a couple of random stock market attributes picked from arbitrary years, i really don't know what to tell you

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was skeptical of that 100-fold profit increase in 3 years story too, so I pulled EA's 2014 10K filing to compare previous years.

2014 : $9m
2013 : $98m
2012 : $76m
2011 : -$276m
2010 : -$677m

It checks out: their margins have absolutely exploded as a result of microtransactions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if you think "every meaningful metric" is a couple of random stock market attributes picked from arbitrary years, i really don't know what to tell you

It is the most meaningful metric for those in the final decision making positions.

Again, I think these lines of debate have lost sight of their thesis statements and are just now about going "no, but what I think is true because of data". I'm not even sure what points people are trying to make anymore.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I was skeptical of that 100-fold profit increase in 3 years story too, so I pulled EA's 2014 10K filing to compare previous years.

It checks out: their margins have absolutely exploded as a result of microtransactions.

Yeah, there really isn't any room for debate here. EA's business strategy has proven to be extremely effective for the better part of a decade.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mutata posted:

It is the most meaningful metric for those in the final decision making positions.

Again, I think these lines of debate have lost sight of their thesis statements and are just now about going "no, but what I think is true because of data". I'm not even sure what points people are trying to make anymore.

I don't know if I've explicitly said it but one thing I've been trying to point out is that big, existing industry leaders, whether in games or something else, didn't get to the position they are in because they are the sole captains of industry who are smarter and more rational than everyone else. Pointing to a couple of arbitrary data points on (in this case) EA's ticker readings and SEC filings really means nothing. This is because EA, much like any other large multinational corporation, is affected by a huge number of variables every single day. They are affected by changes the economy and stability of every country they do business with, changes in all the laws and regulations of these countries, mergers and acquisitions (and divestitures) of their own and of competitors, the growths and failures of competitors, internal reorganizations, and I could go on for quite a bit longer here but I think anyone arguing in good faith would see my point. And this is even before we consider the general monopoly nature of the games business and the entertainment business in general (in terms of copyright, trademarks, and patents), the monopoly nature of the console business, and so on. We don't live in an Ayn Rand libertopia where "smart man -> business decision -> more profit -> better than" and I think it really obscures the bigger picture when people discuss it that way.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so how would you go about judging the success of the microtransaction business model?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't know if I've explicitly said it but one thing I've been trying to point out is that big, existing industry leaders, whether in games or something else, didn't get to the position they are in because they are the sole captains of industry who are smarter and more rational than everyone else. Pointing to a couple of arbitrary data points on (in this case) EA's ticker readings and SEC filings really means nothing. This is because EA, much like any other large multinational corporation, is affected by a huge number of variables every single day. They are affected by changes the economy and stability of every country they do business with, changes in all the laws and regulations of these countries, mergers and acquisitions (and divestitures) of their own and of competitors, the growths and failures of competitors, internal reorganizations, and I could go on for quite a bit longer here but I think anyone arguing in good faith would see my point. And this is even before we consider the general monopoly nature of the games business and the entertainment business in general (in terms of copyright, trademarks, and patents), the monopoly nature of the console business, and so on. We don't live in an Ayn Rand libertopia where "smart man -> business decision -> more profit -> better than" and I think it really obscures the bigger picture when people discuss it that way.

Ok. I mean, I don't really think you're using the word "monopoly" correctly here, but you're right that there are many, many factors that feed into the success of a company. What's your point though? People in this thread have drawn a line from "uses microtransactions" to "makes 20 times the profit" and used financial figures (albeit general ones) to back that up. What are you positing?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

shame on an IGA posted:

To be fair they could have had a comparably large increase in margins by shutting down entirely. Doing better than -$677 million a year is a bit of a low bar ;)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is your position that executives and the boards of major corporations are not responsible for their profits, and do not make decisions based on their best belief to increase their profits and margin?

Or is your position that it does not appear to rational people that micro transactions in games is beneficial to long term customer value?

Because I don’t believe either of those is true, and most of the higher ups I’ve interacted with seem similarly inclined.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

One thing I can say for sure is that's it's frustrating when a smaller company like the one I work for looks at the trends that are making the top dogs billions of dollars and says "this is how you make money now, and we if do that too then we'll be successful" and then tries to copy the latest trends as closely as possible with none of the funding or resources to back it up. A lot of executive-types seem to think that there's something magical about whatever techniques are currently making lots of money such that you can turn a big profit with them even when developing on a shoestring budget.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Triarii posted:

One thing I can say for sure is that's it's frustrating when a smaller company like the one I work for looks at the trends that are making the top dogs billions of dollars and says "this is how you make money now, and we if do that too then we'll be successful" and then tries to copy the latest trends as closely as possible with none of the funding or resources to back it up. A lot of executive-types seem to think that there's something magical about whatever techniques are currently making lots of money such that you can turn a big profit with them even when developing on a shoestring budget.

The trick to the plans used by the big players is they have huge ad budgets. And the storefronts return their calls when they ask about featuring.

:ms:

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I have spent a huge chunk of my life playing games, almost all single-player. I finish maybe 1%, because by halfway through either there is no longer a challenge or the gameplay has become repetitive.

When I've gotten to see all of the gameplay mechanics, if not the story, then starting the next game becomes more appealing. I finish 99% of books and movies because I know the ending is a huge part of the experience and will completely change the way I view it. My assumption is that most of the artistry in a game goes into the gameplay, not the story, so I've "gotten" almost all of a game by halfway through.

Is this a cool and good way to experience games? Or is a ton of work going into the last third of the game, carefully managing difficulty curves, writing elaborate plot twists, and varying mechanics to avoid repetition, that I've just written off after a few stale experiences? I would hate to think that I'm often missing out on fresh gameplay and book-level plot twists at the 11th hour. But no matter what, as much as I love 4x, I am still always going to restart as a new faction once I own half the map!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

teardrop posted:

I have spent a huge chunk of my life playing games, almost all single-player. I finish maybe 1%, because by halfway through either there is no longer a challenge or the gameplay has become repetitive.

When I've gotten to see all of the gameplay mechanics, if not the story, then starting the next game becomes more appealing. I finish 99% of books and movies because I know the ending is a huge part of the experience and will completely change the way I view it. My assumption is that most of the artistry in a game goes into the gameplay, not the story, so I've "gotten" almost all of a game by halfway through.

Is this a cool and good way to experience games? Or is a ton of work going into the last third of the game, carefully managing difficulty curves, writing elaborate plot twists, and varying mechanics to avoid repetition, that I've just written off after a few stale experiences? I would hate to think that I'm often missing out on fresh gameplay and book-level plot twists at the 11th hour. But no matter what, as much as I love 4x, I am still always going to restart as a new faction once I own half the map!

It depends on the genre. In some games (like platformers), level design is vitally important, and the interesting stuff may not appear until near the end or post-game content. I wouldn’t want to jump out of a game just after the tutorial. In [the current form of] Diablo 3, the interesting part of the game is in progressing through greater rifts; this is entirely in post-game content.

If you’ve seen enough of a game though, you shouldn’t feel obliged to finish it. Same for books, movies, and albums.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
It's funny you should say platformers, the last game I finished was Psychonauts. Level design did stay fresh until the end.

I would never leave a book, movie, or album unfinished (unless it was really bad), because the author is able to surprise me right up to the end. In a game, although a Gravity Gun might end up getting supercharged, it's rare to withhold anything really radical. I know I'm not going to beat Sleeping Dogs and find myself in Shadowrun: Hong Kong building a spaceship that launches me into Stellaris! The experience of playing a game is primarily exploring and interacting with the world which has been created, and devs can't waste the resources to make 2 worlds when they could make 2 games instead, so overwhelmingly this seems to leave the second half as a mirror image of the first half. Protagonist grows from doing 1 damage to 10 damage, someday he may deal 20 damage and defeat the end boss and save the world.

I haven't played Diablo 3, but how is playing those endgame rifts and optimizing your gear different from the rest of the game? Could you give me any other examples (don't need to be recent) of games that definitely aren't mirror images, that might surprise me with the late game?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

teardrop posted:

It's funny you should say platformers, the last game I finished was Psychonauts. Level design did stay fresh until the end.

I would never leave a book, movie, or album unfinished (unless it was really bad), because the author is able to surprise me right up to the end. In a game, although a Gravity Gun might end up getting supercharged, it's rare to withhold anything really radical. I know I'm not going to beat Sleeping Dogs and find myself in Shadowrun: Hong Kong building a spaceship that launches me into Stellaris! The experience of playing a game is primarily exploring and interacting with the world which has been created, and devs can't waste the resources to make 2 worlds when they could make 2 games instead, so overwhelmingly this seems to leave the second half as a mirror image of the first half. Protagonist grows from doing 1 damage to 10 damage, someday he may deal 20 damage and defeat the end boss and save the world.

I haven't played Diablo 3, but how is playing those endgame rifts and optimizing your gear different from the rest of the game? Could you give me any other examples (don't need to be recent) of games that definitely aren't mirror images, that might surprise me with the late game?

The nature of what you’re doing and the strategies involved are just different. The gear you get (and would have trouble getting before) fundamentally alters your character’s skills.

Frog fractions [no explanation will do it credit]. Dance Dance Revolution [self evident, but maybe not worth picking up]. Disgaea [game starts as a tactics RPG, but it turns into an exploration in methods to break its systems]. If I thought longer, I’m sure I could come up with others.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

teardrop posted:

I think something that might be useful for you might be taking a hard look at what you find interesting in games. Everyone seeks something different from the experience, but knowing what you want out of a game, explicitly, can clear the path.

For example, if you need a narrative, a story, and characters to carry you through a game, it immediately crosses off things like Cities: Skylines. If you want a definitive ending and don't want a 'forever' game, maybe Diablo III isn't your jam. If mechanical skill isn't your strong suit, then Starcraft II, Dota, or Tekken 7 might need something else to carry them.

For me, I know I don't really care about narrative, and I really enjoy mechanical mastery and am willing to pay a complexity tax upfront to get involved in systems that offer a lot of depth. I want a game that makes me think hard about it's systems. To that end, I find that I really enjoy Path of Exile and Factorio. I also really like the aspect of Discovery that games like Dark Souls offer - I play those games and roguelikes as a result.

Conversely, I hold games to a very high technical standard - While BotW might have delivered on adventure and Discovery, it controls like rear end and it wrecked the experience for me. In the future, this will be something I investigate before buying other games.

I think that kind of introspection is very useful though for determining what really clicks with you and what doesn't. The are so many great games now that if you can accurately identify what you value in a game, you can almost certainly find a game that you feel was made especially for you (and then finish, of course :) )

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

teardrop posted:

Speaking as a gamer, rather than a developer, I think that you're right in that a game has a certain amount of gameplay in it, and that's a different thing to the amount of content in it. If I'm playing the newest Assassin's Creed game, I might have experienced all of the gameplay the game offers in the first 15 hours, while there's enough content to drag the game on for 40 hours, meaning I'm fairly bored for the last 25 hours, and may well just not finish the game.

I was speaking to some colleagues about this, and someone suggested it's a factor of where I am in life. I'm an adult who has a fair amount of disposable income, so I can afford to pick up a game, play it for a while, say "That's it!" and buy something else. My time is more valuable than my money, so I'll spend more on new games to have a better time. A lot of people aren't in that position though, they might only buy 1 or 2 games month, maybe less. Those people want to play a game for 80+ hours, because it's the only game they'll have for a month, and if it's over in 15 hours, they'll feel ripped off.

To answer your question, in my experience, more work tends to go into the beginning of the game than the later parts. There are bunch of reasons for this, like the beginning parts of the game are the ones shown to the press and to publishers in order to impress them. Also, if the first half of your game sucks, people will never finish it and will likely go complain on the internet about what a bad game it is. However, if the first half is good and the second half sucks, people are more likely to give it a pass, since they'll have gotten more enjoyment out of it. Finally we know from various metrics (like achievements) that the vast majority of gamers never finish games, so it makes sense to invest more in the parts of the game that the most people will play.

This isn't universal, of course, I thought the latest South Park game had far better content at the end than for it did for the first 75% for example, just a sort of tendency.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I also wonder how many gamers stick with games just for the sunken cost fallacy. Like they already put 20 hours into a game so they feel they must finish it. Or if the game has no ending like LoL or Hearthstone then it just becomes a loop.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hi, Just discovered this thread and will go back and read through it. I’ve been in the industry for 18 years now, worked for pretty much every major publisher except Ubisoft (EA, WB, Sony, Activision) in many types of games, (Shooters, MMOs, RPGs, Mobiles)

My biggest comment that I’d make from where I’ve read through so far is that for some places crunch is so engrained that it’s not even considered crunch. I was talking to some of the Shadow of Mordor people a few years back, (Right after the first game shipped.) and they said things were going great and they weren’t even crunching for the new title yet, just 60 hour weeks...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Chernabog posted:

I also wonder how many gamers stick with games just for the sunken cost fallacy. Like they already put 20 hours into a game so they feel they must finish it. Or if the game has no ending like LoL or Hearthstone then it just becomes a loop.

This hit me hard with single player open world games. The longer a story driven game pulls on, the more i tend to expect the payoff of the story to blow my face off and while there have been a few (jesus, Nier: Automata did), there have been plenty like farcry 3, farcry 4, mgs5, fallout 3 and 4 , skyrim, etc that just drag on way long and haven't a hope. I kept going in those games with that expectation and :sigh:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Speaking as a gamer, rather than a developer, I think that you're right in that a game has a certain amount of gameplay in it, and that's a different thing to the amount of content in it. If I'm playing the newest Assassin's Creed game, I might have experienced all of the gameplay the game offers in the first 15 hours, while there's enough content to drag the game on for 40 hours, meaning I'm fairly bored for the last 25 hours, and may well just not finish the game.

I can't point to any figures, but it seems to me that over the last decade adding progression systems (or RPG elements or whatever people are calling them) has become more and more popular across genres. At the same time, I also feel like the gap between length of content and length of gameplay has widened in many cases, particularly in AAA open world games; I assume that this is partially a result of distributed development and the fact that more bodies can be thrown at (or rotated on to) generating content for a project while its harder to do the same for systems development. I feel like these two things may be related (progression can keep you invested when new gameplay runs out), but I could be talking out of my rear end.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

In Skyrim there was a meme about the voice line "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee."

This is a reasonable line of dialog to have some character say somewhere once in the game, but for some reason the line got recorded many times in many different voices and then given to the ultra-common town guards as one of the 5 or so things they'd say repeatedly. Hence, the meme.

Does anyone have any insight into why something like this happens? Why record the same line in different voices, rather than just some other banal phrase?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The short answer is that everything costs money so fewer things cost less money. Also, was that line really recorded in multiple voices? I only remember the one. (I wouldn't be surprised though).

Also, I'm betting that there are a TON more than just 5 other lines and people latched on to that one because memes so it eclipsed all others. Likely a certain class of characters was given a library of generic response lines to pull from and that was in that library.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

mutata posted:

The short answer is that everything costs money so fewer things cost less money. Also, was that line really recorded in multiple voices? I only remember the one. (I wouldn't be surprised though).

Also, I'm betting that there are a TON more than just 5 other lines and people latched on to that one because memes so it eclipsed all others. Likely a certain class of characters was given a library of generic response lines to pull from and that was in that library.
I didn't play much skyrim but they've definitely done the same line in multiple voices for the Fallout games as well.

It strikes me as very odd that recording voice actors would be cheaper than writing/translating a few more lines of generic dialog.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm not sure, obviously, but they likely wrote a big list of generic lines and then just had multiple voice actors record off of that list. It most likely wasn't a question of "Ok, we finished Voice Actor Harry's list, now let's write Voice Actor Joe's list" but more like "Ok, Voice Actor Harry, we've finished the 3 characters you'll be voicing but we're still paying for another hour of your time. Would you mind doing some lines from our generic list for us?"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I didn't play much skyrim but they've definitely done the same line in multiple voices for the Fallout games as well.

It strikes me as very odd that recording voice actors would be cheaper than writing/translating a few more lines of generic dialog.

Basically what was said above.

You get sheet A of “Generic responses” and you have the person read through them in about 10 minutes. Then sheet B of “Unique dialog” that they read through in another 10 minutes. Then you send them on their way. They’re an industry minimum for their time and is done usually months before the game ships so hope sheet B didn’t have too much plot info that is going to be changed / fine tuned in post. (See also their union striking against video game publishers for the past year.)

I remember the worse for this was a project with Laurence Fishburne where like 90% of the dialog recorded was invalidated with the first DLC after we’d brought him in 2-3 times during production.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

How many different stock foley sound libraries are out there? I still hear sfx from Goldeneye 64 popping up in movies and tv at least once a week.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

How many different stock foley sound libraries are out there? I still hear sfx from Goldeneye 64 popping up in movies and tv at least once a week.

Don’t ever YouTube a Wilhelm Screen Compilation...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

In Skyrim there was a meme about the voice line "I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee."

This is a reasonable line of dialog to have some character say somewhere once in the game, but for some reason the line got recorded many times in many different voices and then given to the ultra-common town guards as one of the 5 or so things they'd say repeatedly. Hence, the meme.

Does anyone have any insight into why something like this happens? Why record the same line in different voices, rather than just some other banal phrase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Any idea why in the 90s so many non-Japanese games, even high profile games, hired absolutely terrible concept and cover artists? Amateurish linework, janky anatomy, abysmal coloring etc. I say non-Japanese because I'm left with the impression that the Japanese hired actual professionals instead of comic book industry rejects

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

hackbunny posted:

so many non-Japanese games, even high profile games
Could you be more specific?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hackbunny posted:

Any idea why in the 90s so many non-Japanese games, even high profile games, hired absolutely terrible concept and cover artists? Amateurish linework, janky anatomy, abysmal coloring etc. I say non-Japanese because I'm left with the impression that the Japanese hired actual professionals instead of comic book industry rejects

Or maybe because they had a much larger comic book industry with way more rejects.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

hackbunny posted:

its that thing where a bad artist (rob liefield) got successful despite being categorically awful at every aspect of his job except one can only assume he reliably made deadlines, and then everyone in comics started copying the thing that was successful despite nobody particularly liking it very much, and then non comics copied an rear end-thetic that was everywhere in comics when going for "That Comic Book Look"

Also you spend less money on art when you spend money on a poor man's liefield.

also

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or maybe because they had a much larger comic book industry with way more rejects.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

OneEightHundred posted:

Could you be more specific?

The art director, cover artist and promo artist for Street Fighter 2 was Akira motherfucking Yasuda. The artist for the American cover was a self-admitted kitsch painter, who... wasn't very good. Alright, maybe compared to a living legend like Akiman, anyone would look like a mild embarrassment at best. Maybe I'm being unfair. But...

Toby Gard (Tomb Raider):

Charles Zembillas (Crash Bandicoot):

Adrian Carmack (Doom):

Kevin Cloud (Doom):

Samwise Didier (Warcraft):

Kevin Kilstrom (Blood):

Various, unnamed (Shogo):

Come on, let's be honest: these guys weren't very good. When these embarrassments somehow ended up in press kits, I felt bad for the developers

And I'll never understand the obsession everyone seemed to have for lovely CGI covers back then, to the point of American publishers replacing well designed, timeless covers with instantly dated CGI that didn't look good even at the time

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 5, 2018

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I suspect a lot of studios pulled in artists who were game artists first and concept artists second. More generalists and mixed roles at smaller studios, which were a lot more common in those days.

So yeah, the one or two artists designing characters would be later modelling, rigging and animating them and those are hugely disparate skillsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'd guess that a lot of it just came down to the fact that the job market for being good at drawing characters was a lot thinner in the US, which only really had comics and cartoons that were almost exclusively marketed to kids. Game budgets were also tiny (especially for PC games), and there was also a desire to not use Japanese illustrations on the cover art because they looked too cartoony and too obviously Japanese.

Charles Zembillas worked on kids' TV shows before he worked on Crash, and most of the other ones listed were mixed-role.

hackbunny posted:

And I'll never understand the obsession everyone seemed to have for lovely CGI covers back then, to the point of American publishers replacing well designed, timeless covers with instantly dated CGI that didn't look good even at the time
Because Americans had a stigma against illustrations anyway (see above) and everyone was on this hot new "computer-generated graphics" craze like flies on poo poo. The dazzle factor of being high-tech was more important than being, you know, artistically good for a long, long time, which should be obvious enough from how aggressively 2D anything was abandoned when 3D acceleration hardware started hitting the market, and even before that when games like Donkey Kong Country, Vector Man, and Myst were being created.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 5, 2018