Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

Wait, so you're available for the 2nd? I thought you were going to be occupied? At least by what kaynorr has posted, anyway.

got it cleared up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

got it cleared up

Well poo poo then, real certified-authentic D&D will happen next Tuesday!

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 28, 2017

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Next Tuesday means tomorrow, right? That's when we're playing?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Next Tuesday means tomorrow, right? That's when we're playing?

Your calculations are correct. The stars have aligned, and the portents are not just favorable but DEMANDING that we play tonight. There is not much that is assured in this new year of 2018, but I can almost guarantee that tonight's session will not live up to the hype. Maybe. Depends upon how excited y'all are for it. It will definitely be A Thing. A Thing that happens tonight, Tuesday, January 2nd at 7 PM PST.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Your calculations are correct. The stars have aligned, and the portents are not just favorable but DEMANDING that we play tonight. There is not much that is assured in this new year of 2018, but I can almost guarantee that tonight's session will not live up to the hype. Maybe. Depends upon how excited y'all are for it. It will definitely be A Thing. A Thing that happens tonight, Tuesday, January 2nd at 7 PM PST.

wow lowered expectations?!?!?!

I need this to be the best session we've ever had to start off 2018 right!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'mma kill a guy

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
This is the session where a PC dies

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gharbad the Weak posted:

This is the session where a PC dies

the demon needs a new rig anyhow

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Gimme ten minutes

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
No one named technically died. This feels weird.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
How would you tell? You didn't even remember who your girlfriend was

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gharbad the Weak posted:

How would you tell? You didn't even remember who your girlfriend was

she is not a construct.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

she is not a construct.

Probably not. Almost definitely not.

Maybe. You should ask her, I'm sure she'll tell you.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

Probably not. Almost definitely not.

Maybe. You should ask her, I'm sure she'll tell you.

Everything is lies

Also for the 9th I won't be free. Work poo poo

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

With both Herr Togo and Cerepol unavailable this Tuesday, we're back to board game night. After another trip into Steam's catalog, Lords of Waterdeep is looking like the winner. Tabletop Simulator is more hank than I want to deal with right now, and (sorry Gharbad) I can't find anything that's purely co-operative so we'll have to maintain civility while being at each other's throats.

Feedback? Would folks like to do this on Tuesday as opposed to just chilling out?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I'm down for whatever.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

The blessings of Avandra have gone forth.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Will be a bit late for board games maybe 15-20 min.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How'd it go?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

How'd it go?

As a result of me not understanding how the game clock worked, TheDemon ended up timed out of the last ~2 turns of the game, which did not prevent him from winning anyway. Some combination of his extremely smart play and the AI not being a complete fuckup.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
How's stuff looking for this week?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm good to go.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

How'd it go?

It's a fun game but also requires a fair bit of reading and kind of quiet. Although that may have just been because the players were me, Kaynorr, and Al Baron. Probably a good kind of game to have a conversation over, since a lot of time is spent waiting for someone else to do their turn.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

TheDemon posted:

It's a fun game but also requires a fair bit of reading and kind of quiet. Although that may have just been because the players were me, Kaynorr, and Al Baron. Probably a good kind of game to have a conversation over, since a lot of time is spent waiting for someone else to do their turn.

Yeah, it's a lot like Settlers of Catan or Carcasonne in that almost all the interaction between players is indirect in terms of being the first to grab a resource or finish a quest. I'll cop to watching GDQ on another montitor so I wasn't as talkative as I could have been.

Tonight, though, we return to Seaquen which has 18 hours to prepare for the world's first aerial army insertion. Khagan Onamdammin has brought several thousand of his close personal friends to the christening of the Tempest, it would be embarrassing to show up with less. There are decisions to be made, preparations to be prepared, and tearful goodbyes to be said. IT'S WAR BABY, and it starts tonight Tuesday, January 16 at 7 PM PST.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey guys, what did I miss?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
when did you drop out again?

Also tonight?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

"Veterans of the War of the Burning Sky are not hard to find. Every major power on the continent participated in the conflict, and at its height there were estimated to be a hundred thousand soldiers at arms across both sides of the conflict. Standing armies were bolstered by civilian levies, and almost all of those men and women returned to their normal lives once the war ended. They would carry with them the memories and scars of the conflict for the rest of their lives, and I spoke to more than a few of them while doing research for the book you now hold in your hands. They fought for all the usual reasons sung about in a tavern bard's songs - love of country, duty to their families and communities, revenge against an empire that had wronged them, or perhaps because they had nowhere else to go and it seemed to offer a way out.

There did seem to be one group, however, that stood apart from the rest. What distinguished them was not ability or prowess in arms, but the fact that they were at the right place at the right time. The word always came down suddenly - everyone was to muster in a field or open space some distance from camp. Not the entire force, just a regiment here or a company there. Then a golden pillar of fire shot through the sky, almost in the center of the mass of soldiers. A brief moment of confusion, then another dazzling eruption of fire and they found themselves in Seaquen being told they were about to take place in a battle that would be like no other.

It sounded fantastic, impossible - airships were made up, everyone knew that. And yet everyone higher up seemed very earnest about it; drop off your old gear at one spot, pick up new gear at another spot, go wait in a third spot and meet up with the rest of your new unit. Men with unfamiliar badges (the first time the now familiar spearpoint on a blue field would be seen) organized the entire operation literally overnight, and somehow everyone was mustered and ready in under a day. There wasn't a lot of ceremony when they left - the mission itself lent it all the gravitas it needed. Eventually every piece of this vast machine was put into place, and the soldiers could see a small knot of men and women - the Stormbreakers themselves! - move into the center of the army. The smallest of that group held the Torch of the Burning Sky aloft, and fire carried them away to their destination."

- A History of the Burning Sky
Professor Kristin Highhill

Three supervillains, two armies, and an immense skywhale. Sounds like a party to me. The party starts tonight Tuesday, January 23rd at 7 PM PST.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Sorry for the short notice but I can't make it today.

If someone needs to play Jade she's actually a lot simpler these days:

roll free d20 as no action, oath as free, teleport up to 5, use Soulforge Hammering (put the effect on first), use Soulforge Hammering again as minor, next round you can use Soulforge Hammering again as a minor, if you run out of hammers use Overwhelming Strike and prone

if you crit spread stacking radiant vul around and use a solitaire (1/enc), if you crit (1/enc) or AP (1/enc) recover Soulforge Hammering (or an interrupt) and keep hammering, defend with interrupts or if you have extra minors mark

make sure to put Aversion debuff on oathed or marked enemies, make sure to put up concealment if you move 3+ in a turn

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 23, 2018

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Guys. Guys

I'm sorry but I am now on family member health watch. I am a HARD maybe.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Family Member Health Watch is v important

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

You will have to all wait another week to find out what happens on the deck of the Tempest. I hope all family members are well.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
meds, doctors, phones, and blood pressure.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
tomorrow?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

tomorrow?

Which is now today.

kaynorr posted:

"Veterans of the War of the Burning Sky are not hard to find. Every major power on the continent participated in the conflict, and at its height there were estimated to be a hundred thousand soldiers at arms across both sides of the conflict. Standing armies were bolstered by civilian levies, and almost all of those men and women returned to their normal lives once the war ended. They would carry with them the memories and scars of the conflict for the rest of their lives, and I spoke to more than a few of them while doing research for the book you now hold in your hands. They fought for all the usual reasons sung about in a tavern bard's songs - love of country, duty to their families and communities, revenge against an empire that had wronged them, or perhaps because they had nowhere else to go and it seemed to offer a way out.

There did seem to be one group, however, that stood apart from the rest. What distinguished them was not ability or prowess in arms, but the fact that they were at the right place at the right time. The word always came down suddenly - everyone was to muster in a field or open space some distance from camp. Not the entire force, just a regiment here or a company there. Then a golden pillar of fire shot through the sky, almost in the center of the mass of soldiers. A brief moment of confusion, then another dazzling eruption of fire and they found themselves in Seaquen being told they were about to take place in a battle that would be like no other.

It sounded fantastic, impossible - airships were made up, everyone knew that. And yet everyone higher up seemed very earnest about it; drop off your old gear at one spot, pick up new gear at another spot, go wait in a third spot and meet up with the rest of your new unit. Men with unfamiliar badges (the first time the now familiar spearpoint on a blue field would be seen) organized the entire operation literally overnight, and somehow everyone was mustered and ready in under a day. There wasn't a lot of ceremony when they left - the mission itself lent it all the gravitas it needed. Eventually every piece of this vast machine was put into place, and the soldiers could see a small knot of men and women - the Stormbreakers themselves! - move into the center of the army. The smallest of that group held the Torch of the Burning Sky aloft, and fire carried them away to their destination."

Due to some strange power of the Torch, a teleportation that should have taken an instant has felt as if it had a duration of two weeks. I'm sure nothing is wrong with the underlying fabric of reality. The boarding party kicks off tonight Tuesday, January 30th at 7 PM PST.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Here

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

NEW WISHLIST:
Boots of Teleportation (28)
Ring of Free Time (29)
Starweave Greater Armor of Eyes +6 (29) (or upgrade of existing Efreetweave +5 to Starweave +6)
Eager Hero's Tattoo (epic tier) (30)

and strike all the old items off the old wishlist please

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
So how's tomorrow looking?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

So how's tomorrow looking?

good for me I just gotta level my dude lol

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've been sick enough that I actually haven't leveled my dude

edit: clearly I'm going to make it to game time though, it's not the plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

"For those who fought on the Tempest, the memory of that time seems more prominent than anything else they may have done during the War of the Burning Sky. It's not hard to understand why - a battlefield thousands of squares off the ground, hemmed in not by an impenetrable valley or some unknown coastline, but a sheer drop instead - there was no where to go but down if your flank was rolled up. Survivors of the Tempest always spoke of a special bond of those they fought with in that battle, a shared experience both exhilarating and terrifying. Luckily the ship itself only lurched on a few occasions, and those at the edges were amongst the most hardened mountaineers of Dassen - ready to grab onto anything (including each other) as a lifeline when they might tumble to their death. It's to General Kiernan's credit that forces were arrayed as they were - whatever failings his command may have had, he understood the completely unique nature of the battlefield and was able to fight on it as if he had been training on a two-mile-long airship his entire life."

Falling off isn't really something you'll have to worry about, where you're going. Find out what lies beneath the skin of the Tempest tonight Tuesday, February 6th at 7 PM PST.

• Locked thread